Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I say this as both a food service worker and as a minecraft player, you're way off base here. Mojang specifically make sure that iron farms work in some form after every update because the game doesn't function without them. The basis of the gameplay loop is building a machine to give you more resources to build a bigger machine, and along the way you build cool but not functional stuff alongside your monstrosities.
That wasn't a slight to retail or food service employees, of which I've been both. My experience was that a non-trivial amount of my day was standing behind a counter waiting to do something, and it still took effort to do that. Just like in Minecraft, that waiting serves a function even if some people think it's pointless.

Patware posted:

The JP server didn't get there magically. Like the people getting piss mad about things are lovely babies but there is a legitimate and not-insane desire to see the EN branch work toward that same eventuality, and see the world grow as more generations join up.

The message of "cheating things in damages the journey" is an extremely correct one, it's just being babies to get that message heard that sucks rear end.

Yeah, this is ultimately my point. Minecraft is about building up a civilization more or less, and skipping to the end game and building a beautiful city with infinite resources you consoled into existence is not nearly as good content for viewers as building your first farm, figuring out how it works, and then rinsing and repeating with increasing complexity.

It's the same reason everyone tells chat to not backseat game. It's not about "winning" the game, it's about the journey.

e: There's an iron golem grinder on Snails server and I'm not totally sure how it works but it does use water to push golems into a lava pit and then funnels carry the iron away. It's pretty wild how effective it is.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Space Flower posted:

you need a setup that guarantees that iron golems will only spawn in one place when your caged-in villagers summon them. then the golem dies to, was it suffocation or lava? either way its autonomous

moona-tour-guide stream said it was lava

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Lyer posted:

Conversely, I'm not going to lie and saw that the Gen 5 girls' minecraft streams are super exciting, if anything they'd probably benefit more (as in being more entertaining) from playing on a fresh server trying to figure their way like the EN girls.

I think it'd be cool if like, there was a (not strenuously enforced) condition that a generation has to get an Ender Dragon kill, maybe in a different location on the same server, before coming and joining the main drag. But then I'm not totally sure how long it would take to get to that point from the jump in Vanilla since I pretty much only play extremely modded minecraft where the Ender Dragon usually becomes a mid-game step

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Patware posted:

I think it'd be cool if like, there was a (not strenuously enforced) condition that a generation has to get an Ender Dragon kill, maybe in a different location on the same server, before coming and joining the main drag. But then I'm not totally sure how long it would take to get to that point from the jump in Vanilla since I pretty much only play extremely modded minecraft where the Ender Dragon usually becomes a mid-game step

This would actually be a super cool idea if the reward for clearing it was basically getting linked to the main JP server. Could be a good "coming of age" type of thing for each group:

Gen debuts with the 1 month ban -> have streams throughout the first few weeks to get ready -> streams of clearing the dragon -> JP server welcoming party/collab.

After the server gets linked, the initial one could be used as a resource server or for their "private" homes or something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Holly the cow, its like freaking impossible to join these stream games :( I can't figure out how other people do it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's a combination of latency, typing speed, and luck.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Holly the cow, its like freaking impossible to join these stream games :( I can't figure out how other people do it.

bots

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

uh thanks for the weird sekiro quote i guess?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Do they play on Java or Bedrock?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

anyway there is middle ground between 'i am literally saying you are worthless for cheating' and 'cheating is the only way to play' and that's watching the server progress in interesting ways since you would probably get bored of a minecraft server extremely fast if you just did everything in creative mode!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

people watched them tunnel to gura's house for 2 hours or whatever and they could've just, you know, made a tunnel by holding down left click in creative mode but they chose not to

they also could've just had everyone teleport to the location :shrug:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i forget if it was mentioned here or elsewhere but apparently a lot of streamers hide the last letter of the (among us) code to put things closer to chance than a pure quickdraw.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Patware posted:

The JP server didn't get there magically. Like the people getting piss mad about things are lovely babies but there is a legitimate and not-insane desire to see the EN branch work toward that same eventuality, and see the world grow as more generations join up.

The message of "cheating things in damages the journey" is an extremely correct one, it's just being babies to get that message heard that sucks rear end.

essentially this post lol

like they could literally just....play creative if all they wanted to do was build stuff. but they don't.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

cocomi was playing layers of fear last night and it made me wish some of the hololive girls had hand tracking too cause this is hilarious lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl02mm9K33I&t=3341s

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I really wanna see some vtubers play Monster Prom/Camp.

I think a ton of them would get a kick out of those games.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
in a perfect world they wouldve invited kuroboshi-sensei to the server and he would've dueled huke with a crossbow enchanted with piercing and multishot, a console-exclusive combination that actually does something. i was just looking at the mc gamepedia and it pointed out that using commands to put bow enchants on a crossbow or vice versa doesn't actually make them work

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Squiddycat posted:

Do they play on Java or Bedrock?

java iirc

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Space Flower posted:

in a perfect world they wouldve invited kuroboshi-sensei to the server and he would've dueled huke with a crossbow enchanted with piercing and multishot, a console-exclusive combination that actually does something. i was just looking at the mc gamepedia and it pointed out that using commands to put bow enchants on a crossbow or vice versa doesn't actually make them work

The crossbow enchantments were also a Kiara reference (infinite, fire, power 5)

Raenir Salazar posted:

They use some python screencap script to auto input the code once its shown on stream

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

huke was actually a noob and kiara was too embarassed by her failpapa

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

heavily mod the jp server and let pekora build a nuclear reactor imo

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
There is the argument of watching the journey that's fun. There is also the Moona argument where she becomes Hololive's premiere Red Stone Engineer a week after starting the game.

Everyone's journey is different. The notion of opportunity cost wasted is a fallacy. Having huke-papa cheat for them IS the journey, not a deprivation of it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

pekora starts using the mod that farms dimensions for resources

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
they'd never wanna go back to vanilla once they got their hands on 3x3 tools

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

3x3 tools are loving amazing and minecraft devs need to stop being so slow on updating and iterating on features

idk why they made people vote for a mob instead of just adding all 3

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Varinn posted:

i don't know how many mods have jp translations/documentation (most mods don't even have ENGLISH documentation for gently caress's sake)

it would be really cool to see the HoloEN girls checking out modpacks like Blightfall though, if only to have some modded minecraft content that isn't mostly a bunch of dry nerds in labcoats

EDIT:

Aurora posted:

3x3 tools are loving amazing and minecraft devs need to stop being so slow on updating and iterating on features

i cannot believe minecraft has been out for so long and the premier method of spawn control is still a bunch of lovely torches all over the ground. at least the nether and cave updates are really substantial improvements to fundamental things, but they really need to do stuff with some of the fundamentals

Patware fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 1, 2020

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
We all knew huke was a noob, he admitted so on stream.

Anyways, wanting to watch a streamer's journey is not wrong, I admit to being disappointed Ina played Hades offline because we lost a lot of quality first reactions. Fortunately not the final boss one.

But there's a big difference between that and accusing somebody of cheating and implying they will destroy the integrity of the streamer's journey just because they had a little fun with their personal inventory. It's not like huke had an ender pearl hidden in a chest, he just had a for-fun crossbow and possibly half an hour's busywork worth of supplies.

E: can you apply mods on realms tho?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kyte posted:

E: can you apply mods on realms tho?

you can't iirc

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO2cPVf1hMQ

Happy halloween from the least threatening devil and the most delightful oni.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnDzBSnHlA

It's Elite meme review time

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Varinn posted:

Just introduce Pekora to flying machines and TNT duplication and let nature follow its course.

But make a backup of the server first because she's gonna nuke half the town by mistake.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Crying that Huke spawned in some stuff so he could help Kiara build a restaurant is dumb when the JP server used a lot of creative mode in the beginning. Ultimately it should just be about the quality of the streams and I think we lost the possibility for some great comedy with Kiara bullying KFP employee Huke...

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Literally none of this is really about ethics in Minecraft gaming and all about a guy interacting with them. It's a dipshit smoke screen that's convenient for creeps to use.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Please god coco do not teach hololive about tiermaker. So much damage that device has caused.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

drat Miko is a cold pizza eater. At least she agrees pineapple has no place on a pizza

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

motoh posted:

Please god coco do not teach hololive about tiermaker. So much damage that device has caused.

its too late, this bullshit has been in meme-review since day one.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Pollyanna posted:

Literally none of this is really about ethics in Minecraft gaming and all about a guy interacting with them. It's a dipshit smoke screen that's convenient for creeps to use.

I mean ultimately yeah. We can discuss at length why cheating-at-large is good or not in Minecraft survival mode, but there is a 0.00% chance that anyone screaming about Huke in chat thought through any of it past the fact that MAN WITH MY WAIFU=BAD.

And for what it's worth I think Huke should be playing with them because the more the merrier and we're missing out on quality Kiara content.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kata-Haro posted:

drat Miko is a cold pizza eater. At least she agrees pineapple has no place on a pizza

Cold pizza is the best kind of pizza tho???

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
"let the streamer play the game however they want and with whoever they want" should not be a controversial take lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Squiddycat posted:

Cold pizza is the best kind of pizza tho???

A pizza is best straight from the oven

This is the hill i will die on