Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/MaryPatHector/status/1324715902395437056

I intend to learn more about these folks since Abrams is popular in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grouchio posted:

I still think we'll start seeing vaccines pop up by this spring.

I think there will be vaccines fairly soon as well but also the distribution, messaging, compliance, dealing with non-compliers, all that poo poo is going to be a big factor for the next election, in my o.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/MaryPatHector/status/1324715902395437056

I intend to learn more about these folks since Abrams is popular in this thread.

It also sounds like a good core to help start up a proper progressive 50-state agenda.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
The White House status report on CNN right now is that Mark Meadows is coddling Trump while everyone else is looking for jobs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/aaronblake/status/1324757741315989505?s=21

Lol

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Everyone loves an astronaut. Name one astronaut who ran for office and lost - ya’ can’t.

Dems need to recruit more astronauts. :colbert:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
How likely is it that Biden will get to a margin of 38k or higher in PA? That seems to be the point where he gets over the .5% needed to stop a recount.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

wilderthanmild posted:

How likely is it that Biden will get to a margin of 38k or higher in PA? That seems to be the point where he gets over the .5% needed to stop a recount.

He will win PA by nearly 200k when everything’s settled.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

wilderthanmild posted:

Every estimate said "At least 80k" and Biden blew past most of those estimates already so uh yeah

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Also, I know we talked about it a lot before and at this point now it doesn't really matter, but to give some perspective on the breaks in ballots being counted in Maricopa, this is why:

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1324738637146120192

Most of the map is Maricopa County, and so you can see why some areas would have ballots that would skew more heavily for Trump. The question then mostly gets down to whether they were processing ballots from the further precincts or from the more central core. It sounds like they've also probably cleared out those further precincts and what we're starting to see are the same-day drop offs and ones that were more centralized, which is why it's trending back to a more equal split between them.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So McSally is Arizona’s Martha Coakley

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I kind of assume that a McSally needs to become the informal name for something

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

wilderthanmild posted:

From what I've seen, very likely. He'll end up leading between 70-100k (likely more) I'd guess.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1324770257840590850?s=21

wilderthanmild posted:

He’s expected to be up around 2% in PA when the counting is done.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

JT Jag posted:

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1324768465354395649

The polling industry is exactly as broken as it was in 2016.

Clearly we just need to always assume the polls are off by that same amount every time and then they'll be perfectly serviceable.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Delthalaz posted:

So McSally is Arizona’s Martha Coakley

...who is Massachusetts’s Hillary Clinton. :boom:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

To be clear, I'm not saying this is good. It's just baked in at this point. Biden can't stop the politicization of control measures that Trump started. Sanders wouldn't be able to. FDR wouldn't be able to. If any of them were in charge when this started, maybe.

Presidents get electorally punished and rewarded for all kinds of poo poo they have nothing to do with.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Fivey is dreaming of their off-in-a-corner-of-the-woods lakeside cabin, a recliner and comfy blanket, and some hot cocoa, but there's still some wrap-up to do.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

LabyaMynora posted:

Everyone loves an astronaut. Name one astronaut who ran for office and lost - ya’ can’t.

Dems need to recruit more astronauts. :colbert:

Counterpoint

Lib_Crusher
Dec 6, 2018

SourKraut posted:

It also sounds like a good core to help start up a proper progressive 50-state agenda.

It is! Unfortunately, there's little chance it will happen. The 2018 Governor's race in Georgia sparked a strong progressive organization effort whos efforts and goals were endorsed and enacted by the Democratic party officials where possible. These huge margins in and around Atlanta are a direct result of this alliance. There was a lot of anger between these groups and elected officials over the summer during the George Floyd protests, but less so compared to other cities, and they kept up their efforts.

But throughout the country, even in swing states and districts, Democratic officials are typically indifferent, if not downright hostile, to progressive organizations. And the House Democrats conference call yesterday straight up blamed the downballot struggles on the efforts and demands of many of these groups.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Kavros posted:

I kind of assume that a McSally needs to become the informal name for something

A "McSally" is a full bowling game comprised of nothing but gutterballs or a golf score 1000x par for the course.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Astronauts are a cut above the rest of us and dems should absolutely get more of them, this has been my Ted Talk.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
I wonder if McSally will try again in 2022 since this was just a special election for the remaining two years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Biden, appoint Sinema to Transportation and see if McSally can pull off the three peat

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

LabyaMynora posted:

...who is Massachusetts’s Hillary Clinton. :boom:

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not say things we can't take back.:stare:

Good burn.

Ganon posted:

I wonder if McSally will try again in 2022 since this was just a special election for the remaining two years.

I kinda doubt it; she's lost too many times. They'll get someone new, would be my bet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Majorian posted:

I kinda doubt it; she's lost too many times. They'll get someone new, would be my bet.

And yet Robby Mook remains gainfully employed

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It tells you a lot about our system that Biden is going to coast to a big-rear end PV win once California et. al. are actually 100% counted in a week or whatever, and that his EC total is going to at least be fairly large (like probably 306)... but that arrived through a series of terrifying individual races that could have easily gone the wrong way.

We all know this, but: goddamn this is a loving stupid system.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
When does prime time programming start? That's likely to be the Dem friendly call time so they can segue into the victory speeches

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Also, Kelly has an identical twin who is also an astronaut. What’s not to love?

More seriously, he’s been pushing for harsher gun control laws, so he’s a gud’un.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
A McSally is like a cousin to a Trump, where one proves loathesomely insufficient in all regards but still gets to fail upwards for at least one election, but the other is ultimately just a charity case in all conceivable realms

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Doccykins posted:

When does prime time programming start? That's likely to be the Dem friendly call time so they can segue into the victory speeches

Its 6-8 pm EST, right?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

My chud colleagues suddenly very concerned about executive orders.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yes, but the virus recovery will also happen under Biden. Even if it's nothing more than 80% of the country having had the drat thing and herd immunity kicking in.

To get there without Italy-style crushing of the health system will take at least 3-4 years (of consistent record breaking case numbers and deaths).

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

cr0y posted:

My chud colleagues suddenly very concerned about executive orders.

I can't wait until the republican party is now very concerned about the power the executive branch holds.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is literally anyone going to believe any of the polling for the GA runoffs? I don’t believe that polling is now a dead science, I think they’ll be able to figure out what doesn’t work and fix things but that’s gonna be a long years long process that won’t be relevant until the midterms. But for an election in a couple months nothing is gonna be somehow all fixed.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

It tells you a lot about our system that Biden is going to coast to a big-rear end PV win once California et. al. are actually 100% counted in a week or whatever, and that his EC total is going to at least be fairly large (like probably 306)... but that arrived through a series of terrifying individual races that could have easily gone the wrong way.

We all know this, but: goddamn this is a loving stupid system.

Yeah, I feel like our collective disappointment here has a lot to do with the way the results are trickling in. And also the really misleading polling.

I can't help but wonder what the reaction would have been if the polling had correctly shown a close race, and we had gotten the results all at once on Election Day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I feel like our collective disappointment here has a lot to do with the way the results are trickling in. And also the really misleading polling.

I can't help but wonder what the reaction would have been if the polling had correctly shown a close race, and we had gotten the results all at once on Election Day.

Would I trade 3 months of higher anxiety for one night of 2016 PTSD, followed by 3 days of unease? Hard to say.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is literally anyone going to believe any of the polling for the GA runoffs? I don’t believe that polling is now a dead science, I think they’ll be able to figure out what doesn’t work and fix things but that’s gonna be a long years long process that won’t be relevant until the midterms. But for an election in a couple months nothing is gonna be somehow all fixed.

I think national Dems should stay the gently caress out of it and let the same team that delivered a blue Georgia run the runoff. I also think that we that don't live there should be cautious about donating, I heard some speculation among SC democrats that the nationalization of that Senate race and the (correct) perception that millions in out-of-state dollars flowing into Harrison's coffers hurt him more than it helped him. McGrath too, but I don't think she needed any help losing.

Basically there's an amount of money that's useful to win a given race, and everything above that is pointless, especially in a runoff, where extra money can't be used to help downballot.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

lol holy poo poo how have I lived my life this long and never seen this before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

zoux posted:

I think national Dems should stay the gently caress out of it and let the same team that delivered a blue Georgia run the runoff. I also think that we that don't live there should be cautious about donating, I heard some speculation among SC democrats that the nationalization of that Senate race and the (correct) perception that millions in out-of-state dollars flowing into Harrison's coffers hurt him more than it helped him. McGrath too, but I don't think she needed any help losing.

Possibly what happened with Gideon in Maine.