Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
About 2 and half years ago I bought a box of 12 tins of KO dines (I actually posted in this thread when I got them!), ate a few, then left the rest in my cabinet forgotten until today. I decided to try one and it was quite surprised, they were extremely mild in flavor and had no fishy aftertaste at all, like I just finished eating the whole thing and I can't even tell I just had a tin of sardines. Maybe I'll just let the rest of these keep going and try another can in a year and see what happens :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
2018 was a fine year for dines

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hmm... i believe i'll go with the 2014 Briosa

*waiter brings out tin on a silver platter, cracks it open and pours a small amount of oil into my spoon*

mmm... yes, this will do nicely

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A spoon? Surely you mean a snifter

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Mozi posted:

hmm... i believe i'll go with the 2014 Briosa

*waiter brings out tin on a silver platter, cracks it open and pours a small amount of oil into my spoon*

mmm... yes, this will do nicely

literally happening right now in NY & LA

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

For ambience, the candlelight at the table is just a tin of sardines in oil with a wick stuck through the top

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

pretty sure ive seen service in washed out tins

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Folks in European sardine countries (Portugal, France etc.) often age good sardines for years. The good stuff can also cost over six euros per tin. Apparently gourmet dines have a flavour that develops with age :france: :coolfish:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I kinda want to know what a 6 Euro sardine tastes like.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thinkin.

About them squids

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
In laws live in coastal Maine half the year, brought me a goodie:

Not canned, but relevant to shared interests in this thread. Haven't tried them yet, as still eating through the fresh smoked salmon and trout I got at the Baltimore farmers market this weekend.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Whoa honey mustard??

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
poo poo, I miss Maine seafood…

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I have.....never had any kind of preserved mussel.

like, I don't feel any real pressing need to fill that gap in my experience it's just sort of striking that it's there.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
They tin pretty well. They're ever so slightly mushier than fresh ones but they taste of whatever the sauce is.

naem
May 29, 2011

people eat most shellfish traditionally out of absolute desperation to survive and then it becomes that thing where there’s free meat inside of a rock on the beach if you’re willing to dig around in the muck enough and squint and gulp it down and pretend it’s real meat

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

naem posted:

people eat most shellfish traditionally out of absolute desperation to survive and then it becomes that thing where there’s free meat inside of a rock on the beach if you’re willing to dig around in the muck enough and squint and gulp it down and pretend it’s real meat

yes! even arthropods... shrimp and grits (eg) get elevated (arguably). lobster less disputably so

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

true except for oysters.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IIRC one of the main reasons lobsters & other shellfish was considered poor people food was that they went bad very quickly when out of the water & died. It wasn't until more modern refrigeration techniques that elevated them (especially lobsters) to rich people food.

Preserving mollusks by smoking them seems like a good way to have them last a longer time.

Now I want to try smoking a lobster…

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

About once a year I have a lobster tail, and my usual preparation method is to butterfly it and smoke it over apple wood.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

naem posted:

You ever eat a nut and bitch this much about it?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Android Apocalypse posted:

Now I want to try smoking a lobster…

interesting. most people just eat them

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My King Oscar goodies arrived today (apron and a tin of the tiny tots). I decided to share the bounty with the household, which involved my husband having his first dine (he likes them more than he thought he would) and me giving the cats a small plate with a single fish and a touch of oil. The cats want nothing to do with sardines. Are they broken? Should I take them to the vet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Guildenstern Mother posted:

My King Oscar goodies arrived today (apron and a tin of the tiny tots). I decided to share the bounty with the household, which involved my husband having his first dine (he likes them more than he thought he would) and me giving the cats a small plate with a single fish and a touch of oil. The cats want nothing to do with sardines. Are they broken? Should I take them to the vet?

My cats won't eat em, either. One won't eat anything other than dry food. Cats are weird.

The corgi, on the other hand, is on my rear end the moment he hears a tin start to open.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mr. Nice! posted:

One won't eat anything other than dry food. Cats are weird.

That was my first cat. My mom insisted on buying the extra fancy wet food for him and mixed his dry food with it in an attempt to get him to eat it. He'd just pick out the dry food and the whole thing culminated with her yelling at him in the kitchen "What the gently caress cat, this is the cat food I would eat if I was homeless why do you think you're too good for this"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

The cats want nothing to do with sardines. Are they broken? Should I take them to the vet?

my memory is that my cats would go hog-wild for tuna and salmon, but that they did not care for 'dines

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

That was my first cat. My mom insisted on buying the extra fancy wet food for him and mixed his dry food with it in an attempt to get him to eat it. He'd just pick out the dry food and the whole thing culminated with her yelling at him in the kitchen "What the gently caress cat, this is the cat food I would eat if I was homeless why do you think you're too good for this"

lol, cats are jerks*

*have a cat. she sucks but is my little baby

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Latest haul from Fubonn. Kinda excited to try these Ayam Brand 'dines.

Was it somewhere in this thread that mentioned making some crab meat spread?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just had some Bellas in cayenne olive oil on wasa flatbread with chives, dijon mustard, and a bit of pepper. :hellyeah:

I remember that post. I looked back through the thread a bit and I don't think it's from this one. Could be wrong, though.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

my cats love KO dines and really love KO mackerel

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

had some dines the other night as a midnight snack

straight out of the tin and drenched in Louisiana sauce

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Latest haul from Fubonn. Kinda excited to try these Ayam Brand 'dines.

Not sure if this is what was mentioned, but crab dip made with sour cream and/or cream cheese is pretty popular, recipes should be easy to find. For me it's a food that's incredibly delicious for the first few bites and progressively more repulsive as I eat more.

Those sardines look good, especially the black bean and teriyaki ones - all canned fish packed with those that I've tried have been nice. Sardines, mackerel, milkfish, dace, all good.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hub, makes sense crab dip gets tough to eat after a while.

I'm tempted to try making a crab melt sandwich. Maybe in a couple days.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

did the thread ever settle on what dace is?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

The Voice of Labor posted:

did the thread ever settle on what dace is?

It's Chinese mud carp, and tasty. I'd eat it moderately, though; in theory it's ecologically responsible but every couple years the big companies (Pearl River Bridge is a frequent offender, Eagle Coin a little less so) turn out a batch tainted with a carcinogenic antimicrobial.

e: not a pesticide, some other farming compound

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 11, 2020

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Might be the olive oil turning yer cats off. A buddy a mine gives his cat sardines in water. But he's been doing it since he was a kitten. Anyway I know gently caress all about cats. Only animal I care about is the majestic sardine.

naem
May 29, 2011

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Only animal I care about is the majestic sardine.

https://i.imgur.com/OnrQeyY.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/nHgXihe.gifv

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My dogs are spoiled and won't eat their dogfood if there's not a whiff of human food to it. The dregs of a can of sardines are enough to make them eat greedily for days, just stir in a few drops and it's gourmet dogfood fit for the king of the dogs

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Also, I ate some roland boneless skinless dines in olive oil the other day and they were :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I just crushed a can of KO mackerel for lunch, long live the king!