Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Starpluck posted:

What do you guys think of this for VR locomotion?

You 'walk' but are still stationary the entire time. No need for large treadmills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNVvLgvGU3A&t=15s

Moon shoes are back, baby,

That guys walking pace and movement looks precarious as hell, and I can't imagine you can run in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Turin Turambar posted:

In how many games they fully support the finger tracking, and in how many it can be said it makes a difference? Because if the answer is 4-5, then yeah, gimmick is a appropriate term.

I don't think that the finger tracking is the "killer" feature for the Knuckles controllers. The design of them being something that you strap to your hands so that you can open our hand completely and not drop them is the reason I like them so much.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Starpluck posted:

You 'walk' but are still stationary the entire time. No need for large treadmills.

Interesting, but surely you can feel that your feet are being sucked backwards after every step? That seems like it would be so distracting and cause lots of people falling forwards and shattering the VR headsets.

I still think the solution to these problems isn't going to be hardware.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thumper is 6$ and an excellent experience.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Starpluck posted:

looks clunky as poo poo, you can't move fast and i'd probably trip and break my skull

0/10

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Very cool.

But I'd probably be killed by them somehow.

poo poo you could kill someone else wearing those things

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Leal posted:

poo poo you could kill someone else wearing those things

You'd have to figure out how to get to them first.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New Warhammer VR game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1337100/Warhammer_Age_of_Sigmar_Tempestfall/

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

PantsBandit posted:

You'd have to figure out how to get to them first.

Easy, you give the shoes to them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

The day sony makes a VR headset that works on PC, i'll fall over dead. If microsoft decided to care about VR games on console, yeah i could see them doing something that works on pc, but not sony, not ever.

Disagree. Any indication we have of a PSVR 2 being worked on is job listings for and HMD being worked on by Sony corp and not under the SIE umbrella. PSVR being tied directly to playstation is extremely limiting. I don't think the idea that Sony would want to get in on the wider VR market is that out there.

Releasing something that worked on PC or standalone as well as playstation would open something like that up to a lot more overall sales, an easier entry point, locking certain exclusives to PSVR to sell more PS5s, likely their own PC store front. Sony isn't just playstation.

Only time will tell, but I personally believe there is a distinct possibility that this is the direction Sony will go in regards to PSVR 2.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Starpluck posted:

Cool, perfect for a Caterpillar P-5000 Powered Work Loader VR simulator :v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Still bugs to sort out, and a ton of content to add and polish, but the core features on project light gun VR are mostly in place.

I'm calling it: Bullet Points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk262s8s978

Looks dope so far

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Starpluck posted:

lol @ 2 vive trackers per foot for some reason

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Novasol posted:

As someone who actually likes minigolf... recommendations?

I really like Walkabout Mini Golf. Oculus only for the moment, coming to steam at some point

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Starpluck posted:

Hmmmmm nope.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
welp blew all my money on the 256 gb version of the q2 and cant afford any software now. Looks like theres a lot of really good free stuff, though

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

welp blew all my money on the 256 gb version of the q2 and cant afford any software now. Looks like theres a lot of really good free stuff, though

Echo Arena

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Lockback posted:

Steam sales. I'm thinking of giving "Into the Radius" a try. Sounds like its janky and tough, but lots of content. Anyone give it a try?
I tried it and the level of jank felt unplayable. Like, not charming jank like Blade and Soul or Boneworks but frustrating.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now that more people have Quests, check out the Passenger short vr video, I liked it. It's in Oculus Tv right now.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Lowen SoDium posted:

I don't think that the finger tracking is the "killer" feature for the Knuckles controllers. The design of them being something that you strap to your hands so that you can open our hand completely and not drop them is the reason I like them so much.

On that subject, if folks are using any kind of Oculus controller and haven’t bought knuckle straps yet, definitely do that, it’s a huge improvement. I’ll never go back to wrist straps. Was very pleased that my old Kiwi Rift straps worked in the redesigned Touch controllers with only a minimal bit of nail-clipper surgery to the strap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow tons of stuff on steam sale right now. I’m interested in subnautica in VR but have heard mixed things. What don’t people like about it?

Also, anyone see anything else that is a no brainer at the sale prices?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I picked up squadrons seeing it was 25% off, and it was released cheap enough that I'm willing to buy.

Scanned Sombre is 1.67 (cad), and this bundle because it was 3$ cheaper than buying Boiling Steel alone. Boiling Steel looks generic but has some pretty good reviews

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 30, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

veni veni veni posted:

Wow tons of stuff on steam sale right now. I’m interested in subnautica in VR but have heard mixed things. What don’t people like about it?

It literally wouldn't work for me. Plus it's controller VR, which is OK but the game could obviously use touch controllers so playing with a controller seems like a lost opportunity.

On a screen it was a fantastic game though, one of my top.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't played it but I've heard it just obviously wasn't designed for VR. Lots of bugginess and easy to get motion-sick with.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Starpluck posted:

I would rather attach a punching bag hook the the ceiling, attach myself to it via climbing harness, and run on a hamster ball than try to kill myself with those moon shoes.

Actually that sounds fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Its too scary!!

Good Halloween game I guess :cheeky:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Any recommendations for good “experience” type things on The Quest 2? Like the Anne Frank House app was an interesting way to learn about a topic interactively. Any others that are more on the educational side?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Pretty ballsy of Until You Fall to reward large arm swings. Bunch of blind nerds windmilling around their apartments is bound to end well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PantsBandit posted:

Pretty ballsy of Until You Fall to reward large arm swings. Bunch of blind nerds windmilling around their apartments is bound to end well.

It's right there in the game's title :unsmigghh:.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

Any recommendations for good “experience” type things on The Quest 2? Like the Anne Frank House app was an interesting way to learn about a topic interactively. Any others that are more on the educational side?

There is one about travelling in America while being black. There are some videos with Obama showing the White House.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I personally think they could grow much more, but they are still too focused on the American market. The international market is barely exploited. Lots of games don't have subtitles, much less are dubbed. Their Oculus TV is 97% all English, and there is no subtitles feature unlike Youtube. Etc

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iedWeFMzn8U
Blair Witch game from past year is coming to VR. I don't think it was very good, but maybe the VR factor will give it a 'boost'.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 30, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lockback posted:

It literally wouldn't work for me. Plus it's controller VR, which is OK but the game could obviously use touch controllers so playing with a controller seems like a lost opportunity.

On a screen it was a fantastic game though, one of my top.

Yeah I refunded it within 20 minutes. Even with a controller you can't even use the right stick to turn. On screen prompts are so out of view they are completely unreadable. It's borderline unplayable. I can't believe they didn't flesh this out more. i can live without motion controls but the game doesn't even really work.

It's a shame because it looks gorgeous in VR. At least I rean into one of those giant squid/whale/island things right out of the pod and got to oogle at it for a bit.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

The full Index kit is still selling for >$1k on ebay. Is there a good reason to hang onto the Index and not make a bit of profit off the purchase and buy a Quest 2?

It has higher refresh rates, full range IPD adjustment, larger FOV, etc. I definitely have no complaints as far as performance goes and even the knuckles I find to be really comfortable. But none of the technically superior specs feel like really good reasons to hang onto the Index when fully wireless VR is an option. I definitely have noticed that I'm a lot more hesitant to do any kind of actual turning while wearing the Index because of the cable, and it just is all around pretty annoying to deal with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ishikabibble posted:

The full Index kit is still selling for >$1k on ebay. Is there a good reason to hang onto the Index and not make a bit of profit off the purchase and buy a Quest 2?

It has higher refresh rates, full range IPD adjustment, larger FOV, etc. I definitely have no complaints as far as performance goes and even the knuckles I find to be really comfortable. But none of the technically superior specs feel like really good reasons to hang onto the Index when fully wireless VR is an option. I definitely have noticed that I'm a lot more hesitant to do any kind of actual turning while wearing the Index because of the cable, and it just is all around pretty annoying to deal with.

VR headset cables are an easy fix; The problem is they're made light and thin to reduce weight, so they knot up and hang underfoot due to trying to live in tight loops. Get yourself literally any semi-flexible cable protector and wrap about two meters of cable that sits on the floor with it and you'll never worry again. Hangs away from your feet on the floor, won't get broken if you step on it.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://uploadvr.com/playstation-ceo-future-vr-psvr-next-year-2021/

quote:

“I think we’re more than a few minutes from the future of VR,” Ryan said. “PlayStation believes in VR. Sony believes in VR, and we definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment. Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that. And we’re very pleased with all the experience that we’ve gained with PlayStation VR, and we look forwarding to seeing where that takes us in the future.”

So no PSVR 2 in 2021. The author is guessing late 2022. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

iron buns posted:

https://uploadvr.com/playstation-ceo-future-vr-psvr-next-year-2021/

So no PSVR 2 in 2021. The author is guessing late 2022. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

If it is linked to the PS5 2022 is probably a safer bet. 2021 they will still be growing their install base and people other than the hardcore will still be transitioning to the platform from PS4. Also you have to take into account the lag between them having the vr tech and hardware ready and getting software made for that tech and hardware.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PSVR launched almost three years after PS4 initial launch. So if PSVR2 launches two years after PS5, well, it isn't so bad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Beens posted:

If it is linked to the PS5 2022 is probably a safer bet. 2021 they will still be growing their install base and people other than the hardcore will still be transitioning to the platform from PS4. Also you have to take into account the lag between them having the vr tech and hardware ready and getting software made for that tech and hardware.

I'd be more inclined to believe/hope it actually is a Sony standalone media headset that just happens to tether to PS5 than just another PSVR cabled headset now tbh. Inside-out tracking's a relatively solved problem now with plenty of examples to draw from, and I feel if it were just a question of updating to standardize with PCVR tech we'd at least see something of it other than "it's still years away".

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Useful
https://www.reddit.com/r/vrgamedeals/comments/jkdw25/steam_halloween_sale_2020_ends_nov_2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

SgtScruffy posted:

It's not educational and requires you to use Link, but Wolves in the Walls was recommended here a while back and I was thrilled by it. It's basically being inside and part of a children's story.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2272579216119318