Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ILLUSION CONNECT: THE THREAD

Official Site: https://www.illusionconnectgame.com//
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/IllusionConnect/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/connectillusion
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IllusionConnectGlobal/

What is this game?

It's a Gacha with team-building and sRPG elements. You build your deck, then use your regenerating energy to drag your cheebs onto the board where they will act according to their AI. When you're starting out, your board will look like this:

You can also just put all the gameplay on auto and watch the AI deploy your waifus in the most incompetent ways possible. This is what I do 99.98% of the time since you're almost always refunded your stamina/tickets/whatever when you lose.

Gameplay Modes:

Dream
This is your standard story progression mode. I'm told a story exists but I've never not skipped everything. It is split into Normal and Collapsed. Collapsed is where you'll spend most of your stamina because that's where you get all of your character/item upgrade materials. If you want to unlock ("Link") your character's max level, click on their level in the partners screen, hit the plus next to the badges you don't have enough of, then the game will tell you what level of Collapsed you need to get that resource. You can then sweep ("Raid") that level if you have three stars in it to quickly get all the materials you need. The basic loop in dreams is to get as far as you can, then level up your partners doing the above, then repeat.

Daily Trials
Various mission that will give you either XP, Gold, or Crystals, depending on which mission type you pick. Unless you really need one of these things immediately, you'll probably just do 2 of them each day to complete the daily mission.

Exploration
A laggy free roaming thing where you wander around a map, do some quick fetch type quests, and kill some generic dudes. Gives you decent gear for your partners, at least early on. Thankfully after the first time you do each one you can auto-afk it every time after. Another mode where you'll probably only do it once a day for the daily quest after a while.

Arcana (Illusion Corridor)
The good training mode. You'll fight in 9 successive battles, and after each you'll get a chance to pick a buff that lasts for the rest of the mode and 3 additional characters for your team. You can then merge those extra characters into your existing members to raise their percentage and buff them accordingly. If you get the buff to 100% then you get shards for that character, making this the most reliable way to get a trickle of character-specific shards. Merging characters of the same class boosts the percentage faster than normal, and merging the exact same character into itself gives the biggest boost. This also gives gnosis shards. See section on gacha summoning

Dream Expedition
Fight in successive battles where you have a buff for as long as your expedition crystals hold out. These will drain with every battle you fight, and regen over time. Resets weekly and also gives you gnosis shards.

Dream Arena
This is the PVP league and mostly works how you'd expect. You can autoresolve your fights through 'Fast Challenge', and in that case the server will simulate your fight deploying your characters in the exact order you have them in your lineup screen. Note that sometimes running fast challenge a few times will give you the win even after losing the first couple times. BIG NOTE: You do not lose your challenge ticket unless you win a battle! This means you can just hammer fast challenge or fight the same battle in manual fight over and over again until you get it right, if that's your thing. You get extra bonus rewards if you can beat 3, 6, or all 10 of the opponents on your challenge screen. Besides diamonds, this also gives you Seed Tokens. See section on gacha summoning.

Ten Saints Tournament
A special tournament that takes place twice a day (you can only register for one) among up to 3000 entrants. Once registering, you then set up 10 teams of 3 characters each to compete. At the specified time you will be matched in 10 successive matches, only able to use each team once. Before each match you can swap to any of the 10 teams you haven't already used. So the basic idea here is that you want to select the least powerful team you have that can clearly beat the other person. The top 16 entrants then go on to battle in a tournament bracket setting, but the highest I've gotten is 18 so I'll write more about that if I ever make it there. The tournament gives really good rewards even if you don't make it into the top rankings so definitely sign up and just let it autobattle for you even if you don't give a poo poo about competing.

Gacha Summoning:
This is a gacha game so you're definitely gonna be doing 10x pulls looking for SSRs and dupes to star up your waifus. One thing this game does different than any other I've seen, is that (besides event banners), the banners that pop up are based on how long it has been since you opened your account. So everybody will start seeing he Maki banner on their 4th day playing. The banner schedule I've been looking at is this one:
https://www.gacha.gg/guides/illusion-connect-banners/

Here are the various summon currency types

Summon Tickets
These are the regular summon tickets. You will be spending almost all of your diamonds on these. They will let you pull on normal banners or gear summon

Selected Tickets
The fancy expensive tickets that let you pull on selected banners. They cost more diamonds but you'll get some by doing various things. Probably don't buy them but save them up for the banners you really want.

Gnosis
You get this stuff for fighting in Arcana or Dream Expedition. It gives you a random mix of gear/shards/misc items (NOT CHARACTERS), and then after a certain number of pulls it will guarantee you the character on the banner

Seed Badges
Same as Gnosis, but a different character and you get the resources through PvP

Guild Contribution
Same as the above two, but a different (much better) character and you get the resources by contributing to your guild. You can contribute either gold or diamonds to your guild for these. Diamonds will raise your guild XP faster and give you more guild contribution tokens to spend in this gacha. Is it worth it to contribute diamonds over gold? I'm doing it, and it also helps us raise our guild roster cap, but you do you.

Is there a tier list? What characters should I be building out?

Here's a tier list I view as roughly accurate:
https://www.gacha.gg/guides/illusion-connect-tier-list/

Notable characters that aren't SSR and other basic teambuilding tips
- Rikia is an SR with great AOE that can also debuff and silence. Literally still bumping lower starred SSRs off my list to this day.
- Pan is an SR that does great damage and does more damage the less people are on the board. A star of lots of niche lists and can dunk a heavy off the board early/late in a match when played at the right time. Less good on auto.
- Saya is your starter character and if you do the progress quest she eventually gets leveled up to SSR. Good single target damage but never really top tier imo
- Ann is an SR summoner who summons two puppet tanks and does decent single target damage while summoning. I think her usefulness falls off a lot late game but really solid in early-mid.
- Amon is an SR that can resurrect a dead partner. I thought this was the business early on and she was in all my teams but I've phased her out by now. Can really save the day if you get lucky but yeah, probably won't most of the time.
- Nina/Victoria are the starter caster/tank characters you get awarded and pretty easy to star up. I never bothered with either but I've definitely seen Nina finish off a row of my dudes a few times after they've been weakened in PvP.
- Rie/Annie are SRs that I've only grouped together because I never used them so don't have much to say but I still see them in like master league PvP occasionally

$$$$$$$$ Stuff:

Is this game FTP friendly?
Yeah, I'd say it's at least relatively ftp friendly. You get a pretty healthy stream of diamonds and tickets just from doing daily quests, advancing the story, participating in PvP, and other stuff. You'll probably have a slower time climbing the PvP rankings and may get gated for a few days on story progress while you farm resources, but it's generally fine. I have a $0 alt on Server 1 just to dick around with and I was getting jealous because it pulled Miyuki and Yuffie before my main

I'm ready to whale, what do I buy?
- Get the $1 Phoebe since she's a really good AOE damage/debuffer and resurrects once on death. When she resurrects she comes back with only 1/2 of her rage bar so she's probably just going to die again before firing off another AOE, but it still doesn't hurt
- Maybe get the Phoenix SVIP privilege thing. It's 10 summon tickets now, 5 every week forever, and your wasted stamina goes into reserve instead of disappearing. Worth it if you have the $$$ and think you're going to be playing for a while
- Maybe get event passes during events. Right now there's a golden feast event going on that can get you a character that's an extremely strong and extremely drunk caster. If you're willing to engage in a little p2w then this is good bang for your buck
- Get some limited time stuff? IDK. You're going to find your progress gated by limited stamina to farm emblems and poo poo more than anything you'd really want to buy in the shop so maybe don't.

Goon guilds:

Server 1: Goonz (Guildmaster: New Leaf)
Server 2: WHALES (Guildmaster: Me)

Post your in game name in this thread after sending an invite to not get rejected.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

:siren:FREE poo poo:siren:

There are a bunch of redeemable codes for the game right now since it's still pretty soon after launch. To add them, click on your the picture next to your name in the upper left of the home screen, then select 'Redeem'. These are not case sensitive and are by server, so if you are some freak playing on multiple servers you can redeem on all of your alts on other servers. I'll try to keep these updated as time goes on.

Currently active codes for the game (updated 12/23)

#ICCONG
#ICFG
#ICSTORM
#ICFG
#ICFG3000
#ICYDCB
#Illusion
#ICBorkono
#ICTachi
#ICWOOPS
#ICOMNI
#ICzoxas
#ICtanna
#ICbaguio
#ICdrake
#ICMOBILE
#ICKUN
#ICBD
#ICCDAWGVA
#ICGIGGUK
#ICAC
#ICKHOR
#ICGUITAR
#icfort
#ic777
#icander
#icvolkin
#iczbingz
#icryuma
#icgladiuz
#icvolkin
#icmuge
#icmango
#icvonvian
#iceasytm
#icjosh
#DC20000
#icjames
#icsumz
#icmachine
#ICRDDT10K
#iconnect
#icsala
#icspace
#icnaklas
#ictaryut
#icsg
#icvk12
#icmango12
#icvon10
#iccy
#icthip
#icdec
#icanimeu
#loveic

Inactive:
#iclive
#dc10000
#DC5000
#DC1000
#DC3000
#icmeme100
#icmeme200

If you're new and you find that any of these don't work then please let me know since I don't know an easy way to tell when these get deactivated

Also, there are 4 bonuses you can get by using facebook messenger to message the illusion connect facebook group, without following them. You can find them here:
https://www.mrguider.org/articles/illusion-connect-code-pack-redeem/#illusionconnectgiftcodeevent

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 23, 2020

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Thanks for making the thread.

I learned today to not be a dumb dumb and run no healer just because I didn't have an AoE healer better than R. Jasmine is SR but wasn't working well for me because she only healed the most injured and that was oftentimes a useless meat summon.

Swapped in Polly and suddenly I was beating levels again.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

A lot of R's are really good. Their base stats aren't as good but they're really easy to get to 4 stars if you use even just your free pulls. I've been using Rie, Polly and Shanti situationally. Maybe a couple others, I can check after maintenance.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I just applied to WHALES as 'HuzzahDv'

Also what is up with the word filter in this game? Having the letters AV together is forbidden?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yay a thread!

Is Woobo one of you? I've got an applicant standing by, and I think I may have accidentally let another non-goon into guild 1. We're not exactly busting at the seams though so as long as we don't have goons on the bench, what do you think about taking all comers?

Also, are there any team building guidelines anyone has run into yet? IE, you always want this many tanks, this many attackers, this many healers in your layout? Right now I'm at 26, so 4 levels shy of unlocking a new team slot, but I'm not running a healer. I'm getting to the point where I feel like I probably should, and I just got Diana, who is the highest tier healer I can muster right now (previously would have been Jasmine). I could wait until 30 and fit her in then, or go ahead and figure it out now..

My current team composition is:

2 tanks: Kiraya and Selena
3 attackers: Saya, Maki, and Pan
3 AE/casters: Miyuki, Phoebe, and Rikia

Also, with the tier lists.. I'm surprised Hotaru isn't higher ranked. She only costs 10 and does a full column of damage when she drops in, but I cycled her out for Pan because of her absurd single target damage plus other benefits. I just feel like she's under-tiered. Same with Barinas. He's expensive at 17 but he does a cross/plus shaped AE (+) that hits the leader and it procs fairly often. Once I have my full team slots open at 40 he'll probably go back in regardless of his place on the tier list.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 29, 2020

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm using Ann because she's super strong. Last 2 stages in 5, I summoned her first and her minion summons hung around the entire fight as tanks.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

New Leaf posted:

Same with Barinas. He's expensive at 17 but he does a cross/plus shaped AE (+) that hits the leader and it procs fairly often. Once I have my full team slots open at 40 he'll probably go back in regardless of his place on the tier list.

Honestly playing the arcana mode has made me form my own internal tier list and Barinas is loving top tier. Every time I draft him, I'm super impressed. That might just be because 60%+ of my team is still stuff I'm bringing in even near the end and he works well with what I have but now I really want to have him for real.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm using Ann because she's super strong. Last 2 stages in 5, I summoned her first and her minion summons hung around the entire fight as tanks.

Ann is quite good early on. I’ve been using her a lot as I’ve been leveling and am only now beginning to phase her out as I shift toward pure damage

WHALES is now full btw (after adding the person who just applied). If everyone can remember to contribute daily we can begin expanding the roster. Otherwise I’ll need to start booting inactives at some point in the future

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
So it seems it you update the game via Google play you then can't login. Hmmm. Reinstalling supposedly fixes it, so trying that now!

Edit: reinstall fixed it!

Roid666 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 29, 2020

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Applied to WHALES, in case any spots open up.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

JagGator posted:

If people continue contributing the guild should level up tomorrow and a roster slot will open up for you

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Things I wish I had realized earlier: Arena combat refunds your ticket if you lose a fight + you can auto-resolve arena combat. I had mostly been ignoring arena outside of the daily quest, but I now am making a point to get my arena tickets down to 10 or so once they start to build up. I've auto-resolved on the same opponent multiple times and eventually won without changing my comp at all. As it only costs 5 seconds or so, I tend to run auto-combat 4 or 5 times to see if I can get the win before moving on or trying it manually. Even if you cannot end up winning your 10 rounds, you can refresh 10 new opponents every 10 minutes. One other thing I noticed is that you get a reward each time you rank up to a new tier in arena.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Don't burn all your pumpkins just yet, they're lowering the difficulty of the event stages since they're tuned for KR server difficulty.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

JagGator posted:

We leveled up so you’re now in

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tagichatn posted:

Don't burn all your pumpkins just yet, they're lowering the difficulty of the event stages since they're tuned for KR server difficulty.

Oh good, I beat the first floor and then cracked up when I saw the second.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Too Shy Guy posted:

Oh good, I beat the first floor and then cracked up when I saw the second.

Yeah it’s bananas right now. I’m capping out in the middle of the third floor and I’m almost into King league. Also there’s at least one quest that’s literally impossible since it’s asking you to use a feature not currently in the game

E: that said it refunds your pumpkins if you fail so go hog wild up to the point where you fail out

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 30, 2020

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

New Leaf posted:

Also, with the tier lists.. I'm surprised Hotaru isn't higher ranked. She only costs 10 and does a full column of damage when she drops in, but I cycled her out for Pan because of her absurd single target damage plus other benefits. I just feel like she's under-tiered. Same with Barinas. He's expensive at 17 but he does a cross/plus shaped AE (+) that hits the leader and it procs fairly often. Once I have my full team slots open at 40 he'll probably go back in regardless of his place on the tier list.

I feel like the tier list is just a measure of how good a unit could be fit into any team and that you could probably find a space for most units in the right team. For tier reasoning tho Barinas is just too expensive for what he does, if you want a tank Shanti is R (so everyone probably has her and can rank her up) , costs less than half as much, and comes out invincible for 14 seconds. Also, the high tier units tend to get really game changing buffs at higher ranks and I think Barinas gets +dam to guardians and lifesteal which is eh.

Then again apparently on the KR servers they're figuring that they ranked Maki too high because Pan does literally everything better so I'd like to return to my original point.

Also, Jasmine is my favorite healer because her heal also damages the enemy unit with the lowest HP which is great for picking off the leader if he's protected by 9000 summoned wolves. And because I don't have Anna.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I’ve come to the personal conclusion that Anna is the only healer worth taking. Jasmine and Diamond are both ok but I’ve been phasing them out of my teams because quickly eliminating threats before they push out more damage just seems better than the off chance the heal will go off at just the right time

I don’t have Anna sadly

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
How are you guys building your teams?

I've just been trying to hit all the leader buffs.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Kegslayer posted:

I just go for a good all around. Single\AoE\Tank. My healer is junk cause I don't have Anna yet.

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah it’s bananas right now. I’m capping out in the middle of the third floor and I’m almost into King league. Also there’s at least one quest that’s literally impossible since it’s asking you to use a feature not currently in the game

E: that said it refunds your pumpkins if you fail so go hog wild up to the point where you fail out

If there's multiple floors, I'm on like 1-4 so far.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Kegslayer posted:

I've unlocked the 2nd hero option (shadow hunter) and built to activate 5 of the passives. I run one tank, 1 healer, a mix of 6 reds (solo dps) and blues (AoE DPS) and 2 flex spots (cat lady pretty much permanently occupies one of those.) It has taken me into chapter 10 normal/cleared chapter 9 collapased.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I applied to Goonz.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I don’t know why but Ann’s initial drop when she summons her minions hits so hard in comparison to the rest of my team when it comes to single target.

Also apped to WHALES as HyC

Hy_C fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 1, 2020

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hy_C posted:

I don’t know why but Ann’s initial drop when she summons her minions hits so hard in comparison to the rest of my team when it comes to single target.

Also apped to WHALES as HyC

Ann’s single target damage is definitely good early on. I’ve shifted away from her as I get into the later game but she’s solid into the early middle game

I’ll add you into WHALES ASAP but right now we’re full and need at least 2 level ups in guild before our roster expands. If anyone is idle for 48 hours I’ll kick them and invite you but otherwise we’re waiting for the level up.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I'm already drowning in gacha games but I thought I would give this one a go.

A couple of questions- is rerolling worth doing in this game? I did my first few pulls and got 2 SSRs (Gagaku and Frantiva) but not sure how generous the pull currency is in this game.

Secondly, does it matter what server I'm in when joining guilds? Where is the local goon population at? It's not stated on the opening post.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Samael posted:

I'm already drowning in gacha games but I thought I would give this one a go.

A couple of questions- is rerolling worth doing in this game? I did my first few pulls and got 2 SSRs (Gagaku and Frantiva) but not sure how generous the pull currency is in this game.

Secondly, does it matter what server I'm in when joining guilds? Where is the local goon population at? It's not stated on the opening post.

We're unfortunately spread over US1 and US2.

I don't really think rerolls are necessary, but I feel that way about most games. Currency is pretty generous, and the starting girls you're given are very solid. Saya is one of the best attackers in the game. Even some R and SR seem like over their place middle late game, so I would just get playing and see if you like it.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

New Leaf posted:

We're unfortunately spread over US1 and US2.

I don't really think rerolls are necessary, but I feel that way about most games. Currency is pretty generous, and the starting girls you're given are very solid. Saya is one of the best attackers in the game. Even some R and SR seem like over their place middle late game, so I would just get playing and see if you like it.

Ah the game auto put me into EU server. I guess I have to reset in order to get with you guys right? I think I'll just stay here, got some good rolls.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Rerolling takes like 30 seconds in this game so I'd reroll for something you want or something up on the tier list.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
You get a lot of starting capital to eventually build your team but yeah, rerolling is so fast and having a good aoe makes everything so much easier to start that I'd really recommend it especially since everyone starts with the Miyuki banner and she's extremely good even at the starting 3*.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Miyuki is cool and good and Phoebe is 99 cents and also cool and good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Framboise posted:

Miyuki is cool and good and Phoebe is 99 cents and also cool and good.

I have both and I agree with this.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Just keep in mind that 3* units fall off at a certain point so don't get attached to those base SSRs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tagichatn posted:

Just keep in mind that 3* units fall off at a certain point so don't get attached to those base SSRs.

What do you mean? What should I be building toward?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Framboise posted:

What do you mean? What should I be building toward?

Mostly it’s just that max star SRs that are good can beat lessor starred SSRs. Like Rikia and Pan are really good and easy to get to max stars while Nicola may be good at max stars or one short of max but is kinda lacking before that

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, what Good Citizen said. I have a bunch of SSR but only two of them at 4 stars or above. The rest I don't use because a 4 or 5 star SR is better because of the stat advantage. Hell, I even use a few R characters. I'm not super familiar with all the units but I'd only use Anna and maybe Miyuki at 3*. Anna just has crazy good effects right off the bat and Miyuki's rage removal is really useful.

I basically wasn't able to do Witch Operation at S until I dedicated my Miyuki to stealing Yuffie's rage, then it was easy. Also everyone should get multiple Miyukis with the selector thingy after a week. Ideally you'd reroll for her too for an eventual 5*.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Good Citizen posted:

Mostly it’s just that max star SRs that are good can beat lessor starred SSRs. Like Rikia and Pan are really good and easy to get to max stars while Nicola may be good at max stars or one short of max but is kinda lacking before that

This is really true. I've got Harto 5 star and Phoebe 3 star, both at lvl 80 and similar gear. Harto is rated ~900 CP higher. It would have taken me waaaaaaay longer to get to this point without the 3star phoebe to lean on earlier, but I was sleeping on 5 star SR's.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Can’t get pull a single Pan but I’m up 3 Miyuki’s now. With the 8 day free Miyuki does this mean I will be able to 6 star her?

Hy_C fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 2, 2020

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The last star takes 120 shards or two copies so you need one more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Hy_C posted:

Can’t get pull a single Pan but I’m up 3 Miyuki’s now. With the 8 day free Miyuki does this mean I will be able to 6 star her?

I've pulled a Pan but I haven't even seen Rikia yet myself.