Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wild T posted:

Turok was fun just for the simple gonzo tone as well. The arsenal is gigantic and a lot of fun to use, and where most games would have a simple BFG equivalent they manage to put in like two or three. Then even among the big arsenal you get alternate ammo types and things like that. I'm pretty sure it was one of, if not the biggest arsenal in an FPS at the time.

Turok 2's arsenal was so big the radial menu had a second page and they still had to double up on slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Rob Rockley posted:

I have heard that Turok 2 doesn’t actually run well on switch due to engine issues so be warned.

First I'm hearing of this, and I made the Switch port. Don't believe everything you read online.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

First I'm hearing of this, and I made the Switch port. Don't believe everything you read online.

Loved the ports, but still waiting for Turok 3. It was one of the first shooters I played and it felt SO impossible big and impressive to eight year old me. Did it age well, or is this a game which is best left to memory?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Loved the ports, but still waiting for Turok 3. It was one of the first shooters I played and it felt SO impossible big and impressive to eight year old me. Did it age well, or is this a game which is best left to memory?

Turok 3 was not good even at the time mostly due to the N64 not being able to handle it so I'm quite excited to see a port for it.

The cutscenes are extremely impressive for N64.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Loved the ports, but still waiting for Turok 3. It was one of the first shooters I played and it felt SO impossible big and impressive to eight year old me.

Stop making me feel so old! I was your age when Doom came out.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Turok 3 was not good even at the time mostly due to the N64 not being able to handle it so I'm quite excited to see a port for it.

The cutscenes are extremely impressive for N64.

Yeah, Turok 3's main problem is it was building off of Turok 2 which already struggled on the N64 as is, it really was the wrong fit for the hardware. If we were to do Turok 3 now it would probably get a substantial overhaul.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

How is Megaman 8 Bit Deathmatch v6? Does the increased danage on most weapons make people less spongey?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
  • The Quake Level Design Starter Kit gathers up all the good tools to get you up and running and shoving brushes all up in places.
  • UMG's copyright robots have been knocking Quake videos off of YouTube and the like for using the Quake soundtrack they recently handled the vinyl for. If you want to avoid any problems while that gets sorted out, The Alternate Quake Music Pack assembles artisanal, farm-grown creepy ambience by various Quake modders who have no particular interest in loving with you.
  • The Zombies Ate My Neighbours TC has updated to have four new levels and be standalone, along with an alternate soundtrack of the requisite metal covers.
  • GZPT is an accurate demake of the famous "lost" PS3 demo P.T... Grab it before it inevitably gets C&Ded!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rocket Pan posted:

Yeah, Turok 3's main problem is it was building off of Turok 2 which already struggled on the N64 as is, it really was the wrong fit for the hardware. If we were to do Turok 3 now it would probably get a substantial overhaul.

Hope you guys do. Even as a kid that didn’t know what framerates were, I couldn’t stand how choppy it was.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Rocket Pan posted:

[RUMOR] Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion to receive 'substantial overhaul' for Nightdive Studios' upcoming PC remaster

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

DisDisDis posted:

Coming from marathon and playing shmups I thought of Doom as having "lovely ice physics" for the first 40 hours. Now I appreciate it in context of doom's gameplay but I wouldn't want most games to have Doom ice physics

Now if every fps had CPM movement then we'd be cooking
Yeah, to be honest that Twitter thread just reads like "I grew up with these physics, therefore any deviation from them is bad". I've ultimately come to accept Doom's movement as working for the kind of game that it is, but it's definitely not universally synonymous with "good movement" or something that should be considered a recommended default.

You can even see the limitations within Doom itself when wads try to do platforming or bullet hell poo poo. Weaving through dense mazes of spread-fire projectiles is cool and good in games with more precise controls, but immediately becomes obnoxious when you're slip slidin' away like you're on Cool, Cool Mountain.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1322455338998620161

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
  • GZDoom 4.5.0 is out. For players, it adds a simplified options menu, a easy button to quickly set WASD default binds, and nice widescreen versions of all the full-screen Doom art. For modders, it removes SNDSEQ limits, adds scaling and rotation functions for 2D graphics like weapons and menus, and the usual minor tweaks, fixes and additions.
  • Similarly, Raze 0.7.3 has been released with various fixes and such.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Dang, doesn't support Fresh Supply. These look really nice

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

That's good to hear, it was supposedly something about the two Turok games being rendered differently but good to know there's no problem and I've added that back in for clarification. The PC port of Turok 2 which I played is very solid, and I definitely recommend picking 1 or both up since they're just fabulous old games.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Kins posted:

[list]
[*]adds scaling and rotation functions for 2D graphics like weapons and menus,

This sounds kinda a big thing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/DoomerDev/status/1306353685556011008

SuDoom51

Doomhopper

lol

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"There's always time for fun. It's Friday Night"
"Let's rip and tear"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just finished Blood Death Wish. Yeah, it's the best Build game, that's kind of obvious. It's so good I almost want to say it would have traded some blows with HL1 if this would have been the real campaign (including the made to order tweaks) instead of the original campaign, but of course, I'm deluding myself, HL1 was in a 3d engine and 2.5D fps where on their way out, and even had new fancy features like skeletal animation, more immersion in how they divided up the levels, etc.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I just finished Blood Death Wish. Yeah, it's the best Build game, that's kind of obvious. It's so good I almost want to say it would have traded some blows with HL1 if this would have been the real campaign (including the made to order tweaks) instead of the original campaign, but of course, I'm deluding myself, HL1 was in a 3d engine and 2.5D fps where on their way out, and even had new fancy features like skeletal animation, more immersion in how they divided up the levels, etc.

I just finished it today, too. Truly a masterful use of the tools to make something that, imo, is often better than the original game. The color palette kind of wore me down in the less-gimmicky levels but that's just Blood.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is there any reason why Q2Pro's video settings suck so much? I tried Yamagi Q2 but it's not made for multiplayer.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

New maps from Ribbiks and Grain of Salt for halloween! Ribbiks has uncovered some new technology for boom and it's evil as hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lqz-EgIMiI

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Awesome! Here's a couple of other things that have landed in the last day or so:
  • Ascent of Titan is a GZDoom episode put together for NaNoWADMo.
  • Bond of Hatred is a new Episode 4-style Boom map by long-time mapper Chris "Not That Chris Hansen" Hansen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is “Boom?” Is that another source port for Doom?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

chaosapiant posted:

Yes, but its also used to denote wads that require a port that has limit removing features which Boom pioneered. "Boom-compatible" maps don't need to be run on Boom specifically since most ports have integrated all its features.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

It was one of the earlier source ports, introducing various new mapping features like conveyer belts, and it's a popular mapping standard that most modern source ports support.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

To add, Boom is a kind of map format and standard, but is unique in that unlike other map formats, it only expanded on Doom's vanilla format (using up the remaining free bits) rather than making a new one. This made it very easy to adopt for map editors, and to a degree didn't even require an editor to be updated to technically support it.
There's a few other non mapping things it does as well that prboom+ and Eternity fully support (ZDoom is missing transparency mapping and every once in a while someone finds a combination of behaviour that breaks in ZDoom only).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dave Oshry retweeted this looks neat.

https://twitter.com/mattlawrdev/status/1321829149783302146?s=20

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Kins posted:

Awesome! Here's a couple of other things that have landed in the last day or so:
  • Ascent of Titan is a GZDoom episode put together for NaNoWADMo.
  • Bond of Hatred is a new Episode 4-style Boom map by long-time mapper Chris "Not That Chris Hansen" Hansen.

What's NaNoWADMo?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Might be like NaNoWriMo (national novel writing month) and you have to put a WAD or episode together in a month.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Might be like NaNoWriMo (national novel writing month) and you have to put a WAD or episode together in a month.
Yeah, it's a pun on NaNoWriMo, where you spend a month to get some poo poo done or potentially even finish a thing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New Age of Hell update
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BothFlashyAlpaca-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DrearyGeneralErin-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MemorableSillyHyracotherium-mobile.mp4

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

So I recently got Dusk on Steam and it worked fine for one day, but on the next day it wouldn't start anymore (the process is there in the task manager but no window is created). Uninstalling/reinstalling/verifying files doesn't help.
Just to tease me, Duskworld and the included alpha/demos work just fine.
According to Google nobody seems to have this exact issue, so I suspect something wrong on my end. Specifically I suspect Unity is cock-blocking itself, since at the same time I also bought "Cold Waters", which also runs on Unity.

Does Steam keep some common Unity files somewhere outside the game's folder, so that 2 games using Unity could create conflicts?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dusk recently had a major update, do the times work out for before/after the update?

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

al-azad posted:

Dusk recently had a major update, do the times work out for before/after the update?

Both. I bought it a month ago, but hoped the Halloween update might fix it somehow, but it's still the same.
Also, uninstalling "Cold Waters" doesn't help.

Does Dusk create a log file somewhere that might tell what it's struggling with?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
who is brave enough to ask randy pitchford for dnf 98-03 if biden wins

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If I was president I would nationalize Duke Nukem and release it. Vote for me 2028 (or 2024 if the worst guy wins).

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
only if you make it public domain as well

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

In the good timeline trailer DNF was an actual game that was released to wide acclaim in 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
in the good timeline, we're all complaining about the 2nd duke nukem reboot where they recast jon st. john with john cena because of the netflix series coming out