Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Donald Trump and the ghouls that follow him are an existential threat to the United States of America in a way that the neocon ghouls are not. I don't like Joe's reaching across the aisle attempts either, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend, for right now.

This is the way people need to look at it. Electing Biden is a vital battle, but it's part of a continued fight. If Trump wins, the war is already lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Lincoln project is not your friend.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Donald Trump and the ghouls that follow him are an existential threat to the United States of America in a way that the neocon ghouls are not. I don't like Joe's reaching across the aisle attempts either, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend, for right now.

Edit: The moment Joe is elected, it's clear that the left will have to drag him in our direction. But that's infinitely better than the alternative.

Exactly. You're going to see repeats of the Kent State massacre over the whole country after four more years of Trump normalising violence against protesters. I don't even need to pretend to like Lincoln project to be happy they're causing the guy some pain.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 29, 2020

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1321619964634214411

Welp, so much for trying to prevent people from getting sick and dying.
Pretty much this.
https://i.imgur.com/zJqx7cY.gifv

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Charlz Guybon posted:

Now this is an internet throwback targeted squarely at Xennials.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1321638682395398149

Ugh I had to stop watching, this is just annoying. What nexts, shibe president? “wow such COVID, much fail”.

This is the most pathetic thing I’ve ever seen from Tuck. Seriously watch to see how sad it is. “They had their security people interview *Everyone* who touched our letter, we spoke to delivery company executives who were *baffled*” yeah, none of that happened dude, you can file a claim on FedEx’s website and they get back to you in a few days with “lol, sorry you can file a claim up to $100 if you sprung for the insurance”

It’s like this is the *only* copy of some documents! Lets not make any photocopies or electronic copies even though this is 2020! Send them overnight via FedEx! Oppsie doodle! They got lost, how could that possibly happen uwu

He’s actually making a case for why USPS is a good thing! the loving postal service who have literal laws that prevent the mail from being opened and actual postal inspectors who follow-up on that poo poo.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wiltsghost posted:

Wasn't Nicholson at a Bernie rally like a year ago. Pretty sure he's ok.

Deptfordx posted:

I believe that Nicholson is famously, a colossal rear end in a top hat. Personally if not politically.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

If anyone here knows anyone who would vote for the guy on the left and haven't told them what a complete piece of poo poo they are because they are your mom or something, can we switch places for a day? Someone needs to tell them that. Holy poo poo.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 29, 2020

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

OAquinas posted:

The thing with Ossoff is that he did worse than a literally fake, made up dem the previous election. That kind of thing gives you a rep.
I'm not familiar with this one, is that Ossoff vs Generic Dem in 2017 or something?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My alternate theory on the Tucker Carlson theory is that he was trolled. Someone called him like "I am Jorge Ivanovich and I have documents that will lead to the arrest of Joe Biden" and Tucker asked him to mail the documents. Then the troll mailed Tucker an empty box or dog poop in a box or something and now he needs to backtrack his claim so he's claiming it was stolen.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is the way people need to look at it. Electing Biden is a vital battle, but it's part of a continued fight. If Trump wins, the war is already lost.

Correct. It's the beginning of a long process. We need to use the complete shitshow of the last year and next few months to push radical change. We're going to have millions homeless and hungry people soon, thanks to Senate inaction. Seems like a good idea to just show up en masse at Congressional and Senate offices and just say "we have nowhere else to be. That doesn't change until you help us. Until you do, here we'll stay."

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

My alternate theory on the Tucker Carlson theory is that he was trolled. Someone called him like "I am Jorge Ivanovich and I have documents that will lead to the arrest of Joe Biden" and Tucker asked him to mail the documents. Then the troll mailed Tucker an empty box or dog poop in a box or something and now he needs to backtrack his claim so he's claiming it was stolen.

It's almost assuredly some variation of this.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

Most likely legal shot the story down

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Nahh. You can acknowledge that they're doing something helpful without them being your friend. Those motherfuckers are not the #resistance... they are the #cause.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I received about twenty mailers with the cover "JON OSSOFF SUPPORTS TERRORISM" over the last month. They claim he has financial ties to Al Jazeera, and Al Jazeera supports terrorists, so he's obviously a terrorist. It's just wild to me that in 2020 there's such regressive islamophobia being used as a scare tactic.

fake edit: they've been doing this since 2017 gently caress
https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/jon-ossoff-and-jazeera-the-truth-far-more-interesting/mx9Je0M4q875VVNSIAlQ3H/

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bel Shazar posted:

Nahh. You can acknowledge that they're doing something helpful without them being your friend. Those motherfuckers are not the #resistance... they are the #cause.

You’re also not going to accomplish anything meaningful without them. There will be no leftist revolution

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Charlz Guybon posted:

Now this is an internet throwback targeted squarely at Xennials.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1321638682395398149

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ewiley posted:

Ugh I had to stop watching, this is just annoying. What nexts, shibe president? “wow such COVID, much fail”.

This is the most pathetic thing I’ve ever seen from Tuck. Seriously watch to see how sad it is. “They had their security people interview *Everyone* who touched our letter, we spoke to delivery company executives who were *baffled*” yeah, none of that happened dude, you can file a claim on FedEx’s website and they get back to you in a few days with “lol, sorry you can file a claim up to $100 if you sprung for the insurance”

It’s like this is the *only* copy of some documents! Lets not make any photocopies or electronic copies even though this is 2020! Send them overnight via FedEx! Oppsie doodle! They got lost, how could that possibly happen uwu

He’s actually making a case for why USPS is a good thing! the loving postal service who have literal laws that prevent the mail from being opened and actual postal inspectors who follow-up on that poo poo.

I also love how absurdly detailed their story is. "We had tracking information on exactly where it was up until 3:44 AM! Then we backtracked through every sorting facility, every truck, every plane, interviewed every handler..." Like dude man, there's a point beyond which your making up details no longer serves to make the story sound authentic and only makes the listener realize "Wait am I hearing an entire segment dedicated to explaining how the dog totally ate the homework because he has been known to eat homework and homework is his favorite food and the first such instance occurred in 2014 when..."

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

if dems have ANY chance of court packing in the near future, they absolutely HAVE to win the senate this time around.

I’m not directing this at the quoted poster, but I honestly don’t understand why Democrats think that normalizing court packing will result in a different long term beat down than their efforts to normalize simple majority judicial confirmations did? Do people honesty believe the right will never retake the Senate and Executive again, and when they do, they won’t double down, even more brutally, on whatever the left does?

This just feels like burning your hand in the hot stove, so this time you’re going to test it with your face instead.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I’m not directing this at the quoted poster, but I honestly don’t understand why Democrats think that normalizing court packing will result in a different long term beat down than their efforts to normalize simple majority judicial confirmations did? Do people honesty believe the right will never retake the Senate and Executive again, and when they do, they won’t double down, even more brutally, on whatever the left does?

This just feels like burning your hand in the hot stove, so this time you’re going to test it with your face instead.

The GOP is probably kicking themselves for not thinking to pack the court between 2016-2018. No matter what the Dems do if they win, don’t think for a second that they GOP won’t add later on... just to make sure they can hold onto minority rule where possible.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

There is historical precedent for this and it didn’t happen then. I’m not sure why tradition is so important when it comes to doing whatever we can to literally stop the ghouls.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The problem, as a few people has mentioned is now that the Republicans have this on the national consciousness, they will court pack once they get back control regardless of whether or not Dems do it. McConnell has already started hinting as much.

So either we change the rules of the Court and make it a game of hot potato ( which has limits within itself ), at the same time introducing new states to help solidify Senate, change back a bunch of gerrymandering, and introduce new rules to stop voter suppression to make it harder for Republicans to win things back.

Or we shrug, say "decorum!" and do nothing for 4 years and let them steal the next election.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

The point of court packing is to make the court less legitimate. The country cannot survive unless the legislature actually functions as a lawmaking body rather than pawning off every politically-difficult task to the courts or the executive.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

nah posted:

You’re also not going to accomplish anything meaningful without them. There will be no leftist revolution

If the tent is big enough for the loving Lincoln project, it's too drat big. This isn't even is complaining about centrist democrats.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Perdue isn't exactly difficult to run against and Ossoff has had 3 years to learn how not to talk like a DC robot.

He'll give a great concession speech and then move back to DC, either in a Biden cabinet position or some think tank. Happy for him, he's worked hard, he deserves this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

nah posted:

If our only hope for this country is to rely on the same people that wanted Trump in power, then there was never any hope to be had.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Lincoln Project is more likely to sway former Republicans / Undecideds than anything Democrats do. That means, in theory, there's less temptation for Democrats to try to appeal to them. It's not about making the tent big enough for them, it's really the opposite. Just ignore them and hope it works. Nothing we can do about it anyway.

Although if you think we shouldn't post their stuff here to get more views, I understand that.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

DarkCrawler posted:

If anyone here knows anyone who would vote for the guy on the left and haven't told them what a complete piece of poo poo they are because they are your mom or something, can we switch places for a day? Someone needs to tell them that. Holy poo poo.

That would be me and my mother.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Paracaidas posted:

I'm not familiar with this one, is that Ossoff vs Generic Dem in 2017 or something?
Ossoff's only only political campaign was running in the 2017 special election for Tom Price's old GA-6 seat after he got appointed to HHS by Trump (a position he'd have to resign from a few months after the election to replace him occured).

In that election, Ossoff got 48% of the initial votes from a field of 18 candidates, but didn't crack the 50% threshold required to prevent a run-off. In the run-off he lost to 2nd place GOP candidate Karen Handel, who in a two-person race was able to hoover up all of the votes that were split like 12 ways by all of the Republicans who were on the first ballot.

The runoff election had Handel at 51.78% (134,799) to Ossoff's 48.22% (125, 517). This was the closest the district had been in almost thirty years, and in 2018 the seat flipped Democrat for the first time since 1978, when Newt Gingrich won it as part of the New Right's second wave of Southern Strategizing.

I think what the poster was referring to was Price's 2016 opponent, Rodney Stooksbury who ran unopposed to be the Democratic candidate in a +9R district where they frequently didn't even field a candidate. Stooksbury essentially did not campaign (or appear in public or have a website) and was reported as getting more votes in the main election (124,917) than Ossoff did in the initial special election (92,673) but that's ignoring that the "ghost" Democrat was on a Presidential Election ballot in 2016, and Ossoff was part of what boiled down to a jungle primary in the summer of 2017 with significantly less turnout, as you might expect for any non-presidential election, much less a special election held in April.

When the run-off happened and it was a two person race (still in a special election in the summer of an off year), Ossoff still "only" got like 800 more raw votes than Stooksbury, but he also lost by 3% compared to Stooks's 23%.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 29, 2020

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Srice posted:

If our only hope for this country is to rely on the same people that wanted Trump in power, then there was never any hope to be had.

No one will give a poo poo about the Lincoln Project after the election. But them working to get Biden elected is a good thing. If they drive more people to the polls to vote for Biden, that will also help all the down ballot Dems (many of whom are more progressive than Biden), and if anyone registered to vote because of that poo poo, well, that’s one less hurdle for progressives to clear in 2022 to get votes in the primaries.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Lincoln party is the enemy of our enemy, no more no less.

Don't give them money, but also don't defend Trump when they start calling him out for being an incompetent monster, that's about the best you can do.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

nah posted:

No one will give a poo poo about the Lincoln Project after the election. But them working to get Biden elected is a good thing. If they drive more people to the polls to vote for Biden, that will also help all the down ballot Dems (many of whom are more progressive than Biden), and if anyone registered to vote because of that poo poo, well, that’s one less hurdle for progressives to clear in 2022 to get votes in the primaries.
Also, the Lincoln Project is essentially a continuation of the Never Trump movement. These people never wanted Trump in power in the first place.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Data Graham posted:

I also love how absurdly detailed their story is. "We had tracking information on exactly where it was up until 3:44 AM! Then we backtracked through every sorting facility, every truck, every plane, interviewed every handler..." Like dude man, there's a point beyond which your making up details no longer serves to make the story sound authentic and only makes the listener realize "Wait am I hearing an entire segment dedicated to explaining how the dog totally ate the homework because he has been known to eat homework and homework is his favorite food and the first such instance occurred in 2014 when..."

My favorite part is how they had detailed photos of what the documents look like that they gave to the handlers as they searched the "cavernous" mail sorting facility - but they don't have copies of the actual documents....., just lol!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Lincoln party is the enemy of our enemy, no more no less.

Don't give them money, but also don't defend Trump when they start calling him out for being an incompetent monster, that's about the best you can do.

If we're using 'Cartoonish Villainy' as the standard, think of Lincoln Project as you would the Shredder, or Hoggish Greedly. They are not good people, we're fighting them and their minions constantly, but right now we're fighting the weird Evil Alien or Ancient Oil Monster from Fern Gully, and we have to team up to take it down. Once it's put back down and the dust settles, you go right back to fighting them.

I know it is a lot more complicated than that, but gently caress it, these people were already cartoonishly evil before, why not use cartoonish metaphors?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

If we're using 'Cartoonish Villainy' as the standard, think of Lincoln Project as you would the Shredder, or Hoggish Greedly. They are not good people, we're fighting them and their minions constantly, but right now we're fighting the weird Evil Alien or Ancient Oil Monster from Fern Gully, and we have to team up to take it down. Once it's put back down and the dust settles, you go right back to fighting them.

I know it is a lot more complicated than that, but gently caress it, these people were already cartoonishly evil before, why not use cartoonish metaphors?

You mean like Cobra Commander when his loser brother got addicted to drugs and also a GI Joe guy got addicted to drugs, so Cobra and GI Joe teamed up to stop the drug dealer?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kind of like that comic where Joker met Red Skull and was like "I may be a crazy person but I'm an American crazy person, gently caress this guy"

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

So... I haven't been paying much attention to GA outside of it looks like they're leaning towards Biden after voting Trump in 2016. But I now see that both senate seats might flip too?? Since when was GA not a red state?? I hope their down ballot races end up looking like this too

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Data Graham posted:

Well gee, like any 5yo knows, just keep adding details! Yeah, that makes the lie more believable, right?? Yeah, a dog ate it! A brown dog! With red eyes and white teeth! And he GROWLED at me!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Anytime I see the facebook boomer text but in jpeg format thing I just automatically assume it's either some weird racist and/or far right screed OR cloying motivational thing that is difficult to actually apply in today's society and don't pay attention to it admittedly. It's such a weird thing, like I don't know why they all do that.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

“His love for America and its citizens has come through loud and clear”

Literally when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Stickman posted:

Four of the five nutbar justices already made it very clear that they were sympathetic to overturning the PA Supreme Court decision on extremely shaky legal ground. The original petition should have been categorically denied certification for lack of jurisdiction. Without SCOTUS' interference, the PA Supreme Court's decision would have been the last word (as it should have been), so no, that's not the source of uncertainty. Now we get to wait and see how SCOTUS will rule if it turns out to actually matter, and I'm sure we all have a pretty drat good guess.

The argument for federal jurisdiction here is actually less wingnut that you may think.

The Constitution says the elections shall be conducted in a manner as the state legislatures describe.

"Constitution Art. I §4 posted:

"The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof..."

If you are alleging that the PA Supreme Court usurped that role from the PA Legislature, then it becomes a federal question.