Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Lord_Magmar posted:

But it's not abstract at all. It's world-building, it's really quite literally building the world of the setting. Most of the "wacky" as you call it is largely from Piltover and Zaun, including the cat, which is a place where steampunk and crystal magitek run rampant, it's appropriate for them to have things like the battlemech cat because they're the place that builds magic robots anyway.

It's also not just "this animation invokes stage lighting" it's, this animation is literally part of an animated pop star performance that would fit in the real world. It's a break in the versimillitude of the setting of the card game. It would be vastly preferable if there was at least an alternative version of the cards that at least is built into the setting of Runeterra.

There are a good number of people who were super into the card game specifically because it expands on the lore and setting of Runeterra, and these cards break that in a way that's awkward and they didn't have to. Each region has a clear tone and consistency to it's art and animations and the K/DA stuff has none of that, it's all K/DA.

At the cost of potentially being got. Runeterra is the name for the planet the card game is set in, there's a map of the currently relevant locations here. It's honestly a pretty nice little animated map for the setting.

Thanks for the map. Not getting you, just have never played League of Legends.

I'm curious about how the card game builds on the lore. Also, is K/DA not part of Runeterra? I don't know anything about them, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Lord_Magmar posted:

There are a good number of people who were super into the card game specifically because it expands on the lore and setting of Runeterra, and these cards break that in a way that's awkward and they didn't have to.
Yeah, I'm super into the card game and one of the reasons is because it expands the lore and setting in a really cool way. There being a handful of cards that (arguably, very, very arguably) don't fit the setting doesn't undo that though - it's not like they deleted existing cards to make room for them lol

Strawberry Panda posted:

I'm curious about how the card game builds on the lore.
You can right click the cards for flavour text is the main way but it's also cool seeing more about the varying regions and their culture from the cards than you would pick up from just seeing their champions in league of legends. It's a perfectly valid reason to play the game but it's completely not affected in the slightest by there being cards that are technically non-canon, even if where you draw the line for "stuff that fits in the setting" is between "they have wonderful steampunk technology that can do almost anything" and "they could use that wonderful steampunk technology to put on a concert" :v:

I think they might've retconned it at some point but the original lore for league of legends was that it was an in-world e-sport. Also the newest champion in league is a literal, in-universe pop idol. I can totally understand not liking the new cards (I don't like a lot of the old cards lol) but claiming that it somehow devalues their super serious setting is asinine.

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.
I personally would not have noticed that the cards were K/DA-themed if I wasn't told before hand.

Some of the emotes and card backs are actually visibly K/DA-branded. They're way more immersion-breaking than the spells.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's also not just "this animation invokes stage lighting" it's, this animation is literally part of an animated pop star performance that would fit in the real world. It's a break in the versimillitude of the setting of the card game. It would be vastly preferable if there was at least an alternative version of the cards that at least is built into the setting of Runeterra.

Before the cards came out I honestly gave zero shits about the whole K/DA thing. But the pop star performances on spell cast are actually super jarring. It's much more immersion-breaking than I expected, and I didn't think I cared much about immersion in this game.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

fireraiser posted:

I personally would not have noticed that the cards were K/DA-themed if I wasn't told before hand.

Some of the emotes and card backs are actually visibly K/DA-branded. They're way more immersion-breaking than the spells.

The kda sleeves are basically like someone having anime girl sleeves at the magic table. Don't see why they needed to add that to my digital game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

When I last quit eternal they were doing an entire set based on a parallel world with alternate versions of known characters and I can totally see runeterra doing that once all the regions are in.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
First time I've been tempted to put money into this game seeing how much salt the KDA stuff is generating.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

DrManiac posted:

When I last quit eternal they were doing an entire set based on a parallel world with alternate versions of known characters and I can totally see runeterra doing that once all the regions are in.

I say this as someone who loves parallel worlds and mirror universes, but it's definitely something you do after you've explored X amount of the prime universe, and I don't think Eternal had hit that point yet.

I think "space Runeterra" would be awesome and I'm down to throw money at it.

I think the problem I have with K/DA is not that it's immersion breaking, but that it's inconsistent. Is it in the universe, or not? The music video seems to say no, but the Seraphine hero reveal says she's in P&Z?

And that problem is, like, a 3/10. I still immediately paid cash for the Event and don't really care.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
The KDA stuff is whatever, what annoys me more is that there's still no spectator mode or any infrastructure to facilitate learning the game (like replays) or running tournaments. If you want your game to take off, shouldn't you give your players the in-game tools to run tournaments and improve, so they're not, e.g., resorting to cropping the screenshare/stream of the players so you can see their cards? Is it just me?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

If this weren't League of Legends, with ten years of alt universe skins that are the primary way the game makes money, I would probably be less happy with this type of event. As it stands I'm just ambivalent. This is the age of the vtuber, this poo poo is going to happen more over time and either we accept it or move on.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

CitizenKeen posted:

I think the problem I have with K/DA is not that it's immersion breaking, but that it's inconsistent. Is it in the universe, or not? The music video seems to say no, but the Seraphine hero reveal says she's in P&Z?

And that problem is, like, a 3/10. I still immediately paid cash for the Event and don't really care.
KDA is not in regular Runeterra, they are a kpop band living in our reality who post on twitter accounts.
Seraphine in Runeterra though is also a famous singer, but instead of kpop she in in Piltover and her music is powered by the souls of skarners dead family.

neaden fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 30, 2020

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's easy to conflate Seraphine's lore with the KDA stuff because they basically debuted her with KDA before ever getting around to her actual League lore stuff. You kinda have to go looking for her lore about being in Piltover whereas we've been bombarded with her "streamer to pop star" story going on with KDA.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's easy to conflate Seraphine's lore with the KDA stuff because they basically debuted her with KDA before ever getting around to her actual League lore stuff. You kinda have to go looking for her lore about being in Piltover whereas we've been bombarded with her "streamer to pop star" story going on with KDA.

Also her lore is basically the same thing for both anyway because they made the K/DA story first and her Runeterra story is literally an afterthought. I wasn’t joking about the whole thing being marketing/corporate at Riot rubbing their hands together chanting money, money, money.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

neaden posted:

KDA is not in regular Runeterra, they are a kpop band living in our reality who post on twitter accounts.
Seraphine in Runeterra though is also a famous singer, but instead of kpop she in in Piltover and her music is powered by the souls of skarners dead family.

Well to be fair all of Piltover's hextech is powered by Skarner's dead family

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone have a deck type they just hate going against or feel dirty playing themselves?

For me would have to be Frostbite decks, feels dirty taking 0 damage trades with frost and challenger, or using the Ashe/Noxus 5+ power/reckoning/assessor decks with big bodies and massive card draw from your big boys, anytime a opponent concedes after yet again freezing their trades and dropping something big I feel their frustration from the times I've played against it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyone have a deck type they just hate going against or feel dirty playing themselves?

For me would have to be Frostbite decks, feels dirty taking 0 damage trades with frost and challenger, or using the Ashe/Noxus 5+ power/reckoning/assessor decks with big bodies and massive card draw from your big boys, anytime a opponent concedes after yet again freezing their trades and dropping something big I feel their frustration from the times I've played against it.

Honestly, I appreciate all the salt generated by the KDA event. Playing Ashe/Sejuani, frostbiting two trades and flashing one of the KDA emotes causes snap surrenders more often than not now. Speeds up the daily grind.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friend got me into this game. I'm a lifelong Magic player, and dabbled in League of Legends early until the playerbase turned to poo poo. This is really fun. I love the priority system, it's way better than other digital TCGs I've tried, and is honestly how Magic should be handling priority if it was designed today. I still get a little confused about combat timing, like how I can't see them declare attacks, then cast a spell that creates a blocker, then block with it... I think... but I'm getting the hang of it.

I finished the Challenges, and I've been doing Expeditions and even though I'm only getting 1-2 wins each trial, it's a great way to see the synergies in the cards. Pirate Aggro or Midrange Frostbite from https://lor.mobalytics.gg/meta-tier-list look right up my alley. Is there a Goon Discord so I can ask all my newbie questions when they come up?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Not to my knowledge, but the official Discord is pretty friendly.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if its a burst spell like risen mists or jury rig you can cast it and block after attackers have been declared. if its a fast spell like concussive palm you cant block with the unit it creates unless you cast it before attackers are declared.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
There was a card game discord someone created when it looked like everyone was going to leave the forums over lowtax being a sack of poo poo but I think it's abandoned now.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
We've got a channel within the League of Legends discord that discusses TFT and LoR in the same channel, but it's woefully quiet on the LoR front. Wouldn't mind seeing more people in there if you'd like: https://discord.gg/sAYg3pQK . If the channel gets enough people in there I could make a separate LoR channel so folks can chat there, and if they're interested, try out TFT or League itself.

Also I've been fiddling around with a deck I saw online that uses TF + GP or Elise + Shadow Isles and seeks to draw a ton of Go Hard so you wipe them out with that or the flipped TF aggressively drawing cards and I noticed the decklist had Passage Unearned. I gotta tell you, that card is niche, but I played it into That Ramp Deck that uses the Feel The Rush and for 3 mana I completely and utterly upended his strategy. It seems like such a narrow scope of things it can hit like The Harrowing or Warmothers or so on, but I might start packing 1 or 2 of it because it feels like climbing so far half of the decks are either ramp or some kind of aggro.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I dove into this game pretty hard. Currently running a Shyvana/Katarina deck that I have a lot of fun with but hesitate to call 'good' despite getting it from a video with a lot of all caps words in the title. The biggest lesson I've had to learn is that having super low health on your Nexus is not a cause to panic because you can swing back in like a turn (unless your hand is constantly loaded from the start with 5+ cards even after mulligan, ha ha... ha).

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I haven't paid attention to the meta in a few weeks. What's everyone running now? Still Lee Sin?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Pirates and winning like 90% of my games. It's insane, but maybe because I'm just in Bronze. There are no bad attacks, it's all-in every time and close the game with burn spells.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Strawberry Panda posted:

I haven't paid attention to the meta in a few weeks. What's everyone running now? Still Lee Sin?

very little lee sin. lots of different flavors of ezreal

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I've been playing Pirates and winning like 90% of my games. It's insane, but maybe because I'm just in Bronze. There are no bad attacks, it's all-in every time and close the game with burn spells.

Pirate burn or a different archetype?

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Strawberry Panda posted:

I haven't faced a single Lee deck since the nerf 2 weeks ago. For the week after that everything was Trundle/Tryndamere/Feel the Rush or Scouts decks. After this week's patch there is a lot of Ezreal/X, especially Ez/Swain.

Meta is generally very diverse though; "a lot of" a deck means like 12% of the field.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm playin Soraka/Tahm Kench because I don't need a menu.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Shabadu posted:

I'm playin Soraka/Tahm Kench because I don't need a menu.

A goon after my own heart.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Strawberry Panda posted:

I'm seeing a lot of Elise/Twisted Fate if that helps any.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Shyvana buff helped more than I thought it would, really blowing through people with a tempo dragon deck right now, and a lot of it because not much can challenge her and survive on 3/4

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

is the only way to get the K/DA cards through the event? I don't have time to play enough to get them all

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

after the event you will be able to craft them like normal cards

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

after the event you will be able to craft them like normal cards

Awesome! Thanks, Awesome!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've been having a lot of fun jumping into this game again the last week or so ago after not playing since near the end of the Bilgewater expansion. It's cool that the good cards I had are still good, and that since I had all the champs and epics up to that point I'm quickly building up my collection again after taking a break.

Compare that to Hearthstone or whatever where if you sit things out for 6 months you're going to have to dump a bunch of money into it to catch up -- very friendly! Not sure how long they can pull it off if they keep adding new cards and regions at the planned rate, but it was just a very pleasant surprise that I could easily put together some cool meta decks day 1 of coming back in

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

goferchan posted:

I've been having a lot of fun jumping into this game again the last week or so ago after not playing since near the end of the Bilgewater expansion. It's cool that the good cards I had are still good, and that since I had all the champs and epics up to that point I'm quickly building up my collection again after taking a break.

Compare that to Hearthstone or whatever where if you sit things out for 6 months you're going to have to dump a bunch of money into it to catch up -- very friendly! Not sure how long they can pull it off if they keep adding new cards and regions at the planned rate, but it was just a very pleasant surprise that I could easily put together some cool meta decks day 1 of coming back in

It's been neat as a newcomer too. I've spent some money but I don't think I needed to. Somebody suggested a modified version of the Elise deck which I think is good at the level somebody just starting out is playing anyway and I think the hardest thing to get would have been adding three of Draven to it.

A lot of the premade gifted decks feel way too top heavy but after you start playing and pick a region to get stuff from I don't think it's too hard to adjust things.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The sora/Tom deck is really fun. Once you know the threats to play around it’s satisfying as hell to actively use them to get closer to starspring’s condition

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

DrManiac posted:

The sora/Tom deck is really fun. Once you know the threats to play around it’s satisfying as hell to actively use them to get closer to starspring’s condition

I would probably get very tilted at facing that deck if I wasn't playing something with Reckoning which basically hardcounters everything that deck can put on the board.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 22, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't think I am capable of being objective because I adore 'Raka Tom decks, but I think they work well as an alternate victory condition that's not too non-interactive.

I wish you didn't have to play those heroes together, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
This game just games gets worse and worse. The KDA cards are so terrible in draft. Yeah, let's just let people summon two heroes and change their stats to 10/10.