Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mulva posted:

Yeah, for the straight up thesis statement of Cap 2 to be the main bad guy flat out saying that he was convinced to join Hydra by Nick Fury and his actions is already pushing it pretty far for what completely inoffensive blockbusters usually go for. The entire film is constantly saying that the Nazis didn't secretly infiltrate and corrupt so much as they just stood around being Nazis and then everyone was cool with doing Nazi stuff so they took power. And it's like

*looks around outside*

fair cop movie, that's about right.

But then undermines that with the shootout at SHIELD HQ, where everyone knows whether they're a double nazi or just a regular paramilitary spy, and they know it instantly, in the time it takes to pull a gun.

Junkozeyne posted:

Not really. None of the characters, including Nick Fury, Maria Hill etc. question their methods or ideology in any way. They just see open fascists and punch them and then go back to doing exactly what they have been doing before. This gets even more funny with subsequent movies, Far from Home's drone program is not meaningfully different from the sniper carriers only now it's ok as long as the 'correct' people are in charge.

Somebody tried to tell me that Winter Soldier changed everything in the MCU, but went quiet when he remembered that Civil War opens with Cap doing the exact same poo poo he was doing in the opening of Winter Soldier, just with a couple of new action figures alongside him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

He's essentially Batman but believes that he's a champion of an ancient god named "Kohnshu". He's tough as balls, has loads of moon-themed gadgets and is exquisitely violent.

Actually, Moon Knight is great because he's so underrated due to his tumultuous back story that various creators can absolutely gently caress with him largely unrestrained by editorial, from Charlie Huston to Warren Ellis.

The retroactive bolting on of a continuous and harmonious back story onto the character is a disservice imo. He's like an awkward cross between EC comics and Daredevil. He's great.

e:

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's a showdown in one of the recent story arcs where he uses his specially made armor ( that helps him avoid damage by locking components into place so that they absorb the brunt of the force of an attack rather than his body) to prop up a collapsing building and then keeps fighting the supervillain in his underwear.

Also what everyone else said.

He's basically an example of a character that was underused and/or widely ridiculed for so long that writers could do whatever they wanted with him and ended up writing some fairly interesting, entertaining, compelling stuff that you couldn't get away with if the hero in question was Spider-man or even like...Luke Cage.

yeah this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apologies for derailing Star Wars chat, but...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sheraz...r/#18c5406e2518

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

But then undermines that with the shootout at SHIELD HQ, where everyone knows whether they're a double nazi or just a regular paramilitary spy, and they know it instantly, in the time it takes to pull a gun.

Somebody tried to tell me that Winter Soldier changed everything in the MCU, but went quiet when he remembered that Civil War opens with Cap doing the exact same poo poo he was doing in the opening of Winter Soldier, just with a couple of new action figures alongside him.

In a just world we would get a The Office style show, prequel and sequel, about the SHIELD office workers and how they knew all along that Larry was Hydra before the shoot-out, and how awkward it is to work with Larry afterwards.

Also, iirc Civil War opens with flashbacks and Zemo stuff, but I legit forgot what Cap does when he is first shown.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Grendels Dad posted:

In a just world we would get a The Office style show, prequel and sequel, about the SHIELD office workers and how they knew all along that Larry was Hydra before the shoot-out, and how awkward it is to work with Larry afterwards.

Also, iirc Civil War opens with flashbacks and Zemo stuff, but I legit forgot what Cap does when he is first shown.

He's stopping Crossbones from trading a WMD on foreign soil. It ends with Wanda failing to stop the explosion from hurting innocents.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, it's a completely inoffensive blockbuster. Of course it's wrapped up mostly pat and people don't have to think too hard. The fact it went to "The government is run by Nazis because we are Nazis, deep down." is already going wildly out of the normal comfort zone for poo poo like this. Even when Cap keeps doing the same things in Civil War, he doesn't trust the government again. He just does that poo poo with his friends, largely unregulated. Hence, you know, the call for regulation.

Like it's still completely safe corporate pap, but it didn't lick the boot as hard as some of these things usually do.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

He's stopping Crossbones from trading a WMD on foreign soil. It ends with Wanda failing to stop the explosion from hurting innocents.

:doh: right, thanks. Now I remember being angry at that scene for wasting Frank Grillo's beautiful hair.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

It was literally the opposite of the Martha scene in BvS. Cap heard Crossbones mention Bucky which distracted him and thus he was too slow to stop Crossbones from blowing up in a crowded building.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Grendels Dad posted:

:doh: right, thanks. Now I remember being angry at that scene for wasting Frank Grillo's beautiful hair.

Frank Grillo hanging out with Donnie Yen in Blade 2 in the "cool guys that a comic book movie utterly wasted" lounge.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The United States posted:

That's Captain America 2: Winter War.

Captain America 1 ends with Howard Stark retrieving the magical space cube and the revelation that Hydra has, in effect, won - their legacy of rapid technological advancement as a means of control and development of wonderwaffe based on the cube has continued apace through Howard Stark, and only Captain America can see this.

The end credits sequence is Captain America waking up in dystopian modern america and basically doing the ending from Planet of the Apes

I do wonder where Cap stood on the Soviet/Finnish War though

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Frank Grillo hanging out with Donnie Yen in Blade 2 in the "cool guys that a comic book movie utterly wasted" lounge.

Grillo wasn't in Blade 2, was he? Speaking of the blades, is trinity worth watching?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Grillo wasn't in Blade 2, was he? Speaking of the blades, is trinity worth watching?

Hahaha

no.

And MJ meant that they were wasted in their respective movies, I'm sure. They should form a team, something like the Waste Coast Avengers.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

2house2fly posted:

Or just no way, as in Infinity War

Infinity War is a film about a tech billionaire's paranoid fantasy about a foreign other destroying the world being entirely validated (Let's not forget that this previously almost lead him to destroy the world). Endgame is about that same man, after obtaining a literally unimaginable amount of power, finally destroying the foreign intruders, and becomes a Christ-like figure for bringing back the status quo.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

KVeezy3 posted:

Infinity War is a film about a tech billionaire's paranoid fantasy about a foreign other destroying the world being entirely validated (Let's not forget that this previously almost lead him to destroy the world). Endgame is about that same man, after obtaining a literally unimaginable amount of power, finally destroying the foreign intruders, and becomes a Christ-like figure for bringing back the status quo.

Priest of the Church of Stark

*holds up caviar* "This is my body which was awesome and broken for you short-sighted peons. Eat it in remembrance of me."

*holds up whiskey sour* "This is my blood which was spilled saving your asses. Drink it in remembrance."

*holds up a game controller* "This is my drone link which will call down murder robots to kill every last mother's child among you if you gently caress with my legacy even a little bit. Fear it in remembrance of me."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

I still love his admonishment to Cap that "we were supposed to build a suit of armor around the world!" Like, nobody stopped you? You built Ultron who you helped kill then you built Vision who you made your robot butler. Then you jailed half the super heroes and I'm not sure how that was supposed to help.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To be fair to Blade 2, Yen was only there, originally, as a fight choreographer (the movie had several) and, late in the process, they asked him if he wanted to appear in the movie.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does that factor in the attempts to draw parralels between Forest Whitaker's insurgents and Al'Queda? A looming threat that revolutions can too easily be lost in blood. The art direction changed between original filming and the reshoots for Forest Whitaker to make him more evocative of bin Laden.
A Bin Laden analogue who originally trained with and fought alongside the Republic

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Snowman_McK posted:

To be fair to Blade 2, Yen was only there, originally, as a fight choreographer (the movie had several) and, late in the process, they asked him if he wanted to appear in the movie.

I didn't know that, and honestly, it does help.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The United States posted:

A Bin Laden analogue who originally trained with and fought alongside the Republic

He doesn't map perfectly onto bin Laden, but let's recall that the CIA gave barely covert support (including Stinger missiles) to Afghan rebels fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan - and then the US ended up fighting some of those same rebels later. And they're still over there fighting even now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is that he basically ends up the rebels' own Darth Vader, complete with being a cyborg reliant on a breathing apparatus. (and the same sound effect)

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Everyone posted:

Priest of the Church of Stark

*holds up caviar* "This is my body which was awesome and broken for you short-sighted peons. Eat it in remembrance of me."

*holds up whiskey sour* "This is my blood which was spilled saving your asses. Drink it in remembrance."

*holds up a game controller* "This is my drone link which will call down murder robots to kill every last mother's child among you if you gently caress with my legacy even a little bit. Fear it in remembrance of me."

Guy A. Person posted:

I still love his admonishment to Cap that "we were supposed to build a suit of armor around the world!" Like, nobody stopped you? You built Ultron who you helped kill then you built Vision who you made your robot butler. Then you jailed half the super heroes and I'm not sure how that was supposed to help.

Just lol at how at how it almost seems like satire; they even have Thanos weirdly pontificate about how he hopes Iron Man will be properly worshiped.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Almost like it's a blockbuster that's trying not to offend anyone's sensibilities so that they keep going to see the films regardless of their political affiliation.

It is precisely how a film fails in its intent 'to not offend anyone's sensibilities' that is very revealing of its ideology (Since neutrality is impossible when operating in the symbolic order).

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I knew that they'd never do it, but I was really hoping Iron Man would go out the way he does in the Infinity Gauntlet comic: getting his head unceremoniously ripped off of his body.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Flying Zamboni posted:

I knew that they'd never do it, but I was really hoping Iron Man would go out the way he does in the Infinity Gauntlet comic: getting his head unceremoniously ripped off of his body.

I was annoyed nobody got cubed

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Unmature posted:

Yeah, there were a lot of missed opportunities. You're undoing everything with a magic wish in the next movie, go crazy!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think if they went too wild wrecking characters before the end, the jig would have been up that they were going to push the reset button. Even though lots of people knew there was a Part II coming, and that of course Spider-Man wouldn't stay dead if he had a sequel coming out next year, treating the deaths like they were serious and actually mattered was a necessary part of the illusion before the final twist.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Unmature posted:

Draxx did

...sorta

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy A. Person posted:

Outside of the MCU (but not outside Marvel) the sentinel robots from X-man also have a design highly suggestive of an Ironman suit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

Outside of the MCU (but not outside Marvel) the sentinel robots from X-man also have a design highly suggestive of an Ironman suit.

Reminded that Red Volcano in Young Justice was basically a red Iron Man suit, not sure how they got away with that. (They also drew Black Spider as evil Spider-man, complete with one of his voice actors)

Oh, speaking of Sentinel:

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1322367067798990848

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wassup SKWAD??

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

:nice:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Putting aside everything else, it is truly weird how Warner Bros/DCEU/whatever has completely contorted itself to try and walk back past decisions.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Find it a little difficult to believe Ayer would still be spending so much time grousing on twitter if he'd been given the green light.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Putting aside everything else, it is truly weird how Warner Bros/DCEU/whatever has completely contorted itself to try and walk back past decisions.

I assume that most of the people who made those decisions got axed/quit/failed upward.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Everyone posted:

He doesn't map perfectly onto bin Laden, but let's recall that the CIA gave barely covert support (including Stinger missiles) to Afghan rebels fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan - and then the US ended up fighting some of those same rebels later. And they're still over there fighting even now.
This thread is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Here's some other articles from that site:

Zack Snyder And HBO Max Are Developing A Justice League 2

Michael Keaton Has Signed On To Star As Bruce Wayne In An HBO Max Batman Beyond Series

Is YouTube Preventing People From Finding The (QAnon-Beloved) Out Of Shadows Documentary?

I don't think they're legitimate.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1323005298974486529

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I’m absolutely sure that during the editing of bvs whenever Snyder had a creative block he would insert footage of Affleck pulling a face.
He never repeats an expression and they all are memeable as hell.

I know this is JL but my point stands.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He knows that Batman is extremely memetic. BTAS has a ton of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Yay, more Joker and Harley Quinn, can't get enough of those two!