Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The Trumpy HR woman has escalated. She saw me spritz the touch-button of the water cooler with alcohol. She then sent an email company wide saying not to do that "so we don't ruin the equipment". She then removed all the sanitizers from the communal area.

A coworker put the spray bottle back a half hour later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

okay pick. go to a blm protest and tell them that they're being very inconvenient for the joe biden campaign and give them a list of pre-approved slogans and catchphrases. maybe bring one of those t-shirt cannons. let us know how it works out!

Go ahead and keep assuming that everyone's secretly super leftist and that they're just stupid for not wanting what you're selling and see how that-- oh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pick posted:

Go ahead and keep assuming that everyone's secretly super leftist and that they're just stupid for not wanting what you're selling and see how that-- oh.

We shouldn't fight for good things because they're unpopular, got it

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Nonsense posted:

I'm pretty amazed they're basically telling a lot of people who went out knocking on doors for them to gently caress off. And that idiot won her race and she's complaining lol

Hate to say this but in a way they were right. Biden's campaign literally had no significant canvassing or ground game during the primary or the general. They just relied on big money funded media for the most part. Not to poo poo on Bernie and his supporters (I was one), but presidential politics in this country are first and foremost a media spectacle. Bernie might have had the biggest ground game in history, but all it took was one Jim Clyburn press conference before the SC primary to seal it for Biden.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Majorian posted:

Yes, I'm sure it was "defund the police" that almost cost you your race, you Blue Dog dingus.

I went to summer camp with Abby and grew up in her district. Her social media posts were constantly bombarded with people from the area accusing her of being antifa and wanting to defund the police. Maybe these guys would have just co-opted other Fox News talking points, but it really was a thing.

She's not Bernie Sanders, but that is not what her district wants. It's very purple. Lot of squishy suburban moderates (many of whom are recent arrivals from elsewhere) with problematic - but not fully horrible - beliefs living next to large clusters of rural and suburban chuds. I wish there could be social-progressive waves that give you Congressional control without winning those purple districts over, but I really don't see how that happens.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ImpAtom posted:

The issue there is that apparently Biden pulled a significant number of white men. Depending on how things turn out his ability to turn a traditional strong Republican base to his side leads to a win.

He didn't perform as well with minorities percentage wise but absolutely did number wise. He wasn't losing voters, Trump was gaining them.

I loving hate it and think it is bullshit but we have to look at the very real possibility that the US is just very conservative.

my main hope is that it isn't necessarily that the US is inherently conservative as much as it is inherently contrarian. that how simple safety measures suddenly became a political controversy to the point where wearing a mask during a pandemic now indicates what you believe, that plenty of votes are gettable just on the basis of whoever you're voting for sticking it to perceived authority figures, regardless of what the candidate believes or espouses

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 5, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mA posted:

Hate to say this but in a way they were right. Biden's campaign literally had no significant canvassing or ground game during the primary or the general. They just relied on media for the most part. Not to poo poo on Bernie and his supporters (I was one), but presidential politics in this country are first and foremost a media spectacle.

The areas where there were significant ground games -- Georgia, Minnesota, and Michigan, due to Stacey Abrams, Omar, and Tlaib specifically -- were what clinched Biden's win.

Ground game still matters and failing to do it was probably Biden's big mistake.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Chinese Gordon posted:

Good luck with that. The GOP is going to be full Trumpist for the foreseeable future. The LP ghouls are delusional if they think otherwise.

In a generation or so red hats and thin blue line flags are going to be "heritage, not hate", and there will be a glorious invented history of what MAGA society was like with no social ills, and it's just an annual tradition to ride their trucks with guns through Black neighborhoods, how dare you ruin their traditions.

I mean, they're going to be doing that from here forward, but once it's old enough to be forgotten they can invent even more stuff than what they've invented already.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Xand_Man posted:

IIRC it's vaguely true in the sense that social progress marches onwards faster then people revise their
beliefs.

For a relatively tame example think of how visible tattoos or facial piercings were at one point considered unprofessional/scary but are now not even comment worthy

Oh for sure, at least on some issues (i.e. not gun control)! But that's definitely not what people mean when they talk about people getting more conservative as they age.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Pick posted:

I do not believe that 'they' who are protesting are super secret anything, on multiple levels.

Nor do I think that 'they' positions of "do not suffocate a man for eight minutes and forty-six seconds underneath a training officer's knee" is leftist either.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1324454304065806337

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pick posted:

I'm not saying everyone is secretly super leftist, I'm saying that it literally didn't matter to the protestors and frankly, it shouldn't. A protest isn't a carefully calculated political action. I don't even support entirely abolishing the police. Just literally, chastising the protestors for not helping joe biden, who was talking about shooting them in the leg, feels like it's missing the point of the protests. they weren't trying to help the democrats. burning a police station to the ground was not about biden's margins in nevada. people don't weigh up the electoral college map before smashing a police cruiser's windows. when a cop is aiming for your head with a tear gas canister you don't think about which of getting hit or dodging is better for the democrats' chances in the senate. not everything in the world is a carefully considered action that should advance left-of-center politics and is a failure if it doesn't.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Pedro De Heredia posted:

A much simpler explanation is that the Republican Party is better at normal, basic politics than the Democratic Party is.

An even simpler explanation is that conservative "politics" are just a smokescreen for abusive behaviors and anti-intellectualism

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

I loving hate it and think it is bullshit but we have to look at the very real possibility that the US is just very conservative.

This is almost word for word what was said after 2004 election when Bush won. Lots of punditry "the US is just a very conservative country" and then Obama busted right through that.

No, what it says is that the US is vulnerable to demagoguery and constant fearmongering, especially when in a crisis like a pandemic. And that's always been true.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Where are the fukken votes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

E. Fb

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

How brave of him.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

BLM is a thing that happened, it's on the DNC to build messaging from that. Protestors are not going to focus-group your snappy slogans, jfc

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Whoa, wonder what Cheeto tried to order him to do

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Is... Is this because Trump wants to mobilize the military to hold his position of power?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I think it's also good to point out that we're in the middle of a major recession and Biden hasn't effectively communicated a good plan for moving the country out of this recession and making up for the millions of lost jobs. Stimulus has been held up in the Senate, people are struggling to pay rent.

Step away a moment from the nuanced political strategy of why action is getting stalled in Congress, and see this from the perspective of an average person not engaged in politics. If you're struggling to pay your rent you're going to vote for whoever says they're going to help you out, even if it's just a fat lie. Trump says he'll get you a stimulus check, and "reopen" the economy. Biden says he will... what?

Even in these forums we agree that trying to get economic aid out with Mitch still in the Senate is basically impossible

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Too Shy Guy posted:

BLM is a thing that happened, it's on the DNC to build messaging from that. Protestors are not going to focus-group your snappy slogans, jfc

Exactly this. All of these politicians have had months (years!) to work with these organizations and develop messaging around meaningful change. The problem is that they don't want meaningful change so they don't want to work to sell it to their base. They're happy being mere reflections of the insecurities and useless fantasies of their base instead of leading from the front to actually make America a better place to live.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kulkasha posted:

Whoa, wonder what Cheeto tried to order him to do

Don't most cabinet members do this when a new administration from an opposing party is coming in?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1324456569778675712?s=20

These people suck.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Republicans posted:

Don't most cabinet members do this when a new administration from an opposing party is coming in?

Don't they customarily wait for the President to lose first?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

This is almost word for word what was said after 2004 election when Bush won. Lots of punditry "the US is just a very conservative country" and then Obama busted right through that.

No, what it says is that the US is vulnerable to demagoguery and constant fearmongering, especially when in a crisis like a pandemic. And that's always been true.

Obama was pretty fuckin' conservative in his plans even discounting his inability to stick to them.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Republicans posted:

yes, but they usually wait until the election is completed.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

stillvisions posted:

I mean, they're going to be doing that from here forward, but once it's old enough to be forgotten they can invent even more stuff than what they've invented already.

I had a moment of horror last week when I realized the truck parade thing isn't going to stop after the election.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"Alright gang, close call, and we lost some important races. So I'm thinking next cycle: we run on lower taxes, fiscal responsibility, and repealing ACA. That appears to be what our demo wants."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GamingHyena posted:

Don't they customarily wait for the President to lose first?

If it's a functional administration, they remain to do their jobs throughout the lame duck and step down with the transfer of power

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

So different from what will in fact happen where they don't run on any of those things and proceed to lose both races.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yes, if you are protesting for a policy, you do actually have to structure it so that your protest makes people want to do that thing instead of the exact opposite of that thing. You can argue all day if that's fair but if you're making noise, one of two things will happen--the average listener will think it's a good noise, or a bad noise, and will react accordingly.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Xand_Man posted:

For a relatively tame example think of how visible tattoos or facial piercings were at one point considered unprofessional/scary but are now not even comment worthy

In a lot of well paying and corporate jobs, in addition to local government this is absolutely still the case.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Seems like the NBA getting sports stadiums turned into voting centers was actually a big deal! I also didn't realize that the Atlanta Hawks had worked on doing it first before the big league-wide push.

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1324440414636580864

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

I cannot wrap my head around this kind of bullshit. I don’t even get enjoyment from making fun of this particular brand of brainworms anymore. It is just so demoralizing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

dwarf74 posted:

Context is Spanberger saying "hey maybe we should lay off cops a bit" and Pelosi shutting her down, so I am not sure why you're mad at Pelosi atm.

Context is actually Spanberger saying they'll get torn apart if they run the same race in 2022, and she's not wrong about that. It loving scares me to think Pelosi and crew are looking at this as vindication of their take-no-stand centrism.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Pick posted:

Go ahead and tell BLM what to think for the betterment of neoliberal policy then. It seems super important that you explain where they really hurt Joe Biden's chances at a supermajority. Make sure they know you expect better of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pick posted:

Yes, if you are protesting for a policy, you do actually have to structure it so that your protest makes people want to do that thing instead of the exact opposite of that thing. You can argue all day if that's fair but if you're making noise, one of two things will happen--the average listener will think it's a good noise, or a bad noise, and will react accordingly.
What part of 'they were loving furious and terrified that they were getting murdered like dogs in the street' do you not get

If someone breaks into my house and starts swinging a meat cleaver at me, do i think about stand my ground laws in my state before trying to shoot him?

It was not a carefully calculated attempt to get a policy enacted. It was a scream of grief, terror, and anger, from a people who have been wronged over and over and over. They did not workshop the slogan with a marketing team. You are fundamentally misunderstandung why the protests happened in a way that is either deliberately obtuse or incapable of empathy.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 5, 2020

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

It loving scares me to think Pelosi and crew are looking at this as vindication of their take-no-stand centrism.

Win or lose, the lesson democrats were going to learn was "we need to be more moderate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The areas where there were significant ground games -- Georgia, Minnesota, and Michigan, due to Stacey Abrams, Omar, and Tlaib specifically -- were what clinched Biden's win.

Ground game still matters and failing to do it was probably Biden's big mistake.

Right, I didn't say ground game doesn't matter at all. To the extent it did make a difference, it was driven by local progressive organizations and local popular candidates, not the Biden campaign. How many different stories came out in the last few months about the absence of Biden field offices and staff in swing states including AZ and WI? Also given the amount of dislike that Trump generates among even low info and typically politically apathetic people, one could plausibly argue that motivation was just as important in people voting this time around.

mA fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 5, 2020