Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Tosk posted:

I don't understand, isn't Power alive and just comically switched sides at Makima's urging (although I'm not convinced it's for real)?

New chapter is out Power betrays Makima due to Denji friendship powers and gives her blood to revive Denji. She is now dead dead on earth and will be reborn in Hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I read the spoilers last night and expected this chapter to suck and instead it's so good.

I don't like some individual chapters but as a story CSM is just so well put together

Also I called it he's getting Denji out of there. Road trip time pls!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This chapter really highlights something about how Chainsaw Man handles subverting expectations, I think, including why it tends to leave readers satisfied instead of pissed.

Chainsaw Man, in general, might take an unexpected route to its destination, but it makes sure to do what the story needs.

The Gun Devil was defeated years ago and wasn't the mastermind of anything... but we still get a big Gun Devil fight. Santa's someone else... but we still get all the horrifying Doll Devil abilities and to see why Santa was feared.

Hell, go all the way back to Denji's first time touching boobs. It was a massive disappointment, and then he had the talk with Makima that left him staggered and excited. Chainsaw Man is a manga that disappoints you to set you up for something even better.

This chapter puts Power's first death in that category. We got the shock death, the impact from that, and now we get the emotional goodbye that the shock death denied us.

It's a well done manga.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

This manga has so much more than just the surface to it and it's amazing the possible layers to it.

For example, something that people smarter than I probably have put together before now but exactly how long has/had Makima been controlling the Gun Devil?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Robviously posted:

This manga has so much more than just the surface to it and it's amazing the possible layers to it.

For example, something that people smarter than I probably have put together before now but exactly how long has/had Makima been controlling the Gun Devil?

Well, we know she didn't have it under control before Aki died, since she told Aki and Angel that the way things went was unfortunate, and they weren't going to be able to testify against her after. Once the Gun Devil was dead, she almost certainly had it under control.

The only grey area is if she had control over the Gun Devil when it was in Aki's body, or if she just was manipulating it the old-fashioned way. On the one end, we don't see how the fight ended, and that's pretty sketchy. On the other, we see a lot from Makima that indicates she likes the minimum force approach, mind controlling people the tiniest bit (or even not at all) to ensure they do what she wants, while letting them otherwise think they're acting on their own.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

This scene from the movie applies to both Power and Pochita now. Denjis literally being reborn from the sacrifices of his friends and has emerged from a dumpster twice now.

I also originally thought that the chapter would be lame from reading the early text spoilers but the way it callbacks to chapter 1 makes it super emotional. Chainsawman owns

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This seems like a real "end of season" moment. I love it; gives us a decent idea of what Denji is going to be fighting for now.

Chainsaw Man: Dumpster 2 Dumpster

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, that was a really elegant way to give the story some forward momentum and to give Denji something to live for. A road trip through the bowels of hell also sounds rad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

yum posted:

This scene from the movie applies to both Power and Pochita now. Denjis literally being reborn from the sacrifices of his friends and has emerged from a dumpster twice now.

I also originally thought that the chapter would be lame from reading the early text spoilers but the way it callbacks to chapter 1 makes it super emotional. Chainsawman owns

Yeah, killing the most popular character the next chapter after bringing her back from the dead goes beyond hacky into some bizarre new level of insane mega hackery on paper, but it really worked in practice, giving Power the dignity (and that feels like a bizarre word in relation to Power) she needed for her death to be tragic and fulfilling for her as a character, rather than just existing for its impact on the rest of the cast.

Of course, I'm also curious how Makima crying at that scene at the movies will play into things.

I can't believe that the only chapter where she lets her hair down isn't important for her. Visual language just doesn't work like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, killing the most popular character the next chapter after bringing her back from the dead goes beyond hacky into some bizarre new level of insane mega hackery on paper, but it really worked in practice, giving Power the dignity (and that feels like a bizarre word in relation to Power) she needed for her death to be tragic and fulfilling for her as a character, rather than just existing for its impact on the rest of the cast.

Of course, I'm also curious how Makima crying at that scene at the movies will play into things.

I can't believe that the only chapter where she lets her hair down isn't important for her. Visual language just doesn't work like that.

It also helps that her and Denji are quite insistent on making sure that this is an au revoir and not an adieu.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Looking forward to Denji dragging Kobeni to hell with him.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Jerkface posted:

New chapter is out Power betrays Makima due to Denji friendship powers and gives her blood to revive Denji. She is now dead dead on earth and will be reborn in Hell

Oh wow, thanks. That chapter owned.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

chiasaur11 posted:

I didn't even register that her hair was down. Really do wonder what that scene means to her. I mean, she's the Control Devil but also has the appearance of a human. Was she a human in the past that's been possessed for hundreds of years? And are the other 3 horsemen similar to her? Where are they anyways

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
centipedes are just worms in eva suits

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
happy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

yum posted:

I didn't even register that her hair was down. Really do wonder what that scene means to her. I mean, she's the Control Devil but also has the appearance of a human. Was she a human in the past that's been possessed for hundreds of years? And are the other 3 horsemen similar to her? Where are they anyways

I’m guessing the other 3 horsemen are in control of the 3 big countries: USA, China, and Russia. Thematically I guess it would make the most sense for War to be in USA, Famine in China, and Death in Russia?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, is it just me, or was this about as romantic as Denji and Power's relationship has got? Yeah, I know they've mostly been like siblings to each other, but when the protagonist has a girl give everything of herself to him in exchange for a promise to find her again no matter what, that seems pretty... uhh... significant.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You wouldn't do that for one of your buddies?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yum posted:

That movie theater chapter is starting to make sense now

Which? I completely forget it.

poor denji though, all his friends are gone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A genuine moment in this series stands out more due to its tone during the rest of it. It only really works and manages to not be cheesy because of that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, is it just me, or was this about as romantic as Denji and Power's relationship has got? Yeah, I know they've mostly been like siblings to each other, but when the protagonist has a girl give everything of herself to him in exchange for a promise to find her again no matter what, that seems pretty... uhh... significant.

Yoooooo i already said it before but Power asking Denji to drink her blood and that subsequent panel are like amongst the most erotic you could possibly get in a SJ manga. Even though the text says Denji doesn't find it hot, its drawn erotically and Power is mega blushing. I think that scene + this (which ultimately is just a continuation of that request) IS very romantic, even if ultimately its sibling or friend love.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Yoooooo i already said it before but Power asking Denji to drink her blood and that subsequent panel are like amongst the most erotic you could possibly get in a SJ manga. Even though the text says Denji doesn't find it hot, its drawn erotically and Power is mega blushing. I think that scene + this (which ultimately is just a continuation of that request) IS very romantic, even if ultimately its sibling or friend love.

It's drawn erotically which emphasizes how Denji doesn't find it hot. He's in a situation which he "knows" should be getting the motor running, so to speak, and yet he doesn't get anything from it.

This scene, by contrast, isn't so much erotic as romantic. It's about Denji being the most important person in Power's life, and her being much, much more important to him than he ever admitted while she was alive. (Unlike with Himeno, his first work friend, Power's death left him feeling like total poo poo. There's physical aspects, but the emotion takes primacy.

Also, I think the blood drinking scene is still less erotic than the full color lesbian orgy back in International Assassins.

yum posted:

She'd be the Control Fiend if she possessed a corpse. She'd also have some oddity to her head, like horns, which she lacks.

From what we've been told so far, she looks human because the Control Devil looks human. As a rule of thumb, the more human a devil looks, the more positively disposed they are towards humanity. We can therefore assume, for now at least, that Makima's sincere when she talks about how she likes humans much like how humans like dogs.

As for the other three horsemen... well. We'll see what we see.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 1, 2020

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

RatHat posted:

I’m guessing the other 3 horsemen are in control of the 3 big countries: USA, China, and Russia. Thematically I guess it would make the most sense for War to be in USA, Famine in China, and Death in Russia?

I like that theory. Those countries have been major players in the story so far. Maybe War is in Germany? It felt like it was the decision of the POTUS to summon the gun devil while Germany's Santa still seemed to be taking orders from people higher up.

Acerbatus posted:

Which? I completely forget it.

poor denji though, all his friends are gone.

yum posted:

I was referring to this when Denji starts crying at a scene in the movie of what appears to be two people from different backgrounds reuniting. It can either foreshadow Denji finding the Blood Devil in hell in the next part of the story or Denji and Pochita.

chiasaur11 posted:

She'd be the Control Fiend if she possessed a corpse. She'd also have some oddity to her head, like horns, which she lacks.

From what we've been told so far, she looks human because the Control Devil looks human. As a rule of thumb, the more human a devil looks, the more positively disposed they are towards humanity. We can therefore assume, for now at least, that Makima's sincere when she talks about how she likes humans much like how humans like dogs.

As for the other three horsemen... well. We'll see what we see.

the true devils were humans all along.

And I'm also on the side of non-romance.

yum fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 1, 2020

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd argue that it's always been limiting to think of their relationship as a familial/romantic binary choice when I think it's always been sort of in between. Like I feel like the basic relationship arc was Denji being mostly physically attracted to her and kind of emotionally resonating with her bond with Meowy > Existential crisis after realizing that physical attraction and his idea of emotional fulfillment where different things > learning to be comfortable around each other > finding comfort and emotional fulfilment in each other.

And from there? I dunno, they were always presented as way more physically intimate then siblings would be (what with the psycho-sexual blood sucking) but also not sexual. Except for when it was.

...Maybe friends with bennies? but the benefits are blood and video games???

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

It's drawn erotically which emphasizes how Denji doesn't find it hot. He's in a situation which he "knows" should be getting the motor running, so to speak, and yet he doesn't get anything from it.
I would argue the main reason is Denji, on some level, got that Power was in no state to really consent and that he'd have been taking advantage of her if he escalated it in that situation. In other words, Power was more important to him than as just an avenue for sex and he genuinely cared for her emotional well being. Whether that's romantic is a big question mark right now but I think Makima was a bit cocky to think Denji's relationship with Power ended at "his little sister".

I do think Chainsaw Man is mostly about learning how to care about people and navigating intimacy and while that doesn't have to involve romance with Power, it's more likely it does considering Makima is playing in that field already.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

RatHat posted:

I feel as if the US President's contract with the Gun Devil would have been framed very differently if that were the case.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hypocrisy posted:

I feel as if the US President's contract with the Gun Devil would have been framed very differently if that were the case.

To be fair, Makima isn't really the top dog in Japan. She's fairly high up in the organization, but not like the leader or anything. It's possible the other horsemen are similarly "hidden"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It doesnt have to be black/white romantic/erotic. Human relationships are pretty plastic. They definitely share a strong bond but you cant really describe it as a familial or lover relstionship.

Just that theyd rather be together than not.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 1, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wait.

Why is everyone calling Makima a horseman? Where'd that come from?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Wait.

Why is everyone calling Makima a horseman? Where'd that come from?

Makima specifically mentions war, disease/famine (I forgot which) and death fighting Chainsaw Man but leaves out conquest which one can contort into authority/control depending on interpretations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that seems like a bit of a stretch

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ANN posted:

This year's 48th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine teased on Monday that Tatsuki Fujimoto's Chainsaw Man manga will enter its "final stage" starting with the magazine's next issue on November 9.

link

I tend to like stories that have a clear narrative arc, and end when it makes sense to do so. But, i will miss this when it's wrapped up.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
If Power gave Denji her blood this chapter, doesn't that mean she can revive herself in the same manner as in chapter 90?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-11-01/chainsaw-man-manga-enters-final-stage/.165798

we're heading into the climax folks

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

yum posted:

If Power gave Denji her blood this chapter, doesn't that mean she can revive herself in the same manner as in chapter 90?

I assume that wouldn't work because she specifically killed herself to do it, but it may well help Denji give the new Blood Devil Power's memories when he meets them (which might count as bringing her back if it lets him retrieve enough of her).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Wasn't there some quote where this was just supposed to be the first arc of 3 total? I don't want it to end!!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Oh boy! A character in a Fujimoto series has been told to live...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
what a wonderful chapter, and now that we have confirmation of end game for the story. Let the bloodgates open :gibs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

To be fair the “final stage” will likely last years.