Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Cabbit posted:

That was always the absolute, bar-none worst case scenario for them, wasn't it? Short of blowing themselves up with their own nukes, that's as bad as it could conceivably get?

I'll let the UK Goons answer that but basically. I have seen that they are projected to contract their GDP by 4% so yeah bombing their own economy on top of the covid contraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

dwarf74 posted:

I confess to being super up my own rear end in US politics these past few months and ignoring global poo poo by and large.

Could you explain what Boris is making GBS threads bricks about?

Brexit is about leaving the trade agreements with the EU with the rest of the world.
Boris (and the Brexiteers) said 'we'll have better trade agreements day 1' back in 2016.
Four years later, have virtually gently caress all. The few trade deals they have managed are slightly worse and ineffectual.
With Trump, Boris could get a US trade deal where the US just ships whatever low grade food/goods they have left over to the UK, as well as open the UK up more to US businesses to take over.
Then Boris will claim 'hurrah we got a better deal' and drat the consequences of the businesses, health regulations, etc that would fall or get wiped out within the UK.
But Biden said he wouldn't deal if the Ireland/Northern Ireland problem isn't sorted, a situation Boris can't do as it's a catch 22 situation.
He will piss off one group or another, which will gently caress up himself and his party.
Now that Biden is more on EU's side and not his, Boris has nothing left, and they haven't set up anything to counter the No Deal that is looming on Jan 1st.
So squeaky bum time.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Welp definitely don't go to Biden's wiki unless you want some goatse.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

My social media is filled with people celebrating Harris right now. A lot of the pictures I'm seeing have Harris at the forefront and Biden behind her. I voted against Trump, I didn't vote for Biden/ Harris. So many people seem to be leaning into the first VP woman of color thing. Hope and change is a dangerous thing if we don't hold people accountable. Today is a time to celebrate, absolutely. But we as the electorate need to pay attention to how Biden and Harris conduct themselves, who they pick for the cabinet, etc. Like Cornell West said, BLM started when we had a black President, a black Attorney General, and a black Secretary of Homeland Security.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

davecrazy posted:

Why are these shitheels so good at this??

I don't get all the bitching about them but that sounds like it's the Generic Brand Video narrator, which makes it hard to watch without sensing a little tongue-in-cheek sarcasm.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hmmxkrazee posted:

Welp definitely don't go to Biden's wiki unless you want some goatse.

I can’t believe Joseph of YOSPOS’s first act as President-Elect was to goatse America.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

NikkolasKing posted:

This is what perplexes me. Sure, debate or doubt if humans are rational animals, but something still has to compel them, whether it's "reason" or "passion."

Trump has zero rhetorical ability. He can't talk. He looks like a clown. He obviously has no intelligence. What separates him from the Skinheads or people in white hoods we've been seeing on Jerry Springer or in documentaries for decades?

It's one thing to be hoodwinked by a beautiful, charismatic, silver-tongued, clever conman. Trump is none of these things. If this was fiction, people would say it's bad writing for such a bad villain to accomplish so much. It's just not believable somebody with zero ability managed this much.

I guess the only real answer is that he's a symptom, not the disease, just like people have been saying for years now. Decades of Republican propaganda created an environment where everything could come to a head with Trump. People were looking for a symbol or excuse, any symbol or excuse.

trump flat out repeats what fox news qanon reddit conservatives hear every day

the next gop candidate just needs to repeat the same things and they will love him for speaking the "truth"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I wonder what knee-jerk reaction Trump will have to try and take back the spotlight and narrative.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The gently caress was that press conference about anyway?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BigglesSWE posted:

I wonder what knee-jerk reaction Trump will have to try and take back the spotlight and narrative.

A spew of keywords on twitter and the commencement of the I Am The Most Wronged Man In History US Tour 2020

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am so loving mentally and physically exhausted

It ain't over. Besides the January runoff races, we just have a new person to pressure into abolishing ICE and the police, embracing the fight against climate change, and renaming Columbus Day to Super Mario Day.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
May he and all his enablers burn in hell.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

happyhippy posted:

Brexit is about leaving the trade agreements with the EU good uk stuff.......

I am sure Boris is currently making GBS threads himself, and coming closer to materialising the rumours that he is going to step down in the new year. His potential US grift plan has literally just crumbled to dust and he was already complaining he doesn’t have enough money to support however many kids he actually has left alone himself on the Prime Minister’s salary. And COVID nearly killed him.

Good luck to him

(That’s just a figure of speech, I do not wish him any luck whatsoever)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zotix posted:

My social media is filled with people celebrating Harris right now. A lot of the pictures I'm seeing have Harris at the forefront and Biden behind her. I voted against Trump, I didn't vote for Biden/ Harris. So many people seem to be leaning into the first VP woman of color thing. Hope and change is a dangerous thing if we don't hold people accountable. Today is a time to celebrate, absolutely. But we as the electorate need to pay attention to how Biden and Harris conduct themselves, who they pick for the cabinet, etc. Like Cornell West said, BLM started when we had a black President, a black Attorney General, and a black Secretary of Homeland Security.

Yeah, for sure. Today is a good day, but there's still a lot of work to do tomorrow.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I fear for those poor bastards down in south america, I tell you what.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, for sure. Today is a good day, but there's still a lot of work to do tomorrow.

Does this thread have any recommendations for donating to Georgia's runoff? Is Fair Fight still the go-to organization?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
News spending all day bashing Progressives and the Left and blaming them for losses, not surprised.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The gently caress was that press conference about anyway?

cope

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

happyhippy posted:

Brexit is about leaving the trade agreements with the EU with the rest of the world.
Boris (and the Brexiteers) said 'we'll have better trade agreements day 1' back in 2016.
Four years later, have virtually gently caress all. The few trade deals they have managed are slightly worse and ineffectual.
With Trump, Boris could get a US trade deal where the US just ships whatever low grade food/goods they have left over to the UK, as well as open the UK up more to US businesses to take over.
Then Boris will claim 'hurrah we got a better deal' and drat the consequences of the businesses, health regulations, etc that would fall or get wiped out within the UK.
But Biden said he wouldn't deal if the Ireland/Northern Ireland problem isn't sorted, a situation Boris can't do as it's a catch 22 situation.
He will piss off one group or another, which will gently caress up himself and his party.
Now that Biden is more on EU's side and not his, Boris has nothing left, and they haven't set up anything to counter the No Deal that is looming on Jan 1st.
So squeaky bum time.
Thanks! That makes sense.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
https://twitter.com/jensstoltenberg/status/1325140665940860936

At the international stage everyone is just ignoring Trump's whining.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Raenir Salazar posted:

Has anyone edited any Yugioh clips to meme the election yet? I feel like there's about a half dozen or so scenes that work pretty well.
Trump on Kaiba's head going "Mail in voting so corrupt, vote in person", lifepoints as EVs, game flow as the election map, Yami-Biden goes "You've ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD, BLUE WAVE" and the EVs jump to 290.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

booseek posted:

Hawley is the fascist to watch in 2024. Anti-democratic and wants Republicans to be a "workers party." Pushed for $2000/month in stimulus. The fascism coupled with actually taking care of (some) people.

I do love this tweet about him dripping with sarcasm.

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1325146251478757377?s=20

Hawley's lying about all that. He was against the right to work repeal that passed in Missouri when he was elected. He voted for the tax cuts.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1325142654473138176
already doing good things

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/aelaineo/status/1325126620592529410?s=20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Will he have a chance to revoke withdrawal from the Paris accords, or is it too late for that?

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

haveblue posted:

Will he have a chance to revoke withdrawal from the Paris accords, or is it too late for that?

Too late for that, the US officially left on November 4th of 2019

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

haveblue posted:

Sadly I believe that has to be approved by the House and Senate again which unless the Democrats take the 2 GA Senate seats isn't going to happen.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

People who insist to “Um actually” regarding Biden’s value as president will do well to remember that these absolute monsters in Trump’s administration won’t tear down any fiber of food they can get their hands on come January.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Djarum posted:

Sadly I believe that has to be approved by the House and Senate again which unless the Democrats take the 2 GA Senate seats isn't going to happen.

I think it is just a foregone conclusion to dump all in to the GA and NC run offs. Don’t have a choice and go for it hard.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Djarum posted:

Treaties need Senate confirmation. Resolution's don't.

Gatts posted:

I think it is just a foregone conclusion to dump all in to the GA and NC run offs. Don’t have a choice and go for it hard.

NC isn't a runoff election, it's pending the count of the remaining mailin/late arriving mail and will be done Nov 12th ish, it's a long shot but possible.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Djarum posted:

They MIGHT be able to peel off one of the GOP Senators for this, but yeah, they'd lose one of the Blue Dogs, so. Hell, even if they get to 50/50, it's not a guarantee. Everything is going to be a fight until at least 2023, and we have no reason to believe it will look better then.

e: I guess I've already written off NC, it just feels like Tillis has it locked up, but I'd be very happy to be wrong

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Deltasquid posted:

For a lot of people, it's an outlet. They're tired of being told they're the "bad guys", they're tired of being looked down upon by "coastal elites" and they're just looking for a bully to put the elites in their place.

I genuinely think a lot of republican voters know and think Trump is an rear end in a top hat and a clown, but they vote for him because liberals expressly tell them not to, and they consider it to be some sort of act of defiance in a culture war they feel they're losing. The demographic of rust belt, poor white males is stuck between democrats who tell them the economic status quo is fine and appear to focus solely on LGBTQ or racial justice issues, and republicans who evidently don't care about them either way. Nominating Trump in 2016 was a way to tell the republicans to gently caress off, electing him was a way to punish the democrats for their transgressions. And a lot of people jumped ship between 2016 and 2020 because for whatever goddamn reason they see the democrats as being bad guys because Whoopi Goldberg says mean things about Trump on The View.

Democrats have definitively lost the lower class white vote to fascism and I don't think there's any way to recover from that now that unions are dead and the traditional pro-democratic forces in those areas are gone. It's going to take a lot more than a friendly grandpa neoliberal to bring those people out of the cycle of disappointment and anger they're in, and until then, they'll gleefully vote for whatever populist comes along to tell the establishment to gently caress off.

liberal karens and lgbtq drive the DNC platform. good luck shaking their influence to focus on the needs of racists so theyll vote democrat

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

People who insist to “Um actually” regarding Biden’s value as president will do well to remember that these absolute monsters in Trump’s administration won’t tear down any fiber of food they can get their hands on come January.

It might not be the worst idea to wait and see who Biden appoints to his cabinet, because...

https://twitter.com/HCTrudo/status/1325132211717369858

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

haveblue posted:

He'll probably have to spend the first week/month/term just revoking all the dumb poo poo Trump did and will do in his lame duck period.

CAN WE END SLOW MODE NOW FFS???

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
anyway lol bye bitch

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1325135133452738565?s=20

https://twitter.com/IanFortey/status/1325142706734174208?s=20

EDIT:

:barf:

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1325135387707269121?s=20

From 2017:

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/826166693764423680?s=20

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 7, 2020

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/moonbreeze2/status/1325101102455529476?s=20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like The Independent needs to be reminded, several times a day for four years, that a president cannot pardon state charges

Someone buy them an account

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Pardon him for what? I thought Trump didn't commit any crimes?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Majorian posted:

It might not be the worst idea to wait and see who Biden appoints to his cabinet, because...

https://twitter.com/HCTrudo/status/1325132211717369858

Yeah I have seen a bunch of such-Libs on TV trying to push that narrative, which it will be real interesting how well it holds up once you have facts start pouring in. The centralists realize they have a big problem and they are trying to get their messaging in line to save their necks. I don't think it will be that effective.

Yeah good luck with that one Independent.