Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Subvisual Haze posted:

Georgia closes polls at 7pm eastern and has likely already counted all their absentee ballots. Depends how close the margins are, but it could be called early.

North Carolina at 7:30pm, with a similar pattern to Georgia.

Florida at 8pm, same deal.

Texas at 9pm.

The upper midwestern states are either only now starting to count the early ballots, or accepting ballots postmarked as late as today. Doubt we'll get anything definitive from WI MI and PA for a day or two at least.

Ohio also was already counting ballots. They are expected to go Trump, but close margins could be a decent indicator that polls were right this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Subvisual Haze posted:

Georgia closes polls at 7pm eastern and has likely already counted all their absentee ballots. Depends how close the margins are, but it could be called early.

North Carolina at 7:30pm, with a similar pattern to Georgia.

Florida at 8pm, same deal.

Texas at 9pm.

The upper midwestern states are either only now starting to count the early ballots, or accepting ballots postmarked as late as today. Doubt we'll get anything definitive from WI MI and PA for a day or two at least.

Wisconsin has said they're going to attempt to count all the votes tonight. They're much smaller than MI or PA so it might not take too long, especially if a lead is obvious.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1323658013652226048

for reference, this is the Villages, Wasserman's previous prediction is that if Trump only gets to 63% here it's a horrible sign for his chances of winning florida, and that he needs > 67% to be competetive

so, pretty good news so far, especially since like 30k of those 'GOP' votes are vote by mail ballots likely to have a higher defection-to-Biden rate. there simply aren't that many votes left to turn out and trump would basically need to hugely win NPAs to get up to his 2016 numbers

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wasn't some of PA trying to head off the Trump narrative by counting mail-in ballots before day of or was that a fever dream I was having?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1323658013652226048?s=20

Sumter County (the villages) is currently under 69% republican, the margin Trump needs for that county. We'll see if it holds.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

eke out posted:

for reference, this is the Villages, Wasserman's previous prediction is that if Trump only gets to 63% here it's a horrible sign for his chances of winning florida, and that he needs > 67% to be competetive

so, pretty good news so far, especially since like 30k of those 'GOP' votes are vote by mail ballots likely to have a higher defection-to-Biden rate. there simply aren't that many votes left to turn out and trump would basically need to hugely win NPAs to get up to his 2016 numbers

Republican ID or Trump? He could easily be hitting 67% with that NPA turnout; guess we'll see how independents swing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1323658013652226048

Haven't the NPAs been breaking for Biden in polling?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

exquisite tea posted:

Wisconsin has said they're going to attempt to count all the votes tonight. They're much smaller than MI or PA so it might not take too long, especially if a lead is obvious.

Yes, Wisconsin will feed the absentee ballots into the scantron machines today. It's not really a hard process and they will do it quickly, albeit probably a little slower than normal.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

weekly font posted:

Wasn't some of PA trying to head off the Trump narrative by counting mail-in ballots before day of or was that a fever dream I was having?

they are not counting early, but they will be segregating mail ballots received after today (even if they are postmarked today) as an insurance against Trump implying the whole set is tainted.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Republican ID or Trump? He could easily be hitting 67% with that NPA turnout; guess we'll see how independents swing.

only if independents act completely differently there than they do everywhere else in the state in every poll

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

That's not legal in PA. You might have heard similar things that some counties were making a large effort to try to make their counting go as quickly as possible while others were like "gently caress it, we'll do it wednesday"

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Its basically a 0% chance that in-person voting in PA leans Biden, making a win clear early, right?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Party ID is not going to be a very predictive indicator of how The Villages will vote because they're already super Republican and it's doubtful anybody has changed their registration, just their opinion of Trump.

The Villages went to Trump by 39% in 2016. If Biden can cut that back down to Obama 2012 levels, then he's in a good position for the rest of the state.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

here's how you should look at the party ID numbers: right now, the best case scenario for trump (a 50/50 NPA split and 100% party loyalty based on ID) is... not great.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

weekly font posted:

Explicitly the opposite, the state GOP did not allow them to process mail ballots before today, and they are planning on counting them after in-person ballots. Several counties already announced they will not start counting mail in until tomorrow.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

ryde posted:

Its basically a 0% chance that in-person voting in PA leans Biden, making a win clear early, right?

I mean, it could happen. It could also be that instead of a 70/30 split its more like 60/40, which yea is probably an earlier call.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Lib_Crusher posted:

If you think that's bad wait until you see Southwest Florida

My folks have a place in Cape Coral and every time I go I'm...stunned, that it exists (and won't for much longer).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

here's how you should look at the party ID numbers: right now, the best case scenario for trump (a 50/50 NPA split and 100% party loyalty based on ID) is... not great.

yeah a "safe' assumption about defections based on polling, last time i checked, is something like
- biden wins 96% of dems
- trump wins 92% of republicans

but the first number is a LOT more sure than the second and a whole lot will depend on if "GOP" vote-by-mail ballots really are as democratic-slanted as polls suggest

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1323655599553466370

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

So literally everything appears to be going as expected.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Both Steve Schale and Nate Silver have said Biden will need to win Independents by about 6% to comfortably win Florida in as much as a GOP+3 environment, assuming R defection rates are accurate.

Schale has said to look to Duval and potentially Pinellas flipping blue early to see if Biden's got a shot in the state.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Both Steve Schale and Nate Silver have said Biden will need to win Independents by about 6% to comfortably win Florida in as much as a GOP+3 environment, assuming R defection rates are accurate.

yep, and most polls have assumed around R+2-4 samples and found a lead bigger than 6% with independents, so like everywhere else the big question is going to be "were the polls basically right or not"

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

If we assume that Biden has a 4% defection rate and Trump 10% (net 6% gain for Biden) and that NPA's are going Biden 55/45, that would five Biden a 727k vote lead going into election day.

If the NPA split is more like 53/47 and the defection rate more like 4% net to Biden, its more like 575k.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Sweetfancymosez/status/1323656645847752706

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol no one browsing this thread knows poo poo. Everything we know is what Dave tells us.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Let's do a little more math:

Florida has 14 million registered voters and 9 million have already voter (64% - although 75% of "active" voters).

If we say that this election has the highest turnout, ever, and another 2 million people vote, then Trump will need to make up between 500k - 700k votes within that 2 million total.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I posted this in the GE liveposting thread, but figured maybe people here would benefit, if y'all didn't know this stuff already. Places to watch in Florida (ie, where the giant concentrations of Dem voters are to run up the score in):

South Florida: Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties (includes Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and West Palm)
West coast: Hillsborough & Pinellas counties (Tampa and St. Petersburg)
Northeast: Duval county (Jacksonville)
Central: Orange county (Orlando)

If you see a big blue dot in north central FL, that's Alachua county, which gets a honorable mention (it's where UF is located). There's also the southwest corridor (Collier, Lee, and Sarasota) and Treasure/Space Coasts (central eastern area) that are full of old white Republicans.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is that good or bad news for Florida flipping?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Exceedingly good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Grouchio posted:

Nobody knows.

The polls are the most reliable number at this point, but also its Florida.

Everyone is reading tea leaves.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

I posted this in the GE liveposting thread, but figured maybe people here would benefit, if y'all didn't know this stuff already. Places to watch in Florida (ie, where the giant concentrations of Dem voters are to run up the score in):

South Florida: Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties (includes Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and West Palm)
West coast: Hillsborough & Pinellas counties (Tampa and St. Petersburg)
Northeast: Duval county (Jacksonville)
Central: Orange county (Orlando)

If you see a big blue dot in north central FL, that's Alachua county, which gets a honorable mention (it's where UF is located). There's also the southwest corridor (Collier, Lee, and Sarasota) and Treasure/Space Coasts (central eastern area) that are full of old white Republicans.

also, if you believe district level polls, some particular counties to watch:

- polk county (south central), trump +15 in 2016
- sarasota county (just below tampa bay), trump + 11 in 2016
- pinellas (st. pete and clearwater), trump +1

if the first two end up being more like trump +single digits, it'd be a sign polls are right about the suburbs and we probably won

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Let's do a little more math:

Florida has 14 million registered voters and 9 million have already voter (64% - although 75% of "active" voters).

If we say that this election has the highest turnout, ever, and another 2 million people vote, then Trump will need to make up between 500k - 700k votes within that 2 million total.

Thinking on the low end of that estimated deficit, 1.25 to .75 million is a 63% vote share of those two million.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If everything appears to be going according to expectations it implies that the polling isn’t radically wrong. Which is obviously good for Biden.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think Wasserman had FL red on his map, so things going as he expects probably means the state stays red.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Thinking on the low end of that estimated deficit, 1.25 to .75 million is a 63% vote share of those two million.

Its all gonna depend on turnout and margin. If Florida is lower turnout than... yea, I think Trump just runs out of votes.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 3, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

I think Wasserman had FL red on his map, so things going as he expects probably means the state stays red.

Cook's reasoning was, almost verbatim, "the data suggests this is going to the democrats, but they keep coming up short when the data suggests it's going to the democrats, so gently caress it we're calling it red" So you can't quite do this logic (which would generally make sense).

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If everything appears to be going according to expectations it implies that the polling isn’t radically wrong. Which is obviously good for Biden.

Not targeted at you, but around what time did people start to realize that Clinton was about to have a bad night? I'm talking day off, not the alarm bells from Congressional districts.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

Not targeted at you, but around what time did people start to realize that Clinton was about to have a bad night? I'm talking day off, not the alarm bells from Congressional districts.

Early VA returns at like 7:15 PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pook Good Mook posted:

Very quickly. That night was very https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LTgNVwfMAE