Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Reclines Obesily posted:

same thing happened when moona joined the JP ark server, she got harassed by some epic gamers on twitter that demanded she leave

honestly fight fire with fire on this one, see these people and harrass them relentlessly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

trucutru posted:

Some of the most experienced girls (specially from the original generation) do interact with men, although it's usually Tamaki (who is fine because the person behind is a woman). Baby steps.

Give it some time (it may take a while) and this poo poo should solve itself. Once well-established and experienced they should be able to bend the idol "rules" a bit.
Based off the fanbases of Jinnytty and Pokimane, two of the biggest women on Twitch I don't have much faith. They've harassed men they've interacted with so hard they've either quit streaming or swore off interacting with women on the platform again altogether.

V-Tubers are hitting that toxic K-Pop/Idol fanbase too where even the rumors of having a boyfriend is enough for a girl to get death threats

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kind of think that as long as Hololive tries to present itself as sincerely idol-adjacent the issue is going to stick around

Now granted, their entire stance as an operation could change, but they'd have to be willing to risk the loss of the really obsessive possessive types. And the longer it goes on, the more entrenched it becomes (which is why the best way to inoculate your channel against it is to collabo with guys early and often, before people start making Love Live-rear end assumptions about your content)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

Based off the fanbases of Jinnytty and Pokimane, two of the biggest women on Twitch I don't have much faith. They've harassed men they've interacted with so hard they've either quit streaming or swore off interacting with women on the platform again altogether.

V-Tubers are hitting that toxic K-Pop/Idol fanbase too where even the rumors of having a boyfriend is enough for a girl to get death threats

Also, it only takes a tiny, vocal minority to cause huge problems on a platform like twitter, if .01% of Kiara's subscribers decided to take offense over this incredibly minor thing that's still a few hundred angry morons shrieking at you on twitter overnight and that is enough to make a lot of people just say "gently caress this, I'm out". I'm not really sure what the solution is since there will always be morons getting angry over petty things that most people don't care about. :sigh:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Matsuri and fubuki collab with guys. Fubuki especially doesn't care, to the point of mocking those anti's during the towa incident.

She announced she had a boyfriend only to fake out and reveal it was a cat instead when she baited enough dislikes.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

https://twitter.com/moonahoshinova/status/1322441214566703104?s=21

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

God Dog going to hit 1 mil shortly

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Well I'm glad that Huke is still participating in the chat during her stream, he seemed to find it funny (considering his line of work I'm pretty sure he's keenly aware of the types of fans that can arise from it all). I really like the fact that the EN group has "supporting characters" along with the girls, it really adds some depth to the EN side of things and makes it feel less lonely. I'm not that keyed into the JP girl's chat for obvious reasons, but do any of them have "side characters" as part of their gimmick?

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Lyer posted:

Well I'm glad that Huke is still participating in the chat during her stream, he seemed to find it funny (considering his line of work I'm pretty sure he's keenly aware of the types of fans that can arise from it all). I really like the fact that the EN group has "supporting characters" along with the girls, it really adds some depth to the EN side of things and makes it feel less "lonely". I'm not that keyed into the JP girl's chat for obvious reasons, but do any of them have "side characters" as part of their gimmick?

Well A-chan started as Sora's tech support and Suisei's got her sister Anemachi who shows up pretty often. Subaru also collabs pretty often with Ui-mama but she's a vtuber in her own right so that's a bit murky

Can't remember anyone else showing up that often. In general when the JP girls mention their managers it's usually just an offhand comment usually about them reigning them in a little bit

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
A-chan is the OG

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

do pekora's poor baffled parents count

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

OnimaruXLR posted:

I kind of think that as long as Hololive tries to present itself as sincerely idol-adjacent the issue is going to stick around

Now granted, their entire stance as an operation could change, but they'd have to be willing to risk the loss of the really obsessive possessive types. And the longer it goes on, the more entrenched it becomes (which is why the best way to inoculate your channel against it is to collabo with guys early and often, before people start making Love Live-rear end assumptions about your content)

It's not necessarily that they're worried about losing the really obsessive possessive types as viewers/fans, it's that the really obsessive possessive types can very easily generate enormously disproportional levels of harassment when the streaming personality does something that doesn't fit their warped ideas of what's "proper". It's a nasty high wire act because the only way to deal with it is for the streamer to be willing to power through a bunch of fuckheads harassing them online(and possibly in real life if they get doxxed successfully) constantly, which not everyone has the courage or emotional/mental fortitude to handle(completely understandably, of course, because that poo poo is both extremely scary and incredibly draining to deal with).

You're right in that the longer it goes on, the more likely it is to calcify. Fubuki and Matsuri collab fairly regularly with men and are both very blase and give-no-fucks about internet harassment, which means that the type of fan who puts their vtuber favorite on a pure angel pedestal is less likely to be part of their fanbase in the first place.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Patware posted:

do you think they ever wonder what their daughter's on about when she shouts pekora baby?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Squiddycat posted:

do you think they ever wonder what their daughter's on about when she shouts pekora baby?

soundproofed room, the ultimate tech

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Squiddycat posted:

her room got soundproofed by her parents long before she became any kind of vtuber, according to her in a chat stream lmao

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Patware posted:

As if they would be allowed in her room!

Anyways, unless your whole deal is to cultivate parasocial relationships (I'm looking at you Rushia!) the faster the girls start interacting with dudes the better.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 31, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYu3PvRPZR8

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020

Well, she did set out to make a love hotel with Pekora.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Squiddycat posted:

You reminded me of this video. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYxSiOufwg8

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Kanos posted:

You're right in that the longer it goes on, the more likely it is to calcify. Fubuki and Matsuri collab fairly regularly with men and are both very blase and give-no-fucks about internet harassment, which means that the type of fan who puts their vtuber favorite on a pure angel pedestal is less likely to be part of their fanbase in the first place.

related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgh_Y2errzI

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPruKYr0E1c

lmao holy poo poo when she looks over at moona

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's weird that dudes got mad about huke. Wasn't it the overseas fanbase that rallied behind Towa?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
fwiw huke seems to have taken it with good enough humor, enough to comment "RIP huke" while Kiara was unmaking his room.

From how she talked about it, it seems it didn't actually reach the point of being A Problem, but Kiara decided to nip it in the bud right then and there. Probably not the decision this thread would prefer, but perhaps better overall? Hard to tell.
Given her previous work as an idol and her troubles therein, she's clearly keenly aware of how lovely the community can get and probably doesn't want to get close to that ever again.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Even more related:
Fubuki and Ouga using a Hitachi Magic Wand Massager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsRvo6YsHL0

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

It's weird that dudes got mad about huke. Wasn't it the overseas fanbase that rallied behind Towa?

Despite what people like to pretend being a creeper transcends ethnicity.

Misanthropic Void
Oct 9, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Does anyone know if there are any plugins to help unfuck youtube chat? I'm looking for things like being able to isolate chats from verified channels / the OP easily or other stuff of that nature.

You can also use this one for some quick and handy filters:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chat-selector-for-youtube/elgbmlibcejchmmfkngbdpdmejbajkll?hl=de

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Even more related:
Fubuki and Ouga using a Hitachi Magic Wand Massager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsRvo6YsHL0

lmao ive been missing out these are hilarious

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
when i was much younger watching minecaft youtube series like yogscast etc, the mere hint of creative mode would make people lose their loving minds

so i thought that might have been the problem. however, the manager cheated the locations of biomes for gura and no one cares soooooo its probably cause huke is a dude

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Reclines Obesily posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPruKYr0E1c

lmao holy poo poo when she looks over at moona

The whole stream is gold. First lightning hits her bunny house, which causes Peko to find a forgotten wither skel head so she decides to summon the wither. After collecting the materials she runs into Moona so they tag team it, finishing at 1 health with Moona dead. Then they build the beacon below the pekodam, move the lovely 1-star hotel to make room for Miko's Zaku and Moona just starts building something much nicer than Peko could ever do, so she instead goes do the gopher jobs. When she returns a Creeper blows next to Moona and Peko almost dies laughing (and actually does a more natural laugh) before finishing the day.

And all of that because lighting hit her house.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Kyte posted:

fwiw huke seems to have taken it with good enough humor, enough to comment "RIP huke" while Kiara was unmaking his room.

From how she talked about it, it seems it didn't actually reach the point of being A Problem, but Kiara decided to nip it in the bud right then and there. Probably not the decision this thread would prefer, but perhaps better overall? Hard to tell.
Given her previous work as an idol and her troubles therein, she's clearly keenly aware of how lovely the community can get and probably doesn't want to get close to that ever again.

to be honest, given that she'd even gone so far as to let him in, I kind of think she (or maybe someone in management? but it strikes me as her) is putting out the feelers to find how much she can get away with. given huke seems to be being such a good sport about it i wonder if he went in thinking this was one of the likely outcomes. and given the past life stuff behind your spoilers: i kind of wonder if she was trying to see how fast the warning signs would appear rather than whether they would appear. she knows first hand much lesser things than this will set a certain type off

i wouldn't be surprised if she wants to do what fubuki does but just doesn't have the raw star power or untouchability to laugh off dumb nerds getting mad about her breaking the rules

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 31, 2020

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Reclines Obesily posted:

when i was much younger watching minecaft youtube series like yogscast etc, the mere hint of creative mode would make people lose their loving minds

so i thought that might have been the problem. however, the manager cheated the locations of biomes for gura and no one cares soooooo its probably cause huke is a dude

extra rare biomes are a bit different from infinite crossbow

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they were also asking chat about that stuff like "are you guys cool if we should ask our managers etc"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eej posted:

The timing of Towa's situation meant that a lot of her western followers became aware of her and became fans after(or even because of) the "male voice" drama. This meant that western fans who started watching her regularly were already basically self-selected for "being okay with a vtuber having interactions with members of another gender outside of chat".

Plus, as stated above, creepy assholes who latch on to parasocial relationships and react extremely negatively when their idea of the relationship is impugned on exist in all countries and across all ethnicities. The west might not have idol culture psychopaths since we don't really have idols in the same sense that Japan does, but you can see the exact same behavior among people going insane for camgirls.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For those that were wanting it, Kiara's crane game stream is back up. https://youtu.be/Ay8hHuxdWwk

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the fact that huke was straight up cheating poo poo in was a case of turning too many levers at once. to be labcoat about it, the data's useless, we can't take it as a real sign of how (a statistically significant amount of) people might react to male streamers getting in range of holoen, because there were too many different things that could've gotten people rowdy. like the other thing to factor in is that huke has been super active in kiara's chat and gets a lot of her attention and nobody seems to care about that, so

it's all too up in the air

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Nui's finally going 3D and it's going to be extremely dangerous.

E:

Also while I can't say I knew her very well, today was Kasumi Izumo's final day as a Vtuber and she's expressing her thanks to everyone who has supported her along the way.

https://twitter.com/ikasumi_zzz/status/1322503253230149639

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 31, 2020

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
its a shame we’ll never know now, moona for example did far “worse” and is now the minecraft darling

Onean posted:

For those that were wanting it, Kiara's crane game stream is back up. https://youtu.be/Ay8hHuxdWwk
i’ve always been told that japanese crane games were fairer than the ones we have in Aus

i dunno if thats true after watching this

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Patware posted:

the fact that huke was straight up cheating poo poo in was a case of turning too many levers at once. to be labcoat about it, the data's useless, we can't take it as a real sign of how (a statistically significant amount of) people might react to male streamers getting in range of holoen, because there were too many different things that could've gotten people rowdy. like the other thing to factor in is that huke has been super active in kiara's chat and gets a lot of her attention and nobody seems to care about that, so

it's all too up in the air

Nobody seemed to care about kokorobeats being fairly active in Moris content, and even showing up for the offcollab.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
from the reddit

quote:

This isn't the first time hardcore gamers have been triggered in Hololive. Moona a few months ago started playing ARK with cheat commands enabled to help build stuff faster, and there were some very vocal people complaining that her doing so was "cheapening" the efforts of the other girls playing normally (except, you know, the Hololive ARK server was already cheating with faster taming times and such) so eventually Moona had to delete her character and apologize.

It's happened on the JP side as well. Aqua months ago played ARK for the first time as well, and she did so with preparation, i.e. reading guides and such to find out the best places to build and whatnot. JP gamers got triggered that she wasn't playing blind like the other girls and complained so much that Aqua has never touched ARK ever again after that.

hoo boy hadnt heard that last one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wow, seriously? I didn't hear about either, because I mostly avoid Ark streams, even with hololive. That's seriously about as pathetic as the antis. :cripes: