Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Cicero posted:

Based on the PS4, do we have a good idea how well the PS5 will handle multiple consoles/accounts in the same household? In terms of being able to play with each other, and switch which console you're using for a game without losing saves, not having to buy every game twice, etc.?

DRM such as it is should be identical to how it worked on PS4: your account owns the game and can play it anywhere it's logged in (but can only be logged in in one place at a time) and can designate a primary console on which that account's games can be played by any account whether or not logged in. What I don't know, now I think about it, is if you can have a primary PS4 and a primary PS5 at the same time. With disk-based games, you can play the game on the disk on any console while the disk is inserted.

Beyond that, cloud saves will work as they always have, but there's no specific system by which you can seamlessly start a game session on one console and then move it to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

This is hurting my brain.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Fedule posted:

Beyond that, cloud saves will work as they always have, but there's no specific system by which you can seamlessly start a game session on one console and then move it to another.
That's fine.

Basically I'm thinking of how much of a hassle/problem it is if I have two PS5's in two different places, and my son and I are the primary players, and we want to play with each other in games and which console we're using can change.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chin Strap posted:

How bad would it be to play MM before Spiderman I wonder? I haven't played it yet but it seems like a waste to play a simple remaster of a ps4 game over one of the PS5 flagship launch titles first...

Story-wise it would probably be weird but if you're not hung up on stuff being spoiled the first game would be like a prequel.

There is some stuff different in the controls, though, so it might be strange to go from one to the other right away (whichever one you play first).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

1 billion dollars just for anime?

It makes sense. As a corporation they've been making moves in that direction for a while now. The question is, do they merge them into Funimation?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

https://www.pinterest.com/sopekoo/weeb-rooms/

uuh I think they got a pretty good deal here

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It wouldn't be surprising to see Sony buy up a drama streaming service or two as well and make a Sony exclusive Korean and other drama application. Maybe Viki and another top 3 streaming app and content creator.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

You guys see this? Looks like a gameplay cross between BotW and SotC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQMn4JEZmiE

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hey Sony, I wouldn't hate it if my PS+ account acted as a Crunchyroll subscription...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lobok posted:

Hey Sony, I wouldn't hate it if my PS+ account acted as a Crunchyroll subscription...

:same:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lobok posted:

I doubt that'd happen but if it did then that'd be a pretty fantastic value.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kinda weird that they're diving back into streaming video after giving up on PS Vue

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lobok posted:

lol yes I'm sure they'll tie in an anime streaming service to your video game subscription

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bradzilla posted:

lol yes I'm sure they'll tie in an anime streaming service to your video game subscription

Like it's likely not going to happen, but it' also not much of a stretch to see Sony expanding their subscription service to cover more content that they own.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

It makes sense. As a corporation they've been making moves in that direction for a while now. The question is, do they merge them into Funimation?

Anime and manga is also basically completely normal for Zoomers and so the market is just going to keep expanding from this point forward.

As for merging them into Funimation, probably not, owning Crunchyroll gives them a lot of deals with just about every Japanese studio and broadcaster and CR in general is known as the destination to watch anime if you want more than the slice Netflix or Hulu serves up. Keeping it around and using Funi as the physical publishing arm/distributor for US channels and outside streaming services to work with while CR operates as the online pathway for Japanese studio and broadcasters to get their product in front of international eyes seems the most symbiotic relationship for the two to have.

haveblue posted:

Kinda weird that they're diving back into streaming video after giving up on PS Vue

This is a bit different than having to deal with American broadcasters and their owner companies, think about how actual cable providers get into pissing matches every renewal with one company or another over the money exchanged for carrying their channels. Sony entered that market launching an IPTV service, realized it wasn’t worth the trouble, and dumped out on it. They’re not licensing entire channels here, just particular content. Much lower cost, much higher returns.

I mean, it’s not like they’ve ever shut down Crackle.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 30, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bradzilla posted:

I'm by no means expecting it but PlayStation hasn't been exclusively about videogames since... never? At least as far back as PS2 it was a multimedia machine, not sure about PS1. At some point they might combine the different subscriptions into one (thinking of PSNow as well), especially if they raised the overall price or had bundles for lower prices than the separate parts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7uiuTzXbfI
HYYYYYYYYPE AS FUUUUUUUCK

I'm gonna pre-order it because I want all the items.

Also I will recomend playign PS4 Spider-Man because as Spider-Man story arcs go this one is actually very strong and has multiple high impact moments, IMO. The Andrew Garfield Spider-Mans are 100% not as well written or directed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It'd probably be too expensive for bundle it into PS+, but a bundle discount would be a great idea.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Sent from my iPad posted:

I assume there's still no word on when more consoles will be available to preorder/buy?

I've heard rumors that the next wave will be for Black Friday. I dunno how true they are, but places like Target are putting out ads and things that say you can only buy it online for in-store pick up so no one can actually physically buy it in store. At this point I'm just in wait and see mode.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ufarn posted:

It'd probably be too expensive for bundle it into PS+, but a bundle discount would be a great idea.

Not having separate logins is also a small but appreciated benefit. For Sony as well since I'd be less willing to share my account with someone if it was my whole Sony account.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

abraxas posted:

Can someone explain the whole console transfer thing to me? Like getting all my data from my PS4 to my (eventual) PS5 and stuff. I remember someone earlier posting in here or the PS4 thread that it's essentially just connecting both consoles with an ethernet cable but somehow I'm having doubts.

If the packaging is to be believed (see here: ) it says both consoles need to be on the same network, not just connected to each other. Which for me would mean I'd have to have them both on my lovely WiFi and that would probably make this whole ordeal take hours upon hours.

I don't have an external harddrive because my last one literally exploded (it spun itself out of existence somehow) so am I gonna be stuck with transfering my PS4 stuff to my PS5 over WiFi for 24 hours or something?

I seem to recall it being confirmed that you could transfer with a network cable hooked between the two consoles and nothing else in between. This is a standard supported feature with ethernet (you traditionally needed a crossover cables where some of the pins on one end are switched around, but hardware has been able to autodetect and correct that for a while).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It would be really weird if "on the same network" did not include a direct ethernet connection. A consumer ethernet hub or cheap router with 2 devices attached is not meaningfully different from running a single cable between them anyway.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

haveblue posted:

They already own Funimation.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/bricepuls/status/1321526141967044608

acksplode
May 17, 2004

univbee posted:

I seem to recall it being confirmed that you could transfer with a network cable hooked between the two consoles and nothing else in between. This is a standard supported feature with ethernet (you traditionally needed a crossover cables where some of the pins on one end are switched around, but hardware has been able to autodetect and correct that for a while).

I did a system transfer between PS3's this way once upon a time, just connected them with a regular ethernet cable and manually configured the network settings on both ends so they could talk. PS5's system transfer stuff seems to work the same way as PS3 and PS4 so I bet that'll work.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
The issue would be if you also need internet access for whatever reason for the transfer to work.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So are Bugsnax folks happy to have it as PS5 launch title for PS+ or not do you think?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's cool that Bugsnax is getting that kind of exposure, good for Young Horses

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Sony’s gonna make bank on reselling those 20 anime figurines.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just got my Pulse headset!!! OMFG MY HYPE-O-METER IS IN THE RED AAAARGH

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Chin Strap posted:

So are Bugsnax folks happy to have it as PS5 launch title for PS+ or not do you think?

I mean, Sony wouldn't just decide to do that without agreement from the publisher. So yes, I'd say they're probably happy about it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Cameo posted:

Sony will always ensure I have access to Joe Dirt 2, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Sports Jeopardy and one random standard def episode of DuckTales.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Cameo posted:

They actually sold their stake in Crackle last year.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fix posted:

You guys see this? Looks like a gameplay cross between BotW and SotC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQMn4JEZmiE

Oh hell yes take the good thing and mash it up with the other good thing and hook it into my veins

This is turning out to be one of my better kickstarter impulses. I'd actually forgotten about it but hey now I get to feel all that hype come back.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What the gently caress? Ubisoft confirmed a separate list of their own games that won’t be PS5 compatible.

Assassin’s Creed Syndicate
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles India
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles China
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Russia
Risk
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Werewolves Within
Space Junkies

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

univbee posted:

What the gently caress? Ubisoft confirmed a separate list of their own games that won’t be PS5 compatible.

Risk
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Werewolves Within
Space Junkies

Where did you see this?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

univbee posted:

Risk
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Werewolves Within
Space Junkies

That seems...bizarre. Ubisoft gonna Ubisoft I guess?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

univbee posted:

Risk
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Werewolves Within
Space Junkies

If you look at the playstation store page for these there is a blurb stating "When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior and some features available on PS4 may be absent. To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details."

There are around 100 games with the same warning.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
It is saying your system may need to be updated. Nothing about game patches though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

morestuff posted:

I know buying the PS4 version of Miles Morales unlocks the PS5 version, but does anyone know if the reverse is true? It's kind of academic I guess but I'd like the guy I'm giving my PS4 to to be able to play it as well. Would just need to cancel my pre-order of the PS5 version

i remember reading it was true for the digital version at least, yeah. no sure on the physical