Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm cautiously optimistic right now though, it seems like Biden might actually win, while at the same time people seem to agree that the Dems' strategy made this way too loving close for comfort.

Of course by posting this I've completely loving jinxed it. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

E: ^^ was the Nebraska territory even part of the confederacy?
It was not, though some of the Missouri conflict and other low-level skirmishes reached up here. Nebraska contributed to the "Iron Brigade" but wasn't populous or accessible enough to meaningfully contribute to the Civil War in any major fashion. Mostly it was men, ag product, and some capital.

We do however have a rich history of racism, racial conflict, and lynchings, including the eviction of the ENTIRE Greek population in the 1900s, two separate stormings of the city courthouse for lynchings of innocent men, and mob violence (white mobs) throughout the 1920s-1960s.

The slavery thing is this weird loophole that has just been carried forward from the founding.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

not caring here posted:

True, but I get the feeling the hardcore nut jobs overt actions and fed or starved by those around them. And when no one is really getting excited, they lose momentum.

And really I think a lot of people that voted for him are probably at least a little thankful that the rollercoaster is nearly over.

You aren't entirely wrong, but there is a big base of radicalized chuds who get fed and reinforced on the internet. Last time I looked, 55 mil had voted for him(I haven't looked at numbers since last night). If only a tenth of a percent end up being crazy driven by his tweets and 4chan, thats still over a half a million people. That's as big as the entire union army was during the civil war.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Guys, comedy option. Trump locks himself in a bunker, and does a one man, one act pay called "Orange Adolf Checks Out"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Biden is going to win unless the media and the public allow Trump’s narrative to grow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suicide Watch posted:

Both were scams, but the real problem is the high turnout from all the nonvoting chuds that Trump encouraged to vote

Yeah, I have to wonder if new first time gun owners got spooked about how their property could have to be "bought back" and they'd get no money for it. I don't mean to imply it was a deciding factor, but I'm interested to see if it moved some votes.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Thwomp posted:

Biden is going to win unless the media and the public allow Trump’s narrative to grow.

lol you know how this ends then

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Karl Marx posted:

lol you know how this ends then

Orgy in a swimming pool?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, I have to wonder if new first time gun owners got spooked about how their property could have to be "bought back" and they'd get no money for it. I don't mean to imply it was a deciding factor, but I'm interested to see if it moved some votes.

That reminds me, I don't think I saw a single commercial saying Joe Biden was going to take your guns this election. And I'm in NC so I've had wall to wall political ads for the last couple months. Guess the NRA really did run out of money.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

lol. Maybe some like... literally existed but statistically insignificant.

If there was a huge message problem that might’ve resonated with the every person Democrats sucked with, it was “we’ll put your kids back in school” about one hundred rungs above the gun confiscation fears of brand new gun owners.

“You’ll have a job and public school (aka childcare) again” probably meant a lot more to random middle of the road people than fear of the ATF.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

If there was a huge message problem that might’ve resonated with the every person Democrats sucked with, it was “we’ll put your kids back in school” about one hundred rungs above the gun confiscation fears of brand new gun owners.

“You’ll have a job and public school (aka childcare) again” probably meant a lot more to random middle of the road people than fear of the ATF.

Yeah it was nice not to hear much about it, considering it ranks so low on the poo poo that matters list. I figured with the Bloomberg buy in that would lead to an increase, but common sense prevailed.

As Nero Danced posted:

That reminds me, I don't think I saw a single commercial saying Joe Biden was going to take your guns this election. And I'm in NC so I've had wall to wall political ads for the last couple months. Guess the NRA really did run out of money.

Yeah, I saw a few gunvote Google AdSense ads okyl very recently, but besides that nothing. God it was nice for a change.

Also

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1324049520087490562?s=21

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I bought a gun to fight against Nazis in the civil war but ended up voting for Trump because Biden wants to take my gun!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallom posted:

I bought a gun to fight against Nazis in the civil war but ended up voting for Trump because Biden wants to take my gun!

It makes as much sense as I'm black, but I'm voting for Trump....which is apparently a thing.

Like I said I doubt it was any real significane, I'm just interested in the effect of millions of new gun owners who are not Republican and/or POC, even if it's something more long term and did no benefit to Trump.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I don't get why FOX would declare Arizona for Biden given others (including CNN) haven't. Get Big Orange Doofus hot and bothered?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CBJSprague24 posted:

I don't get why FOX would declare Arizona for Biden given others (including CNN) haven't. Get Big Orange Doofus hot and bothered?

I don't get it either, same with NC going for Trump. It's over in those states, I don't think there are enough uncounted ballots left to change either.

For the other states we're still waiting on:

Biden is a ahead of Trump in Michigan by 45,000 votes, more mail in-ballots to go but it's looking hopeful for Biden.

Wisconsin called for Biden, but Trump's team has demanded a recount. Seeing as Biden's margin was 20,000 votes I don't think the recount will change very much.

Nevada has stopped counting for now, will resume tomorrow or Thursday (I don't know why). Biden is still in the lead there and mail-in ballots should be favorable to him.

So with those three, Biden cinches 270, assuming we don't have faithless electors (yay, we get to wring our hands over something we can't control for another month). Biden is still down 465,000 in Pennsylvania with a lot of mail-in ballots left to count, they potentially could still flip the state but I personally don't have high hopes at this point, but it would be nice to be wrong and have a good buffer of EC votes.

e: VVV I remember watching that live, it was funny as hell. Megyn Kelly dragged a cameraman behind the scenes and asked what he was thinking, then dragged the poor guy out on the main stage so Karl Rove could tell him how bad he was at his job, and argued with him for 40 minutes before they finally accepted that Romney lost.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 4, 2020

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Their Decision Desk is really aggressive with their calls.

Remember when they called Ohio for Obama in 2012? Karl Rove literally walked down there on live TV to ask them "WTF?" and their answer was "By our calculations, it's over. Get over it."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So in terms of the states in question, are any of them a dual red gov and leg that could in theory send a an alternate slate of delegates? I seem to recall even in PA with Wolf as Governor, the legislature could go HAM on it's own and try it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1324058836018307075?s=20

Need to send all of this decade's pollsters out to the fields as Mao did. Good honest labor

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

the yellow dart posted:

:psyduck:

What the gently caress is wrong with people? Also, I eagerly await FL's legislature and governor "clarifying" that the minimum wage is now $1.50 because voters were not asked about where the decimal point should be :smug:

People (esp. low info voters) tend to pick a candidate based on personality / 'gut' reaction and then construct elaborate self-justifications for why they made the right choice, to the point of fabricating a candidate's own policy positions to match their own beliefs and preferences. There's a lot of people who find it *really* difficult to admit they made a wrong choice, either publicly or to themselves, and will go to great lengths to double down on why they were right despite evidence to the contrary.

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1323970380403531783

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1323971564921114624

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real winner is Mitch McConnell. He got rid of his biggest pain in the rear end, ensured the court won't change, and due to the House (which apparently featured Republican gains) will feature along with Biden himself as a perfect excuse for not getting poo poo done.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1324043220913999876?s=21

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This has to be bullshit, even if you aren't "plugged into politics" dunking on Trump for his anti-mask bullshit has been in pop culture since it became a thing. So the voters in question would 1) not pay attention to ANY news media and 2) Not pay attention to US television pop culture.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CNN has given Wisconsin to Biden. Not sure about other networks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the return of the party of lincoln :patriot:

https://twitter.com/adrian_gray/status/1324012494751485952

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CUBANS!!!!!!!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

While the equivalent of voting for Alexander Stephens.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Biden said he was going to take a stance on expanding the supreme court before the election. Anyone know if he ever did? I know it isn't very relevant anymore if they don't get the senate but trying to provide a link for somebody.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cyks posted:

Biden said he was going to take a stance on expanding the supreme court before the election. Anyone know if he ever did?

If I remember correctly his stance was "Maybe, I'll think about it*"

*absolutely not even if he had the power to do so.

edit:nytimes.com/2020/10/22/us/politics/biden-supreme-court-packing.html

quote:

“I will ask them to, over 180 days, come back to me with recommendations as to how to reform the court system, because it’s getting out of whack,” Mr. Biden, the Democratic presidential nominee, told CBS News’s Norah O’Donnell, according to an interview excerpt made public on Thursday and expected to be broadcast in full on Sunday on “60 Minutes.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Defenestrategy posted:

If I remember correctly his stance was "Maybe, I'll think about it*"

*absolutely not even if he had the power to do so.

He wanted a "Bipartisan Review"

So, no.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Cyks posted:

Biden said he was going to take a stance on expanding the supreme court before the election. Anyone know if he ever did? I know it isn't very relevant anymore if they don't get the senate but trying to provide a link for somebody.

It was literally "I'll form a commission to study what the impact would be"

Edit: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/us/politics/biden-supreme-court-packing.html

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Democrats are going to look at themselves in the mirror, get their klan hoods out of storage, and say "we gotta get a LOT more racist".

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Yeah I saw a tweet that attributed a quote to him along the lines of forming a committee of republicans and democrats to determine if it was a good idea but it was so asinine I wasn't sure if it was real or not.
Last I recall was during the debate he said he would make an official announcement before people started voting but it looks like nobody held him to that as a google search just comes up with debate articles.

Notahippie posted:

It was literally "I'll form a commission to study what the impact would be"

Edit: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/us/politics/biden-supreme-court-packing.html

Ah there we go. Thanks!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So can anyone explain the 1956 spike? I assume it's from Eisenhower using Federal Troops to support USC orders regarding Desegregation and also possibly African American military veterans, but also a strong economy, and incumbency, to explain the spike from 1952? I know it's of no importance, but I'm kind of interested. Jewish voting demographics are really interesting up until the mid 60s in terms of voting splits.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 4, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The real winner is Mitch McConnell. He got rid of his biggest pain in the rear end, ensured the court won't change, and due to the House (which apparently featured Republican gains) will feature along with Biden himself as a perfect excuse for not getting poo poo done.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1324043220913999876?s=21

Yeah not taking the senate is pretty much the end by my read. Nothing's getting done legislatively and I have little faith Joe will actually undo all his executive orders

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Democrats are going to look at themselves in the mirror, get their klan hoods out of storage, and say "we gotta get a LOT more racist".

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?s=20

Dril's got you covered

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1324043220913999876?s=20

Can't wait for Biden to try a Grand Bargain with Mitch that guts SS and/or Medicare for nothing

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So can anyone explain the 1956 spike? I assume it's from Eisenhower using Federal Troops to support USC orders regarding Desegregation and also possibly African American military veterans? I know it's of no importance, but I'm kind of interested. Jewish voting demographics are really interesting up until the mid 60s in terms of voting splits.

Brown v Board was right before 1956. My gut instinct says it’s probably a civil rights thing.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
On the topic of forming committees that review the recommendation to revise things, something else to look forward to fizzling out: Puerto Rico had a statehood referendum vote this election. The question was "Should Puerto Rico be immediately admitted into the Union as a state?" They voted in favor, 52.29% vs 47.71%, with 95 percent of the ballots counted. Now the governor will put together a commission, and if the governor likes what they come up with, they'll submit it to congress.

I'm not well versed in Puerto Rico politics, but I don't have high hopes of this coming to fruition, but it's kinda interesting. And if there's one thing you can say about the last couple years, it's been really loving interesting.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

This has to be bullshit, even if you aren't "plugged into politics" dunking on Trump for his anti-mask bullshit has been in pop culture since it became a thing. So the voters in question would 1) not pay attention to ANY news media and 2) Not pay attention to US television pop culture.

I don't think it is bullshit. There were polls that showed like 1/3 of republicans don't know that Obamacare and the ACA are the same thing. If all they are watching is fox they get a curated narrative where anything like trump's flipping on masks gets memoryholed. People are loving stupid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1324063220227887104?s=19

Today isn't perfect, but a lot of terrible people are poised to eat poo poo, and that warms my heart.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Defenestrategy posted:

Dunno but it lines up with at least some of my interactions with 'moderate' Republicans leading up to 2020. I know two medical professionals who backed Kasich in the 2016 GOP primary and ended up voting for Trump despite misgivings due to their hatred of the Clintons. They've spent the last year vehemently claiming that Trump is doing the absolute best possible job with Covid and is 100% in sync with Dr. Fauci even when shown videos of Trump publicly disparaging Fauci, dismissing his recommendations and indicating he'd like to get rid of him after the election. It's like watching oil bounce off water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
One thing about all this that I need to remember going forward - polls are bad and Cole was right

yeah I said it