Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I got ACPR a while ago and I'm learning Bridget. Any tips?

Press heavy a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Endorph posted:

i mean im not gonna pretend a bit of that kind of thing cant be like, fun in its own way, but there's a difference between 'mild nervous embarrassment' and 'a weird alien hacker kidnapped everyone and is livestreaming it without their consent' or whatever is going on in heroines

Also, who the hell wants to play as the kidnapper after all of that poo poo? Kukri was sort of neat in XIV, but gently caress no after all of that. Yikes.

And if this is the roundabout way to get New Faces Team and Ash Crimson back for XV... what in the gently caress? Did it really be like this?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I got ACPR a while ago and I'm learning Bridget. Any tips?

Pick a more forgiving character

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Speaking of which, seems that apart from bugs specifically related to the random generator not being correctly synchronized (ie don't play Faust and the like) the ACPR rollback beta is really good.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Chev posted:

Speaking of which, seems that apart from bugs specifically related to the random generator not being correctly synchronized (ie don't play Faust and the like) the ACPR rollback beta is really good.

I want to play the rollback beta.

But I am a Zappa main.

Alas.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
What's the "I don't wanna put effort into learning hard poo poo" character in ACR? Is it "go play another game"?

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Pick a more forgiving character

I play Sin I deserve this.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You need to dress like them and use a Chinatown dbz stick handed down by Goku himself.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Dias posted:

What's the "I don't wanna put effort into learning hard poo poo" character in ACR? Is it "go play another game"?

ky or may or faust

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Gutcruncher posted:

If they’re implementing Switch changes, they better not also bring over the worst one ever

https://youtu.be/86dR1HeSwJA
strive outright replaced the super with something else, so either everyone at arcsys finally stopped having the humor of a middle school japanese kid, or there's some kind of change in the cero ratings that means they can't keep that & have the same rating anymore (the same thing that made them take the blood out starting in AC)

Dias posted:

order sol, jam, baiken, justice, anji and kliff all have weird execution quirks and a lot of stuff to eventually master but the baseline is "me push button" and (ab)using a few obviously really good special moves in their obvious use. or you can just play sol/ky shotos obv. +R took one of the main things that made sol complicated (sidewinder loops) and gave you the ability to automatically set up the perfect spacing for them by spending a bit of meter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dias posted:

faust has to learn what his items do and how to react to them but is otherwise pretty easy
sol and ky are the two basic characters but since theyre basic they do require some knowledge of the games systems
potemkin is every grappler character ever made
and order sol is pretty unga-bunga minus understanding how his charge works and timing active charge

really guilty gear characters are less complicated than they look for the most part. there's some very execution heavy characters like johnny but the characters that require a phd in their mechanics are less common than in say, blazblue or persona 4 arena. As an example im pretty sure faust has like half the items in his random item throw that teddie in p4a does.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 29, 2020

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Kliff has always struck me as easy mode. He doesn't do the gonzo damage he used to do when he was banned, but his combos are really simple cancel a normal into a super, get an otg kind of affair, and his offensive options are pretty good. I think he's kind of predictable, and has a ceiling of what you can actually accomplish with him, but outside of real competitive play, he's a beast. When your opponents are still learning what he can do in the air, you can get in fairly easily.

Hard mode is loving Eddie. If you have weaponlord experience, this is where it pays off.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Thanks for the advice, guys and gals and enbies. I always lean Faust until I start moving around with him, I'm gonna try out the shotos and Kliff too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Chev posted:

gently caress, gonna slum it on A.B.A or Robo-ky until they fix that so I can go back to playing Zappa.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Zappa is based on the round timer though.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Victory Position posted:

Also, who the hell wants to play as the kidnapper after all of that poo poo? Kukri was sort of neat in XIV, but gently caress no after all of that. Yikes.

And if this is the roundabout way to get New Faces Team and Ash Crimson back for XV... what in the gently caress? Did it really be like this?

The resurrections happened in 14, not Heroines.

dragon enthusiast posted:

delay based netcode pauses the game until it receives inputs from the other player. rollback netcode runs the game at (or near) full speed and tries to predict what the other player does until it gets an input that is incorrect, then rolls back the game simulation to correct for it.

So rollback is like keeping a pool of possible moves/inputs for a player position and matching them with the actual ones? Sorry if dumb question, have been curious about it for a while now and your explanation is the first succinct one I've heard.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

night slime posted:

So rollback is like keeping a pool of possible moves/inputs for a player position and matching them with the actual ones? Sorry if dumb question, have been curious about it for a while now and your explanation is the first succinct one I've heard.

The prediction part of rollback netcode is literally "The thing they're doing the last frame? They're still doing it".

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

darealkooky posted:

strive outright replaced the super with something else, so either everyone at arcsys finally stopped having the humor of a middle school japanese kid, or there's some kind of change in the cero ratings that means they can't keep that & have the same rating anymore (the same thing that made them take the blood out starting in AC)

Maybe I am dumb but I am still not sure what is going on in that new super. Faust rams a wheelchair into...somewhere? I wish there was a better video of it somewhere.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Unlucky7 posted:

Faust rams a wheelchair into...somewhere?

I haven't seen the footage but it's probably into an rear end

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Zappa is based on the round timer though.

Only when he uses the summon special. When he gets a ghost on wakeup it's always random.

edit: He also doesn't have complete control. If it's a 0, 1, or 2 in the ones place he guarantees one of his 3 normal summons. Any other number gives a random ghost.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 29, 2020

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Unlucky7 posted:

Maybe I am dumb but I am still not sure what is going on in that new super. Faust rams a wheelchair into...somewhere? I wish there was a better video of it somewhere.

Just seems to be running it into the dudes shin

Wheelchairs into shins hurt

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

night slime posted:

Rollback's just assuming the other guy's keeping his fingers on the same buttons as before and then retroactively correcting when their actual button presses arrive. Because it can retroactively change stuff, the input lag can be whatever you want, the notion of input is completely divorced fron network lag. Whereas in the older delay-based model, you need to wait until you have the other guy's button presses to go to the next frame, so you need input lag that's at least as big as network lag, and so input lag will directly vary with networ conditions.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Evil Canadian posted:

Just seems to be running it into the dudes shin

Wheelchairs into shins hurt

They’re missing a prime chance to have him stick an entire wheelchair in a butt.

Guilty Gear has lost its way...

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Arzachel posted:

The prediction part of rollback netcode is literally "The thing they're doing the last frame? They're still doing it".

I mean you could theoretically make more complicated predictions if you wanted to. Repeat last input (or lack of input) just happens to work well enough that nobody really bothers to do anything fancy.

If you play a lot of FPS games, most servers use rollback netcode. The rubberbanding you get with a bad connection is the rollback happening.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, FPS games use a rollback variant that's somewhat weird and elaborate these day compared to fighting games, they've got that whole thing where they're only rolling back the local player's movement and the whole surrounding world is on delay. It's pretty involved but understanding how it came about is super interesting.

In fighting games positioning is important enough and decisions fast enough that we don't want those whole dual view timeshift shenanigans, instead we just want the most accurate possible view of the battlefield at a given moment with the info we have.

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 30, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Tonight is Bridget night.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

night slime posted:

The resurrections happened in 14, not Heroines.

Aah. Still, it's really weird that SNK went the way they did with Heroines. Everything about it boggles my mind, at least.

(except the hat, the hat is really good)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

dragon enthusiast posted:

I mean you could theoretically make more complicated predictions if you wanted to. Repeat last input (or lack of input) just happens to work well enough that nobody really bothers to do anything fancy.

I always wondered what the prediction part of rollback was. Turns out it was rather simple. Whatever works I suppose.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
https://steamcharts.com/app/348550 acpr
https://steamcharts.com/app/520440 rev2

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I remember there was awhile when xrd sign had like 10 concurrent players on pc because revelator was already out for PS4

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

being 3 dollars right now is doing it a lot of favors lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chev posted:

It owns actually. I played on a 2 bar wifi connection due to wfh circumstance the ethernet is not in the room im set up in, and it felt like local for me and the other guys just checking it out in ranked were rematching me if the matching put us together again so it was probably fine enough on their end.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Victory Position posted:

Yeah, I liked Kukri in XIV, but I never want to touch him again now

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

With their guest appearances in other franchises, I have decided that Fatal Fury is SNK's real flagship series. Let's ignore the fact that a new game hasn't been made in like 20 years. Flagship!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://store.steampowered.com/app/577940/Killer_Instinct/

KI on sale on steam for $10

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Artelier posted:

With their guest appearances in other franchises, I have decided that Fatal Fury is SNK's real flagship series. Let's ignore the fact that a new game hasn't been made in like 20 years. Flagship!

It's big enough to get a character into Smash.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

arcsys sent out a patch for +r that fixes rng characters

zappa and faust can return to the wild

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

isn't this a game no one actually plays through steam

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Office Pig posted: