Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a thread recommended POE switch? I need more ports so I can connect a Steam Link Raspberry Pi and my Samsung TV via Ethernet but I also need to be able to able to ideally power two device via POE.

My setup is as follows:

Fibre ONT > Unifi ER-x > Netgear 8 port switch > in-wall cabling to two ethernet jacks > (new poe switch).

The POE powered devices are a Unifi UAP (6W) a TP-Link NC450 camera (12W?). I may also look to add another camera at some point so three POE ports would be ideal.

The Netgear GS105PE looks like it might fit the bill but it only has two POE ports and looks like the power consumption I need might be borderline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

skipdogg posted:

HP switch(es)

Any particular ones you like? I've been considering getting a full rack and actually getting a real home lab set up, and seeing as how I work for hpe these days I'd like to believe I could save some money on them

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm torn, the 2930F series are really good but it's clear that the ProVision stuff is being phased out slowly, the CX6200s are great access switches but the prices are a bit insane. If the idea is to lab things up then AOS-CX has to be the way to go though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Speaking of steam link, any trickery I can do to reduce lag between my desktop and shield for game stream? There's just enough when playing dark souls to make bosses and PvP more difficult than it should be. Everything is hard wired.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Do you have GPU encoding enabled in the streaming host settings? That may help reduce latency if it's not already enabled.

There will always be more lag streaming video, audio, and controller inputs over the network than when the network is not involved though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Red_Fred posted:

Is there a thread recommended POE switch? I need more ports so I can connect a Steam Link Raspberry Pi and my Samsung TV via Ethernet but I also need to be able to able to ideally power two device via POE.

My setup is as follows:

Fibre ONT > Unifi ER-x > Netgear 8 port switch > in-wall cabling to two ethernet jacks > (new poe switch).

The POE powered devices are a Unifi UAP (6W) a TP-Link NC450 camera (12W?). I may also look to add another camera at some point so three POE ports would be ideal.

The Netgear GS105PE looks like it might fit the bill but it only has two POE ports and looks like the power consumption I need might be borderline.

I have an EdgeSwitch 10XP and I like it. Easy to configure and manage. I don’t use it for PoE but it supports it and I’ve got friends that use it for that without issue.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fletcher posted:

I would be curious to see what their support has to say for Fallom's issue - Fallom can you keep us posted?

I had a moment with it so there won’t be any updates on that particular matter. I picked up a Netgear RAX10 combo router/AP to replace it and have way better signal strength despite placing it in a way more inadequate location in the basement. My iPhone doesn’t constantly flip between Wi-Fi and LTE anymore, either.

I’m moving across country in a couple days and when I get there I think I’ll order an Eero setup or something similar instead of sticking with UniFi equipment like originally planned.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Azhais posted:

Any particular ones you like? I've been considering getting a full rack and actually getting a real home lab set up, and seeing as how I work for hpe these days I'd like to believe I could save some money on them

I don’t have a good Layer 3 recommendation. I picked up a refurb 1810-24g off eBay for like 120 bucks about 2 years ago. I just wanted something fanless and good quality.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a best practice as far as SSID goes? Do you guys use the same one for 2,4 and 5 GHz networks or do you keep them separate?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a best practice as far as SSID goes? Do you guys use the same one for 2,4 and 5 GHz networks or do you keep them separate?

I keep mine separate - I like being able to manage what connects at what frequency.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

I keep them separate so that I know when something is a cheap piece of poo poo that I should try to replace in the future.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

Combined for my main network, separate for IoT.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

I keep the SSIDs the same; I have two APs with transmit powers set up so devices naturally prefer the best option. Fast roaming stuff disabled as well, if I recall correctly. Band steering set to 'Prefer 5GHz'.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

This might be the wrong thread, but is there a way to get the Nvidia Shield Pro to run an .exe file off an external hard drive? I'm trying to set up a remote Calibre server like I have for my Plex server and I figured the Shield would be the best option since it's always on (I hate leaving my computer on 24/7). So I have the portable version of Calibre installed on my external and that's plugged in to the Shield, but it just won't run the .exe file. I don't know if there's some setting I need to en/disable or if I need to download an app or something but it is just fighting me.

I guess worst case scenario I can just upload PDF version of everything to my Google Drive, but I'd rather use that as a last resort.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Exe files are for Windows. Android won't run them. Install something from the app store.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Exe files are for Windows. Android won't run them. Install something from the app store.

Yea I just realized that myself. Whelp!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I got my HP T730 and HP NC365T NIC to setup pfSense. I'm thinking I'm going to need a low profile bracket for this NIC since it doesn't look like it would fit. Didn't see that discussed when reading about this stuff but I've seen some pictures of them with a different bracket. Anyone familiar with that? Can I just unscrew it and pop a new one on?

Don't see how to get just the bracket that would fit the NIC.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 8, 2020

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

what are my options for replacing a number of unifi aps with wifi 6 (ax) aps? ideally the solution won't require me to mess with my current router/switch situation

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Incessant Excess posted:

I just got an Archer AX21 and gave up on using a common SSID after about a day. Its band steering feature doesn't work at all. An hour after rebooting the router, it starts steering everything to 2.4Ghz, even a laptop sitting literally right next to it with an excellent signal.

YMMV with other products.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thoom posted:

I just got an Archer AX21 and gave up on using a common SSID after about a day. Its band steering feature doesn't work at all. An hour after rebooting the router, it starts steering everything to 2.4Ghz, even a laptop sitting literally right next to it with an excellent signal.

YMMV with other products.

Band steering is luck based. Just like all wifi.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I set mine to the same and worry about a device when it has problems. But I'm in the burbs so I only have some 2.4ghz interference and have multiple APs.

Might be a different conversation if I had a condo downtown.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
If I want to share internet with my neighbours but don’t want them to have access to all the devices on my network, what do I do to separate their “half” of the network?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I have a house where we don't have internet. We just use a personal hotspot and tethering from our phones. This works as well as any option we've ever tried and until they roll fibre up to our front door, it will be our internet solution. it sucks poo poo but it's better than Hughesnet.

I have an old-rear end Time Capsule, bought in Fall 2009, back when I thought I would be living somewhere with a normal internet situation. Recently I've just had it connected to my Hue bridge and nothing else to allow for controlling my lights. I also back up to it and occasionally have a wireless speaker connected to the same network. I've always had the problem that my iPhone and iPad hate connecting to it because they don't comprehend the concept of a network without internet and yell at me that there's no internet and that's a problem, even though it's not a problem. As of late, my phone and tablet won't even connect to this network at all, which makes controlling my lights with my phone functionally impossible. I'm able to connect the personal hotspot to the Time Capsule by ethernet when I need to update the lights but it's not something that can be done 24/7 for a number of reasons, most importantly that keeping the hotspot plugged in all the time fucks up the lithium battery inside, so we mostly just break it out when we need to and keep it shut off otherwise.

the Time Capsule is getting old and I'm starting to look for a new router to replace it with, but I worry that no matter what I get, even if it's something from within the Apple ecosystem (which they don't make anymore anyways), my phone and tablet are not going to want to connect to it because there's no internet there. Is there something I need to set on my phone or my router to ignore that? I've spent hours multiple times over the last 5 or so years on Google trying to figure this out but I can't seem to find a consistent answer, and it's only gotten worse because one of the last few iOS updates seems to have adjusted how iPhones deal with networks without internet for the worse.

All I want to be able to do is to connect to a wireless network at home that isn't connected to the internet, but is connected to my Hue Bridge, a wireless speaker, a printer, and maybe a hard drive for backing up, and I want to be able to control those things with my phone. My questions are: Should I even bother with anything more than a basic router since I'm not doing anything data/speed intensive? and what do I need to do to my phone/current router/hypothetical new router to make them play nice without an Internet connection, or do I just have to give up on my dream of being able to do nice things wirelessly like a normal person?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

If I want to share internet with my neighbours but don’t want them to have access to all the devices on my network, what do I do to separate their “half” of the network?

What exactly are you using today? Make, model, and os if custom. For example my old ddwrt router had this out of the box as an easy to setup thing. Others it's either impossible or very hard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

I have a house where we don't have internet. We just use a personal hotspot and tethering from our phones. This works as well as any option we've ever tried and until they roll fibre up to our front door, it will be our internet solution. it sucks poo poo but it's better than Hughesnet.

I have an old-rear end Time Capsule, bought in Fall 2009, back when I thought I would be living somewhere with a normal internet situation. Recently I've just had it connected to my Hue bridge and nothing else to allow for controlling my lights. I also back up to it and occasionally have a wireless speaker connected to the same network. I've always had the problem that my iPhone and iPad hate connecting to it because they don't comprehend the concept of a network without internet and yell at me that there's no internet and that's a problem, even though it's not a problem. As of late, my phone and tablet won't even connect to this network at all, which makes controlling my lights with my phone functionally impossible. I'm able to connect the personal hotspot to the Time Capsule by ethernet when I need to update the lights but it's not something that can be done 24/7 for a number of reasons, most importantly that keeping the hotspot plugged in all the time fucks up the lithium battery inside, so we mostly just break it out when we need to and keep it shut off otherwise.

the Time Capsule is getting old and I'm starting to look for a new router to replace it with, but I worry that no matter what I get, even if it's something from within the Apple ecosystem (which they don't make anymore anyways), my phone and tablet are not going to want to connect to it because there's no internet there. Is there something I need to set on my phone or my router to ignore that? I've spent hours multiple times over the last 5 or so years on Google trying to figure this out but I can't seem to find a consistent answer, and it's only gotten worse because one of the last few iOS updates seems to have adjusted how iPhones deal with networks without internet for the worse.

All I want to be able to do is to connect to a wireless network at home that isn't connected to the internet, but is connected to my Hue Bridge, a wireless speaker, a printer, and maybe a hard drive for backing up, and I want to be able to control those things with my phone. My questions are: Should I even bother with anything more than a basic router since I'm not doing anything data/speed intensive? and what do I need to do to my phone/current router/hypothetical new router to make them play nice without an Internet connection, or do I just have to give up on my dream of being able to do nice things wirelessly like a normal person?

Assuming there is no web interface that you could use on a computer to control the lights, is there an Android app for it? Have you tried using an Android phone instead of an Apple device? If the network fuckery is an iOS thing (which wouldn't surprise me) then it seems like a cheap Android phone that just handles your networked devices might be a workaround.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

I got my HP T730 and HP NC365T NIC to setup pfSense. I'm thinking I'm going to need a low profile bracket for this NIC since it doesn't look like it would fit. Didn't see that discussed when reading about this stuff but I've seen some pictures of them with a different bracket. Anyone familiar with that? Can I just unscrew it and pop a new one on?

Don't see how to get just the bracket that would fit the NIC.

You can buy a low profile bracket off eBay for cheap, and until it comes in can remove the full profile bracket and run without. It's just not as neat / sturdy. Installation is two little Philips head screws.

edit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Profil...3oAAOSwQJhUfl4O

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ubiquiti has apparently been quietly working on v2.0.9 EdgeRouter firmware for the better part of a year instead of rushing out a bunch of broken stuff as 'stable'. 2.0.9 fixes the "Throughput degradation by 5-10% when comparing with v1.10.x firmware with older kernel" issue. It already went through 5 beta versions and is, as of a few weeks ago, on its third release candidate version which allegedly finally fixes: "On Cavium-based routers (ER, ER-Pro, ER-Lite, ER-PoE, ER-4, ER-6P, ER-12, ER-Infinity) small percentage of UDP packets are randomly reordered. This issue was fixed in v1.10.0 firmware but it reappeared since v2.0.0 because of new Ethernet driver. We are in contact with SoC vendor to fix this issue."

Looking forward to when 2.0.9 is finally marked as stable. It's about time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DC Murderverse posted:

Your phone should still connect to WiFi even if the WiFi does not have internet. At least mine does. And I can control my lights still, either in the Hue App or HomeKit.

A potential problem is that if your phone detects WiFi it can connect to with internet is it might try to connect to that instead as it prefers that (like if your neighbor has a strong router) even if that connection is faint. You can set your phone to not auto connect to that network, but it’s annoying in the meantime.

Geofencing won’t work without the internet, nor remote control for obvious reasons.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Beaucoup Haram posted:

You can buy a low profile bracket off eBay for cheap, and until it comes in can remove the full profile bracket and run without. It's just not as neat / sturdy. Installation is two little Philips head screws.

edit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Profil...3oAAOSwQJhUfl4O

Thanks, now to wait for it from China.

Happen to know what power adapter is needed for the HP T730? I got this one since it says it works but I get an error beep code that probably means it's wrong https://www.ebay.com/itm/303627352794

Think I might need this one which is 85W instead of 65W https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-OEM-HP-19-5-85-Watt-Power-Supply-T530-T630-T730-Thin-Client-843233-001/133495246478

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Rick posted:

Your phone should still connect to WiFi even if the WiFi does not have internet. At least mine does. And I can control my lights still, either in the Hue App or HomeKit.

A potential problem is that if your phone detects WiFi it can connect to with internet is it might try to connect to that instead as it prefers that (like if your neighbor has a strong router) even if that connection is faint. You can set your phone to not auto connect to that network, but it’s annoying in the meantime.

Geofencing won’t work without the internet, nor remote control for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I use my iphone 11 to set up custom IoT devices all the time and they don’t have internet and it works just fine. I also have connected to a raspberry pi camera AP that has no internet. You must have a setting set or something if it really doesn’t work. Or maybe the time capsule is weird, idk

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

What's currently the best recommendation for a Wifi router? Asking for tech clueless parents, and because the OP hasn't been updated since 2018.

e: Apparently they know enough to be curious about a combination modem/router.

eggyolk fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 10, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

What exactly are you using today? Make, model, and os if custom. For example my old ddwrt router had this out of the box as an easy to setup thing. Others it's either impossible or very hard.

Just a TP-Link Archer C7v2 (AC1750) with the latest firmware. I could probably switch over to the all-in-one that my ISP left, but I immediately switched that to bridge mode and never looked back.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

movax posted:

I have a psychological aversion to buying anything from Intel that's Celeron / Atom / not part of the "main" Core series. It's completely irrational and there is data to prove I'm wrong, but I just remember those generations where they knee-capped the gently caress out of Celerons and they were god awful.

You said you don't care about VPN speeds though, so the main reason (they benched here: https://protectli.com/kb/openvpn-performance/) to get the FW6x doesn't apply to you. But seeing as even 10+ year old machines could theoretically support Gbit line rates, you'd be 'future proofing' for awhile if you got a FW6 I think, in case you wanted to throw VPN or other functions on there.

Your aversion is well-founded, I got burned by the J-series Celerons in NAS enclosures, and I still eye the newer hardware we used to replace it with suspicion and distrust.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

eggyolk posted:

What's currently the best recommendation for a Wifi router? Asking for tech clueless parents, and because the OP hasn't been updated since 2018.

e: Apparently they know enough to be curious about a combination modem/router.

Just based off *tech clueless older adults" and assuming they own a house or at least a dwelling that would benefit from more than one AP, go with one of the mesh kits like the eero or Google nest. Probably whatever is available on sale from a local shop that they can return it if needed with little hassle.

They look stylish, simple to setup, provide good coverage and speed for your average user and don't require you to get involved.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 10, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Your aversion is well-founded, I got burned by the J-series Celerons in NAS enclosures, and I still eye the newer hardware we used to replace it with suspicion and distrust.

I had a huge deployment of Atom Avoton SoCs and they pretty much all died. Not even a 'bad AES performance or something' type of problem but just dies after a while.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

I had a huge deployment of Atom Avoton SoCs and they pretty much all died. Not even a 'bad AES performance or something' type of problem but just dies after a while.

Was that the LPC clock bug that murdered them?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Biowarfare posted:

Known, documented hardware issue. Absolutely huge fuckup by Intel, I can't believe they messed up that badly: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11110/semi-critical-intel-atom-c2000-flaw-discovered

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
No one every got fired for buying intel, except that time 10s of thousands of chips died in the field and probably sank a few companies.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
They've ceded an ever-increasing part of the embedded market to ARM anyway.

A lot of the stuff that could have Atoms has ARM chips now, at better performance per watt to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The newest x86 Synology has a Ryzen Embedded in which on paper outperforms the Xeon-D in the model that is nearly twice the price.