Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Looks like it'll be fine

You say that after almost rolling “666” in just five rolls?? :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I’m on the edge
of a gas line
And there’ll be no more fracking for you.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I asked if those votes mattered in the sense of whether that district was a safe one or not. A district where 99% people vote Democratic and it’s a shoe-in for the democratic candidate can “afford” to have 100k votes tossed out. Not saying that it should happen and of course I understand there are down ballot repercussions.

My second question is if the judge says “yes you can toss out all curbside voted ballots” then does it set a precedent for every other Republican judge to do the same, tossing out all democratic votes?

Biden has a chance at winning Texas. If he does it will be very close. These 100k votes could absolutely make the difference in who wins Texas. For the local races the district leans heavily dem so it would likely have less effect.

Edit: To be clear, who wins Texas (and other states within those states) is based on a popular vote. It's not like a mini-electoral college where each district gets one elector or whatever. This definitely could make a big difference.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 2, 2020

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. They won't stop him going anywhere he wants.

If, hypothetically, he does abscond to Russia and declare he's some government in exile, I suspect his federal protection would come home.

Well USSS wouldn’t be handling his protection anymore, it would likely be either the CIA or NSA taking over and it would be a purely covert operation.

Like I have said before there are plenty of people and/or nation states that would love to kill him and the Russians aren’t going to take his security that seriously because if he is killed it is still a win for them as everyone on the planet will be convinced that we did it or there will be plenty of propaganda saying we did.

For example let’s says Iran kills him in Russia. We can claim with all the evidence in the world that we had no part and Iran did it. We have very little credibility in the world from the last 25 years. You would have the Iranians denying they were involved and a ton of propaganda from multiple entities sowing disinformation about it to muddy the truth even more.

Hell Russia can use their useful idiot one more time to sow more discord in the US as they can push some wackjob idea like Biden/Harris/Obama/whomever actually had Trump killed to hurt the right.

I wish this was all unrealistic science fiction but it is so easy to see how it would happen now it is quite scary.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

pthighs posted:

What a perfect illustration of living inside an insane bubble. I mean, people certainly thought Hillary was going to win, and early on we assumed a landslide. But by the end objective reality showed it would be somewhat close, even if she was still probably going to win.

Trump has precisely 0% chance of winning in a landslide. How do you run a country when so many citizens live in an alternate reality?

And how do we deal with those people when their bubble pops?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
The extra fun thing is that Nate has Biden at 90% for an ELECTORAL COLLEGE win. If you look at the extra stats down the page, you can see that this is coming from a 97% chance for him to win the popular vote, minus a 7% chance that he wins the popular vote but loses the EC.

Gerrymander? Never heard of 'er.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FizFashizzle posted:

In Gamechange, Sarah Palin wanted to give a concession speech because she (rightly) thought she was more popular with the base than McCain.

Steve Schmidt had to basically tell her to get hosed, that's not how they did things and that this was bigger than her.

Does anyone believe there's someone like that around Donald Trump right now?

This is going to come down to Fox News getting "reasonable" republicans on air and Jack temporarily shutting down his twitter.

i think it depends on what "trump" comes out if he loses. if he is shook low enegy shook trump than he will mumble some threats and poo poo and than slink off to the bunker or Florida or such. if its high enegery angry trump. we will get full rage burn them all tantrum threats, empty or otherwise. i suspect if he goes to far, his twitter is gone. the "smart" GOP ghouls at fox will probably try to keep things calm but who knows.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Djarum posted:

Well USSS wouldn’t be handling his protection anymore, it would likely be either the CIA or NSA taking over and it would be a purely covert operation.

Like I have said before there are plenty of people and/or nation states that would love to kill him and the Russians aren’t going to take his security that seriously because if he is killed it is still a win for them as everyone on the planet will be convinced that we did it or there will be plenty of propaganda saying we did.

For example let’s says Iran kills him in Russia. We can claim with all the evidence in the world that we had no part and Iran did it. We have very little credibility in the world from the last 25 years. You would have the Iranians denying they were involved and a ton of propaganda from multiple entities sowing disinformation about it to muddy the truth even more.

Hell Russia can use their useful idiot one more time to sow more discord in the US as they can push some wackjob idea like Biden/Harris/Obama/whomever actually had Trump killed to hurt the right.

I wish this was all unrealistic science fiction but it is so easy to see how it would happen now it is quite scary.

Considering how disgruntled the CIA and NSA are under Trump, I wouldn't be surprised if they encouraged action against him rather than protect him.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Meatball posted:

No way trump lets any of Biden's team into the whitehouse. Paperwork delays for badges for people, unresponsive when requests for info are made. They'll be lucky if trump doesn't just bar the gate.

The transition is a legally mandated process, and Trump’s admin has already signed the agreements that would give Biden’s team access. Which isn’t to say Trump won’t gently caress around, just that he hasn’t yet.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So if Turmp loses are all the headlines and chyrons going to be YOU'RE FIRED!?

Also tomorrow is my birthday. Sucks that its going to be so nerve wracking.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ErnestScheyder/status/1323322181628137474

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think it depends on what "trump" comes out if he loses. if he is shook low enegy shook trump than he will mumble some threats and poo poo and than slink off to the bunker or Florida or such. if its high enegery angry trump. we will get full rage burn them all tantrum threats, empty or otherwise. i suspect if he goes to far, his twitter is gone. the "smart" GOP ghouls at fox will probably try to keep things calm but who knows.

It depends how much steroid speed he's still on from his bout with COVID or if they've started weaning him off that yet.

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered

isaboo posted:

So if Turmp loses are all the headlines and chyrons going to be YOU'RE FIRED!?

Also tomorrow is my birthday. Sucks that its going to be so nerve wracking.

sup fellow November 3rd birthday person. I've had people tell me that it would be hilarious/lovely if Trump wins another term on my birthday and I am slowly accepting the statistical probability that while it is a possibility, it is very unlikely.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

The way we banning fracking here
will make the planet safer
make the country greater
Save the world for later
If we keep drilling more for oil will make it a disaster
We'll save the planet faster
Renewables are the answer

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wanna frack them like they do in Texas please,
Frack em, let me pack the courts, baby vote for me

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ratspeaker posted:

The extra fun thing is that Nate has Biden at 90% for an ELECTORAL COLLEGE win. If you look at the extra stats down the page, you can see that this is coming from a 97% chance for him to win the popular vote, minus a 7% chance that he wins the popular vote but loses the EC.

Yeah it's a sad state of affairs, but I am pretty much in agreement with Dave Wasserman on this point. If Biden wins the popular vote by 3% or less (like last time), it is quite likely that the electoral college will give Trump the win. If Biden wins by greater than 3% as basically every poll suggests he will, his victory should be fairly certain.

Since the Republicans and Trump operate purely on projection, what are the odds they haven't stuffed the mail in vote with millions of illegal ballots for Trump? I think it's at the point where not even the courts will "give" him the election, he will need to actively cheat the ballots to win.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Honestly, given the demographics of who owns cars vs who doesn't, I'm a bit surprised that drive through voting isn't something that generally favors Republicans. Maybe in a normal year, it would.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

Ratspeaker posted:

I don't think gerrymandering really has anything to do with the discrepancy between those two results unless you are talking about state legislators taking matters into their own hands to challenge or overturn statewide numbers.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1323314067575111681?s=21

This might be a bit obscure, but Trump’s attitude to Twitter makes me think of the Roman emperor Honorius who executed the general Stilicho after the latter had spent many years ensuring that Honorius could remain at his seat as western emperor.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Trump's final messages:

Lady Gaga will ban fracking
I could beat up Biden
No one's going to vote for me cause I'm down in the polls
It's super cool that one of you guys tried to ram a Biden bus off the road
Hillary's e-mails
Obama

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1322969722875502593

https://www.statesman.com/news/20201101/texas-court-rejects-bid-to-toss-127000-harris-county-votes-but-fight-isnrsquot-over

edit: I have been owned by tweet dates.

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 2, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That is from yesterday and today is the currently-ongoing appellate hearing correct?

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

This is why play by play of oral arguments by journalists is dumb and silly. This does nothing to inform anyone, has no context, and just further adds fuel to "gently caress lawyers lol."

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

This is yesterday's state court ruling, today the case is in federal court.

Beaten of course, but still: check datestamps on tweets, folks.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
https://www.newyorker.com/news/us-journal/will-trumps-broken-promises-to-working-class-voters-cost-him-the-election

I haven't seen this article posted yet (if you haven't used up your free New Yorker articles this month), but it's a good read. It does a good job summarizing how both parties have largely abandoned organized labor, but Trump made inroads by talking a good game (even if he didn't follow through in actual policy). It's got some good details on manufacturing issues and tariffs if it's something that you aren't very familiar with. It also makes me somewhat hopeful in that most of the people in the article seem to have realized that.

It really brings home how deep a problem the death of manufacturing is. People in that industry are understandably angry, but I don't think there's anything we could do to bring it back even if we had the political will, I think it's just gone, and with it the path to solid middle class life non-college people had available to them.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

It's looking good for the Democrats all across the board. There's always going to be a few surprises, but nothing that should affect the House outcome. If everything breaks the way it should, even the Senate will flip. Biden is almost assured of winning the popular vote, no matter what. 538 has Biden up by 9% nationally, that is effectively a blowout of historical proportions. Of course things can radically change on election day when all of those undecideds and independents finally become decided. Many those always lean Republican and in states like Iowa, Michigan and Ohio it could be the tipping point from a lean-D to an R-win. The real worry among Democratic pollsters is that their internal polling may be completely off and fear a last-second electorate just gaming them and pulling a reversal at the ballot box. Cautiously optimistic is the feeling and are trying hard to make sure that every single vote for them actually gets in, it would be the difference between a win and a loss.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

smoobles posted:

I wanna frack them like they do in Texas please,
Frack em, let me pack the courts, baby vote for me

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Probably because they can't be sure they're not all Dem votes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

To put the level of extra uncertainty in the model in context, the economist model gives Biden a 96% chance. That’s the model that Silver thinks understates uncertainty.

(edit: I don't know enough to know who is right - just that it appears the range of reasonable results is between 90-96% certainty that Biden will win)*

* edit edit: it should be noted that neither model seeks to predict winning by extra-legal means such as having the supreme court shred votes

Silver’s model is heavily discounting geographic correlations and adds several extra uncertainty fudge terms over Morris’ model. They both have to deal with the fact that there are several factors at play that just don’t have data or reasonable methods of accurate modeling. All said, I think Morris/Gelman have the better model, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it will turn out to be closer to what actually happens...

Personally I’m just calling it 50/50 until the packed SCOTUS sings.

They also have to argue that it actually violates Texas election law, which explicitly allows for curbside pickup if there is risk of serious physical injury if then voter is required to enter the premises. It sounds like the judge is a chud who might rule against that, but in a sane court it would be a slam dunk.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 2, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grayly Squirrel posted:

This is why play by play of oral arguments by journalists is dumb and silly. This does nothing to inform anyone, has no context, and just further adds fuel to "gently caress lawyers lol."

nah it owns sorry

the context of it would be whether or not the temporary tents that the BOE erected to serve as de factro voting booths were consistent with code

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grondoth posted:

Trump's final messages:

Lady Gaga will ban fracking
I could beat up Biden
No one's going to vote for me cause I'm down in the polls
It's super cool that one of you guys tried to ram a Biden bus off the road
Hillary's e-mails
Obama

this whole thing feels like the endgame it is. to make a comparison that i heard, it's like the scene in "Thrones" when Littlefinger runs out of schemes and slowly realizes he's about to die and no one will save him. trump doesn't know how to act outside his own nature, he can only do the same stupid motions and hope people buy into it again because he doesn't realize why he won and how nixon won.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rincewinds posted:

drat it, Dick.

Is this a Vice quote about dick cheney shooting that guy

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
And here I thought former presidents were only titled to 10 years of Secret Service protection after their term/s because of that law passed back in 1994 or so, but apparently Obama signed a law in 2012 that reversed that, so they're back to lifetime protection?

And Nixon is apparently the only one to relinquish that protection, so there's precedent for shithead presidents in that case :v:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Didn't know Lady Gaga was Joe's true VP pick

(be a lot cooler if she was though)

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

TwoQuestions posted:

Previously I was thinking the GOP was too incompetent to execute something like this, but now it's looking like they're getting their act together.

How much violence should we expect on Election Day? I very much doubt it will significantly impact the election though.

I'm not worried about Election Day violence. Or at the very least it doesn't play much into their strategy because they expect their base to show up election day after months of being told how bad mail-in ballots are and that Covid isn't a big deal. I am still worried about poo poo being started in solid blue districts, but election day might be the one day the police feel obligated to stop the blockade parade. But the days after are another story.

Their strategy is basically a national version for Florida 2000, only instead of a recount, it's a count of all mail-in ballots that they're aiming to disrupt while court cases wind through to invalidate them. At that point the endgame is to delay the counting long enough that courts can halt the recount before anyone knows what the outcome is, or trying to force the states to certify an incomplete result. My chief worry is a blockade of Trump supporters preventing ballot counters from showing up in the ensuing days that the cops oddly enough don't feel the need to stop. Or ballot counters "protested" (read: intimidated) until the only ones showing up are Trumpers and a ballot for Biden can be rejected for any number of bullshit reasons ("signature didn't look exact enough for me").

Early voting totals are at 66% of the 2016 ballot total; some don't start counting until the day after. Unless Trump gets soundly beaten on election day proper (which, given the above reasons, isn't likely) the real shitshow is going to start the day after because the advance/mail-in ballots are the decider here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Antifa and Soros strike again!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bobjr posted:

My dad is telling me a lot of his republican supporting workers are taking tomorrow off to celebrate, as they think it’s going to be a landslide Trump win.

It really is 2016 with that group but the shoe is on the other foot.

Are they, uh, aware that they won't hear any results until after they get off work anyway

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this whole thing feels like the endgame it is. to make a comparison that i heard, it's like the scene in "Thrones" when Littlefinger runs out of schemes and slowly realizes he's about to die and no one will save him. trump doesn't know how to act outside his own nature, he can only do the same stupid motions and hope people buy into it again because he doesn't realize why he won and how nixon won.

That was really a sudden reversal.

This is a creeping doom thats been coming for four years: Trump's position as President is unassailable until he faces reelection, since impeachment requires 2/3rds of the senate. We're at that moment and until now all he's faced has been at most a setback and we're used to him wriggling out of situations or just powering through on the basis of his executive authority. Everyone is so used to him escaping consequences, including himself, that we're fixated on the few ways he can win, no matter how unlikely.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Data Graham posted:

Are they, uh, aware that they won't hear any results until after they get off work anyway

That isn't going to stop them from being two cases of light beer in by the time the results start coming in.

Of course, we won't really know the results until days later, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Also like Littlefinger, Trump mostly seeks power so that he can molest teenage girls