Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Remember being a kid and having the tape scream at you before having to fast forward through twenty minutes of Leonard Maltin and George Lucas having an incredibly boring conversation in a black featureless void?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Remember being a kid and having the tape scream at you before having to fast forward through twenty minutes of Leonard Maltin and George Lucas having an incredibly boring conversation in a black featureless void?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlmy47a6uiQ

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I hate when you watch a DVD you haven't touched in 10+ years and find out it's not anamorphic. I need to get Reanimator on Bluray.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Boinks posted:

I hate when you watch a DVD you haven't touched in 10+ years and find out it's not anamorphic. I need to get Reanimator on Bluray.

It's especially vexing when it's a Criterion.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Boinks posted:

Is that when it’s blocky looking during fast action?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Alec Eiffel posted:

I think that's when a movie that's in widescreen is just compressed down into 4:3 with black bars on the top and bottom. When you play it on a 16:9 screen you basically see a tiny rectangle in the center of the screen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

The first of these isn't anamorphic, the second is. Easier to show than explain.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Anamorphic = the letterboxing is produced by the player and only appears if needed. Otherwise the picture fills the TV nicely. All the picture information is dedicated to the movie itself and not to the black bars.

Non-anamorphic = the letterboxing is a part of the picture information. The black bars are hard coded into the picture. This isn't so noticeable on a 4x3 TV but is AWFUL on a widescreen tv.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boinks posted:

the True Lies problem

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spatulater bro! posted:

Anamorphic = the letterboxing is produced by the player and only appears if needed. Otherwise the picture fills the TV nicely. All the picture information is dedicated to the movie itself and not to the black bars.

Non-anamorphic = the letterboxing is a part of the picture information. The black bars are hard coded into the picture. This isn't so noticeable on a 4x3 TV but is AWFUL on a widescreen tv.

Yeah but what does that have to do with kids who change into animals? :iiam:

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's especially vexing when it's a Criterion.

Criterion weirdly stuck to non-anamorphic for a looong time. I've no idea why.

Vince MechMahon posted:

The first of these isn't anamorphic, the second is. Easier to show than explain.

Here's a more thorough explanation for the curious: http://ifuhavetoask.blogspot.com/2007/07/anamorphic-widescreen-how-do-i-get-best.html

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I have to assume everybody realizes that every tv ever made allows you to zoom in the picture so you’re not watching a postage stamp.

The issue is that non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs significantly cut down on the already meager resolution of the disk, so you’re basically watching a 240p video on a screen size that is probably way bigger than what was normal back in the DVD days.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Recently I’ve been watching some Disney DVDs using a BR player and a 4K non-HDR tv and all the character movements become a series of pixelated lines or blocks. It’s annoying and making me consider upgrading.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah but what does that have to do with kids who change into animals? :iiam:

Not sure, I was a Goosebumps kid :smug:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dial Code Santa Claus was pretty great and worth the blind buy. look spectacular in 4K, though I've never seen a standard or even 1080p copy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david_a posted:

I have to assume everybody realizes that every tv ever made allows you to zoom in the picture so you’re not watching a postage stamp.

The issue is that non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs significantly cut down on the already meager resolution of the disk, so you’re basically watching a 240p video on a screen size that is probably way bigger than what was normal back in the DVD days.

One of the TVs in my house won't let me change the aspect ratio for some reason. It's only an issue on DVDs though. If you watch a blu-ray it will properly display. But forget watching anything on DVD if it's not a 1.85:1 ratio. It's supposed to be adjustable but for whatever reason when you go into the menu it doesn't let you select that feature. The ratio button on the remote doesn't change anything either despite that the screen saying it does. It's really annoying.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dorium posted:

Dial Code Santa Claus was pretty great and worth the blind buy. look spectacular in 4K, though I've never seen a standard or even 1080p copy.

Mine is here Monday. I'm hyped.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

david_a posted:

My TV has that option buried somewhere in the settings, I guess. My blu ray player can stretch the image but not crop or zoom. And VLC on my PC can crop and/or zoom but like you said, the resolution is loving awful and looks sub-VCR quality on a 50" 4K TV.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vince MechMahon posted:

Mine is here Monday. I'm hyped.

I got my Vin Syn haul on Saturday, I'm sitting on Dial Code Santa Claus until after Thanksgiving, when the Christmas season should start :colbert:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

I got my Vin Syn haul on Saturday, I'm sitting on Dial Code Santa Claus until after Thanksgiving, when the Christmas season should start :colbert:

I got it during the Halloween marathon and counted it as such :colbert:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Knives Out steelbook is back. Maybe they made a fresh batch? Idk. It’s full price right now but should be on discount on BF. I bought it anyway because I’ll hope to get the discount later, but I’ve been waiting for this forever. I kept it on my Saved list for months and it never disappeared in the way I associate with “never coming back.”

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/knives...p?skuId=6395105

Supposed to be $15 on BF

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So far I've only watched the first one but Back to the Future on UHD was excellent. Definitely grainy but in a good way, it feels like a movie shot in the 80s but it's very very consistent and you don't get any of that noisy inconsistent grain outside of maybe one of two specific shots. It's one of those UHDs where you get the best of both worlds, it's very clean and consistent but without being DNR'd to hell and back.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

Knives Out steelbook is back. Maybe they made a fresh batch? Idk. It’s full price right now but should be on discount on BF. I bought it anyway because I’ll hope to get the discount later, but I’ve been waiting for this forever. I kept it on my Saved list for months and it never disappeared in the way I associate with “never coming back.”

Supposed to be $15 on BF

That seems to happen a lot. Jaws steelbook showed back up for $15 and in stock at both my locals the day after I bought one on eBay. I’ve seen the same happen with Beetlejuice, Goonies, Gremlins and 1917 so don’t give up even if it says “sold out”.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

tonedef131 posted:

That seems to happen a lot. Jaws steelbook showed back up for $15 and in stock at both my locals the day after I bought one on eBay. I’ve seen the same happen with Beetlejuice, Goonies, Gremlins and 1917 so don’t give up even if it says “sold out”.

It also makes it really funny after all kinds of people are falling all over themselves to pay over a hundred dollars for the thing on ebay.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Oh and the Mad Men collection has the worst goddamn packaging in my life. Insane that they thought it was a good idea.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Oh and the Mad Men collection has the worst goddamn packaging in my life. Insane that they thought it was a good idea.

Can’t be worse than the Kids in the Hall box set from Mill Creek

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Sounds a lot like the Deadwood complete series DVD set I got from Best Buy back in the day. Best part was one of the discs was missing - HBO and BB both said "take it up with them."

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Unmature posted:

Can’t be worse than the Kids in the Hall box set from Mill Creek

It’s an awful cardboard monstrosity that requires you to put your fingers on the disc to pull it out. Maybe I’m missing the trick, but it’s gross.

For Mill Creek, I’m thinking of ordering replacement cases for my 30 Rock set, the middle holder component is messed up big time for almost all of em. No grip!

Which reminds me, anyone used Casetopia before?

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Supposed to be $15 on BF

I've noticed this happening over the last few years. The "limited edition" steel book coming back in time for black friday. I remember seeing it as far back as 2016 with Logan and maybe even before that. This is why I didn't buy this one back when it came out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

It’s an awful cardboard monstrosity that requires you to put your fingers on the disc to pull it out. Maybe I’m missing the trick, but it’s gross.

That's what the Alien blu-ray set is like. It's terrible.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Early Christmas gift to myself came in today

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Can't go wrong with cult music.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Odd question but is there any UHD player with the ability to downmix surround down to stereo?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

King Vidiot posted:

I feel like you just invited biker demons into your life because that's definitely how you get biker demons (on lsd)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Steelbook deals are live on BestBuy.com. Already have my $15 Knives Out ready for pickup.

Oh and they’re already matching some 4K deals from Amazon on the site. Full Metal Jacket UHD for $9.99!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 5, 2020

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ChazTurbo posted:

Odd question but is there any UHD player with the ability to downmix surround down to stereo?

Wouldn't your TV or receiver just do that for you?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of UHD players, I’m looking to get a 4K TV on Black Friday, can anyone recommend me a 4K player to go with it?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of UHD players, I’m looking to get a 4K TV on Black Friday, can anyone recommend me a 4K player to go with it?

An Xbox one S is still a good value. If you like games, you can get one with a year of GamePass and it’s about the price of a standalone player.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve got a regular Xbox One with GamePass, is the Xbox One S the upgrade? I didn’t know that played UHD discs.

Edit— do you mean the Xbox One X? It doesn’t seem like the S can play 4K stuff.

Edit again— i was mistaken

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve got a regular Xbox One with GamePass, is the Xbox One S the upgrade?

Does it have a stupid name that makes no sense and could be confused for several other consoles? Then it's probably an Xbox upgrade.