Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Also Nagini apparently has nipples and milk that Voldy used to build/sustain himself and I don't know if that's because Nagini was a magic snake or because Rowling failed Biology in High School.

actually it makes sense because Nagini is a human woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dordreff posted:

actually it makes sense because Nagini is a human woman

Rowling is going to reveal that wizards are all very stupid and racist and they all think asian people are snakes.

Edit: Parsletongue is just mandarin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

amigolupus posted:

So is Dark Magic supposed to be a metaphor for drug use/addiction? Because it'd be so much like JKR to say that using Dark Magic means you're evil forever (Never mind that Harry and friends used Unforgivables a lot during the last two books).

Other settings have used this, but pretty sure Voldemort's case is specifically because of the Horcruxes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Barudak posted:

Rowling is going to reveal that wizards are all very stupid and racist and they all think asian people are snakes.

Edit: Parsletongue is just mandarin

I think that's just in the text (the stupid and racist part). They're noted to be stupid repeatedly, and their interactions with foreigners range from patronizing to hostile.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Exactly one foreigner bothers to help the british wizards, and despite putting her life on the line for their war, all of her in laws hate her and call her names.

Wizarding Britain is probably a pariah state.

E: you think Seamus ever had words with his dorm mates about the Troubles

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 6, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And remember, this is the world that Harry decides to not just continue to be part of, but the one he actively supports by becoming a cop.

Should have ended the series with the mutual kill of him and Voldy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think dark magic is just a general name for all the magical stuff that can hurt you, which is a whole lot. The unforgiveable curses are just the most harmful spells that in theory are illegal, but unless you're involved in some other poo poo, nobody really cares.

One year defense against the dark arts was just teaching how to fight magical creatures.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Depp has announced he won't be coming back for any more Fantastic Beast movies.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly because WB asked him to drop out

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this! posted:

Depp has announced he won't be coming back for any more Fantastic Beast movies.

Not just that he won't be coming back, but that he was asked to quit

"Okay now that the libel suit crashed and burned I guess he really is a wife beater after all, we better adjust"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think dark magic is just a general name for all the magical stuff that can hurt you, which is a whole lot. The unforgiveable curses are just the most harmful spells that in theory are illegal, but unless you're involved in some other poo poo, nobody really cares.

One year defense against the dark arts was just teaching how to fight magical creatures.

You just know Hermione has an entire repertoire of dark magic memorized from all the time she spent researching in the library. Come to think of it, Hermione's the last person I'd want to piss off, considering how she gets when she's in a vindictive mode. Off the top of my memory, she had:

- Trapped Rita Skeeter while in bug form inside an unbreakable glass jar for an entire year.
- Conjured some enchanted birds to peck Ron for hours all because Ron started dating someone else.
- Charmed a contract without telling the members of Dumbledore's Army about it. Said charm made it so that Marietta Edgecombe got these awful pustules spelling SNEAK on her face that left a disfiguring scar for the rest of her life. :wtc:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone actually care about those? Dan Fogler and a wizard (not Eddie Redmayne) on a wacky adventure with creatures could have been good. These are just five garbage movies shoved together.

Also Newt should’ve been american and had no direct ties with any of the original Potter crap.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

No american would name their kid Newt. Brits though, Brits would.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Mom Weasley turned Bellatrix into a dessicated mummy-corpse, that's got to be a form of dark magic beyond Snape's papercut spell. So dark magic can't be all that uncommon.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ginny's signature spell is called "Bat-Bogey Hex" and during the ministry battle in book five she hits multiple people in the face with it, which completely debilitates them and takes them out of the fight by causing their face to grow dozens of tiny, fleshy batwings.

Like holy poo poo, just slice me up and be done with it, spare me the body horror. If that's not dark magic then that's bullshit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the second book what's his name screws up a spell and removes some of Harry's bones, leaving a flesh sack. So imagine doing that on purpose.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
One thing I think about a lot is hermione having them resize her teeth. They've definitely shown there are zero principles stopping body modification, so in reality every adult wizard would be super hot like in The Witcher. It would be one of the things the wizarding world developed early on

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And if body modification is so easy and straightforward, you’d think that trans wizards would be decently common.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheAardvark posted:

One thing I think about a lot is hermione having them resize her teeth. They've definitely shown there are zero principles stopping body modification, so in reality every adult wizard would be super hot like in The Witcher. It would be one of the things the wizarding world developed early on

The reason Harry is rich is because his ancestor made a bunch of money off inventing beauty potions.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also Newt should’ve been american and had no direct ties with any of the original Potter crap.

"No direct ties to original Potter stories" was how it was pitched when it was announced, and then somewhere along the way it became "I'm going to tell you a story you already heard, but very poorly, and with a lot of extraneous bullshit thrown in" (Also it turned from a trilogy into a pentalogy, but with how the box office went for the second one I bet it's going to shrink)

Regalingualius posted:

And if body modification is so easy and straightforward, you’d think that trans wizards would be decently common.

"J.K., about the script for Fantastic Beasts 3...do we really need this 40 page detour in the second act to talk about how 'there are three unforgivable curses, but only ONE unforgivable charm'?"
"I'm only staying on this stupid project to talk about that exact point."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The wizard red-light district must be wild

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sydin posted:

The reason Harry is rich is because his ancestor made a bunch of money off inventing beauty potions.

Specifically wizard hair gel.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
btw the banking system at gringotts is stupid as poo poo !!! Why the hell do the weasleys gotta keep their subsistence wages in a pile on the floor

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Weasleys are dirt poor but everyone knows exactly who they are and Arthur regularly hangs out with the Prime Minister

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think the Weasley's being poor is supposed to be a thing about them having a bajillion kids to put bread on the table for, but it falls apart as soon as you stop thinking whimsically.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

galagazombie posted:

I think the Weasley's being poor is supposed to be a thing about them having a bajillion kids to put bread on the table for, but it falls apart as soon as you stop thinking whimsically.

It doesn't help that Arthur basically took a low-paying, less prestigious government job because it aligned with his hobbies instead of going into a business that would actually make him money to provide for his family.

Also, it's pretty heavily implied throughout the books that the reason why the Weasleys have so many kids is because Molly wanted a daughter, and they just kept trying until they got one.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If Arthur ever left his job his replacement would be at his doorstep the next day. He needs to keep that job to keep himself safe.

And while Ron has to deal with crappy hand me downs and arthur is going to rely on his ministry pension, I don't think it's suggested they ever failed to have food on the table or the like.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the Weasleys are in relative more than actual poverty generally.

The only real exception is their refusal to buy Ron a new wand even after his wand breaks. That poor kid spends an entire school year literally unable to do magic at a magic school.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

W.T. Fits posted:

It doesn't help that Arthur basically took a low-paying, less prestigious government job because it aligned with his hobbies instead of going into a business that would actually make him money to provide for his family.

Also, it's pretty heavily implied throughout the books that the reason why the Weasleys have so many kids is because Molly wanted a daughter, and they just kept trying until they got one.

Nothing wrong with someone working where they're happy. They're never portrayed as starving and still manage to take care of everyone AND every single child of theirs excels.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's interesting that it's not until Fred and George start making bank with their joke shop that we hear about the kids explicitly putting money back into the family. Bill works for the Wizard Bank as basically a treasure hunter: he breaks into tombs and dispels their curses so the bank can rob all the sweet loot. Likewise Charlie is a dragontamer and this is explicitly called out as being one of the most dangerous jobs imaginable as a wizard, the few times he shows up it's remarked that he's covered head to toe with scars from handling dragons. Both of the professions sound like they should be making pretty good money and both kids are on good terms with their parents, and yet we never hear about them pitching in financially. I'll excuse Percy since by the time he gets a sweet government gig he's estranged from his family. Meanwhile Molly actively tried to sabotage Fred and George's business for like two full books, but they happily turn around and go "hey mom we're rolling, have some cash and buy yourself something nice."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're definitely not poor poor seeing as they own a big rear end house on a parcel of land.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Ron's broken wand is one of the most needlessly cruel things in the books. Why doesn't Hogwarts have an in-house wand repair shop? Wouldn't that be an integral wizard thing?

Like yeah the ridiculous way they buy their first wand is a great piece of whimsy but come the gently caress on every kid that sits on their wand has to go pay hundreds of dollars or w/e for a new one? gently caress off

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Why would any of the teachers let him use that wand anyway? Like he's real lucky it was just slugs, he could have killed somebody in class any time that year. loving psychotic

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

They're definitely not poor poor seeing as they own a big rear end house on a parcel of land.

They're a metaphor for impoverished nobility. Families that had a name and a bloodline and a some property, but had long since squandered their generational wealth and had to resort to actually working, which naturally got them looked down upon by the ruling nobles who still had wealth. Arthur is just as pureblooded as Lucius is but Lucius considers him inferior because he's poor and works a more menial job involving the peasants muggles.

It was actually a pretty common situation in Europe among noble families, particularly later on once the Industrial Revolution supplanted agriculture as the primary means of wealth generation, and the proliferation of mercenaries meant being a good noble was less about having enough money to occasionally arm some guys and bring them to a battle and more about if you could throw constantly the biggest parties in the biggest venues, and show up wearing the biggest diamonds.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheAardvark posted:

Ron's broken wand is one of the most needlessly cruel things in the books. Why doesn't Hogwarts have an in-house wand repair shop? Wouldn't that be an integral wizard thing?

Like yeah the ridiculous way they buy their first wand is a great piece of whimsy but come the gently caress on every kid that sits on their wand has to go pay hundreds of dollars or w/e for a new one? gently caress off

I don't think you can fix wands outside of the Elder Wand's bullshit but it is dumb that Hogwarts doesn't have loaner wands of any kind. Also IIRC Dumbledore explicitly mentions to Riddle that Hogwarts has a scholarship fund for students who can't afford the required equipment, but I guess the Weasleys never bothered applying for it because???

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

Why would any of the teachers let him use that wand anyway? Like he's real lucky it was just slugs, he could have killed somebody in class any time that year. loving psychotic

I mean look at the poo poo it did to Lockheart, loving permanent brain damage that he never recovers from.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The house is a magic togethered piece of patchwork, and I don't think wizards need to do anything for land thats not in a high-demand wizard area. Just throw some magic on a plot of dirt no other wizard is using so muggles can't see it and boom, free land.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Sydin posted:

I don't think you can fix wands outside of the Elder Wand's bullshit but it is dumb that Hogwarts doesn't have loaner wands of any kind. Also IIRC Dumbledore explicitly mentions to Riddle that Hogwarts has a scholarship fund for students who can't afford the required equipment, but I guess the Weasleys never bothered applying for it because???

Or Harry could have just bought him a new one, he's loaded.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

amigolupus posted:

You just know Hermione has an entire repertoire of dark magic memorized from all the time she spent researching in the library. Come to think of it, Hermione's the last person I'd want to piss off, considering how she gets when she's in a vindictive mode. Off the top of my memory, she had:

- Trapped Rita Skeeter while in bug form inside an unbreakable glass jar for an entire year.
- Conjured some enchanted birds to peck Ron for hours all because Ron started dating someone else.
- Charmed a contract without telling the members of Dumbledore's Army about it. Said charm made it so that Marietta Edgecombe got these awful pustules spelling SNEAK on her face that left a disfiguring scar for the rest of her life. :wtc:

The first and last ones absolutely deserved it mind, snitches get stitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hermione also destroyed her parents lives. Like holy poo poo she just overwrites them with different people and sends them to Australia for a year without their consent.

It's insanely hosed up.