Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just started the new episode of Mandalorian. It starts out in a fighting arena filled with all sorts of aliens. There's a stark difference between the classic alien and the Disney originals. The Disney ones are so dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Also like the oversized gamorrean masks on "fit" ones rather than the fat guards at a pleasure palace who get no exercise

Probably could've made them a little smaller, but it's not really focused on and you need to pause the episode to really see it, so I don't much mind

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just started the new episode of Mandalorian. It starts out in a fighting arena filled with all sorts of aliens. There's a stark difference between the classic alien and the Disney originals. The Disney ones are so dull.

I can't even remember what any of the 'new' aliens from the ST look like other than, Maz. The post pointless character in the entire franchise.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I liked resistance slug man.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Please be nice to babu frik

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Every time I think of babu frik popping up in that spaceship I just remember that they slapped an eyepatch on John Williams and blew him up

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There’s a few that were at the “oh hmm that’s neat” level but compare to Chewie, Yoda, Jabba, the Rancor, Tauntauns, the Sarlack, etc etc

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's funny that the cantina scene was this huge pop culture thing was parodied and emulated for decades, and every disney era movie has a cantina scene (with the exception of maybe R1 unless I'm forgetting) but they are never as effective. Guys like Thurm Scissorpunch suggest that the filmmakers kind of understand how much it rules to sit a 7 foot praying mantis at a bar with a glass but they never really land as anything but "it's star wars we have to have a cantina sequence"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't understand the complaint that Mandalorian aliens are boring. Its aliens are almost entirely OT nostalgia, which is fine.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

What the gently caress is maz kanata, and why

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't understand the complaint that Mandalorian aliens are boring. Its aliens are almost entirely OT nostalgia, which is fine.

He was saying that the Mandalorian is filled with interesting aliens, but that it makes the contrast when a new Disney one stands right next to them all the more apparent.
To be fair though The Mandolorian actually does have some good new alien designs. Notably the Krayt Dragon. In Legends the Krayt was pretty lame as it was just a larger than normal Komodo. Mandalorian has re-canonized them as these giant monsters made of rock that melt people with acid. Plus it actually matches the Skeleton from ANH. Say what you will about Dune and Tremors but Star Wars has always been about taking from what works in other things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AdmiralViscen posted:

She’s a alien with butthole eyes
And because she’s kinda like a teacher JJ Abrams had

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Disney loves blobfish.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Maz Kanata is Maximum Cantina, hth.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
"Kanata" is an anagram of "katana", and they get a sword from her.

I don't know what "maz" means, but I'm sure it's similarly on the nose.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Emrikol posted:

Space-piratized version of "Miss" I guess. Miss Katana.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Miss Katana sighed as she drew her laser sword.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Más que nada.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

It's funny that the cantina scene was this huge pop culture thing was parodied and emulated for decades, and every disney era movie has a cantina scene (with the exception of maybe R1 unless I'm forgetting) but they are never as effective. Guys like Thurm Scissorpunch suggest that the filmmakers kind of understand how much it rules to sit a 7 foot praying mantis at a bar with a glass but they never really land as anything but "it's star wars we have to have a cantina sequence"

I remember an early bit of promotional material hyping up "Lin Manuel Miranda's new Cantina Theme."

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Emrikol posted:

Bib For Tuna

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Fantastic hair

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

WRONG EARS!!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That is fairly obviously Easy Andy from Taxi Driver.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So are death sticks made of spice? Or does he sell spice and death sticks?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Be like Elan

Go home and rethink your life

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It gets better, he's got antennae... and a gun

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That's really the worst character name in the history of character names, jesus george

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Today on esoteric Star Wars names, there's Orr'UrRuuR'R, one of the Tuskens who shot at pod-racers in Episode One, and yes, that name is canon due to appearing in a mobile game

And Reirin, a female Tusken from A Certain Point of View, where she snuck into the sandcrawler in A New Hope to get back a crystal, which she resonated with, so she's likely force sensitive to boot

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McCloud posted:

That's really the worst character name in the history of character names, jesus george

It's the best. There's also a monster called 'the Rancor' why are you even watching star wars?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

It's the best. There's also a monster called 'the Rancor' why are you even watching star wars?

There's a world of difference between names like Rancor or Solo, and elan the sleazebaggano. It's just too much.sometimes less is more.

It'd be like naming Luke Dec Hosen the first

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Elan Sleazebaggano is just a name on a toy. Who cares?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

One of the major character names is Chewie. Lmao.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

cargohills posted:

Elan Sleazebaggano is just a name on a toy. Who cares?

Yeah he's in one scene and has three lines, and his name is never said onscreen. Lucas probably just thought "his name is uhh Fartknocker Drugmann, on to the next scene"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man Lucas really loses his touch with names when it comes to churning out toys that only dumbass speculator collectors will even buy

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I had forgotten how they made basically any character into a toy. I wonder who is the most obscure character who still got their own action figure.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

I had forgotten how they made basically any character into a toy. I wonder who is the most obscure character who still got their own action figure.

For about $70, you can have it!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

teagone posted:

One of the major character names is Chewie. Lmao.

That’s a common nickname in Latino communities tho. It’s been my uncle’s nickname since the 60s.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

He's become such a meme that I don't think he counts anymore. The ice cream maker is even the universes default safe storage device come The Mandalorian. They'd have to go for for one of the less famous Cantina aliens. Or that Sheriff of Jakku character from TFA who had all his scenes cut at the last minute but they had already made all the toys of him, so stores were stuck with stacks of a character that wasn't even in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ruddiger posted:

That’s a common nickname in Latino communities tho. It’s been my uncle’s nickname since the 60s.

TIL!

[edit] I can't believe this is a real tweet from Rian Johnson. What a loving legend, I love him so much.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1323656040135548928

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 4, 2020