Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

education =/= intelligence

edit: worst page snipe ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

nah, I'm okay with it.

perfectly encapsulates this topic

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Yes, love a medium where I have to specifically master my bass so the object physically reading the sounds off the surface doesn't bounce out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The graceful flow of the needle is what gives it the liquidity.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Yes, love a medium where I have to specifically master my bass so the object physically reading the sounds off the surface doesn't bounce out.

So you're saying you had to...

Drop the bass?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

iospace posted:

So you're saying you had to...

Drop the bass?

I can't report your post so please give yourself a sixer :mad:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the SNR on a vinyl is around what 50-60db?
LOL

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
e: wrong thread

Spermando fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 4, 2020

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Had an engineer tell me with a straight face that CD quality (16bit/44.1kHz) music is very audibly worse than 32-bit vinyl FLAC rips.

Nice long chat with that bloke about the limitations of humans and him being a loving idiot.

I mean if you're looking for a less overcompressed sound specifically from tracks mastered in the loudness era ok whatever but like...

you called him a loving idiot ?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Had an engineer tell me with a straight face that CD quality (16bit/44.1kHz) music is very audibly worse than 32-bit vinyl FLAC rips.

Nice long chat with that bloke about the limitations of humans and him being a loving idiot.

I mean if you're looking for a less overcompressed sound specifically from tracks mastered in the loudness era ok whatever but like...

Did the phrase "Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem" come up a lot?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've always said that the best quality is a digital FLAC file. I like the sound of vinyl, but it's a different sound. And I really like the sound of minidisc which I've gotten back into it, and that's compressed to hell and back but it still has a nice quality to it. Hell even cassette can sound great too.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you can't afford a live-in orchestra you don't deserve music.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

redeyes posted:

the SNR on a vinyl is around what 50-60db?
LOL

If I recall correctly, Paul Klipsch believed that this was why some people preferred vinyl playback over digital. Not because it was better, but because the added noise was more reminiscent of how live music is experienced.

I haven't managed to find the interview/article where I read that, but if I do manage to come across it, I'll post it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The audiophile trap isn't preferring analog sound like vinyl or tube amps, it's having to whole-heartedly believe that it is 100% objectively superior because you sank the price of a nice Porsche or not-nice house into your system. "I like analog sound" isn't audiophile, "analog sound is a more pure representation of musical performance" totally is.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Crime on a Dime posted:

you called him a loving idiot ?

more like "We're never going to see eye to eye on this one"

Bargearse posted:

Did the phrase "Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem" come up a lot?

He maintained that all humans can hear up to 22kHz at all ages, and there's no benefit to high/low pass filters.

You can imagine there wasn't really a whole lot they understood about compression, anatomy, or even the basics behind sampling

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You see the ear canal is still shaped in a way that allows those frequencies to reach the eardrum :eng101: What do you mean "google cochlea"?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

More or less. He linked me this... thing which I have no doubt is peppered with wildly misunderstood information, but I refuse to read

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

What's it with insane people and walls of text?

The right answer to your friend here is a squint of the eye and a "you're a loving moron".

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

qirex posted:

The audiophile trap isn't preferring analog sound like vinyl or tube amps, it's having to whole-heartedly believe that it is 100% objectively superior because you sank the price of a nice Porsche or not-nice house into your system. "I like analog sound" isn't audiophile, "analog sound is a more pure representation of musical performance" totally is.

I can't fault this statement at all. Unfortunately, many manufacturers have forgotten about the former and price things solely in the pursuit of the latter.

He maintained that all humans can hear up to 22kHz at all ages, and there's no benefit to high/low pass filters.

At 33 I still could. At 40 I've lost it. I drop out at around 18.5 kHz now and have tinnitus, and it's only going to get worse.

But ya, those are some interesting opinions.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Not a friend, but someone I should be nice to because he's a human and humans are imperfect and we're all idiotic in certain ways. For example, I choose to care about people being wrong about this!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

TheMadMilkman posted:

At 33 I still could. At 40 I've lost it. I drop out at around 18.5 kHz now and have tinnitus, and it's only going to get worse.

I could still hear up to just over 21khz two years ago, but I had a hearing test last month and I'm down to 18-18.5khz as well. Early high-range hearing loss runs in my Dad's side of the family, hence the regular tests. drat YOU, TINY EAR CANALS! :argh:

No tinnitus, though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Time for a nice ear-augering. All the rage among audiophile medical tourists.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

High freqs are annoying anyway, maybe I should get ear canal reduction surgery

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

TheMadMilkman posted:

I can't fault this statement at all. Unfortunately, many manufacturers have forgotten about the former and price things solely in the pursuit of the latter.

But ya, those are some interesting opinions.

This is me. At 45 and with constant low-grade tinnitus with bouts of "shut out the world and listen to this siren" tinnitus.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

taqueso posted:

High freqs are annoying anyway, maybe I should get ear canal reduction surgery

If anyone feels the opposite of this, Victorian ear trumpets are back:

https://www.flareaudio.com/pages/earhd

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’m waiting on Ear4k personally.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015

I mean, in some cases (lovely masturbatory CD mastering from the peak of the loudness war) it could be better if you ignored the surface noise and clicks and pops.

In these cases, it would stiil sound audibly better at 16/44 or probably even in reasonably high bitrate lossy in a modern enough format using a decent enough encoder (with a surprisingly low bar on the last 3 there, 128 kbps-ish mp3 can be surprisingly good using encoders from ~15 years ago).

For me, I'll take my spotify, or (to really make audiophool heads explode) my Grateful Dead bootlegs encoded at 96 kbps opus on the go.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Atom™️ aka Uwe Schmidt has done a really good job of providing all the releases he has the masters for, which appears to be most of his poo poo, in the highest possible quality on bandcamp. some of it is unnecessarily hi fidelity but it is legit and not taken from CD.

https://atomtm.bandcamp.com

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlZZeCZsbM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5phbHe4k1r8

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Crime on a Dime posted:

Atom™️ aka Uwe Schmidt has done a really good job of providing all the releases he has the masters for, which appears to be most of his poo poo, in the highest possible quality on bandcamp. some of it is unnecessarily hi fidelity but it is legit and not taken from CD.

https://atomtm.bandcamp.com

That is actually a feature of Bandcamp, they let artists upload stuff in stupid high def and then they fill-in the blanks with other formats. Also unlike say Beatport you don't pay extra for lossless.

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1256196652957757444

Bandcamp is fuckin sick and IMO is putting the likes of Beatport and Juno on-notice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bandcamp owns incredibly hard, I've been stung by beatport and the like not allowing downloads after the initial purchase. That Bandcamp let's me download anything I've bought at any time in a variety of formats is the best thing ever.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bandcamp is the best

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pile Of Garbage posted:

That is actually a feature of Bandcamp, they let artists upload stuff in stupid high def and then they fill-in the blanks with other formats. Also unlike say Beatport you don't pay extra for lossless.

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1256196652957757444

Bandcamp is fuckin sick and IMO is putting the likes of Beatport and Juno on-notice.

Also, no-one has ever heard of Beatport or Juno.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah that tweet was the first I've heard of either those sites whereas Bandcamp is everywhere.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've bought like one album on Beatport, and not being able to redownload it pissed me off so much that I'm never going to buy anything through them again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also, no-one has ever heard of Beatport or Juno.

njsykora posted:

Yeah that tweet was the first I've heard of either those sites whereas Bandcamp is everywhere.

Beatport is aimed at DJs and Juno is a UK site dealing in music and kit so probably has no real pull outside of it I'd imagine.

KozmoNaut posted:

I've bought like one album on Beatport, and not being able to redownload it pissed me off so much that I'm never going to buy anything through them again.

I believe you can re-download once more but I can't remember the process of doing so.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Unfortunately noone really had the energy to rebut so now he's got some poor goon shipping a heavy as gently caress old amp around the world so power supply dude can squeeze the liquidity out of it

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just can't motivate myself to engage with audiophiles or similar types anymore other than a quick post here and there. It's not worth it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Unfortunately noone really had the energy to rebut so now he's got some poor goon shipping a heavy as gently caress old amp around the world so power supply dude can squeeze the liquidity out of it

One guy did a couple days later and just got ignored. Also it turns out the guy making the claims is in the audio gear business.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I fell into audiophile Youtube a few days ago looking at headphone reviews and got to laugh at a guy saying if you didn't think having a heavy metal doorstop on your hifi setup improved the sound you were a science denier. At least he said it was a $10 doorstop and not a $150 'resonance damper'.