Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

I'm gonna take a stab at it

whoever the bad witch is in this one ends up in a mental asylum next to Faruiza Balk's character?

Close

main witch is adopted and her mom is Faruzia so she goes to mental asylum to see her and movie ends. Faruiza does not even say anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Close

main witch is adopted and her mom is Faruzia so she goes to mental asylum to see her and movie ends. Faruiza does not even say anything

That makes even less sense than my guess lmao

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Going to rewatch The Keep (1983) again tonight. I have a soft spot for this movie even though it is objectively a mess. The acting is over-the-top hammy, lots of plot points are never really explained, and it ends with a bizarre WTF moment. Seeing Ian McKellen when he was young-ish was neat. It hadn't occurred to me that he used to not be old. Scott Glen co-stars as......a character who is never really explained. The score is great if you like Tangerine Dream, and the set design is great if you like swirly clouds of smoke and are high as balls. The first time I saw this I was half delirious after being awake for 48 hours straight, and may have had a minor religious experience watching it. Also, who doesn't love seeing nazis get their comeuppance?

I read the novel that the movie is based on. It's laughably awful. I get the impression that the author is some fedora-wearing incel who thinks he's more brilliant than he is. There's only one female character, and she exists primarily to fall in love with the author's self-insert mary sue protagonist. At one point the protagonist actually calls her "my lady" and she literally swoons. Ultimately, reading the explanation for everything did not enhance my enjoyment of the movie. Only read it if you like poorly written fantasy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Buttchocks posted:

Going to rewatch The Keep (1983) again tonight. I have a soft spot for this movie even though it is objectively a mess. The acting is over-the-top hammy, lots of plot points are never really explained, and it ends with a bizarre WTF moment. Seeing Ian McKellen when he was young-ish was neat. It hadn't occurred to me that he used to not be old. Scott Glen co-stars as......a character who is never really explained. The score is great if you like Tangerine Dream, and the set design is great if you like swirly clouds of smoke and are high as balls. The first time I saw this I was half delirious after being awake for 48 hours straight, and may have had a minor religious experience watching it. Also, who doesn't love seeing nazis get their comeuppance?

I read the novel that the movie is based on. It's laughably awful. I get the impression that the author is some fedora-wearing incel who thinks he's more brilliant than he is. There's only one female character, and she exists primarily to fall in love with the author's self-insert mary sue protagonist. At one point the protagonist actually calls her "my lady" and she literally swoons. Ultimately, reading the explanation for everything did not enhance my enjoyment of the movie. Only read it if you like poorly written fantasy.

The best part about the book is when the lone female character is introduced, while I was reading it I was like, huh, this character has more going on than she did in the movie, might be interesting, and unlike a lot of male authors he's not even going into detail about her breasts. Then like one page later he does that to an absolutely stupid degree. :lol:

I think I prefer the movie's plot overall too even if it's a mess, you can see how they realized how stupid and repetitive some of the book was.

I read it because I dig the movie, supposedly some of the other books he did in the same series are decent but not sure if I'll ever bother to find out lol

I really do love the movie even though it is in many ways not good.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

lords of Salem is becoming a part of my regular Halloween rotation. nails the hell out of the feeling imo

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Watched Lost Highway I'm confused on purpose and "I'm Deranged" is stuck in my head help

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

I still can't figure out if it's a sequel or a remake? The Craft is one of my favorite movies and I'm tempted to watch this but if it's just a remake I'll pass.

Hot take: there's never been a good PG-13 sequel to an R-rated movie.
I thought Army of Darkness was, but nope when I checked still R-rated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought Army of Darkness was, but nope when I checked still R-rated.

If it had come out 3 years earlier or 3 years later it'd be PG-13 for sure.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Antebellum sucks loving rear end, god drat. The trailers made it look so good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

lords of Salem is becoming a part of my regular Halloween rotation. nails the hell out of the feeling imo

does it take place on Halloween? I can't remember. I've been meaning to rewatch it so that might be my pick for the holiday Fran challenge if it does

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

does it take place on Halloween? I can't remember. I've been meaning to rewatch it so that might be my pick for the holiday Fran challenge if it does

I thought it did but now I'm not so sure. I think I just assumed it did because it's like, fall in Salem, which is close enough.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm resigning myself to burnout and a lack of time and eliminating all the movies I wanted to watch, but a Lords of Salem rewatch is one of ones I'm hanging onto for today/tomorrow.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I made sure I held back 8-10 of my all-time favorites for tonight/tomorrow because I knew Halloween was a Saturday and I'd basically be sitting around all day watching movies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Watched Lost Highway I'm confused on purpose and "I'm Deranged" is stuck in my head help
That soundtrack was the second CD I ever bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEwl4r9-6k

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bioshuffle posted:

I was disappointed. I was expecting a twist where the Japanese shaman actually turns out to be the good person, but nope. He's a literal demon who went around town raping and murdering people, basically validating all the things the villagers said about him.

The exorcism ritual doesn't make sense either, but that's a whole other post.

I don't think that scene is anywhere near as unambiguous as you're making it out to be. It's not so much "oh the Buddhist shaman is definitely a demon" as it is that everyone perceives him as one and the camera takes on the nephew's perspective -- which on top of all the other stress he's under is tinged with anti-Japanese racism (understandably given the history of Korea, but that doesn't necessarily make him right).

Like the shaman literally stands there taking pictures (calling attention to the distinction between the objective record of a camera vs. personal perspective) and demanding to know why the nephew can't decide who and what he is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
like there's definitely a read of the film where the japanese and korean shamans are evil and working together (or, possibly, sequentially possessed by the same demon, with a bit in the middle where the japanese shaman isn't possessed at the time) and No Name really is a guardian spirit or angel -- and that was probably the original intention, given the director has said that he originally had a definite ending in mind and then decided to make it ambiguous -- but in the version of the film we actually got all three of the spiritual guides are implicated at one time or another and all are at odds with each other

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 30, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

like there's definitely a read of the film where the japanese and korean shamans are evil and working together (or, possibly, sequentially possessed by the same demon, with a bit in the middle where the japanese shaman isn't possessed at the time) and No Name really is a guardian spirit or angel -- and that was probably the original intention, given the director has said that he originally had a definite ending in mind and then decided to make it ambiguous -- but in the version of the film we actually got all three of the spiritual guides are implicated at one time or another and all are at odds with each other

Goes beyond an earlier vision, they filmed it explicitly

"In a deleted scene happening right after the conclusion of the story, the Japanese man is seen sitting on a bench by the roadside. He spots a family on the other side of the road and invites a child to him by offering her candies, but the mom picks up the kid before she manages to reach the stranger. A car driven by Il-gwang arrives and picks up the Japanese man before leaving. In the center of the road, Moo-myeong witness the car fading away in the horizon."

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/bdisgusting/status/1322194931356733442?s=21

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1321844814145638407?s=19

Jesus christ, I don't think I've ever seen tragedy film come out while tragedy is still happening

i am in awe rn

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

I've watched so many horror movies this month. i rewatched both suspirias too and i have to say i love the original, that's clearly the better film, but i appreciated the remake a bit more than i did last time. also the thom yorke soundtrack is fire.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1322207490944258055?s=20

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

do these posers hold NOTHING sacred?!?!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

do these posers hold NOTHING sacred?!?!

It's Blumhouse, that's enough of an answer for you

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

aren't the rights for that all hosed up?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

aren't the rights for that all hosed up?

Blumhouse got that money to throw around and the clout for getting audiences to watch.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I got the Blu-ray box set and realized there are only 12 Friday the Thirteenth movies. There needs to be one more.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

I got the Blu-ray box set and realized there are only 12 Friday the Thirteenth movies. There needs to be one more.

Yes this has been sticking in our craw for over a decade now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
They could release a Friday the 13th movie every year from now until I die and I would be down every time. Gimme all the Jason.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Let Rob Zombie direct the 13th Friday the 13th

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PeterCat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbl0DmPR9fo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K_wkQSM8xM

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

We want good movies. This is how that doesn’t happen.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Compromise

Blumhouse Presents Rob Zombie's Friday the 13th the 13th

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

I liked Murder Death Koreatown a lot, I haven't seen anything else more recent

Thanks for the rec. I enjoyed this despite the controversial aspects.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rob Zombie would make it too serious. It needs to be stupid and silly.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

Rob Zombie would make it too serious. It needs to be stupid and silly.

Also, Jason isn't a hellbilly

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Bring back Abbott and Costello meet..., except it’s “The Firefly Family Meets Jason,” “The Firefly Family Meets Freddy,” etc

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CommunityEdition posted:

Bring back Abbott and Costello meet..., except it’s “The Firefly Family Abbott and Costello Meets Jason,” “The Firefly Family Abbott and Costello Meets Freddy,” etc

Cast new actors to play them exactly as in the original actors, or use puppets to make them the shambling corpses of the original actors. Either way I'm happy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Cast new actors to play them exactly as in the original actors, or use puppets to make them the shambling corpses of the original actors. Either way I'm happy.

Have it be a plot point that its the actors brought back to life in new actors bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sigher posted:

Antebellum sucks loving rear end, god drat. The trailers made it look so good.
Yeah, what a loving disappointment that one was.
I'm in!
At least it's Blumhouse doing it