Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I read the first speech bubble like ten times deciding if I was crazy or maybe it was just Very British somehow

Then I read the second speech bubble and lol'd

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 10, 1999)

I can't believe I'm being called out like this

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

rannum posted:

I can't believe I'm being called out like this

I'm pretty sure the manufacturers just started putting a clock on every appliance because "it's got a display on it so you might as well" and it's terrible. Every time the power goes out or DST starts or you have to unplug something there's goddamn clocks to reset. Some of them at least don't bother you if you ignore them, but others just start counting from 12:00 as soon as the power's turned on so you either set it correctly or have it constantly telling you the wrong time. Good luck remembering how to do it though because the procedure is different for every device and makes no sense. And that's not even getting into the ones that just aren't accurate so even if you do set them they get less and less accurate the longer it's been since you did. I'd actually pay extra for a microwave without a clock on it because every one I've owned has been wildly inaccurate.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 04, 1942)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"A look of surprise comes over Boltar's innocent face." :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Poil posted:

"A look of surprise comes over Boltar's innocent face." :allears:

Yeah lmao, Boltar know his men :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

As a rough guess from the stars shown in the last panel, I'd put the pole star somewhere around 15 degrees above the horizon, which means that's how many degrees north of the equator they are -- somewhere off the coast of present-day Mauritania. Which means they went a thousand miles or so between those last two panels.

Astronomical/historical side note: this takes place over a thousand years ago, when Polaris was located a few degrees away from the celestial pole (because Earth very slowly wobbles around a bit and points the pole in different directions). This adds some uncertainty to the conclusion of where they are, but considering I'm just eyeballing a hand-drawn sketch, it isn't exactly a precise measure to begin with.

I just think it's neat that ol' Hal put a tiny bit of real astronomy into the strip. :science:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

I'm just popping into this thread to say that Peanuts edits (or edits of other comics for that matter!) with the n-word in them might be a little too spicy for this thread. So please refrain from posting that sort of thing from now on!

Fair enough. I literally just grabbed some random lyrics so I hadn't even thought of that angle. I've edited my previous post.

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (November 12, 1917)

Yes! Now kick him in the teeth!

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Mar 20, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes ()

I love that last panel with Calvin holding the bat so much.

Robbie and Bobby

(Dec 16, 2016)

(Oct 30, 2020)

Support Jason's Patreon here.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Medenmath posted:

God do I love Prince Valiant. I wish I had given it a chance when I was a kid.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

~Coxy posted:

Born Thirty Years Too Soon

lol, this also works with the "time on the VCR/Microwave/Clock" strip.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

The All-Important Second Annual Pizza Golem Yockfest

On the one hand, I love Mr. Monster. On the other, I wish he were showing up in a better newspaper comic.

Docks
We're in September 17-21 of 2001, the perfect time to go into reruns.

Retail

Dick

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The_Other posted:

On @BreakingCatNews Georgia Dunn posted some pictures from the Halloween the Boy and the Girl dressed up in these costumes.

Tres cute.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise in Tribute of the Pharaoh

This looks like it could be a right good adventure.

Slammy posted:

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (May 29, 1948)

“Gee, Sis … Didn’t I tell ya? Benjie an’ I were playin’ government officials today, so we levied lotsa TAX xxx on chairs and LOW places.”

It is surprising how... well, explicit things could be back in the day.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Samovar posted:

And just a few decades after this

Granted there were some pretty big things happening between those two.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Samovar posted:

I thought Mopsy went pretty far, but Patty-Jo 'n' Ginger really pushed it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Apartment 3-G

Geez couldn't you just take a drat sick day in 1975 without everyone jumping up your butt?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Samovar posted:

This looks like it could be a right good adventure.

Modesty Blaise vs The Stage 3 Guild Navigator.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I forget. What class of macro-nutrient is sugar? I just can't recall.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe

Rae the Doe's web archives

Other Side of the Globe

Wrestling

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
why does the one dog in overboard talk and wear clothes but the other one doesnt

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
One is a pirate dog and one is just a dog

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Points for Rae for complaining about something that hc wrestling fans actually hate (lame roll-up finishes).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

I actually liked this one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kennel posted:

And just a few decades after this

Born thirty years too soon

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
If you're trying to make me feel sympathy for Bernice it's not working.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Presto posted:

If you're trying to make me feel sympathy for Bernice it's not working.

What about now

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
hard to get invested in this drama when we know it's probably going to skip to some other plot line with no resolution. i still want to know how that vegetable soup turned out drat it

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Born thirty years too soon

Let's give the chap a break

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 25, 2022

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the origin of my Avatar

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

EasyEW posted:

9 Bra-strap Lane

Of course the twins turn into glowering little demons.

It's already been pointed out that Brooke is being very gross about ten year old girls and their underwear, but while he's stuck on the idea that training bras are some necessary precursor to bras that you must force your daughters into, in my experience the actual practical purpose of a training bra is very different.

They are for girls who have not yet grown enough boob to need a bra, but also have to change for gym in front of girls who do. The shame of being the only one who hasn't started wearing a bra yet is palpable.

Alternately, you have a parent who has decided that you're old enough that your nipples are now obscene.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yeah, really. It's called a training bra, but that doesn't mean what Brooke seems to think it means. Young girls don't have to be trained over time in the arts of wearing a bra; it's not that complicated and once you get it on a couple of times, you've got it. They don't have to be trained to be willing to wear a bra; our society is pretty good at applying enough pressure that most of the time girls want a bra when the time comes. It's also not like if you don't put one on your kid by the time she's 12 her boobs will grow in the wrong way, so it's not training in that sense, either.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i'm in this and i dont like it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'll take a clean roll up over interference any day.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's gotta fit the theatre of the fight. If the event cannot run a natural course as the inherently commedia dell'arte nature demands, how can they expect the crowd to provide the extra, choral character in the scene?

Vince is a gently caress.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I skipped like ten pages to say gently caress you TomBat.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
If I remember correctly, some parts of this Moomin story end up being a bit disappointing, if you expect it to follow the standard 21st century narrative/metaphors (which would have been way too cool for a 50s comic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If tombat had Mr. Monster shoot someone wearing a pizza golem costume, well I wouldn’t forgive him but I’d at least see something interesting in funky Winkerbean.

Also, Brooke is a turbo creep.