Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ToxicAcne posted:

Interesting how this reached across political aisles. Reminds me of a guy I knew in University. He was pretty leftwing and part of the executive for the Campus NDP but when I mentioned that Remembrance Day would sometimes veer into jingoism, he got very cheesed.

Big contrast to where I grew up, where most people didn't give a poo poo about the poppy.

Edit: Question for the older people here. Was Remembrance Day before 9/11 really less jingoistic?

The message I got as a kid in the 70s and 80s was "never forget that war is awful".

I'm not sure 9/11 had anything to do with anything though. In the 70s and 80s the war that was hanging over our heads was global thermonuclear war. In the course of a few hours everybody in the cities dies, everybody near the cities dies a few weeks later, everybody outside the cities starves in nuclear winter or later dies of cancer -- a civilization ending threat. The only winning move is to not play.

Then the soviet union collapsed, the berlin wall fell, and the threat of global thermonuclear war evaporated. Sure, some former soviet nukes went missing, but a guy with just a few nukes is a threat to a city, not a threat to human civilization. And that guy with just one bomb or a suitcase nuke is pretty unlikely to target Canada.

The Gulf War in 1990-1991 was Canada's first big thing after the fall of the Soviet Union. We have to defend that little guy, Kuwait (who most of us had never heard of) against big bad Iraq. It was a short, victorious war -- the ideal for jingoism to spring up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My main memory of Remembrance Day in the 80s is hearing Flanders Fields read every year and then the teachers making us affect British accents while singing some song.

Bear in mind that back then there were still way more WW2 and even WW1 veterans alive, and many of them did not gently caress around with glorifying this stuff.

e. my grandfather was a decorated first-wave Juno beach veteran and he went to every memorial service, and I never once heard him suggest that war was good or fun or cool. I never once heard him tell a story about the war. When it would come up he'd get quiet, and I'm pretty sure that he'd box someone's ears if he heard the "are troops" tripe that people spew now.

CommonShore has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Nov 7, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ToxicAcne posted:

Interesting how this reached across political aisles. Reminds me of a guy I knew in University. He was pretty leftwing and part of the executive for the Campus NDP but when I mentioned that Remembrance Day would sometimes veer into jingoism, he got very cheesed.

Big contrast to where I grew up, where most people didn't give a poo poo about the poppy.

Edit: Question for the older people here. Was Remembrance Day before 9/11 really less jingoistic?

The extent will depend on your own politics and interpretation but that's definitely always been an element

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

I think the big turning point wasn't 9/11, it was when we deployed troops to Afghanistan. That helped accelerate a shift from "Remembrance Day is to remember past victims of war, especially soldiers" to "Remembrance Day is to celebrate Our Brave Heroes Fighting Overseas To Defend Our Freedom".

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

Whole foods recently just banned employees from wearing poppies on their uniform, due to dress code reasons.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/whole-foods-bans-poppies-1.5791551

Hand Knit posted:

I'm extremely ready for the chud machine to accuse people wearing BLM pins of exploiting the sacrifice of our most noble veterans, and rudely politicizing remembrance day.

iirc, the Whole Foods rule against symbols was instituted to stop people people from wearing Black Lives Matter masks :laugh:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I haven't worn a poppy in years. Not out of any particular ideological commitment but because I almost never have a toonie on me.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

i'm legit mad i didn't think of it

i'm glad i'm not in a position to monetize it because gently caress that's tempting

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

littleorv posted:

I haven't worn a poppy in years. Not out of any particular ideological commitment but because I almost never have a toonie on me.

Same. If I could tap my phone against a card reader for a couple bucks in front of the grocery store and get a poppy that actually stays loving attached I'd be more inclined

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why show support for terrible causes when you can save some loonies and not do it?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Million dollar idea right here

punisher Spartan helmet poppy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

The message I got as a kid in the 70s and 80s was "never forget that war is awful".

Same but the 90s, but I think a large part of that was because I had a social studies teacher all through high school that was great at talking about the horrors of war without denigrating or venerating the soldiers that were pressured or forced to fight. He introduced me to Dulce et Decorum est and it's a far better poem than In Flanders Fields.

quote:

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime...
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

I think the big turning point wasn't 9/11, it was when we deployed troops to Afghanistan. That helped accelerate a shift from "Remembrance Day is to remember past victims of war, especially soldiers" to "Remembrance Day is to celebrate Our Brave Heroes Fighting Overseas To Defend Our Freedom".

It kicked into overdrive with Prime Minister Stephen "World War I was a good and just war and we should do it again" Harper, though WWI as a mythological lynchpin of reactionary Canadian nationalism has been around for a while. Ian McKay, of course. provides the essential reading.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

Same but the 90s, but I think a large part of that was because I had a social studies teacher all through high school that was great at talking about the horrors of war without denigrating or venerating the soldiers that were pressured or forced to fight. He introduced me to Dulce et Decorum est and it's a far better poem than In Flanders Fields.

My 90s/00s education was similar. We were taught that war was unimaginably horrible and veterans were poor souls made to suffer through it.

We also had a few WWII veterans tell us about how terrible it was and that we should be grateful if we never have to share that experience.

They were very careful not to imply that war was in any way heroic.

I blame Don Cherry.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
The more I think about it, the more I think I might just see less of the jingoism being in the Toronto area where we don’t even get the day off.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

fisting by many posted:

My 90s/00s education was similar. We were taught that war was unimaginably horrible and veterans were poor souls made to suffer through it.

Yup. Every year we watched this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozgJiJ5tCe4l, whose song you can now hear in your head despite not having clicked it

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
drat. I always got the whole schpeel about how the troops in Afghanistan are continuing the Brave Legacy of the WW1 and WW2 veterans by Fighting for Freedom and Democracy! This was done to an audience composed of like 40% Muslim kids so it's no surprise that a lot of them became hostile to the whole celebration of Remembrance Day.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ToxicAcne posted:

drat. I always got the whole schpeel about how the troops in Afghanistan are continuing the Brave Legacy of the WW1 and WW2 veterans by Fighting for Freedom and Democracy! This was done to an audience composed of like 40% Muslim kids so it's no surprise that a lot of them became hostile to the whole celebration of Remembrance Day.

yeah, that really was not a thing before we inserted ourselves into afghanistan

weirdly, i don't remember there being anything much mentioned about our missions in rawanda or former yugoslavia at the time either (in the context of remembrance day), but i was pretty young and might have just missed it

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Never pay for a poppy because a) the Legion is run by cosplay freaks who support stiffing real vets, and b) there are plenty of lost ones everywhere

Use a real pin to secure it if you don't want to bleed for the dead

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
support the anaf over the legion

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

Jesus lmao. hope they enjoy lying in the bed they made

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/moebius_strip/status/1324756791905800192?s=20

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

wearing an flq flag pin at my empty tip top tailors job

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i keep wearing my acab burning cop car pin to the law office but nobody's really commented on it yet

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

infernal machines posted:

doug ship the poppy stickers

actually, he'd probably get sued for that

"We asked 3M to make replacements 'very red' in honor of our troops and they came back reflecting the entire infrared spectrum blinding anyone looking directly at them."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So its ok to wear a black poppie commemorating all the black soldiers that died in the world wars? You know, because black soldiers matter?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I was at the Legion for a dance/fundraiser last year and one of the workers gave me poo poo and told me to get the hell off the property for smoking a joint in the parking lot. He was 80 years old easy.

Opium Poppy is good
Demon weed is evil

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

So its ok to wear a black poppie commemorating all the black soldiers that died in the world wars? You know, because black soldiers matter?

I've worn a black puppy of anarchism in prior years... You can also get white pacifist ones.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

xtal posted:

I've worn a black puppy of anarchism in prior years... You can also get white pacifist ones.

What do golden retrievers represent?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Unfortunately golden retrievers are anarcho capitalists

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

xtal posted:

Where can I get a white one? I grew up learning that Rememberance day was a day to remember that war is a terrible thing and to remember the sacrifices that others made, not "hoorah troops are great!" If I can use a white poppy to push against that message, then sign me the gently caress up. War is hell, and the people who fight in it should be mourned and pitied, not venerated and idolized.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

Where can I get a white one? I grew up learning that Rememberance day was a day to remember that war is a terrible thing and to remember the sacrifices that others made, not "hoorah troops are great!" If I can use a white poppy to push against that message, then sign me the gently caress up. War is hell, and the people who fight in it should be mourned and pitied, not venerated and idolized.

https://peacepoppies.ca/lapel-poppies/ if I remember right? I can only find wholesale on the website but I remember being able to buy some for :10bux: somewhere.

For the black one I just took a sharpie to it.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/comments/jpru96/nightmare_at_maples_pch/

Phone posting so you'll have to click links sorry.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/paramedics-called-to-maples-care-home-1.5794040

REVERA EVERYBODY (if even half of this is true...gently caress)

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

It's really nice to see that shitshow down south not devolve into urban warfare.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
give it time

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wait for Biden to start doing things

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

as of Friday night 72% of the residents of maples care home are infected with covid. this government needs to stand trial for criminal negligence

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that sucks. This whole thing sucks, and our government is trash.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

it’s saving us money now that we house our military in retirement homes

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DariusLikewise posted:

as of Friday night 72% of the residents of maples care home are infected with covid. this government needs to stand trial for criminal negligence

Wait this Maples?

https://twitter.com/CBCMarina/status/1321511871518773248?s=20

never mind... probably the wrong one...

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
drat there must be a lot of millennials in there