Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Everyone shut up about some lukewarm hot takes and answer my question about early vote counting

This isn’t backseat modding, it’s grassroots community building btw

You asked about states that can pre-count ballots--the states that are allowed to ABSOLUTELY are going to. In fact, NC and FL are already doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Everyone shut up about some lukewarm hot takes and answer my question about early vote counting

This isn’t backseat modding, it’s grassroots community building btw
I think that it is a fair question and I do not know of an affirmative answer but it would seem they would want to get started in order to avoid being in giant lawsuits or, potentially, having a situation where Trump's Nov 3 numbers are humiliatingly low because the pro-Trump counties all went "a ha, they said we MAY begin counting not that we MUST begin counting, checkmate libs"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
are you guys gonna loving [redacted] some rando journalist (who's apparently part of 'the dirtbag left') because he kinda arzy'd? You guys okay?

I mean, no, we're all not okay, but more than usual?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

biden has no ground game but his air 236p is incredibly good and leads to a lot of ambiguous mixups

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Biden is sleepwalking his way to victory and you guys are still worrying

poo poo he's not even walking, just sleeping

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

are you guys gonna loving [redacted] some rando journalist (who's apparently part of 'the dirtbag left') because he kinda arzy'd? You guys okay?

saying someone has bad takes is not threatening them, what is wrong with you

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lmao, I got three texts and two calls because I lived in a swing state in 2012 I think his field is doing just fine without knocking doors.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I've gotten about ten texts in the last couple weeks and I live in Massachusetts; dude is juicing every vote from every corner of the nation he can.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

An Arf Jason post in the wild.

Also I don't think its "arzying" when you want the candidate to lose.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I've been calling the poo poo out of Dems in a swing state for months and I'm not even working for the Biden campaign proper. People are loving tired of phone calls, they're being inundated with them.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Anyway I know that we haven't had any polls and everything is sitting around eating their fingers, but lets try to ratchet things down just a little bit.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Biden is sleepwalking his way to victory and you guys are still worrying

poo poo he's not even walking, just sleeping

That's what's really getting me. A slightly stale loaf of white bread is very likely to break the back of the Republican Party. Something feels off, probably just anxiety.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Endorph posted:

biden has no ground game but his air 236p is incredibly good and leads to a lot of ambiguous mixups

Biden uses the west coast offense

Anyway, count me in as one of the people who's tired of seeing Twitter disinformation hot takes from nobodies being used to start chicken little derails. Historically it's been a problem with this thread but in the last week it feels like the same 2-3 posters finding reasons to tear their hair out. I would like to see a thread rule against tweets from people who aren't even with a news org, probably.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TwoQuestions posted:

That's what's really getting me. A slightly stale loaf of white bread is very likely to break the back of the Republican Party. Something feels off, probably just anxiety.

It's a weird year, with a very weird incumbent leading the GOP. A lot of things that "shouldn't be working," are working, due to circumstance. Just roll with it, is my feeling.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 31, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

TwoQuestions posted:

Log off. Seriously.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I've gotten about ten texts in the last couple weeks and I live in Massachusetts; dude is juicing every vote from every corner of the nation he can.

I’ve received 4 texts from 4 different people in 3 days to sign up for a phone bank shift. There a ton of volunteers who are texting and phone banking right now, in battleground states.

I was even asked to take over the response to a voter in my native language, 3 other people chimed in before me to take it. The online game is quite massive and they’re trying to reach Spanish speaking voters with specific outreach texting and calling events.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I just want Florida to go biden on election night so i can focus the next day.
Unfortunately i cant take the day off so im dreading refreshing vote counts all day
but this is 2020 so i doubt itll happen

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TwoQuestions posted:

Well, read the other posts on this page, lots of motivated people on his campaign are picking up the slack.

It's actually not that much of a problem that Biden is 500 years old and comatose, all he has to do is not be Trump

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

How are u posted:

I've been calling the poo poo out of Dems in a swing state for months and I'm not even working for the Biden campaign proper. People are loving tired of phone calls, they're being inundated with them.

This is absolutely true.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good news in Nevada:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1322332457241399296

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

So for states that allow ballots to be processed and counted prior to election day, do we know if they actually are indeed doing that processing and counting already?

I remember seeing that some key states like FL, AZ, NC, NV, and TX (among others) can start processing and counting before election day. But just because they CAN doesn't mean that they WILL, or even better already have...

I can't speak for all of those states but here in FL it's possible to track the status of your ballot via the county elections office website. You can see if the ballot has been mailed out, returned, accepted, or counted. I dropped mine off in person and watched the website as my ballot went through all of the steps in about two days.

You could get really :tinfoil: and worry that the county office is just putting bullshit up on their website while committing massive electoral fraud but that would require a lot of poll workers and volunteers to be turning a blind eye and not leaking to the press.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Log off. Seriously.

Either log off, or sign up to do some GOTV phonebanking for a swing state.

Seriously. If you are reading this thread and find yourself suffering from extreme anxiety then take some concrete steps to alleviate it by signing up to help make sure this election goes the way we want it to go.

Honestly I think it wouldn't be a half bad idea to mod-challenge folks who do a zero-content doompost with a mandatory phonebank or they can eat a week probation and sit out the election.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

USPS Postal Inspectors have their own Saturday morning kids show!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inspectors

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

It's actually not that much of a problem that Biden is 500 years old and comatose, all he has to do is not be Trump

This is actually something I have wondered about. What are the odds that if he wins, we end up with President Harris at some point simply due to his age. I mean, he's 77, the average life expectancy for men in the US is 78.5.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I really hope Biden manages the unlikely feat of pulling all the battlegrounds and landing that over 400 EV victory. Watching the Doomsayers squirm would be really satisfying after four years of hell.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Antillie posted:

This is actually something I have wondered about. What are the odds that if he wins, we end up with President Harris at some point simply due to his age. I mean, he's 77, the average life expectancy for men in the US is 78.5.

I see your point, but in this case you have to look at the average life expectancy at age 77, not life expectancy at birth.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

I see your point, but in this case you have to look at the average life expectancy at age 77, not life expectancy at birth.

Ah, good point. A quick google and, 10 years. Clearly I am overthinking things and worrying for no reason.

Edit: I think this thread may be both the cause of, and cure for, my election anxiety issues.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 31, 2020

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1322311345619013632

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also, that is average life expectancy, not “getting the best health care in the world” life expectancy.

The last three presidents to have died all passed away in their 90s, and the oldest living president, Carter, is in his mid-90s.

Here’s hoping we don’t have to deal with Trump for another two decades.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 31, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

An Arf Jason post in the wild.

Also I don't think its "arzying" when you want the candidate to lose.

:eng101: actually, it is also that!

SAclopedia posted:

Arzy is a D&D poster who supported Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election and became notorious for completely freaking out over any news that could be somehow perceived as negative for Obama, no matter how trivial. Single-point drops in the polls and frivolous news stories were heralded by him as the end of Obama's campaign and impending victory for McCain. Obviously, his fears turned out to be vastly overblown.

Interestingly enough, Arzy had a complete political turnaround between 2008 and 2012 and ended up a strong supporter of Mitt Romney, but during the run-up to the election he continued the same behavior towards Obama as he displayed in 2008. Again even the slightest bit of negative news for Obama would result in Arzy shouting about Obama's impending loss to the high heavens, but since this time he perceived it as helping his chosen candidate, he added a liberal dose of smugness to his pronouncements.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pretty good stat:

https://twitter.com/ronbrownstein/status/1322341241976102912?s=21

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, that is average life expectancy, not “getting the best health care in the world” life expectancy.

The last three presidents to have died all passed away in their 90s, and the oldest living president, Carter, is in his mid-90s.

Here’s hoping we don’t have to deal with Trump for another two decades.

Doesn't he really like fast food?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
538 also recently covered that unusually for any candidate, Joe Biden's favorable ratings have continued to go up the entire campaign.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dang.

That's nuts.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Here is a cool take for this thread that seems to eat up bad news like it's sweet ambrosia and shrug off good news like its soggy lettuce.

Famously cautious pollster and Thread Hero Nate Silver now has Biden at a higher chance of winning Texas than Trump of winning Florida.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whoa that's nuts.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Speaking of 2015-16, does anyone remember how D&D was feeling around this time in 2016? I know there were plenty of people outside the forums sounding alarm bells, but I honestly don't even remember what it was like on the forums.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Speaking of 2015-16, does anyone remember how D&D was feeling around this time in 2016? I know there were plenty of people outside the forums sounding alarm bells, but I honestly don't even remember what it was like on the forums.

I'd memory serves the Hillary toxx thread was confident, but still full of dread. Didn't a ton of people get banned from that?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

People were mocking "Shook Nate" for expressing concern that Hillary didn't have it in the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Overconfident. I wasn't a Clinton fan (although I held my nose and voted for her) and even I was 100% certain she'd win.

The fact that people are anxious is not the worst thing, even if Biden's got a better chance of winning than Hilldawg and will probably walk away with this thing.