Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sharkopath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKvO59q548

Experience the next thrilling evolution of Battle Royale multiplayer action games set in the cult classic Vampire: The Masquerade universe where vampire sects are at war across the streets and rooftops of Prague. Choose your playstyle, go solo or together, battling rivals and the hostile Entity who’s hellbent on exterminating all vampires. Use your supernatural powers, weapons and blood to become stronger in order to hunt, fight and survive the night. The game is scheduled for release in the later half of 2021.

Be very sadfunny if this game ends up more solid than bloodlines somehow. The studio is new but is core staff from massive entertainment which for my money puts them at a better start position than hardsuit labs.

i'm not sure what makes me angrier, the fact that this exists or the fact that it looks kinda fun as long as i absolutely do not think about the World of Darkness, at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Kesper North posted:

i'm not sure what makes me angrier, the fact that this exists or the fact that it looks kinda fun as long as i absolutely do not think about the World of Darkness, at all

Maybe. I can see running around as a Tremere and not giving a gently caress about the Masquerade has some potential. But there’s no way they don’t include Ventrue and I can’t see any implementation of Dominate that would be fun in this style of game.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Wow, what a clusterfuck. And I was so excited for gaming in 2020. I mean both Bloodlines 2 and Cyberpunk getting released in March!
When you see leadership purges of this kind it's usually because of bad project management. I'm willing to bet that the game as pitched had been a lot more modest than what it ended up as.

More interestingly, to the people discussing HBS a few pages back is there really a chance of them doing more Shadowrun? Those are really good games. Battletech as well.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kellanved posted:

When you see leadership purges of this kind it's usually because of bad project management. I'm willing to bet that the game as pitched had been a lot more modest than what it ended up as.

Yeah the postmortems on this are going to be very interesting.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kellanved posted:

More interestingly, to the people discussing HBS a few pages back is there really a chance of them doing more Shadowrun? Those are really good games. Battletech as well.

Depends on what Paradox is willing to pay for. More Battletech seems like a good bet

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
More Battletech would also be great. But the game I liked best from them is Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Just good stuff all over.

On Bloodlines, let's see what they manage to salvage out of it. I'm ashamed to say I actually had a pre-order on this, cancelled for a few months now. Both the nostalgia and their marketing made it seem like a sure bet. I mean they had that intro demo and it looked decent enough.

I'm not really familiar with the head writer dude though, was he part of White Wolf or just an old Troika employee? Because what made bloodlines 1 good was not writing by itself, but great game design. You could see that the team knew what they were doing even with unfamiliar technology.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 2, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Depends on what Paradox is willing to pay for. More Battletech seems like a good bet

Alas, it seems not. Word is that HBS is working on their own IP rather than playing in ex-FASA playgrounds.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

steinrokkan posted:

A mature and grimdark game in the genre for ten year olds is a surefire hit.
It is a lovely night in Elysium and you are a horrible Malk.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

It is a lovely night in Elysium the Caern and you are a horrible Malk Nuwisha.

:hmmyes:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Here's the article, it has a lot of words.

Halfway through the article and so far the only examples are a character eats children and they named the Brujah clan’s weakness ‘triggered.

I'm just going to roll my eyes and move on.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

LostRook posted:

Halfway through the article and so far the only examples are a character eats children and they named the Brujah clan’s weakness ‘triggered.

Well they also hired and defended the hiring of a serial-harassing gamergater and a racist dude who thinks everything would be ok if people just let nazis beat them up among other stuff so

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

LostRook posted:

Here's a much shorter overview that I have in the tradgames OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899775#post498654410

Long story short, it caused an international incident.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

Well they also hired and defended the hiring of a serial-harassing gamergater and a racist dude who thinks everything would be ok if people just let nazis beat them up among other stuff so

Kind of burying the lede by not mentioning the racist dude was Mark Rein Hagen, the creator of V:tM.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

The amusing part about games chasing trends is Duke Nuken forever. Which had a development cycle so long that it's chasing something like 8 trends.

It starts chasing Halo and then proceeds to chase Alien vs Predator, half life and later on COD games.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN448PFGtX0

Probably nothing of this will survive into the final game but i get strong fallout 4 vibes from this, what the gently caress?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh cool they got jesse eisenberg's lex luthor in this game

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

As someone who enjoyed the first game back in the day, but otherwise doesn't know much about V:tM, and hasn't paid attention to this one's development besides "Hmm, interesting" when it was first announced - can I get a summary of what's gone horribly wrong here and why everyone thinks it's gonna suck? :v:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Azuren posted:

As someone who enjoyed the first game back in the day, but otherwise doesn't know much about V:tM, and hasn't paid attention to this one's development besides "Hmm, interesting" when it was first announced - can I get a summary of what's gone horribly wrong here and why everyone thinks it's gonna suck? :v:

Multiple project leaders let go with no explanation, radio silence from the studio, release date now listed as 12/31/21.

That should sum it up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Finished Shadows of New York.

Overall way better written than Coteries, and a good story. EXTREMELY VtM. You only get to play as the same Lasombra character, but she's great. The actual choices in the game basically boil down to acquiring certain "traits" based on your choices and what side missions you pick, and all that culminates into shuffling you toward a certain ending... far more visual novel-y without as much actual choice and gameplay as Coteries. Like, way less. Visually a bit more striking, though, and overall the plot is straight up just a better told story, in terms of VtM stylings. Also the storyline is freakishly current, so well worth playing like, RIGHT NOW in particular.

Overall I'd say both are worth checking out if you like the setting and don't mind reading a novel onscreen... easily worth about 10-15 bucks each, if you can get them for that much. Definitely play both, in release order, because Shadows unabashedly makes heavy refferences to characters and stuff from Coteries to the point where I feel like if you hadn't played Coteries you'd be a little lost with a lot of the plot in the middle.

Werewolf will be next, at some point.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Azuren posted:

Goons panicking mostly.

It’s entirely possible it’ll suck but there’s little to no information save that one ‘genius auteur’ was let go and another writer is working a different job. Oh and it, like lots of games, got a pushed back release date in the midst of a global pandemic.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Zeta Acosta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN448PFGtX0

Probably nothing of this will survive into the final game but i get strong fallout 4 vibes from this, what the gently caress?

yep, I said months ago that this is the trailer that killed my interest in the game.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

yep, I said months ago that this is the trailer that killed my interest in the game.

If this was a start of marketing leading to release or a showcase we would've forgiven it, but instead it drops and then... nothing.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I very vaguely remember a half life mod where it was tdm except you had vampire powers and there also might have been hunters with projectiles.

Vampire Slayer.

Vampires could leap forward, jump crazy high, and kill Slayers with 1-2 melee attacks. When they "died", they would get back up after a few seconds unless they were staked.

Slayers had guns and could pray for temporary invincibility, but had to stake the vampires to kill them.

It was cheesy and janky, but fun. More than half the maps were complete garbage because the developers refused to accept what a bad idea sunlit areas and 1-door rooms were when only one team had guns.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Finished Shadows of New York.

Overall way better written than Coteries, and a good story. EXTREMELY VtM. You only get to play as the same Lasombra character, but she's great. The actual choices in the game basically boil down to acquiring certain "traits" based on your choices and what side missions you pick, and all that culminates into shuffling you toward a certain ending... far more visual novel-y without as much actual choice and gameplay as Coteries. Like, way less. Visually a bit more striking, though, and overall the plot is straight up just a better told story, in terms of VtM stylings. Also the storyline is freakishly current, so well worth playing like, RIGHT NOW in particular.

Overall I'd say both are worth checking out if you like the setting and don't mind reading a novel onscreen... easily worth about 10-15 bucks each, if you can get them for that much. Definitely play both, in release order, because Shadows unabashedly makes heavy refferences to characters and stuff from Coteries to the point where I feel like if you hadn't played Coteries you'd be a little lost with a lot of the plot in the middle.

Werewolf will be next, at some point.

This makes me a bit hopeful. I got Coteries, Shadows and Night Road all at once on a whim. I couldn't even finish Coteries because the writing was just so bad. I guess I'll finish it to get the references in Shadows. I haven't tried Night Road yet, but it looks promising.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I swear I must have been the only person who thought the dancing trailer was good.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

CottonWolf posted:

I swear I must have been the only person who thought the dancing trailer was good.

Trailers can be good, but they don't represent anything about the final product.

Dead Island's trailer was a work of art, but it definitely didn't represent anything but aesthetics in the final product.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tetrabor posted:

Trailers can be good, but they don't represent anything about the final product.

Dead Island's trailer was a work of art, but it definitely didn't represent anything but aesthetics in the final product.

Dead Island has to be the greatest gap between high quality trailer and boring, uninspired game that I've ever seen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kavak posted:

If this was a start of marketing leading to release or a showcase we would've forgiven it, but instead it drops and then... nothing.

There was a gameplay showcase around the same time. It was awful.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i dunno. gameplay seemed.. adequate. but apparently that was too much to ask for.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

steinrokkan posted:

There was a gameplay showcase around the same time. It was awful.

We've not actually seen gameplay footage for over a year at this point. Who knows what it looks like now?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Dead Island has to be the greatest gap between high quality trailer and boring, uninspired game that I've ever seen.

Except, Borderlands and Call of Duty keeps pooping out uninspired sequels with extremely high quality marketing.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

Yeah, I think what really put me off about the dancing trailer is that the "gameplay" clips are both very plainly not in-game and also incredibly generic.

It would be like if someone announced they were going to finally show me their working prototype for a new car, turned on a cliche Christmas song (in May), and danced across the stage to pull down a sheet and reveal a slightly-used 2011 minivan with an empty hood.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Edmund Lava posted:

Maybe. I can see running around as a Tremere and not giving a gently caress about the Masquerade has some potential. But there’s no way they don’t include Ventrue and I can’t see any implementation of Dominate that would be fun in this style of game.

I think there could be some design space for dominate to explore in manipulating incentives for the other players. Tag two other players with an ability, the one who kills the other gets an regen/loot/xp/whatever buff, but if they attack you while the buff is in effect it gets inverted into a penalty and an extended timer. Stuff like that, that doesn't force the targeted players to do anything, but allows the ventrue player to fork the other players by setting up catch-22 scenarios that incentivice doing what they want.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Tetrabor posted:

That game wasn't even survival horror. It was like..... Borderlands but with durability melee weapons only and no humor.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Frekkie Melody posted:

That game wasn't even survival horror. It was like..... Borderlands but with durability melee weapons only and no humor.

i.e. a dramatic improvement on Borderlands.

Bearhugg
Nov 4, 2020
Came to check on the trainwreck of Bloodlines 2, got paralyzed by the reveal news of Vampire Battle Royale

WTF, Paradox - at least put WoD in the right genre of game, Battle Royale doesn't fit.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Come on, give Harebrained the WOD IPs, let them clean up your loving mess already.

Bearhugg
Nov 4, 2020

StratGoatCom posted:

Come on, give Harebrained the WOD IPs, let them clean up your loving mess already.

I so wish the game had moved in the opposite direction as well - Harebrained knows RPGs, Hardsuit Labs doesn't (let them do the Battle Royale and go away).

On the Paradox forum, someone mentioned a "content designer" who was on loan from Harebrained... and then he permanently moved to Hardsuit Labs this year. I was like, "why."

Why why why why

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Frekkie Melody posted:

And then the trailer for DI2 came out and it was all wacky humor.

...Christ has there been any word about DI2 since then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Bearhugg posted:

Came to check on the trainwreck of Bloodlines 2, got paralyzed by the reveal news of Vampire Battle Royale

WTF, Paradox - at least put WoD in the right genre of game, Battle Royale doesn't fit.

I'm with you on this. The CYOA games are very cool, and I'm glad theyre doing more with that franchise, but battle royal isnt very fun to a lot of folks.

100 players wanna be Letstat and fight over king of the Liberace dominion of bloodsuckers. ew.