Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
With GPM going away, I'm in need of a new music app for my mom. I personally just use Spotify and my own old rear end mp3s so I have no clue how this works. She has a bunch of stuff bought from the Play Store. How does that transfer to a new music app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

There is no sync button or anything, right? It's supposed to happen automatically? I've used it a bit over the weekend but have not had good experiences switching between my android phone and my ipad, worked maybe one time out of ten.

It should be automatic but there are a couple of sync buttons. No idea if they do the same thing or if either sync the data back to their server but it can't hurt to try. One is pull to refresh on the Podcasts tab and the other is a button on the page in the Profile tab.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

She has a bunch of stuff bought from the Play Store. How does that transfer to a new music app?

If it isn't in YTM after the transfer it's gone now. They've been warning users for months and the cutoff was this past week. Not everything in the store is in YTM so she needs to move her library and download what she wants to keep.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 25, 2020

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

Besides Podcast Addict, are there any other podcast players that allow you to automatically download the oldest unheard episode first?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

Besides Podcast Addict, are there any other podcast players that allow you to automatically download the oldest unheard episode first?

Seems like a weird feature the more I think about it. At first it seems obvious, I certainly want to hear the first episode in a story-driven podcast first, after all. But then it occurs to me that I'll want to hear them all eventually anyway so what I would do is start listening to the first episode and then just hit "download all" if I like what I'm hearing.

I can't think of a situation where a user would want an option to automatically download the oldest unheard episode first. I can see why it should do that by default if you pick download all but that's not automatic and if it's set to automatically download I'd expect it to download everything unheard so then oldest has no bearing on it. What am I missing here?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Seems like a weird feature the more I think about it. At first it seems obvious, I certainly want to hear the first episode in a story-driven podcast first, after all. But then it occurs to me that I'll want to hear them all eventually anyway so what I would do is start listening to the first episode and then just hit "download all" if I like what I'm hearing.

I can't think of a situation where a user would want an option to automatically download the oldest unheard episode first. I can see why it should do that by default if you pick download all but that's not automatic and if it's set to automatically download I'd expect it to download everything unheard so then oldest has no bearing on it. What am I missing here?

The only situation I can think of is the initial download when you first subscribe to a podcast. If you're on mobile data, you don't want 30 episodes of something you might not like, but a lot of podcast apps try to download everything anyway.

On a day-to-day basis though, it doesn't make much sense. Podcast apps are designed to only download when a new episode is posted.

However, I do think Beyondpod has this functionality. I vaguely remember being able to set it to download X number of oldest episodes at Y time every day. Unfortunately, the app seems to be largely broken and abandoned at this point, based on recent reviews in the Play Store.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The only situation I can think of is the initial download when you first subscribe to a podcast. If you're on mobile data, you don't want 30 episodes of something you might not like, but a lot of podcast apps try to download everything anyway.

Yeah I thought that too but again if I cared about mobile data use I wouldn't want it to automatically download anything and if I didn't care about it I'd want it to download everything or if space was a concern, just download what I chose. It's the automation that makes it weird.

Didn't Beyondpod have something strange happen that caused it to blow up? I feel like it had something like a really bad rewrite, or sold to someone shady, or had a UI overhaul that was very poorly received? I can't quite remember but it seemed like it happened just before the Pocket Casts UI change and right around the time Podcast Addict came out and everyone abandoned it overnight. I keep leaning toward it being a rewrite that broke a ton of features and then the devs either being assholes about it or just leaving it broken and walking away?

Does anyone else remember this?

Edit: Looks like a combination of all of that. New owners took over, promoted a broken beta, added some shady poo poo to it, and then they just walked away leaving it broken.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 25, 2020

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

LastInLine posted:

Seems like a weird feature the more I think about it.
You know, I had this whole thing typed out to defend myself on that and I couldn't really even properly project why I want this feature. So I guess I kind of don't? Weird. This is the last place I was expecting to have a moment of clarity.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My Pixel 2 is acting like my Nexus 5x used to when the battery was dying, but only when I am video chatting on Facebook Messenger and I switch to the back camera. Shuts off, reboots, weird battery graph.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Power draw is likely exceeding what current the battery can supply due to wear/age. So the device has a brownout and resets.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I figure but it works fine with the front camera and I swear I was switching it a couple of days ago. But, again, it's been happening when my phone is at 30% or less.

Old phone, battery has been bad for a year, no need/money for a new one right now.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Uh, so I go in and check if our local Danish COVID app got an announced update today, and I see this announcement/ad from Shazam. It's the first time I've seen something like this in the updates screen:

I used Shazam about a week ago, so it's not that it hasn't seen use in a while. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Fully updated Pixel 2XL running complete standard apps

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I get ads for gacha games since I play a few on and off. It started a bit ago. Seems like a mix of stuff you've used previously and new stuff.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Uthor posted:

My Pixel 2 is acting like my Nexus 5x used to when the battery was dying, but only when I am video chatting on Facebook Messenger and I switch to the back camera. Shuts off, reboots, weird battery graph.

my pixel 2 seems to do this if i attempt to use the camera anywhere that is less than 50°F

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

my pixel 2 seems to do this if i attempt to use the camera anywhere that is less than 50°F

Interesting. I was outside in the 40’s yesterday when it first happened, then it did it indoors shortly after I came back in.

Though I did take some photos without issues.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
that was a bit of an exaggeration - i did just manage some excellent photos at a lighthouse over the weekend on a chilly afternoon - but when it happens to me I'm usually able to take a couple photos before it happens and then it'll keep happening until I'm able to charge/warm it up. I'd replace the battery but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble at this point

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My sister says her S9's alarm doesn't make noise. She gets a visual alert and/or pop up. I saw some posts about it that suggested rebooting or clearing the cache, which she tried. I don't wanna suggest a factory reset.

Any ideas?

Any alarm app replacement suggestions?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Timely and AM Droid are both pretty popular around here, but just see if disabling Edge Lighting fixes the problem first, I was having a similar issue a few months back.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Anyone know why WhatsApp messages are sometimes bypassing my Do Not Disturb? Could it be because the sender is starred in my contacts, and if so does anyone know a way to silence them on WhatsApp while still keeping their texts/calls priority?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Fart of Presto posted:

Uh, so I go in and check if our local Danish COVID app got an announced update today, and I see this announcement/ad from Shazam. It's the first time I've seen something like this in the updates screen:

I used Shazam about a week ago, so it's not that it hasn't seen use in a while. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Fully updated Pixel 2XL running complete standard apps

It's legit. Google is an ad company and decided to make using their own aps even more annoying. I guess they got jealous of Samsung!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoobles posted:

Anyone know why WhatsApp messages are sometimes bypassing my Do Not Disturb? Could it be because the sender is starred in my contacts, and if so does anyone know a way to silence them on WhatsApp while still keeping their texts/calls priority?

I'm guessing WhatsApp obeys that rule, same as texts/calls. I disable interruptions entirely.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm guessing WhatsApp obeys that rule, same as texts/calls. I disable interruptions entirely.

It's because of the Conversations category in the notifications scheme for Android 11. All messaging apps obey it.

smoobles posted:

I think you'd have to fiddle with notification channels, DND, and interruptions options. I can't walk you through it because I don't have a third party messaging service installed, but I believe there will be a workaround.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It's because of the Conversations category in the notifications scheme for Android 11. All messaging apps obey it

Ahhhhh good call.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Is there an app that can keep me connected to a specific BSSID? I'm within range of like 6 xfinitywifis here and all but two of them suck.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone else having this bug with Textra where if you have a conversation open, shut off the screen, get a text message, fingerprint to unlock then the new message doesn't show up in your conversation? I have to go back to the list of all of my conversations and re-open the chat to see it.

It's a minor thing, but it's very annoying

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Anyone else having this bug with Textra where if you have a conversation open, shut off the screen, get a text message, fingerprint to unlock then the new message doesn't show up in your conversation? I have to go back to the list of all of my conversations and re-open the chat to see it.

I actually had that happen just the other day. I thought it was a one time glitch but if other people are getting it then maybe not.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sab669 posted:

Yes, this is happening to me as well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just to be clear, is it leaving textra open when you shut off the display? Or you've closed the app, but were in a particular conversation rather than your inbox or whatever?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I text my friend.
I turn off the screen (I don't close the app / return to my home screen or anything- leave Textra open, on the current conversation)
They texts me back.
I hit the fingerprint sensor to unlock my phone.
The conversation is on screen, but I don't see their new message.

I have to back out to my 'inbox', re-open the conversation and then I see the new message.

This was happening on my Pixel 3 and still happening on my 5, now.

I was also having a similar issue where I'd text my friend, double-tap the square icon to switch to whatever other app, get a text back, double tap square to return to Textra and again I don't see the message, but that seems to have fixed itself? :shrug:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'd contact Textra about it. I never stick around in the app, so I guess that's why I haven't seen that particular bug.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So what is everyone planning on using when Google shuts off Hangouts? I'm pretty deep into that with both Google voice and all of my family using Hangouts. so I guess I should think about what are the other alternatives available to me now.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My friend group switched to Discord and I use Messages and FB Messenger for family.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I text my friend.
I turn off the screen (I don't close the app / return to my home screen or anything- leave Textra open, on the current conversation)

Was just asking this. I mean, it shouldn't do it obviously, but an easy temporary fix to make it a little better is to go to the home screen before turning off the display, yeah? Then you reopen textra and it's back to that conversation with new replies showing up?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If I go to the home screen then re-open textra, it takes me to the 'inbox' screen rather than the conversation I last had open. So yes I guess then when I re-open the conversation I'll see the latest text message. But functionally that's more taps than just leaving it on the conversation and having to back out and re-open it :v:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

On the topic of Textra, how do you set it to a shorter vibration? I get a startlingly long vibration on every incoming text

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

If I go to the home screen then re-open textra, it takes me to the 'inbox' screen rather than the conversation I last had open. So yes I guess then when I re-open the conversation I'll see the latest text message. But functionally that's more taps than just leaving it on the conversation and having to back out and re-open it :v:

Hopefully they fix it, that sounds like a very dumb bug :shobon:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

So what is everyone planning on using when Google shuts off Hangouts? I'm pretty deep into that with both Google voice and all of my family using Hangouts. so I guess I should think about what are the other alternatives available to me now.

Friends/family all use WhatsApp. I've heard it's not popular in the USA, so I guess the hangouts death is much more of a hassle :(

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

Friends/family all use WhatsApp. I've heard it's not popular in the USA, so I guess the hangouts death is much more of a hassle :(

Isn't Hangouts' core functionality going to be effectively the same for those of us who just use it as Google Voice SMS+phone?

That ability to call or text from wherever will be preserved in other apps, right?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Also can I just say I hate these "unified" Google app icons. Everything is a white circle with RGBY colors. It makes it so hard to find what I'm looking for while scrolling through the app drawer / in the Google folder on my home screen. And because half of them start with the word Google in the app name they're all in roughly the same spot.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah real glad I use a custom launcher and can change those icons to something more distinctive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Huh, I didn't realize that was a feature (I do use Nova). Do you have any recommendations for icons?