Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

I know, I was kidding. For what it's worth, I tought "Dr. Mandible" was also meant to be taken as a nickname.
Dr. Mandible is his name in the same way that Hammerhead and Walrus Man are their names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’ve been expecting something like that to happen. Maybe season 3.

Baby Yoda's hover crib gets one of those helicopter lightsabers and becomes a mini gunship for Mando

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want this thing in the Mando

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

CelticPredator posted:

I want this thing in the Mando

That "thing" is a lady, and she's called Wioslea.

Why do I know these things

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TK-42-1 posted:

Old EU but that was established in Rogue Squad when Horn is an ex-cop xwing pilot on Corellia. It makes a certain amount of sense. I think the razor crest was supposed to be an old police cruiser. Speaking of:

Yeah, but Corran sucked so that was alright.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Vintersorg posted:

Sedaris rules. Anyone against her... just what the heck man!

I've like her in everything else but I can't stand her hyper hammy delivery of every line she has on this show, up until this episode. This time I thought she was kinda perfect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dave Syndrome posted:

That "thing" is a lady, and she's called Wioslea.

Why do I know these things

I learned of that googly eyed potato the other day and have been cracking up about for a day

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

teagone posted:

I just like the frog lady character, ok? Leave me alone :(

[edit] I just find her situation super relatable. That's all.

:sigh:

No reason you shouldn’t, the frog lady’s acting was better than Amy Sedaris.

I didn’t really like the egg thing either. Seemed like wannabe Rick and Morty style life doesn’t matter when the universe is huge type humor that doesn’t fit in with the show to me.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the funniest bit is that eating the spider egg nearly gets them all killed – there's a clear moral and he doesn't give a poo poo!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Frankenstyle posted:

I've like her in everything else but I can't stand her hyper hammy delivery of every line she has on this show, up until this episode. This time I thought she was kinda perfect.

The ham is strong with this show; Carl Weathers perfectly captured the spirit of it. I think I mentioned it in the old thread, but they're all acting like characters from a FMV video game from the 90s, and it's just :discourse:

The fact that Mando is such a stark contrast when he's interacting with these supporting roles just makes it better, like highlighting how much of a stranger/outsider he is to this hammy Star Wars universe

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

TK-42-1 posted:

I just put together the lego razor crest with my son and there’s an escape pod on the top with a porthole so you can see the mini fog insides’s head. I guessed it’s a spoiler of sorts since they haven’t mentioned it at all on the show. I haven’t watched this episode yet tho.

Lego sets are always designed with play features and interactivity in mind. Slapping an escape pod on the top doesn't mean poo poo, especially when it was being designed a year ago based on the concept art for the first series a long time before they started working on the second.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I hope Carano’s agent is giving her the facts of life talk that her resume puts her career trajectory as a chud actor in Kevin Sorbo’s orbit and not Clint Eastwood’s. Also that body diversification is great and the people she hates are the ones who think a rebel shock trooper should be played by someone of her current body type while the people she supports are probably mad it’s not her former.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 7, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So some interesting observations:

-I feel like it's only been recently that human characters actually made an effort to speak alien languages. I guess the exception is huttese from RotJ, and the fact that Han knows some Wookie words. Mando is quite the polyglot himself and I like that he's speaks several of them poorly.

-I don't know why, but a Jawa brandishing a knife came off as more menacing than they usually do. Maybe because they don't seem agressive by nature, rather opportunistic.

-How big are sectors exactly? When they said "no hyperdrive" I assumed they were just going to go to a nearby planet or something in the same solar system, since traveling sublight interstellar distances doesn't sound practical.

-Baby Yoda Eat the Eggs

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lego sets are always designed with play features and interactivity in mind. Slapping an escape pod on the top doesn't mean poo poo, especially when it was being designed a year ago based on the concept art for the first series a long time before they started working on the second.

I dunno. The escape pod is on the HasLab Razorcrest too. And goddamn I wish I knew that was in the pipeline. Order cut off is in three days and I just put the last 400 bux down on my baby Yoda pre-order.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
BaeYo ate that spider no problem but it gave me the worst xenomorph images in my head and I just want him to be safe.

Frankenstyle posted:

I dunno. The escape pod is on the HasLab Razorcrest too. And goddamn I wish I knew that was in the pipeline. Order cut off is in three days and I just put the last 400 bux down on my baby Yoda pre-order.

I think Star Wars strategy is more into trying to make his existing ship iconic than trying to sell everyone on new ones every year like G.I. Joe.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 7, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Panfilo posted:

So some interesting observations:

-I don't know why, but a Jawa brandishing a knife came off as more menacing than they usually do. Maybe because they don't seem agressive by nature, rather opportunistic.

That was one of the things in Force Awakens that tried to capture BB-8, not a Jawa. Wasn’t a very memorable scene in episode 7. I noticed they also reused one of the white wooly rebel aliens from Rogue One in the cantina scene.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
That spider chase was so well done. I'm old and tired enough that I reserve most of my empathy for IRL folks and it's rare that I white knuckle my way through media, but damned if I wasn't on the edge of my seat through that whole sequence.

Piney
Oct 14, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

That spider chase was so well done. I'm old and tired enough that I reserve most of my empathy for IRL folks and it's rare that I white knuckle my way through media, but damned if I wasn't on the edge of my seat through that whole sequence.

The CG in this season is soooo good. Best part of spider chase was frog lady deciding to speed up with leaping.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CubanMissile posted:

Seemed like wannabe Rick and Morty style life doesn’t matter when the universe is huge type humor that doesn’t fit in with the show to me.

He doesn't know what he should and shouldn't eat. The stuff he keeps eating has a semi-aquatic theme to it, making it feel like he's eating what he's supposed to eat...just at the wrong time. The joke is more that he isn't listening, not lol futility of existence lol

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Sash! posted:

He doesn't know what he should and shouldn't eat. The stuff he keeps eating has a semi-aquatic theme to it, making it feel like he's eating what he's supposed to eat...just at the wrong time. The joke is more that he isn't listening, not lol futility of existence lol

Except the episode is supposed to be about this woman trying to save her family line and transport eggs for intelligent life. I’d agree with you more if she was just some rich woman trying to transport rare and valuable space caviar, not “haha baby ate the nice lady’s future children”.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
I dunno feels reasonable that r-selected species, sentient or not, wouldn't attach too much emotional significance to an individual egg :biotruths:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Piney posted:

The CG in this season is soooo good. Best part of spider chase was frog lady deciding to speed up with leaping.

agreed. frog lady rules

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Zoracle Zed posted:

I dunno feels reasonable that r-selected species, sentient or not, wouldn't attach too much emotional significance to an individual egg :biotruths:

Fair but I still think it’s a little bit weird of a way to go for the episode.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 7, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CubanMissile posted:

Fair but I still think it’s a little bit weird of a way to go for the episode.

It's very clearly saying that eating the eggs is bad though.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Zoracle Zed posted:

I think this is the essential disconnect that people are feeling. Part of our brain knows that this type of creature wouldn't be likely to be concerned about individual eggs, but everything about the episode is directed in a way that tells us these are precious cargo that she cares deeply about, so it just feels a bit off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baby Yoda is doing an arc now.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Didn't love it. It felt like a bottle episode without the bottle.

Good Bae-Yo moments though, and that's what's important.

Dr. Mandible is a great name.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

:hmmyes: thank you gisnep subtitle guy

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

No ones cares that they ate dragon meat. Poor dragon.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Frog Lady was awesome and I loved the hell out of that whole spider attack. Though next week, i'm going to have to insist that we start getting some plot development. This isn't a 20 episode season, afterall.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's very clearly saying that eating the eggs is bad though.

It’s bad if he eats ALL the eggs

Baby yoda can have little a egg, as a treat

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

I get that. I just feel like the circumstances presented didn't translate the dark humor well, and instead ended up shifting more towards legit disturbing for me. Baby Yoda inherently being anti-frog is the only reasonable explanation I will accept lmao.

No, Baby Yoda is very much pro-frog - much in the way that the Krayt Dragon from the last episode was very much pro Sand People.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The galaxy should be glad yodas are so small as they clearly eat whatever is smaller than them.

Alive.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Haven’t caught up, is season 2 good so far?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Pollyanna posted:

Haven’t caught up, is season 2 good so far?

Good individual episodes but minimal overall plot progression.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Frog lady knew some of eggs were missing after she checked on the container after they crashed.

She was upset, but not that upset.

Yes, it was dark and messed up and played as humour. And personally, that's what made me like it. Baby Yoda is doing what all babies do and, as adults, we're meant to be saying "Oh god, don't put that in your mouth!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like Dr. Mandible. Give him his own series.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dr. Mandible.....is a lovely Sabacc player.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Gonz posted:

Frog Lady was awesome and I loved the hell out of that whole spider attack. Though next week, i'm going to have to insist that we start getting some plot development. This isn't a 20 episode season, afterall.

That's always been the show though. One off adventures out in the wild while on a journey.

I was curious if they were going to move away from that in the second season but they seem to know the kind of show they want to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't mind there just Being Adventures, it really hits the samurai western vibe that the original movies were inspired by.