Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

Obama was pretty fuckin' conservative in his plans even discounting his inability to stick to them.

This is a reach to try and maintain your position in this discussion, and you know it.

Obama was perceived as progressive by most of the people voting for him and that's what he rode to victory, besides his personal charisma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Pick posted:

Yes, if you are protesting for a policy, you do actually have to structure it so that your protest makes people want to do that thing instead of the exact opposite of that thing. You can argue all day if that's fair but if you're making noise, one of two things will happen--the average listener will think it's a good noise, or a bad noise, and will react accordingly.

Do you have evidence that "defund the police" actually played a significant role in this election's outcome, outside of what centrist Dems are saying?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

insta posted:

The Trumpy HR woman has escalated. She saw me spritz the touch-button of the water cooler with alcohol. She then sent an email company wide saying not to do that "so we don't ruin the equipment". She then removed all the sanitizers from the communal area.

A coworker put the spray bottle back a half hour later.

Jesus. What is the OSHA/pandemic orders situation like in your state? Anonymously report that poo poo no joke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Clyburn is bought by Big Pharma btw. It's why he was never backing anyone but Biden in the primary.

I can't believe even after this they think "we gotta go right" is the move. I thought maybe this would finally snap them out of it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I am Alarmed

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Pick posted:

Yes, if you are protesting for a policy, you do actually have to structure it so that your protest makes people want to do that thing instead of the exact opposite of that thing. You can argue all day if that's fair but if you're making noise, one of two things will happen--the average listener will think it's a good noise, or a bad noise, and will react accordingly.

Continuing to present the protests against being suffocated for eight minutes and forty-six seconds under a training officer's knee in a deep blue-team city and state as a 'you' & 'they' thing instead of a 'we' & 'us' thing is why these arguments about policy have failed to gain traction.

Perhaps Pick could structure the way Pick makes an argument so that people listen to Pick instead of telling Pick that it is decorum weirdo behavior to tell 'they' what to do.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I kinda am too. On one hand it could just be him leaving cause Trump's losing and he knows Trump was gonna fire him, but what if he's resigning because Trump keeps asking him to do something he refuses to do?

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

He was probably asked to say some shady poo poo that even he couldn’t get behind.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Grondoth posted:

I kinda am too. On one hand it could just be him leaving cause Trump's losing and he knows Trump was gonna fire him, but what if he's resigning because Trump keeps asking him to do something he refuses to do?

If it's the latter, no one in the higher chain of command of the military will allow it. They've been pretty clear about that.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Sorry y'all

I didn't know there was an article, but Marcy Wheeler admonished everyone to read the article on Twitter and it sounds like he just expects to be fired rather than anything alarming

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/long-odds-trump-defense-secretary-esper-has-prepared-resignation-letter-n1245846

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

And they suck at math:

Most wins in Congress were 51/49, the landslides were 55/45. The Squad? YUGE wins.

AOC 68/30
Omar 64/25
Tlaib 77/18

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Are there any leaks from the NRCC about their side of the house?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If Biden wins it’ll be really great watching everyone go into ignoring dipshit Trump mode even if it was 4 years too late.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I am surprised that the Democrats have taken progressive votes and then turned right.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Kulkasha posted:

Whoa, wonder what Cheeto tried to order him to do

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/long-odds-trump-defense-secretary-esper-has-prepared-resignation-letter-n1245846

"But defense officials say Esper prepared his letter because he is one of the Cabinet officials long expected to be pushed out after the election.

As his tenure may be coming to an end, Esper is helping members of Congress draft legislation that will strip names of Confederate leaders from military bases in a move that could put him further at odds with President Donald Trump."

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The reason why Dems did bad is the dollars and cents, it has nothing to do with BLM or identity politics. Americans need help, they need jobs, they need healthcare, they need material economic benefits. If the Dems decide they're going to shunt identity politics and social democracy off the boat and go straight ahead with neoliberalism then 2022 and 2024 are foregone conclusions. We already saw the results of that approach in this very election, and it was almost complete disaster.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Trump probably said something about sending troops to stop the vote counting.

If so resigning is the coward's way out, just say no

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Pick posted:

Go ahead and keep assuming that everyone's secretly super leftist and that they're just stupid for not wanting what you're selling and see how that-- oh.

go ahead and keep finding reasons to justify your support the drug war and police, but couch it as if youre talking about "strategy" and not your actual beliefs.

why do you feel the need to constantly defend racism pick?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Clyburn is bought by Big Pharma btw. It's why he was never backing anyone but Biden in the primary.

I can't believe even after this they think "we gotta go right" is the move. I thought maybe this would finally snap them out of it.

The true lesson of 2020 is that none of this poo poo can be reformed, it has to be replaced.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

bobjr posted:

What are the basics of the Democratic Party message?

Letting you live in squalor, watching everything you care about erode and crumble, and then die in the street penniless but being nice enough to step over you instead of stomping your face into the mud*.

*does not apply if you are a minority or live in the global south.

The party cannot fail, it can only be failed, etc etc.

No, Republicans actually have control of their caucus and discipline around their messaging.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TGLT posted:

"But defense officials say Esper prepared his letter because he is one of the Cabinet officials long expected to be pushed out after the election.

As his tenure may be coming to an end, Esper is helping members of Congress draft legislation that will strip names of Confederate leaders from military bases in a move that could put him further at odds with President Donald Trump."

lol

He's incapable of hiring people who won't stab him in the back on the way out, it owns

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

Trump probably said something about sending troops to stop the vote counting.

If so resigning is the coward's way out, just say no

This is his letter of resignation to Biden when Biden takes office, not to Trump

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Grondoth posted:

I'll go ahead and guess it'll come out that Trump tried to order troops to Phoenix/Philadelphia/Atlanta to "oversee" the count, or something along those lines.

E- but yeah that's probably not why he's resigning. He just knows he's about to be replaced anyway.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jaxyon posted:

This is a reach to try and maintain your position in this discussion, and you know it.

Obama was perceived as progressive by most of the people voting for him and that's what he rode to victory, besides his personal charisma.

Cornel West called Obama a "Rockafeller Republican in blackface"

Obama rode a tide of financial backroom deals and corporate endorsements to victory.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Chinese Gordon posted:

I'll go ahead and guess it'll come out that Trump tried to order troops to Phoenix/Philadelphia/Atlanta to "oversee" the count, or something along those lines.

I'm confident that Trump would have tweeted something along those lines before actually trying to order it.

The tweet would go something like:

SOMEONE SEND IN THE ARMY! SHOULD SECURE THE POLLS FROM THE BIG ELECTION FRAUD!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

This is his letter of resignation to Biden when Biden takes office, not to Trump

To either of them, possibly. Though it isn't necessarily what's happening here, it IS customary for cabinet secs to offer their resignations at the end of a term in case the president wants to make a change, even if it's the same rear end in a top hat winning reelection.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

adoration for none posted:

The reason why Dems did bad is the dollars and cents, it has nothing to do with BLM or identity politics. Americans need help, they need jobs, they need healthcare, they need material economic benefits. If the Dems decide they're going to shunt identity politics and social democracy off the boat and go straight ahead with neoliberalism then 2022 and 2024 are foregone conclusions. We already saw the results of that approach in this very election, and it was almost complete disaster.

In dollars and cents terms, one analysis I heard that I thought made sense was that Trump's biggest source of votes were based on the Covid Economy - people who's day to day economic lives were not affected by Covid because they were still going to work every day like food service workers, and business owners who want him to put an end to any kind of safety measures that are hurting their bottom lines went for Trump, and this would explain the bleed-over from young POC. The people who voted for Biden are more in the class of people who's lives have been deeply disrupted by Covid, mainly middle class service industry and office types, want Biden because they're ready to do whatever it takes to quash the problem permanently and get their old lives back.

I thought was logical at least.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1324451176331517953?s=20

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sanguinia posted:

In dollars and cents terms, one analysis I heard that I thought made sense was that Trump's biggest source of votes were based on the Covid Economy - people who's day to day economic lives were not affected by Covid because they were still going to work every day like food service workers, and business owners who want him to put an end to any kind of safety measures that are hurting their bottom lines went for Trump, and this would explain the bleed-over from young POC. The people who voted for Biden are more in the class of people who's lives have been deeply disrupted by Covid, mainly middle class service industry and office types, want Biden because they're ready to do whatever it takes to quash the problem permanently and get their old lives back.

I thought was logical at least.

Hmm, do you remember maybe where you read it? That seems like a very valuable insight, I'll look for it if you can't find it.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Banana republic, y’all.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I agree. At the same time, there is a timeline where maybe Clyburn sits back and doesn't endorse anyone. One of the tactical errors of the Bernie campaign was not even contacting Clyburn and at least trying to see if they could find some way to get him just to sit back.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mA posted:

I agree. At the same time, there is a timeline where maybe Clyburn sits back and doesn't endorse anyone. One of the tactical errors of the Bernie campaign was not even contacting Clyburn and at least trying to see if they could find some way to get him just to sit back.

not really. there's not a chance that he would have ever cooperated or even not fought against Bernie, given his record and stances.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Majorian posted:

Do you have evidence that "defund the police" actually played a significant role in this election's outcome, outside of what centrist Dems are saying?

Similarly curious if Pick can point to counter-examples where the official establishment Democrats organized an effective mass movement with good messaging that lead to a meaningful policy victory?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pick posted:

Maybe they should have, if they wanted to prevent people from getting shot by not providing ads for the guy who loves shooting people

Freedom of speech and assembly are guaranteed in the constitution, the protests aren't going anywhere.

Democrats are going to have to figure out how to win, blaming the protests is just an excuse for losing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Let's not let the Number distract from the true fact that the President is dead

https://twitter.com/USPoliticsPoll/status/1324460651209805824?s=19

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Endorph posted:

What part of 'they were loving furious and terrified that they were getting murdered like dogs in the street' do you not get

If someone breaks into my house and starts swinging a meat cleaver at me, do i think about stand my ground laws in my state before trying to shoot him?

It was not a carefully calculated attempt to get a policy enacted. It was a scream of grief, terror, and anger, from a people who have been wronged over and over and over. They did not workshop the slogan with a marketing team. You are fundamentally misunderstandung why the protests happened in a way that is either deliberately obtuse or incapable of empathy.

This is all that really needs to be said on the matter.

...And I don't know a way out of this either. How are we supposed to get a mass of white people that are worlds away from this state sanctioned violence to even care? I mean, I know a lot of them do and showed up, but what the gently caress..

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pelosi and Feinstein didn't run for government so you could have some of their money!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/GwynneFitz/status/1324467243489648645

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

adoration for none posted:

Hmm, do you remember maybe where you read it? That seems like a very valuable insight, I'll look for it if you can't find it.

It was a segment on NBC yesterday, with one of their business news people talking about how and why the market was reacting to the races' developments. This was also where I first heard analysis related to the market salivating at the prospect of Mitch's Senate stopping any major new regulation or a repeal of the Tax Scam. I can't say what show exactly, I had NBC on all day in my classroom since its one of the news networks that was streaming free on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Yeah, trump and Biden had identically positive views of police murdering black people, and identically negative views of blm, and that was reflected by the poll results. There were months of people saying slamming your hand on a medium high burner is better than a high burner, and those folks have been proven wrong by American voters in an objective sense.