Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SpartanIvy posted:

Now I want to see Ryobi brand Velcro shoes

Problem is you need a 1" wide hole in your heel so the battery can fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

wesleywillis posted:

Someone needs to make Velcro fastened work boots. Problem is everyone on site would make fun of you. Kinda like the guy on the construction site with Ryobi tools.

I have a pair of velcro fastened motorcycle boots, and I was pretty sure when I bought them that they're wear out in like a season or two, but I've had them about 5 years now and they've held up really well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

wesleywillis posted:

Someone needs to make Velcro fastened work boots. Problem is everyone on site would make fun of you. Kinda like the guy on the construction site with Ryobi tools.

Don't side zippers on work boots serve the same purpose?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

It finally came! My 4 inch double square never gets put away, which constantly blows my mind because when buying it I kinda thought a 4 incher might not be real useful compared to a lot of other layout tools. Hoping this guy replaces it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Don't side zippers on work boots serve the same purpose?

You can also get lace-in zippers.

I kinda miss my FD work boots......

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

bobua posted:

It finally came! My 4 inch double square never gets put away, which constantly blows my mind because when buying it I kinda thought a 4 incher might not be real useful compared to a lot of other layout tools. Hoping this guy replaces it.

God, even if its not the most precision thing ever (I have no idea if it is or not, not talking poo poo) that thing is fuckin pretty.

canyoneer posted:

It's one way to be sure that nobody will steal them

My dad, me, and a couple of my brothers are going to pitch in to get my nephew, who is working his way to being an electrician, a drill and impact combo for Jesus day. When I talked to my other brother (nephew's dad) about it, he was all like "yeah I got the Ryobi stuff its pretty good", and I told him, "yeah thats some decent poo poo but if I get him that people on job sites might laugh at him, but at least they won't steal it from him". That comment based on what people have posted here in the past!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Will people make fun of me if I show up with WEN tools? Or will they just take pity on me

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Rutibex posted:

Will people make fun of me if I show up with WEN tools? Or will they just take pity on me

The stink of Chinesium should keep them curious. Until you start having to borrow tools while yours break.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The stink of Chinesium should keep them curious. Until you start having to borrow tools while yours break.

I have a WEN track saw, it has worked great for the ~15 cuts I've made with it in the last year. Even if it fries tomorrow I'd be happy with the purchase, better than spending $700 for something that sits on the shelf 99.99% of the time.

I know it's not realistic, but I wish there were cheap versions of even more specialty tools. I would happily roll the dice on a WEN pex expander or copper press tool.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bobua posted:

Oh wow, I’d not heard of woodpecker tools before! Neat!

Is that just a square or does it bevel like a stanley T square? Is knob at the bottom for fine adjustments?

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I have a WEN track saw, it has worked great for the ~15 cuts I've made with it in the last year. Even if it fries tomorrow I'd be happy with the purchase, better than spending $700 for something that sits on the shelf 99.99% of the time.

I know it's not realistic, but I wish there were cheap versions of even more specialty tools. I would happily roll the dice on a WEN pex expander or copper press tool.

Isn’t that basically what harbor freight is? Specialty tools at flea market prices? That being said, I don’t think I’d ever trust a crimp for a plumbing supply line to the cheapest poo poo I could find, the penalty for fuckups there is too high

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

OSU_Matthew posted:

Is that just a square or does it bevel like a stanley T square? Is knob at the bottom for fine adjustments?

Pretty sure it's a set bevel at 1:8, useful for marking out dovetails, etc. I think the interior knob must be a lock for the horizontal slide. That bottom piece I don't know, some kind of scribe?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

God, even if its not the most precision thing ever (I have no idea if it is or not, not talking poo poo) that thing is fuckin pretty.

My dad, me, and a couple of my brothers are going to pitch in to get my nephew, who is working his way to being an electrician, a drill and impact combo for Jesus day. When I talked to my other brother (nephew's dad) about it, he was all like "yeah I got the Ryobi stuff its pretty good", and I told him, "yeah thats some decent poo poo but if I get him that people on job sites might laugh at him, but at least they won't steal it from him". That comment based on what people have posted here in the past!

They'll steal it if they can, it's not junk. A noob journeyman showing up with brand new milwaukee tools is going to get as much scorn for a different reason, imo. Get him the kit with a flashlight and some 1" auger bits too.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Isn’t that basically what harbor freight is? Specialty tools at flea market prices? That being said, I don’t think I’d ever trust a crimp for a plumbing supply line to the cheapest poo poo I could find, the penalty for fuckups there is too high

Its like a double square but one side has a 1:8 dovetail angle. The button lets you quickly zero out or lock to a whole inch. the knob is just for locking, not fine adjustment. Sliding tab at the bottom keeps it square on the stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SaTjKTgAXQ

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Looks like they make these in batches and aren't available right now, but a non dovetail version is one of their regular products.

Do you find that you use all of the special making features pretty often? I really need to upgrade my making marking tools and this is looking pretty good.

edit: typo

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 3, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

I too have several making tools.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Looks like they make these in batches and aren't available right now, but a non dovetail version is one of their regular products.

Do you find that you use all of the special making features pretty often? I really need to upgrade my making marking tools and this is looking pretty good.

edit: typo

I ordered this thing like 6 months ago or something and it came last night, haven't had the chance to use it, so I can't speak definitively about how i will really use it, but my guess is that it will replace my double square in pretty much every situation and I'll absolutely love that bottom extendable tab. The rest I suspect will be nice but not a big deal.

I also have this real weird pet peeve about rust\oxides. Not the normal 'yeah, no one likes rust bobua' but this heebie jeebie feeling that just bothers me when I use something as handsy as a square and its corroded even a bit. On top of that, touching a piece of metal in my garage and not immediately oiling it will leave a rusty fingerprint within 24 hours, so woodpeckers anodized tools sing to me.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

You are a tool making tool. This is the way.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Mr. Mambold posted:

You are a tool making tool. This is the way.

:hai:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

Unmaking tools are fun too

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bobua posted:

I ordered this thing like 6 months ago or something and it came last night, haven't had the chance to use it, so I can't speak definitively about how i will really use it, but my guess is that it will replace my double square in pretty much every situation and I'll absolutely love that bottom extendable tab. The rest I suspect will be nice but not a big deal.

I also have this real weird pet peeve about rust\oxides. Not the normal 'yeah, no one likes rust bobua' but this heebie jeebie feeling that just bothers me when I use something as handsy as a square and its corroded even a bit. On top of that, touching a piece of metal in my garage and not immediately oiling it will leave a rusty fingerprint within 24 hours, so woodpeckers anodized tools sing to me.

You must live in a super humid place, that takes weeks to months where I'm at. I understand the fear though, I left a drill press and bandsaw in a veeeery light rain for a few minutes once while moving and the years old spotless cast iron was coated in rust the next day.

Those aluminum + stainless tools should work great for you. If you remember report back when you've had a chance to work with it a bit.

No joke making tools to make things might be my favorite part of shop time. I think I enjoy it more than actually making the end products.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have a home depot 15% coupon that expires today and I'm overwhelmed by possibilities! I'm sorely tempted by the Wen track saw, reviews make it seem like it doesn't suck?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NomNomNom posted:

I have a home depot 15% coupon that expires today and I'm overwhelmed by possibilities! I'm sorely tempted by the Wen track saw, reviews make it seem like it doesn't suck?

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
yo i need some recommendations for tool pouches.

I've been on a quest for one that does all I want for years. Never have quite found one. Here's the situation:

I do Low voltage LED lighting, custom electronics, and AV installation. I'm usually trying to carry 1-2 pairs of strippers, a flush cutter, scissors, a couple regular screwdrivers, and maybe a wench if I'm working on truss. There's plenty of pouches that meet that need. However, I also like to carry a couple small precision screwdrivers, and pens, pencils, and sharpies. My problem is that I've never found a pouch that really accommodates the smalls stuff well. It always seems to be too loose for them. Some pouches have a little straps in the pockets that are supposed to help, but I've never really liked that.

I usually look around at Klein or Greenlee, but those are typically for big-boy electricians and don't quite match my needs. I did see this Klein one recently: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-8-Pocket-Tool-Pouch-5178/100647699 It might work but I'd like to see other options.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of storage. I bought a Bissell wet vac and a steam cleaner. Moving these between houses is really annoying with the hoses and cords etc, so I figured someone must have thought of and made carry bags for these things. Drawing a blank when googling though. Closest I can come is getting a car detailing carry bag.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I need some sharpening stuff for my plane and i need want some chisels. I have done almost no hand tool wood working outside of coping trim, but I see more of it in my future now that our house is more or less done. What's a reasonable set of stuff for sharpening - I'm thinking a honing guide and a set of diamond stones or something? and what's the deal with chisels?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

I need some sharpening stuff for my plane and i need want some chisels. I have done almost no hand tool wood working outside of coping trim, but I see more of it in my future now that our house is more or less done. What's a reasonable set of stuff for sharpening - I'm thinking a honing guide and a set of diamond stones or something? and what's the deal with chisels?

If you need chisels and sharpening stuff you should get the Amazon Basics wood chisel set. It comes with a sharpening stone and guide, I ended up getting this because it was cheaper than just buying a sharpening jig on its own:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-8-Piece-Wood-Carving-Chisel/dp/B07V8X5W5R/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

yo i need some recommendations for tool pouches.

I've been on a quest for one that does all I want for years. Never have quite found one. Here's the situation:

I do Low voltage LED lighting, custom electronics, and AV installation. I'm usually trying to carry 1-2 pairs of strippers, a flush cutter, scissors, a couple regular screwdrivers, and maybe a wench if I'm working on truss. There's plenty of pouches that meet that need. However, I also like to carry a couple small precision screwdrivers, and pens, pencils, and sharpies. My problem is that I've never found a pouch that really accommodates the smalls stuff well. It always seems to be too loose for them. Some pouches have a little straps in the pockets that are supposed to help, but I've never really liked that.

I usually look around at Klein or Greenlee, but those are typically for big-boy electricians and don't quite match my needs. I did see this Klein one recently: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-8-Pocket-Tool-Pouch-5178/100647699 It might work but I'd like to see other options.

You should pop over to the leatherwork thread and see what someone could make you. Do you want a pocket for all this stuff or individual places for each driver etc? I bet this would be quite simple for someone to make you honestly.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Rutibex posted:

If you need chisels and sharpening stuff you should get the Amazon Basics wood chisel set. It comes with a sharpening stone and guide, I ended up getting this because it was cheaper than just buying a sharpening jig on its own:

This is a great start. Can recommend. If you're just getting into this, worst case is you peter off and have working chisels. If you get into it a lot more, now you have your beater chisels!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Are these a good value? I’m considering getting a set to do basic joinery but I know nothing about chisels.

E: ha ^^^ okay that response was not there when I started typing.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

cakesmith handyman posted:

You should pop over to the leatherwork thread and see what someone could make you. Do you want a pocket for all this stuff or individual places for each driver etc? I bet this would be quite simple for someone to make you honestly.

Hmmmm. Figured paying for what it rightly takes to make a one-off would be too high for right now, but I may look into it. Bigger tools can sit in bunches, but the trick is keeping all the pens & poo poo to stay in place an not fall out too easily. I'm still doing my look around at canvas-style options too.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Would a tool roll be what you need? Or if the tools in question are truly skinny, even a pencil roll?

Having done some leatherwork myself, I'll say that looking for custom will probably require going to someone on Etsy in a lower-cost country to make it affordable. Even if it's a relatively simple project -- and a tool roll would be -- it's rarely economical for the maker. And those of us who post in the leatherwork thread have pretty much exclusively done hand-stitching, making it even less so.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Hmmmm. Figured paying for what it rightly takes to make a one-off would be too high for right now, but I may look into it. Bigger tools can sit in bunches, but the trick is keeping all the pens & poo poo to stay in place an not fall out too easily. I'm still doing my look around at canvas-style options too.

No doubt I’ve already looked at or tried something like this, but I’ve got a crapsman adjacent electricians pouch that’s been a godsend whenever I need to get up in the attic and basement and install or work on wiring.

E: It’s McGuire Nicholas, though for whatever reason I recall paying a lot more

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

I will munch on your endocrine system
Snowblower advice.

Anyone have the Ego battery powered one (SNT2102), and are they any good?
I have a 3 car driveway, two cement bays and 1 gravel. I don't need to clear the gravel bay, but it would be nice if I could. Slight incline.

I've never owned a snowblower before. Just moved to a town where 8-12 inch wet snowfalls are common, and occasional 18+ inch dumps.

Do I need a 2 stage gas powered one for that level of snow? I'd rather not get a gas one unless I have to. I have a poor history with keeping gas engines alive long term.
I don't have any other battery garden equipment. I bought a corded lawnmower years ago and while I love it, I feel a cord would be a pain in the arse trying to go around vehicles.

The batteries seem kind of pricey to replace. Estimated longevity? Am I likely to get 4 or 5 seasons out of them assuming zero use through the summer?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Just bought one of those for the in-laws coincidentally, and during a small storm. I cleared what I would call a typical 4 car driveway(2 wide, 2 deep) of about 8'' of wet snow and it worked fine but it did struggle with already compacted spots and leftover ice chunks from previous storms. This completely drained both batteries. There's no depth adjustment to the shoe so expect to be throwing rocks if you use it over gravel unless it's completely iced over solid.

Honestly if foot+ dumps of wet snow are a thing you'll need to be dealing with multiple times a season you should be looking at a 2 stage unit, and evidently Ego does make a 2-stage unit for double the price, only electric one I'm aware of. For our part the last 10 years anything over 4 inches at a time has been a 2-4 times a year thing and my in-laws haven't had more than a foot dump at once in probably 7 years or so, it should be fine for them the vast majority of the time and they need something as light as possible.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

JimbobDobalina posted:

Snowblower advice.

Anyone have the Ego battery powered one (SNT2102), and are they any good?
I have a 3 car driveway, two cement bays and 1 gravel. I don't need to clear the gravel bay, but it would be nice if I could. Slight incline.

I've never owned a snowblower before. Just moved to a town where 8-12 inch wet snowfalls are common, and occasional 18+ inch dumps.

Do I need a 2 stage gas powered one for that level of snow? I'd rather not get a gas one unless I have to. I have a poor history with keeping gas engines alive long term.
I don't have any other battery garden equipment. I bought a corded lawnmower years ago and while I love it, I feel a cord would be a pain in the arse trying to go around vehicles.

The batteries seem kind of pricey to replace. Estimated longevity? Am I likely to get 4 or 5 seasons out of them assuming zero use through the summer?

Yeah you're not going to get there with anything less than a decent gas powered self propelled 2 stage. You could get away with one you push but heavy wet snow is going to suck.

Source: I live in a snowy area with similar snow. No one freekin owns an electronic one. And thksw that do put them on FB market place after a year.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 11, 2020

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Seconded, I have a long but level asphalt driveway and I wouldn't give up my self propelled gas one.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

JimbobDobalina posted:

The electric, battery snowblowers are pretty much toys. They'll work fine for areas that don't get a ton of snow (say South of the M-D line), but anywhere that gets 30"+ of snowfall a year is going to make you hate the electric.

Luckily, most snowblowers are 4-stroke gas engines, which are way easier to keep alive than 2-strokes. Change the oil at the start of every season, and at the end of the season, drain the fuel tank and run the engine until the carb is dry. Bonus points if you run it dry then add a small amount of some quality gas (like the prepackaged stuff or ethanol free) and run it dry again. Always use fuel stabilizer for the gas in the tank through the season.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Also remember that the batteries will likely have diminished run time in cold weather. Honestly there are some tools that batteries perform well enough to justify the lack of small engine maintenance, but then there are some tools that need the power a battery just can't provide yet. A snowblower is one of those things in my opinion.

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

I will munch on your endocrine system
Thanks for the snowblower tips. That echoed what the local equipment salesperson was telling me, but I wanted some impartial words.

The 2 stage ego battery unit does look pretty sweet, but it's too much money up here in the great white north. I guess I've never been diligent in running the gas engine dry after draining the tank. With 2 strokes, I thought this would damage it running the piston without the lubrication. I guess I'm over thinking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Snow Joe/Sun Joe also makes a 2 stage battery powered snowblower. Not sure how it compares but I think it predates the Ego one.

https://www.snowjoe.com/products/snow-joe-ion8024-xrp-cordless-two-stage-snow-blower-24-inch-80-volt-2-x-6-ah-batteries-4-speed-headlights