Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Futaba Anzu posted:

it's been 2 years for obra dinn and only a year since outer wilds' official full release, even clones would take more than that time to even get off the ground if they wanted to be even halfway decent.

outer wilds spent nearly 8 years in development from conception, all that time and effort shows with the brilliance of a universe birthing it's insane they even nailed it so well with just that time

One thing I think unites Outer Wilds and Obra Dinn is how cohesive everything is. Basic gameplay, story and puzzles all reinforce each other to the extent that it would be really difficult to clone them. It's kind of like how at the start of the last console generation people were expecting a ton of games to rip off Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system, but it just didn't happen (that I can recall).

I hope I'm wrong because I would love more intricate puzzle / mystery games like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

One thing I think unites Outer Wilds and Obra Dinn is how cohesive everything is. Basic gameplay, story and puzzles all reinforce each other to the extent that it would be really difficult to clone them. It's kind of like how at the start of the last console generation people were expecting a ton of games to rip off Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system, but it just didn't happen (that I can recall).

I hope I'm wrong because I would love more intricate puzzle / mystery games like these.

This is particularly interesting for Outer Wilds because if you read up on the background of it, the creation was basically just throwing in a bunch of random ideas from other projects the lead dev made during university (the NoClip doc has a bunch of stuff about this). So the elements weren't like, carefully constructed to all fit a particular overarching theme, but they did all happen to be things he was personally interested in, so themes kind of naturally emerged anyway.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Khanstant posted:

I will say watching him view the finale was really unsatisfying, but the ending itself still made me tear up in the same weird way it did when I played. I think a big part of him missing the point of the end was that he never at any point realized the universe was ending. Which is odd, he even engaged when some of the NPCs who talked about it and I think he even watched some of the supernovae.

edit: He explains his disappointment a little better, he was expecting some straightforward science answers to little things from this teenyverse. I still think him not grokking the death of the universe itself was a big component regardless of the physics of teenyverse, death of the universe is... universal.

To be fair, when I read the messages from the other ships, I thought it was a result of the time loop. The universe is way older than what everybody thought it was because its been stuck in a loop long enough for stars to go supernova.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's not quite right. The universe is reaching the natural end of its life. That is why the loop happens. The ATP's function of sending data back through time was meant to be powered by a supernova induced by the Sun Station. The ATP was meant to absorb the power of the supernova and use it to send information back in time through the masks. At first, only one mask was activated, and it was linked with the Orbital Probe Cannon. Upon receiving data sent back 22 minutes by the ATP, the Orbital Probe Cannon would fire in some direction it had not previously fired. If the probe found the Eye, the Probe Tracking Module would send a signal to the ATP to be sent back with the next supernova. This signal would tell the Nomai the location of the eye, so they could shut off the Sun Station and go visit it. It would also activate the other masks, giving the Nomai a failsafe where if they failed to deactivate the Sun Station in time, they would get more opportunities until they succeeded, each with the knowledge of failed attempts.

Unfortunately, the Sun Station failed to cause a supernova as intended. While the Nomai were considering their next move, the Interloper came into the system and blew out ghost matter, killing all non-aquatic life in the system. Eventually, most of the ghost matter fades away, and the Hearthians evolve to become a terrestrial species. Hundreds of thousands of years later, at the natural end of the universe, the sun goes supernova. The Ash Twin Project functions as intended and uses its energy to send a signal 22 minutes back in time to tell the Orbital Probe Cannon to fire. On the 9,318,054th cycle, the probe finds the Eye. This causes the Ash Twin Project to activate the other statues. You and Gabbro link with the statues, and your memories are sent back in time. Only the final loop where the game ends actually happens, the others are all just memories implanted by the ATP. The other Nomai clans have been exploring the universe for hundreds of thousands of years since the loss of the Nomai clan we know. They are noticing that stars are going supernova, and they decide to all gather together in the place with the most remaining stars to witness the end of the universe. Unlike every other set of Nomai messages in the game, these are current messages. The Vessel's communication system is still able to receive even though it lacks the power to transmit.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 24, 2020

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is particularly interesting for Outer Wilds because if you read up on the background of it, the creation was basically just throwing in a bunch of random ideas from other projects the lead dev made during university (the NoClip doc has a bunch of stuff about this). So the elements weren't like, carefully constructed to all fit a particular overarching theme, but they did all happen to be things he was personally interested in, so themes kind of naturally emerged anyway.

That's why it took about 3 years to basically build all the "game play" elements together but an additional 4 years to figure out all the connective tissue (plus revamping the game to what it is today)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Woah, I didn't know the part about the remaining clans. How cool.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

TraderStav posted:

Woah, I didn't know the part about the remaining clans. How cool.

Did you read all the messages in the vessel?

also, the reason the time loop is even happening is because the universe is ending, and the supernova, which the nomai intended to artificially create, but didnt, naturally happened and set into motion the events that the nomai were hoping to do then reverse- when the universe wasn't ending, but now you're doing it because the universe *is* ending and started the time loop naturally

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Imhotep posted:

Did you read all the messages in the vessel?

also, the reason the time loop is even happening is because the universe is ending, and the supernova, which the nomai intended to artificially create, but didnt, naturally happened and set into motion the events that the nomai were hoping to do then reverse- when the universe wasn't ending, but now you're doing it because the universe *is* ending and started the time loop naturally

I did, but for whatever reason didn't make the connection that the lost vessel they were referring to was THE vessel. In my defense I was hurrying through that piece trying to not run out of time.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

timp posted:

Much in the same way that we all assumed we’d get Obra Dinn clones after that game came out. :smith:

But I’m afraid that the presentation with both Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds was so good that no inferior studio would dare attempt a knockoff of either one. Hell, it took 4 years for a Breath of the Wild clone, and that’s not even a puzzle game!

I eagerly await and welcome any and all Obra Dinn and/or Outer Wilds clones!!!

I am 66 minutes into Heaven's Vault.

It's not quite clicking in the way Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds did but I am still intrigued enough to continue.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, it didn't click for me so far either. The weird auto walk and the feeling of being on rails is really not my thing so far. Do tell me more if you continue playing it

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I’m gonna have to try Return of the Obra Dinn. I was reluctant, because Papers, Please is so goddamn oppressive. It’s hard to play in the same way some Philip K. Dick stories are hard to read.

I went with Alone, or Always, or whatever it’s called. It’s the one where you’re a robust dead old guy running around in the afterlife replaying parts of your existence. It has some Braid mechanics. It’s good, but not Outer Wilds good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Obra Dinn is pretty good but I gave up on it because There's just so much happening and it all gets told out of order. And it honestly got too weird for me. You start off investigating what seems like a mutiny and then there are krakens and crab creatures

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Maybe I'm just dumb but Obra Dinn felt way too hard, and didn't really provide the continuous flow of aha! moments Outer Wilds did. Still a beautiful game, to be sure.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Sardonik posted:

Maybe I'm just dumb but Obra Dinn felt way too hard, and didn't really provide the continuous flow of aha! moments Outer Wilds did. Still a beautiful game, to be sure.

Yeah I got to a point where I'd watched all the flashbacks and solved what I could based on voices / names / etc, and it turned out i needed to be zooming in to look at random numbers next to bunks that weren't in any way highlighted or called out or looking at the corner of someone's boots, and I just gave up as I wasn't really having any fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not to mention that things happen so slowly. Or when you're doing the evidence discovery thing with the watch where you have to follow some orb around. I know where it is going because it's kind of hinted in the previous memory, but I instead have to wander all over the ship following that stupid orb.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wish I was in a time loop that didn't send my memory of Outer Wilds back in time so I could play it again for the first time forever.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Bedshaped posted:

I am 66 minutes into Heaven's Vault.

It's not quite clicking in the way Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds did but I am still intrigued enough to continue.
Heaven's Vault didn't grab me as hard as Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds too, but the language deciphering was fun as hell. My only complaint is that there are one or two places where you could conceivably figure out a word with what you've learned, but the game won't let you do it because you haven't found a previous word that's related directly enough. That was pretty rare though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Heavens Vault is the game where the main character has a stuffed red nose the whole time, right?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Okay, I must be so close to the end, but I need a little push in the right direction, maybe someone can give me a clue without giving too much away?

I've discovered almost everything, the only question marks left in my computer are related to the quantum moon and ash twin. I've input the coordinates for the eye from the middle of giant's deep into the hexagonal things in the vessel, but I couldn't get anything else to happen there, I guess because the warp core is busted. I reckon I'll need another warp core, maybe I can get the one from the center of ash twin somehow? There must be some way to get inside ash twin right? (except from what I understand, that core powers the time loop, so maybe that's wrong? Maybe I can get a different core from the forge or something?)

Also, I haven't figured out how to visit the quantum moon, I can only fly right through it. I also tried using the shuttle from the gravity cannon on brittle hollow, but that doesn't seem to take me there unless I just haven't figured out how to make it do so. I can't think of anything that might get me there, except maybe something to do with the quantum stones, I know about riding the stone inside ember twin, but I'm not sure how that helps me. The quantum moon tracker thing in the quantum knowledge place seemed to imply that the secret sixth location is also the eye, but maybe I misunderstood

See, I've got all this information, I just don't know how to put it all together, and this is the first time in the game I've felt like I'm stuck and I can't find anything else to do.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

super fart shooter posted:

Okay, I must be so close to the end, but I need a little push in the right direction, maybe someone can give me a clue without giving too much away?

Vague answers in plain text, slightly less vague ones in spoilers:

It is possible to get into the center of Ash Twin. Lore reveals that the core of Ash Twin has been carefully sealed with impenetrable stone from Timber Hearth. Maybe there's a way to travel there without having to worry about solid matter being in the way.

You seem to be missing one of the main pieces regarding quantum knowledge. Be sure to thoroughly explore Giant's Deep.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The main thing you need to know is the three Quantum Rules. Have you learned all three of them? If not, that's what you're missing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You’re probably missing the exact same thing I managed to miss throughout the entire game, at least when it comes to the quantum moon.

Use your scope while on Giant’s Deep and check all the frequencies and where those lead.

As for the Ash Twin I think that’s the hardest puzzle in the game and I basically discovered it by accident. I’m having trouble thinking of a way to hint at it without just explaining it.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I have found that tower on giant's deep where you have to do all the quantum puzzles. Maybe there was also an island with a quantum stone or something...? I'll revisit those places and give it some more thought, I've been playing through the game pretty slowly and may have forgotten all the details... Thanks folks

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I have found that tower on giant's deep where you have to do all the quantum puzzles. Maybe there was also an island with a quantum stone or something...? I'll revisit those places and give it some more thought, I've been playing through the game pretty slowly and may have forgotten all the details... Thanks folks

Have you managed to land on the quantum moon? That’s rule 1. Think about the other rules.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The tower on Giant's Deep gives you all of the information you need to land on the quantum moon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe give the tower on Giant's Deep another run-through if it's been a while.

And for your other issue, check over the Black Hole Forge on Brittle, make sure you've read everything there and remember it, there's some conversations there that might get you started.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I guess I’m gonna have to try Return of the Obra Dinn. I was reluctant, because Papers, Please is so goddamn oppressive. It’s hard to play in the same way some Philip K. Dick stories are hard to read.

obra dinn is loving amazing but it's also a fairly hard logic puzzle game. you will need to pay very close attention to all the clues the game gives you, as some of them are pretty honkingly obvious and some of them are nearly invisible

outer wilds is pretty action packed, and forces you to do as much as you can in 22 minute chunks. if you blaze through obra dinn you absolutely will miss vital clues and make untangling the story that much harder

Sardonik posted:

outer wilds really clobbers you with the wonder and majesty of space, obra dinn is more like a particularly gory episode of some kind of british crime drama full of quiet contemplation and softly ticking clocks

i'm glad obra dinn came out in 2018 because it would have been really difficult to choose between obra dinn and outer wilds for my puzzle/adventure goty 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 31, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

buffalo all day posted:

random numbers next to bunks that weren't in any way highlighted or called out
you mean, apart from having a dedicated column in the crew manifest you've been using all along?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chev posted:

you mean, apart from having a dedicated column in the crew manifest you've been using all along?

there are random bits of 18th century nautical trivia which are almost cheats for obra dinn, such as the common practice of giving each sailor a hammock berth with an assigned number or the mariniere, a particular shirt associated with french sailors which makes the bosun's mate identifiable immediately

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Re: quantum stuff : What I'm going to put is as minimally spoilery as possible. It's a problem a lot of people have because the game doesn't explain it, and you can solve every other quantum puzzle without understanding it. In the real world, quantum states are collapsed by observing them. In Outer Wilds, quantum states are collapsed as long as any observation of them remains.

Re: Ash Twin : The game has told you what you need to do to get there. It's a mechanic you have used before, but you just haven't tried it the right way to achieve your goal. It is meant to be the last puzzle you solve, so it is the "hardest" puzzle and it can be a bit obtuse to some people. It's worth solving on your own if you can manage it. As mentioned, the Black Hole Forge and to a lesser extent the HEL have some notes that will help point you in the right direction.

luxury handset posted:

there are random bits of 18th century nautical trivia which are almost cheats for obra dinn, such as the common practice of giving each sailor a hammock berth with an assigned number or the mariniere, a particular shirt associated with french sailors which makes the bosun's mate identifiable immediately

Exactly this. While Outer Wilds subverts most of your real-world knowledge by being absurd, Obra Dinn expects you to heavily rely on out of game knowledge, and the only other solution is to be cheesy with the game's mechanics. It's still a great game, but if you lack any bit of the required knowledge there are places where it will leave you stranded, feeling like you've missed a clue and futilely searching for something that doesn't exist. Often you'll even see most of what you need for a particular answer, but that one piece of real-world trivia that goes unmentioned in game is the key to putting it all together.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That isn't true, real world knowledge can make certain puzzles in Obra Dinn easier, but it's almost never necessary. The Frenchman is a good example of this as you could get him early by his shirt, or you can wait till late in the game where you get much more explicit in game clues.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The only thing I can think of that I'm pretty sure requires out-of-game knowledge is differentiating the two female passengers, which requires you to know That married people wear wedding rings, and unmarried women have the title "Miss".

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm having issues with controller drift with this game, but no others. Anyone experienced something similar?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So I finished, thanks for the tips!

Turns out I already knew everything about the quantum moon, it just didn't occur to me to keep it from moving when trying to land. Wasn't too hard to figure out the rest

The ash twin entrance was actually pretty simple, just really easy to miss... The key bit of info for me was when I went back to the forge, and one of the messages mentioned that they had six warp towers on ash twin, and so I counted all the places I knew you could warp to from there, and realized there must be another destination I didn't know about. I'd never paid much mind to the fact that there are two hourglass towers, since there's not much practical need to warp over to ember twin, and there's no obvious reason to assume the other would go somewhere else

The music that started playing when I pulled the core was pretty intense, my heart was pounding when I was flying through the bramble lol

Incredible game. I'm sure some of you have done the single loop achievement? Is that as hard to execute as it sounds?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Incredible game. I'm sure some of you have done the single loop achievement? Is that as hard to execute as it sounds?

Probably not, since it's just repeating what you did on the loop when you beat the game the first time immediately after hitting New Game. You can skip all the investigation when you already know the answers, nothing is dynamic or randomized or anything like that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

Obra Dinn expects you to heavily rely on out of game knowledge, and the only other solution is to be cheesy with the game's mechanics. It's still a great game, but if you lack any bit of the required knowledge there are places where it will leave you stranded, feeling like you've missed a clue and futilely searching for something that doesn't exist.

it really doesn't, obra dinn can be solved entirely with knowledge given to the player in game. you have to be very observant to catch it all, but it's all in there

the single biggest tip i'd give a player to not get lost is to pay very close attention to when a character's face becomes 'unblurred', because that is when the game is strongly signaling to you that you should know who this is now, probably due to clues just provided in that scene

Reveilled posted:

The only thing I can think of that I'm pretty sure requires out-of-game knowledge is differentiating the two female passengers, which requires you to know That married people wear wedding rings, and unmarried women have the title "Miss".

that and the western convention of maiden names

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

haveblue posted:

Probably not, since it's just repeating what you did on the loop when you beat the game the first time immediately after hitting New Game. You can skip all the investigation when you already know the answers, nothing is dynamic or randomized or anything like that.

So you don't get the coordinates? Feels like that is the part that feels like cheating to me as everything else doesn't require any unlocking.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TraderStav posted:

So you don't get the coordinates? Feels like that is the part that feels like cheating to me as everything else doesn't require any unlocking.

Well yeah, the whole achievement is "cheating", because you can't possibly do it without knowing most of what there is to learn about the game before hitting New Game again, including that specific item.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 2, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

haveblue posted:

Well yeah, the whole achievement is "cheating", because you can't possibly do it without knowing most of what there is to learn about the game before hitting New Game again, including that specific item.

Yeah, you're right. Not sure why that piece stands out for me. I'll reframe the question for those who have completed this achievement, has it included getting the coordinates or do they just know them or have them written down and there simply isn't enough time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, you're right. Not sure why that piece stands out for me. I'll reframe the question for those who have completed this achievement, has it included getting the coordinates or do they just know them or have them written down and there simply isn't enough time

The coordinates don't change so yeah you don't do the whole giant's deep thing to get them. You just get the core then go to the vessel and plug them in.