Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I would rather die then go back to junior high. I was a loving basketcase and barely made it through without killing myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So people keep mentioning lead brains and I thought maybe that's an exaggeration. But I just remembered this time a few years ago when I was looking at records in a flea market and a boomer asked me if I saw Rush on their 1982 tour.

I'm 34 years old.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CPL593H posted:

So people keep mentioning lead brains and I thought maybe that's an exaggeration. But I just remembered this time a few years ago when I was looking at records in a flea market and a boomer asked me if I saw Rush on their 1982 tour.

I'm 34 years old.

The lead brain problem is very real. Also boomers are the first generation where people realized there was such a thing as a "cycle of violence" and that ending it would be a good thing. Boomers are so bad that psychologists had to develop methods to fix people affected by them, and it would take generations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Picnic Princess posted:

I would rather die then go back to junior high. I was a loving basketcase and barely made it through without killing myself.

You must have gone to the same junior high that I did.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LifeSunDeath posted:

The lead brain problem is very real. Also boomers are the first generation where people realized there was such a thing as a "cycle of violence" and that ending it would be a good thing. Boomers are so bad that psychologists had to develop methods to fix people affected by them, and it would take generations.

I'm still just baffled, especially since I definitely don't look older than I am. I don't tell boomers I like records anymore because it always ends with me politely nodding and wanting to float out of my body when they start going on about how great Journey was in concert back in 1980-something.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Get ready guys, we're in the last days of the election. Peak boomer ahead.

Has anyone else seen all these reports that it's not boomers and the elderly who won't wear masks, but the drat millenimums who won't! Because at least what I've seen, the anti-mask seems to run older.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Cowslips Warren posted:

Has anyone else seen all these reports that it's not boomers and the elderly who won't wear masks, but the drat millenimums who won't! Because at least what I've seen, the anti-mask seems to run older.

Tbh millennial age group getting together in groups has actually been a big issue here, but I'm sure it's different all over.

Edit: I'm not being pro-boomer, just anti-everyone

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Iron Crowned posted:

That's about where it would end for me, I would love to somehow go back to a time where my biggest responsibility was how to trick my parents into thinking I had done my homework.

Fuckin right. My last couple years of highschool I had all pretty easy classes. My biggest concerns were if the bar around the corner tried to actually ask us for ID. THey did once, and my friend argued the guy in to submission, and we basically put the one waitresses kids through college via tips, so that wasn't much of an issue. Most of my teachers were a year or two away from retirement too so they gave very few fucks.
Also, the weed was good enough. gently caress I miss the late 90s.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 31, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Eh, a lot of people learn exactly what they need to do their jobs, and no more. I work with lifetime computer-touchers in their 30s, I’m talking actual software developers, who don’t all understand fairly basic things about their computers or any software they don’t use on a daily basis for their jobs.

Lead brains could be a factor, but it’s probably not the primary cause.

Concierge Googling is a pretty hilarious concept. Are there any startups in that space? Maybe it’s a niche waiting to be filled.

Edit: Just to be clear, not all the computer-touchers I work with are like that. It is a non-zero percentage, though.

I'm completely blanking on what it was called, but yes there was a service that you could text that would do concierge information gathering for you

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!

Buff Hardback posted:

I'm completely blanking on what it was called, but yes there was a service that you could text that would do concierge information gathering for you

The main one was ChaCha I think.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The North Tower posted:

We both had a professor in college who hosed us all up by making us do a 2 pager, since there isn’t room for fluff and SAT essay-level ‘furthermore...’. But agreed. Get the point across and you’re good IMO, but a 5 page and a 1 page (or to be more extreme, a 30 page senior thesis vs a 5 page summary) are different types of papers, so it matters to some extent. The good teachers would accept an excellent 4/5 page vs a padded 5/5 with 2 pages of content as a better work and give you a good grade. My 8th grade social studies teacher sucked rear end and we all learned to bullshit, which is also a skill, but she was a terrible teacher at the end of the day.

From pages back, but I had a very Boomer professor give us very strict guidelines for an end of semester project: 40 page minimum length, table of contents formatted a certain way, special margin sizes, pages before your first segment (cover page, table of contents, etc) had to be numbered with Roman numerals while the actual report had to be numbered normally. There were like four or five other formatting requirements I've since forgotten.

A few years later, the T.A.s for a different class I took told me the professor and his T.A.s just flip through the reports looking at the formatting, including using a ruler to measure the page margins, and just assign the grades based on that. I had always wondered how they graded 400-ish papers handed in during finals week and it just blew my loving mind how performative it had all been.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Batterypowered7 posted:

From pages back, but I had a very Boomer professor give us very strict guidelines for an end of semester project: 40 page minimum length, table of contents formatted a certain way, special margin sizes, pages before your first segment (cover page, table of contents, etc) had to be numbered with Roman numerals while the actual report had to be numbered normally. There were like four or five other formatting requirements I've since forgotten.

A few years later, the T.A.s for a different class I took told me the professor and his T.A.s just flip through the reports looking at the formatting, including using a ruler to measure the page margins, and just assign the grades based on that. I had always wondered how they graded 400-ish papers handed in during finals week and it just blew my loving mind how performative it had all been.

It always felt like my Professors never actually read my papers, because there'd be like one line where they'd say "nice, well done," throughout the whole body of the paper, while they would tear apart each little punctuation mark in the bibliography.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Honestly highschool's last two years was pretty good. I stopped giving a poo poo, so I became fairly popular because it turns out the only key to social success is to stop being filled with anxiety and just, like, say gently caress it. College on the horizon was a promise of an amazing golden future, I got to do fun classes in my last years, I was a big fish in a small pond. It was a deeply artificial happiness, because I didn't know how bad my mental health was about to get, how college was just highschool 2.0 but you spend the rest of your life paying it off, such-and-forth. It was a very FAKE sort of optimistic contentment I wouldn't want to return to but I don't deny myself it.

Last ten+ years have been a hecking slog though and yeah sometimes I wish my biggest obstacle in life was figuring out how this math thing worked rather than "can i find a job during a plague that will support me also maybe I might lose all my rights in a christian theocratic coup and I've accumulated a lot of trauma over the years that just sorta adds up and doesn't go away" but like SO YOU KNOW I can empathize with anyone who looks back favorably on highschool. I was a dumb stupid little poo poo but man I could get away with it because there were no real stakes. Now everything has obscenely massive permanent stakes.

Who doesn't start a video game over and over sometimes because the early part is the fun part. Eventually there's so much going on you're like, man I can't keep track of this poo poo.

Boomers be like that but also lead, so, I can't carry the metaphor out but man imagine your ability to think just shutting down too, gently caress. Let's go to the moon, tbh. Space Force.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

boomers like creating individual fiefdoms of personal power within labyrinthian corporate beaurocracies and then asking young people why they don't just walk into the ceo's office and demand a job

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Shugojin posted:

boomers like creating individual fiefdoms of personal power within labyrinthian corporate beaurocracies and then asking young people why they don't just walk into the ceo's office and demand a job

god everything about this makes me just so irrationally angry

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Shuu posted:

The main one was ChaCha I think.

That wasn't the specific one I was thinking of, it had some dumb hipster name for their searchers, but yes it definitely exists.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Cowslips Warren posted:

my mom loudly start screaming qanon talking points and i told her if she says one more qanon thing im going no contact and to test me she said she didnt vote for biden and never will. i told her close enough.

my family is now texting me saying she said it was facebook stuff not qanon stuff and qanon isnt on facebook anymore. so i might need to block my siblings for awhile until their family decorum dies down.

also in rural nc it skews to everyone not wearing a mask. but i would say the majority are boomers. two things that you will never seen worn together. vietnam era vet + a mask.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Buff Hardback posted:

That wasn't the specific one I was thinking of, it had some dumb hipster name for their searchers, but yes it definitely exists.

Google had a proprietary team for poo poo like that, Google Information Squad or something similar.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I liked my senior year of high school. Most important classes were done and being on the newspaper staff meant late nights meeting deadlines with friends and 3 hour lunches when we were supposed to be out selling ads but instead just ate pizza. Just enough adult responsibility, but still no real consequences.

The rest of high school sucked rear end though. You’d think walking home from school and hearing a redneck lean out of his truck and yell “NEEEEEEERD” only happened in movies. But, you’d be wrong.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

FlocksOfMice posted:

...I've accumulated a lot of trauma over the years that just sorta adds up and doesn't go away...

This so much. The only thing that combats the trauma is drugs and alcohol, but that only works up to a certain point

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People talk about lead affecting boomer brains but being a heavy metal wouldn't it be pretty easy to see this in bloodwork? It's one of those things that accumulates over a person's life so I would figure it would be more evident.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Panfilo posted:

People talk about lead affecting boomer brains but being a heavy metal wouldn't it be pretty easy to see this in bloodwork? It's one of those things that accumulates over a person's life so I would figure it would be more evident.

Yes, but you would have to be specifically looking for it. If you are just doing random toxicology stuff you don't test for lead unless there's a reason to expect it would be a factor.

JnnyThndrs posted:

You must have gone to the same junior high that I did.

Every junior high is the exact same.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Panfilo posted:

Probably depends on what you're looking for

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A small amount of lead at particular times in your development make all the difference.

The idea is that Boomers weren’t poisoned by lead, but that an abundance of it impacted their judgement and made more of them prone of violence when they were younger. Crime rates dropped around the time Boomers “aged out” of their prime criminal years.

They’re assholes now because they were always assholes. Lead has nothing to do with that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Just got an email from our local aquarium club; due to covid we haven't had any meetings since....February or March. Our yearly expo was canceled. But don't worry, our Xmas party is on! In fact, we will be having it about 40 miles from town, in a large rented church hall, but everyone has to wear masks and we have to bring store bought food instead of the usual pot luck.

I am in charge of the raffle tickets every year. And this is the first year I will not be going. Half of our club is retired and boomer age, and I just don't think getting 30 some people who live in different cities to a party is a good idea.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Outpost22 posted:

This so much. The only thing that combats the trauma is drugs and alcohol, but that only works up to a certain point

Not to go e/n but I always thought immortality would be awesome but at this point if I can be honest it isn't like memories get further away with time so could you IMAGINE being immortal and just accumulating more and more horrible psychological damage as time goes on and after 300 years you can't even FUNCTION?

Basically Boomers are probably not not susceptible to this either and their coping mechanism is to project it outwards and see their flaws as the result of other people not doing things correctly and I would kill for the lack of self awareness necessary to think everything wrong with me was just everyone else being incredibly flawed holy poo poo what a superpower

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

lemme go find something directly persuant to the boomertimes

e: here we go

https://ptfceh.niehs.nih.gov/featur...sidents_508.pdf

pertinent figure is fig 2, here:

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 1, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
obvious lead poisoning symptoms begin at 25 ug/dl (no dosage is actually safe) and are guaranteed at 75 ug/dl about. brain damage is permanent and, among other things, leads to the lead poisoned turning into little shits

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 1, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FlocksOfMice posted:

Not to go e/n but I always thought immortality would be awesome but at this point if I can be honest it isn't like memories get further away with time so could you IMAGINE being immortal and just accumulating more and more horrible psychological damage as time goes on and after 300 years you can't even FUNCTION?

This is what happened to the Nonmen in R Scott Bakkers Prince of Nothing series, which were his version of Elves.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FlocksOfMice posted:

Lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Outpost22 posted:

Therapy can help.

One thing that has improved generationally is it is a lot more common for younger generations to seek counseling than it was for Boomers. And, well, in some cases, because of Boomers.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

That Poul Anderson guy was way off

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

This is what happened to the Nonmen in R Scott Bakkers Prince of Nothing series, which were his version of Elves.

I thought it was a combination of the genocide of their mansions by the humans and the interference of the alien entities.

I should find out if he ever finished the aspect emperor series.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
My mother is gradually losing her mind in her 60s and becoming a collosal pain in the dick.

My personal theory is that between me moving 8000km away a decade ago and the pandemic she has been told “no, you cant do that” more times in the last 6 months than her entire life up until now and it has driven her insane.

Three weeks ago she asked if I wanted to go to Vienna with her, and last week she told me she’s going to Barbados for a few months in January and I’m welcome to join her if I need a break (I work intensely and am under a strict pandemic lockdown)

Is this disconnect between actions and observed reality common or just a consequence of her narcissism?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

mind the walrus posted:

This but without the good times for me.

I'd kill to go back knowing what I know now so I could avoid a lot of mistakes, but then I think about how I wouldn't know any of the excellent people I do today and would be surrounded by the same abusive Boomers, sandpaper Gen-Xers, and venomous Millennials and realize it'd still be fighting uphill just to break even. Sure some easy investment money would help, but then you're in that weird time travel conundrum where you want to find the people you love, but you've changed the timeline so they're no longer the same people, and you probably can't bond with them the way you did before, so you're just double-lonely.

Oh gently caress this exact train of thought keeps me awake at night

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mind the walrus posted:

This but without the good times for me.

I'd kill to go back knowing what I know now so I could avoid a lot of mistakes, but then I think about how I wouldn't know any of the excellent people I do today and would be surrounded by the same abusive Boomers, sandpaper Gen-Xers, and venomous Millennials and realize it'd still be fighting uphill just to break even. Sure some easy investment money would help, but then you're in that weird time travel conundrum where you want to find the people you love, but you've changed the timeline so they're no longer the same people, and you probably can't bond with them the way you did before, so you're just double-lonely.

Everything that has happened up until now has made you who you are today. Everything you do from now will make you who you are tomorrow.

Sure there are things I’d like to change about my past, but also I’m happy with where and who I am today and wouldn’t want to change that, so all I can do is learn from my past mistakes and be better tomorrow.

Star Trek TNG had a really good episode about this topic.
S6E15 if you want to watch it on Netflix or whatever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapestry_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Outpost22 posted:

You can process trauma memories to reduce their hold on you, certain therapists specialize in it. See if you can find a therapist that does EMDR near you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
emdr has rcts and proper reviews and poo poo and and a moderate amount of evidence to say it works but if you tell a rando what it actually is you will kinda sound like a crazy person

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I just worked a show for an Australian Opera singer. The entire crowd was 55 and up and they were just awful. I started the afternoon running the door, and they simply dont listen.

"Please wait here and Ill have an usher seat you shortly," I said to everyone. More than half just stared at me blankly and continued walking. I had to repeat myself endlessly. Drunk teenagers are better at following directions.

Nearly everyone: "Can I have a seat right in front?"

No, you cant, because all the other geriatrics started lining up AN HOUR before doors for a matinee thats not even sold out. Because of Covid Ive got a total of 5 tables in the front row and they were seated first. They of course dont like this, and then argued with the ushers and kept asking about, "That table over there" Slowing down the entire process.

They treat service staff so rudely. The entitlement is just astounding. I was clearing a few cocktails off of a table and a man says, "youre going to take the plate too right?", in a very curt and condescending tone. I told him I was going to drop glassware at the bar and Id be back for the plates. I come back as promised and hes SCOWLING and pointing at his empty plate. So unecessarily rude.

Another guest had a hairline crack on the side of a glass (literally eyelash sized). Im unsurprised our entirely capable bartender missed it. They finished their drink, then called me over to point out the crack. Of course the guy is just frothing at the mouth about it. I quickly apologize and tell him ill have another drink out for him right away. "YEAH, ON THE HOUSE I HOPE!". The guy barks at me as Im literally apologizing and getting him another drink.

Why be so lovely? Youre at a concert, its something 90% of the world cant do at the moment, maybe show a drop of gratitude for the people working on a Sunday. There was not an ounce of gratitude in the room tonight. Whats worse is that we totally expect and brace ourselves for this behavior every time there is an act that attracts an older crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The_Continental posted:

Why be so lovely? Youre at a concert, its something 90% of the world cant do at the moment, maybe show a drop of gratitude for the people working on a Sunday. There was not an ounce of gratitude in the room tonight. Whats worse is that we totally expect and brace ourselves for this behavior every time there is an act that attracts an older crowd.

Boomers don't have the cognitive ability to understand things like this. I don't think they even understand there's pandemic.

They operate with a simple nervous system that instinctively reacts to stimulus.

All they can do is yell and vote conservative.