Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"do you actually know anyone who has gotten corona?"

*is retired and lives 20 miles from the nearest town, pop. 10,000*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Defined contributions (401k) have some disadvantages compared to defined benefits (pensions), but you also don't have to work at a job you hate for 30 years because 15 years into it you realized 100% of your retirement was tied into working for that company. Every family member I have who retired with a pension hated their lives for those last 10 years before they turned 65. Then again, they were all miserable people to begin with.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it allows you to also press the defect button in the iterated prisoners dilemma

the counterparts have been smashing defect for years, dont feel too bad about it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Investing in anything but torches and pitchforks is a crime against your fellow citizens. There'll be plenty of money to go around when the likes of bezos are liquidated for the common good.

Is there prime delivery on mob implements?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Nothing more miserable than a person who is hanging around til they can get their pension jesus christ.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I used to be a Democrat you know! I changed to Republican after the Democrats went so crazy! And Trump knows what's right for this country! He reminds me of my dad! My dad had a modeling agency too and was around young girls and let my sister date men 20 years older than her when she was 15! :catstare:

Hasn't voted for a Democratic candidate since 1992 with Bill Clinton. Votes Trump because he is the same kind of scum her dad was. :smith:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Outrail posted:

Investing in anything but torches and pitchforks is a crime against your fellow citizens. There'll be plenty of money to go around when the likes of bezos are liquidated for the common good.

Is there prime delivery on mob implements?

MSC will happily provide pallet quantities of anything

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/39972823

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Anything?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Boomers love to harass their children that work in IT for literally any tech problem. Because working on IT automatically means you're an expert on every piece of technology ever made. And only ever call to ask those questions, and nothing else. :sigh:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bradzilla posted:

Boomers love to harass their children that work in IT for literally any tech problem. Because working on IT automatically means you're an expert on every piece of technology ever made. And only ever call to ask those questions, and nothing else. :sigh:

I've had this happen with younger generations than Boomers, too.

Them: "Would you look at my computer for me, it's doing something weird."

Me: "Sure, no problem."

Them: *hands me their cellphone*

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
We're having the roof reshingled and two days in a row my uncle showed up completely unannounced and just stood in the yard and wouldn't stop talking to the roofers. The second day he did this I didn't even know he was out there for probably 10-15 minutes minimum. I managed to distract him with something and get him on the other side of the house. When I did this I looked up and the guy on the roof had this look on his face that was like I just saved him from a fate worse than death. But then I realized I had a doctor calling me in a few minutes so I had to go inside. You know what he absolutely would not do? Go the gently caress in the house. He just went back there and started yammering at the roofer again. His wife is just the biggest garbage person so he was just here to get away from her. Because when someone hates you and you hate them you just stay married for 30 loving years. He also blames Puerto Rican people for everything that goes wrong and is generally turbo racist (I once heard him say "[n-word]ism at it's finest."). He also refused to pay taxes for at least twenty years. So he ended up getting cancer about ten years back and when he was trying to get disability they treated him like an rear end in a top hat and jerked him around before eventually giving him a small monthly sum. Oh and I forgot to mention that he has a son he's never had any relationship with because he just never gave a gently caress. When my mom reminded him that that day was his son's birthday and he should call him he got the gently caress out of here like the house was on fire.

He's probably the boomerest person I know.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Gaj you never told us your cousin was a goon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

We're having the roof reshingled and two days in a row my uncle showed up completely unannounced and just stood in the yard and wouldn't stop talking to the roofers. The second day he did this I didn't even know he was out there for probably 10-15 minutes minimum. I managed to distract him with something and get him on the other side of the house. When I did this I looked up and the guy on the roof had this look on his face that was like I just saved him from a fate worse than death. But then I realized I had a doctor calling me in a few minutes so I had to go inside. You know what he absolutely would not do? Go the gently caress in the house. He just went back there and started yammering at the roofer again. His wife is just the biggest garbage person so he was just here to get away from her. Because when someone hates you and you hate them you just stay married for 30 loving years. He also blames Puerto Rican people for everything that goes wrong and is generally turbo racist (I once heard him say "[n-word]ism at it's finest."). He also refused to pay taxes for at least twenty years. So he ended up getting cancer about ten years back and when he was trying to get disability they treated him like an rear end in a top hat and jerked him around before eventually giving him a small monthly sum. Oh and I forgot to mention that he has a son he's never had any relationship with because he just never gave a gently caress. When my mom reminded him that that day was his son's birthday and he should call him he got the gently caress out of here like the house was on fire.

He's probably the boomerest person I know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

So, I was a corporate vice president, then some millennials wouldn’t stop complaining, and yada yada yada, I’m an unlicensed plumber now.

Idiot Doom Spiral comes to mind.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My girlfriend has a deficit in US History so I was trying to explain to her why I think it's not a great country to invest in, kind-of a "collapsing group of wannabe Romans" thing, and I ended up explaining how the Boomers squandered all the advantages given from the fallout of WWII and literally sold their children's futures to keep up appearances. It put this bitter spell on the day. It's work keeping myself from getting actively angry at some of these old fucks, because it's largely not any individual's fault that they did what they did... but they still loving did it.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Not a finance brain genius, but I’ve understood that you should do what your employer will match (free money) but otherwise keep your $$ liquid if you plan to buy a house/condo, since you can only pull $10k tax free. When it’s down payment time that 401k fund won’t help you, but obviously check with someone who knows your specific situation.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've had this happen with younger generations than Boomers, too.

Them: "Would you look at my computer for me, it's doing something weird."

Me: "Sure, no problem."

Them: *hands me their cellphone*

My gen-x ex phoned and asked if I could look at her hard drive as it was playing up.
Sure I said, impressed that she'd worked out it was the hard drive.
She appears at my house with her tower pc. Thought the whole pc was the "hard drive"

*Nothing "wrong" with it, other than being a 12 year old budget pos with a single core cpu that chokes on loading chrome

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Adolf Glitter posted:

My gen-x ex phoned and asked if I could look at her hard drive as it was playing up.
Sure I said, impressed that she'd worked out it was the hard drive.
She appears at my house with her tower pc. Thought the whole pc was the "hard drive"

*Nothing "wrong" with it, other than being a 12 year old budget pos with a single core cpu that chokes on loading chrome

That'd about equal to a mid range cell phone today, except the phone would be multi-core so actually better.

That's a little crazy to think about now that I type it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember 'hard drive' being a common term for the PC, before 'tower' and then eventually they started to realise that the actual computer was not the monitor. Possibly around when flat screen monitors became normal.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Really, huh? First, and last time I heard it and I've been touching computers since the 90s
Maybe it's regional. She's from Stupid City

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bradzilla posted:

Yeah, but be honest. You could fix it if you wanted to.

I managed to avoid so many questions by saying, "sorry I have a Mac, haven't used a Windows computer in FOREVER" when yeah, I could fix your spyware problem, but why when you can't resist clicking every 'FREE IPOD' banner. And yeah, I could figure out why your TV isn't displaying HD, but is Fox News in HD really an improvement?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, but be honest. You could fix it if you wanted to.

I managed to avoid so many questions by saying, "sorry I have a Mac, haven't used a Windows computer in FOREVER" when yeah, I could fix your spyware problem, but why when you can't resist clicking every 'FREE IPOD' banner. And yeah, I could figure out why your TV isn't displaying HD, but is Fox News in HD really an improvement?

lol, I've tried that tactic. Doesn't seem to get through.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

401k is great if you can afford it. Pre tax contributions and tax free growth are huge. However many of us need every last penny that's available RIGHT NOW just to survive. Or we need more than what's available. So the idea of living off of 16k less than I make has been extreme fantasy land until kinda recently.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

My retirement plan is vodka and a bullet, what do I need with a 401k?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

401k is great if you can afford it. Pre tax contributions and tax free growth are huge. However many of us need every last penny that's available RIGHT NOW just to survive. Or we need more than what's available. So the idea of living off of 16k less than I make has been extreme fantasy land until kinda recently.

You contribute 16k to your 401k every year? Is your salary really that high or is your contribution rate really high

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember 'hard drive' being a common term for the PC, before 'tower' and then eventually they started to realise that the actual computer was not the monitor. Possibly around when flat screen monitors became normal.

"Speaking as someone who doesn't know the different between a laptop and the......larger one"

This episode will never not be funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vywf48Dhyns

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Adolf Glitter posted:

Really, huh? First, and last time I heard it and I've been touching computers since the 90s
Maybe it's regional. She's from Stupid City

I'm not from the US and the "Hard Drive" -> "Tower" shift happened here as well. I also remember people (me included) smacking side of the monitor when the whole thing wasn't really working.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Something that's really been annoying me about my family members that are boomers and their friends, why is it that so many of them think they are experts on any given topic despite not having any qualifications and it being incredibly transparent that they have no idea what they're talking about?

I'm literally an expert on a niche subject, I have certifications, I teach the subject, and I get paid for my opinions on said subject. I appear in lists of "experts in this field".

However, since I'm not as old as them, I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about, as managing not to get yourself killed and accomplishing nothing in 45+ years imparts some unchallengeable wisdom on all matters.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

It's a common boomer trait to somehow be absolutely helpless around computers despite having worked with them in an office setting at least 10 years prior to most of us being born. I sometimes think it's a ruse just to get an excuse to force their kids to interact with them / dole out more abusive control because their lead brains demand that they be the center of attention at all times.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

G-III posted:

It's a common boomer trait to somehow be absolutely helpless around computers despite having worked with them in an office setting at least 10 years prior to most of us being born. I sometimes think it's a ruse just to get an excuse to force their kids to interact with them / dole out more abusive control because their lead brains demand that they be the center of attention at all times.

The best answer to this is a competent Boomer. My mom is very anti-boomer and will call up my aunts with a "what are you stupid you're bothering everyone, click a button, figure it out."
And then they do!

Boomers understand bullying and personal attacks as motivation.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Blockade posted:

Something that's really been annoying me about my family members that are boomers and their friends, why is it that so many of them think they are experts on any given topic despite not having any qualifications and it being incredibly transparent that they have no idea what they're talking about?

I'm literally an expert on a niche subject, I have certifications, I teach the subject, and I get paid for my opinions on said subject. I appear in lists of "experts in this field".

However, since I'm not as old as them, I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about, as managing not to get yourself killed and accomplishing nothing in 45+ years imparts some unchallengeable wisdom on all matters.

Their american dream was one where you stay with a company, get promoted over time, and eventually retire. you become an expert through osmosis and seniority. this thought process, combined with the "gently caress you got mine" mindset, is what destroyed the economy for the future generations. so take their bullshit with a grain of salt.

also boomers claiming agism when really it's their inability to learn anything new that keeps them from being more marketable.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
My boomer father in law loves to call us from his car to google things for him instead of just doing it himself when he gets home or pulling over to do it himself.

Speaking of cell phones, another boomer thing he does is let poo poo slowly fall apart until it's well past time for replacement by any sane metric and then costing himself more money than if he'd just started shopping around earlier. His current cell phone keeps randomly turning off and he even managed to get moisture inside the camera lens but "it's fine I'll get another year out of it"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

Speaking of cell phones, another boomer thing he does is let poo poo slowly fall apart until it's well past time for replacement by any sane metric and then costing himself more money than if he'd just started shopping around earlier. His current cell phone keeps randomly turning off and he even managed to get moisture inside the camera lens but "it's fine I'll get another year out of it"

Millennials do this but instead of tech it's going to the doctor.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Every time I go to the doctor it feels like I'm getting ripped off somehow, like they're just adding tests to run up my bill, without making much of an effort to fix anything.

Maybe this is just an American thing

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

G-III posted:

Eh, a lot of people learn exactly what they need to do their jobs, and no more. I work with lifetime computer-touchers in their 30s, I’m talking actual software developers, who don’t all understand fairly basic things about their computers or any software they don’t use on a daily basis for their jobs.

Lead brains could be a factor, but it’s probably not the primary cause.

Cold on a Cob posted:

My boomer father in law loves to call us from his car to google things for him instead of just doing it himself when he gets home or pulling over to do it himself.
Concierge Googling is a pretty hilarious concept. Are there any startups in that space? Maybe it’s a niche waiting to be filled.

Edit: Just to be clear, not all the computer-touchers I work with are like that. It is a non-zero percentage, though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ziv Zulander posted:

My retirement plan is vodka and a bullet, what do I need with a 401k?

Hope you've got a savings account for that retirement booze 'n bullet.

Although most city police departments will give them out for free.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not in my country but that's because they can go to the doctor without paying out of pocket. :canada:

Unless they're dudes. Dudes just straight up hate going to the doctor regardless of cost or culture.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cold on a Cob posted:

Not in my country but that's because they can go to the doctor without paying out of pocket. :canada:

Unless they're dudes. Dudes just straight up hate going to the doctor regardless of cost or culture.

If my body knows enough to check us out of this hellscape I'm gonna trust it knows what it's doing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

You contribute 16k to your 401k every year? Is your salary really that high or is your contribution rate really high

16k is the max you can contribute. I don't think that includes matching though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Krispy Wafer posted:

16k is the max you can contribute. I don't think that includes matching though.

401k limit is 19.5k for your own contributions and your employer match doesn’t count towards it