Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The big issue is especially as I swap jobs, our schedules only line up so much per week, and any grind video would be Old Schoolhouse² in terms of commentary. Trust me! I've said on recording that I usually grind out all new gear in any area in any JRPG, we just know it would be death in terms of entertaining recordings and so far we've made do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
No quartz is worth it. If you see one you like, it can/will be maxed if you take that person in the big dungeon. If you don't, then gently caress it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Vermillion and Orochi are both pretty much the same thing; MQs that give you no arts, but merely amplify your damage by a significant percentage (Orochi's max values are higher, but Vermillion is consistent and better if you can keep your HP up) that also stacks with Domination quartz. If you can squeeze in enough experience to get them to level 5 (they're not that far away from that point), both also add a 50% chance of inflicting poison or burn status on the enemy, which inflicts fractional damage and ranks up huuuuge numbers if your opponent has lots of health. A turn of burn can do S-craft like damage on the dungeon boss. And it stacks with Rean's S-craft. (which also inflicts burn)

I'd say equipping Vermillion on Rean is a much better idea than keeping his default MQ on, which is good against large groups of small fry that can be wiped out with a single Gale, but it doesn't really add much when you face smaller groups of enemies with very high amounts of HP. (of which the upcoming dungeon has plenty of) In that case, simply doing more damage is definitely the way to go.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

85. Panic! at the Gymnasium

"She was known by a name once" is not particularly juicy gossip, Nicholas.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no balm's gonna Curia my qualms

It might be worth taking everybody through Stella Garten, and maybe Eastern Teahouse; the other events are all short little things like you just saw.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 14, 2020

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Hwurmp posted:

no balm's gonna Curia my qualms

It might be worth taking everybody through Stella Garten, and maybe Eastern Teahouse; the other events are all short little things like you just saw.

I'd reverse that, go through the Teahouse and choose "luck" fortunes. There's some interesting stuff in there.

Specifically, every luck fortune foreshadows the respective character's arc in CS2, to the point where Emma gets legitimately rattled by how on the nose the wording for hers is.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 14, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'd reverse that, go through the Teahouse and choose "luck" fortunes. There's some interesting stuff in there.

Specifically, every luck fortune foreshadows the respective character's arc in CS2, to the point where Emma gets legitimately rattled by how on the nose the wording for hers is.

Machias's Luck fortune is amazing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Beatrix's nickname is pretty badass.
- "Nicholas was a sniping queen." - :allears:
- All the Bike/Heimdallr scenes are unique and they're all pretty good no matter which one you pick.
- "Go Alone" is the Crow option.
- Doing the bike event with someone unlocks them for the final event. Jusis is an interesting choice.
- Hmmm... I don't know who voices Owner Howard (it's not listed on IMDB), and I never thought about it until now. Listening at 20:20... maybe Jusis's VA? I'm really bad at recognizing voices.
- I'm not surprised that you guessed wrong about Alisa being the one to love the outfit.
- HUH... There's a tiny extra part to the end of the outfit scene on NG+.
- They definitely don't explain what the Saints are about. Such as in Bareahard Emma: "Oh, it's a statue of St. Veronica." Jusis: "Oh, you know her?" And that's the entire conversation. Clearly the writers think that's meaningful, but they haven't put in any information about who St. Veronica is into the actual game.

- The game does tell you what all 5 classes are doing, but it's not easy to remember. That's probably the toughest bonus AP thing to find.
- Operetta 1-1 means Year 1, Class 1. at the bottom it says 1-7, which is Year 1, Class 7.
- Once you hit 9999 link XP it stops being counted.

- Time advances after spending two tickets, then again after spending the next three tickets. So you CAN miss things by doing too many events.

- Spending two tickets on someone at the festival also unlocks them for the final event.
- The teahouse event has a lot of variations. It drove me a little nuts watching all of them before deciding on my final picks - and I didn't even see all of them - so don't feel obligated to show all of them off. Doing all the events with everyone took a couple hours. It is too much.

- Like has been said, the Eastern Teahouse and Stella Garden events are just dialogue and not minigames, so they're the most interesting for character time.
- I found Machias's "Stella Garten" event kinda funny, but it's not critical.
- The Eastern Teahouse's (Relationship) and the Stella Garten events are inclined towards those on the relationship with that character. However, Emma is already a lock for seeing her Ch. 6 event and getting her relationship up to level 5.
- EDIT: Gaius and Fie get extra dialogue in the Eastern Teahouse.
- You probably don't want to do the Blade one (Gate of Avalon), but if you do, Alisa, or Instructor Sara are slightly more interesting than other people for reasons.

- The Final Red Moon Rose will be found at the festival.
- One recipe is at the festival at any time, the final recipe is not available until after the festival.
- There will be a LOT of lengthy cutscenes after spending your final ticket, so if you're already running long, before spending it might be a good pause point.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Machias's Luck fortune is amazing.

Damnit, I guess I didn't see all of these after all. I guess I need to go back and watch more. It's better to see these events in smaller bursts.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 15, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Hmmm... I don't know who voices Owner Howard (it's not listed on IMDB), and I never thought about it until now. Listening at 20:20... maybe Jusis's VA? I'm really bad at recognizing voices.

D.C. Douglas would be my first guess, but Ben Diskin would be my second.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I would recommend doing other characters bike trips after you beat the game. One is much better that way.

Edit
And by "do", I mean, there's easily accessible Youtube videos that show off all of them, please don't kill yourself when you don't need to.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 15, 2020

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So FYI, in Alisa's bike costume retrieval scene variant, they messed up and used the wrong voice clip for two of Rean's lines (similar lines from a different character's scene). The correct clips are in the game files, so if anyone wants to fix that, open up data\scripts\scena\dat_us\c0100.dat and change at 0x10150 the 0xE9F6 to 0x2CF7 and at 0x10253 the 0xEBF6 to 0x2EF7. I'll also include that fix in SenPatcher the next time I build a release of that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hwurmp posted:

You're probably right, yes.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So FYI, in Alisa's bike costume retrieval scene variant, they messed up and used the wrong voice clip for two of Rean's lines (similar lines from a different character's scene). The correct clips are in the game files, so if anyone wants to fix that, open up data\scripts\scena\dat_us\c0100.dat and change at 0x10150 the 0xE9F6 to 0x2CF7 and at 0x10253 the 0xEBF6 to 0x2EF7. I'll also include that fix in SenPatcher the next time I build a release of that.

Open it up with what program, exactly? It's just nonsense in Notepad. And can I also do something similar for one of Sara's lines in a scene later which is also using a line from a different part of the game?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 15, 2020

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

"Brass neck" is a phrase that derives from "sticking your neck out". But instead of just putting yourself at risk, you're acting like it but not putting yourself in the way of any real harm (because your metaphorical neck is made of brass). You're just being shameless.

Hwurmp posted:

I wouldn't say it's obviously either of them. Both of those VAs are pretty recognizable once you hear them in a game or two, and neither stands out as this side character.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Open it up with what program, exactly? It's just nonsense in Notepad. And can I also do something similar for one of Sara's lines in a scene later which is also using a line from a different part of the game?

Your preferred hex-editor. I like HxD.

And not sure which one you're referring to, send me a PM?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I hope you like terrible ideas because we have so many coming up this chapter.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Who doesn't like terrible ideas?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Little tidbit: if you take a guy to Mishy Panic, you don't give him the pluche but keep it yourself. You can then trade it in for a Zeram Powder (revive to full health + 100 CP) at the pawn shop.

I believe Crow has a nice bit at Mishy Panic. Or rather, Rean's reaction to it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Weirdly, Elliot's Mishy Panic is OK, too. It definitely fits Elliot's usual "one personality trait", but it also actually touches on his rarely seen "hey, this guy is occasionally kinda slick" secret second trait.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Hope you're not expecting any plot today!

- F7-1. Ch.7 Errand Wrap-Up
86. Balloon Plight

Can't believe one of our students actually discovered the legendary Thfdeef!

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Good god, I forgot how stupid Reans "Maybe she was a bird watcher all along" comment was

:cripes:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ You mad bastards. You actually did it.

~ The VA in this series is so, so good. Basically everyone has great timing on some of the funny reads, but a few characters really, really emote in fantastically subtle ways. Alisa's VA, Rachel Hirschfeld has a really limited number of credits to her name so far, but she's fabulous and deserves more work. It will be some time before I'm able to point out something I want to. On the other hand, I always feel like she's trying to cover up a southern accent. Could be my imagination.

~ Huh. Never knew the bike was solipsistic.

~ Sean Chiplock redoing some of the exact lines for this scene over and over and over again (some are redone, some are literally the same read) and watching this sequence this way gives off serious Endless Eight vibes. I think I'm the sole human being who thought those episodes were brilliant.

~ I can't get over Fie and Alfin being the same VA. The other characters that do double duty, I got right away.

~ Emma's sequence here is so jarring if you're checking this scene out on a collected video. I think seeing it after the pattern of all the other scenes lulls you into a sense of security is much more impactful than just doing only hers or only someone else's.

~ Many of the other students get voiced lines at certain points. Your Lambert and Munk are exceptionally close to the mark.

~ Some of the other offhand jokes you guys make with no pretense toward future events whatsoever are eerily on the mark and it never ceases to make me giggle.

lagidnam posted:

Good god, I forgot how stupid Reans "Maybe she was a bird watcher all along" comment was

:cripes:

It's not as extreme, but I feel like Elliot deserves some shame points for everyone else in the class saying "Maybe she's a guest on another show" and Elliot saying "Maybe she forgot what day it was"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

the hidden knitting character is named Brake Fulmar and they fight with a big metal beyblade on a string

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 22, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

You have my endless respect for watching all the bike trips.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

CottonWolf posted:

You have my endless respect for watching all the bike trips.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I hope you like terrible ideas because we have so many coming up this chapter.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh no. You didn't?!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I love terrible ideas.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm saying nothing on the record because our policy is "if this sucks, throw it out", and I don't do the editing. Keep in mind that my standards are "does this make me laugh*" and David's are "is this embarrassing if I revisit it in a month".

I know we joke about it on video sometimes but at least once per recording there's an "...I'm cutting that." in response to me and it's never not deserved.

* note: extremely NWS

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Honestly I cut a lot more stuff because a gag fell flat, or one of us completely misinterpreted something and say something completely idiotic in context, or it meshes badly with the in-game dialogue, than because of anything vulgar. We both reflexively cuss a lot so my pie-in-the-sky goal has always been to keep commentary game-rating-appropriate, and though we still let a bunch of fucks through it's a lot better than it used to be.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Sean Chiplock redoing some of the exact lines for this scene over and over and over again (some are redone, some are literally the same read) and watching this sequence this way gives off serious Endless Eight vibes. I think I'm the sole human being who thought those episodes were brilliant.

I wouldn't go that far, but I did find them interesting and fun to marathon. Once. If I'd been dripfed them for two months I might've had a different opinion. The least believable part is that Kyon owns at least eight swimsuits.

CottonWolf posted:

Oh no. You didn't?!

We haven't recorded anything else yet! I am NOT doing all the variants of all the events and I will repeat this as many times as it takes to convince myself. Do still need to set up those google docs for the final dungeon though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Level 1 Thief posted:

Honestly I cut a lot more stuff because a gag fell flat, or one of us completely misinterpreted something and say something completely idiotic in context, or it meshes badly with the in-game dialogue, than because of anything vulgar. We both reflexively cuss a lot so my pie-in-the-sky goal has always been to keep commentary game-rating-appropriate, and though we still let a bunch of fucks through it's a lot better than it used to be.

I wouldn't go that far, but I did find them interesting and fun to marathon. Once. If I'd been dripfed them for two months I might've had a different opinion. The least believable part is that Kyon owns at least eight swimsuits.

Well, Trails lets an increasing amount of cussing as time passes, or at least as appropriate characters are around. Loggins is the main offender here, but other, later folks will let fly.

Also, he doesn't own that many swimsuits. The entire summer repeated, including Kyon buying a swimsuit. Some cycles he picked a different one. However, Koizumi actually does own at least eight swimsuits

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Bike Trips
- "Emma's in a cult." - Fairly accurate!
- Yeah, Laura's hair is not practical for actual combat, where people fight dirty. That does fit, though. Fie's hair is short, which does fit for the style of ruthless fighting she is used to.
- "Th-That's not true at all," Rean implausibly denies.
- It's about 2 minutes per fortune. All the fortunes will be, let's see... 12 people times 2 different fortunes times 2 minutes, plus 45 seconds that you'll end up fast-forwarding for all after the first one... probably about 50-55 minutes or so to see all the fortunes. I recommend that you stop before spending your final ticket, to save fast-forwarding through a LOT of lengthy cutscenes.

Episode 86

- In the morning, Celiene is near the Academy Field, near Emma and Alisa. But you've got a lot of Zeram Powder already, more than you'll need.
- You can actually go grinding in the Old Schoolhouse right before the point of no return, too.
- You have found all the recipes to be found during the festival. The last one comes later. You're fine.
- Not everyone can ride on the horses. Of those who weren't in Nord, I think only Laura and Sara can. For everyone else, Rean takes charge.
- Time advances to evening after 3 tickets, but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
To touch on the "You have enough Zeram Powder" a bit, In a game that has any number of ways to break it over your knee, there's one strategy that's bigger cheese than any other. Evade tanks, tank-tanks, magic bell spamming, even delay cheese pales in comparison to One True Strategy that is absolutely guaranteed to defeat any boss, on any difficulty, or your money back.

EDIT:
Spoilered, not for actual spoilers, but for "you'll become irritated if you click this"

Stuff Minotauros on Millium. Tweak Fie out as fast as you possibly can, stuff a Grail Locket and Abyss Shadow on her. S-break with Millium. Minotauros increases your delay after an attack/craft? WHO CARES? S-breaks interrupt turn order. S-breaks ALSO cause an enormous amount of delay, so S-breaking WITH Minotauros means you have some insane delay number before your next turn. BUT WHO CARES? It doesn't matter how fast Millium is. Her friend is fast enough to probably have the next turn. So..... use a Zeram powder on Millium, giving her 100 CP. S-Break with Millium. Repeat. Ta-Da!

The long and short of it is, Zeram Powders are a get out of jail free card. ..............................and that's before you realize that you can make them AOE by maxing out Moebius.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 23, 2020

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Falcom has a sidequest for handing out balloons at the very end of Tokyo Xanadu Ex+. In fact it's even during a festival like what's going on now.

I don't know what the next Trails games will get for English titles. Falcom released Hajimari no Kiseki two months ago in Japan, and Hajimari/創 with that pronunciation supposedly refers to origination or beginning. But the translators have always been able to take some liberties, like how Sen no Kiseki became Trails of Cold Steel when "sen" refers to quickly drawing or swinging with a weapon. We'll see. (I claim no proficiency with Japanese, just an ability to look things up and apply Linguistics 101.)

Veryslightlymad posted:

The long and short of it is, Zeram Powders are a get out of jail free card. ..............................and that's before you realize that you can make them AOE by maxing out Moebius.
Mobius in general is like Chemist in FF5. If you put enough research and thought into it, you can break the game with it but it'll be kinda tedious. (Plus there's more cheese you can add to that fromage fort strategy with a certain spell.)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Veryslightlymad posted:

To touch on the "You have enough Zeram Powder" a bit, In a game that has any number of ways to break it over your knee, there's one strategy that's bigger cheese than any other. Evade tanks, tank-tanks, magic bell spamming, even delay cheese pales in comparison to One True Strategy that is absolutely guaranteed to defeat any boss, on any difficulty, or your money back.

EDIT:
Spoilered, not for actual spoilers, but for "you'll become irritated if you click this"

Stuff Minotauros on Millium. Tweak Fie out as fast as you possibly can, stuff a Grail Locket and Abyss Shadow on her. S-break with Millium. Minotauros increases your delay after an attack/craft? WHO CARES? S-breaks interrupt turn order. S-breaks ALSO cause an enormous amount of delay, so S-breaking WITH Minotauros means you have some insane delay number before your next turn. BUT WHO CARES? It doesn't matter how fast Millium is. Her friend is fast enough to probably have the next turn. So..... use a Zeram powder on Millium, giving her 100 CP. S-Break with Millium. Repeat. Ta-Da!

(Mino)Tauros doesn't work that way in CS1 unfortunately, where it only powers up normal attacks and not crafts.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Fair enough. Vermillion is probably the best answer there in CS1.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

87. I'm using a Bolt.

Welcome to the Thors Military Academy Festival, where we have events for everyone! Stare at a fisherman! Gawk at a sculptor! Pick up a balloon!* Make out over a hot stove! The fun never stops!!

* balloon not guaranteed

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just finished a Cold Steel IV marathon and that picture had me so confused for like, 10 seconds

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That special Blademaster event at Gate of Avalon only occurs if you bring Crow along, yes. You get Sharon's third profile entry either way, but if you win you also get a Relief Card. (It's just a bragging rights Event Item.)

The land of Zemuria isn't assumed to be in our universe but rather its own distinct place. While it's not the entirety of existence so far as Kiseki/Trails is concerned (consider the Salt Pale or Leonhardt's weird weapon), it's what humans are confined to barring extremely weird and deliberate actions.

Just because it's called the Final Chapter doesn't mean it's final. :v: Falcom has gotten cute before with multiple "final" chapters, though at least not with this game.

Laura almost certainly knows she has groupies and does her best to politely ignore that fact. "Dignified but not haughty" is part of her character.

I decided to go back to CS2 and CS3 this past week. Partly to refamiliarize myself with upcoming games, and partly to pull myself away from Code Vein so I don't burn out after three Cruz runs or something. I'm not about to try NG Nightmare because that sounds tedious as gently caress, but NG Hard in CS2 stopped giving me problems once I got Fie.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I just finished a Cold Steel IV marathon and that picture had me so confused for like, 10 seconds
How is it? CS3 seemed good despite the apprehension about NISA doing the localization. It's subtly different from what XSEED did before but it's not the "okay maybe you should have spent another month or two fine-tuning it" output that we got for Tokyo Xanadu and Ex+.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Falcom didn't master balloon technology until Tokyo Xanadu eX+

also thank you for pointing out how much Alan sucks

e: the thank-you is revoked for reminding me about VA-11 HALL-A

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 30, 2020

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

How is it? CS3 seemed good despite the apprehension about NISA doing the localization. It's subtly different from what XSEED did before but it's not the "okay maybe you should have spent another month or two fine-tuning it" output that we got for Tokyo Xanadu and Ex+.

It's, uh, a bit messy, but so was CS3 before the big patch a few months after release. Here's hoping they'll do that again I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Towa looks seconds away from turning and putting a bullet in Rean in a last minute twist, in that thumbnail.