Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

cubicle gangster posted:

isn't the blu ray transfer speed slow as poo poo? I can download games faster than I can install them from a disk on my ps4, and thats currently also limited by the hard drive write speed.

unless they've massively upgraded the blu ray drive in the ps5, anyone with decent internet is going to be able to download games to the SSD a lot faster than they can install them off a disk. Anyone with fiber will be installing at 100mb/s

You must have a magical PS4 because I have fiber to my house with just total ripping download speeds on my PC, laptop, tablet, whatever, but my PS4 takes eons to download even the smallest update files. One of the only digital games I've bought was GoT and that took several hours to install. I also have to stop and restart downloads constantly since it chokes out for some unknown reason every so often. The internet tells me this is a common problem when I google it. By contrast, my disc games take tens of minutes to install. Still not great but at least I can play them before the arthritis sets in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

800peepee51doodoo posted:

You must have a magical PS4 because I have fiber to my house with just total ripping download speeds on my PC, laptop, tablet, whatever, but my PS4 takes eons to download even the smallest update files. One of the only digital games I've bought was GoT and that took several hours to install. I also have to stop and restart downloads constantly since it chokes out for some unknown reason every so often. The internet tells me this is a common problem when I google it. By contrast, my disc games take tens of minutes to install. Still not great but at least I can play them before the arthritis sets in.

Its a total crapshoot as to which PSN download server you connect to. Sometimes the downloads rip, others are pathetically slow. Apparently you can kind of game it by stopping and restarting downloads and seeing if your speed changes (which means when you restarted it connected to a different server).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is Baldurs Gate 4 getting console ports?

IIRC Larian has said that PC is the focus and console versions may come later on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oxxidation posted:

have there been any previews of how the last guardian might benefit

it's one of the most beautiful games ever and apparently free, so that's something

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

Seems to be a solid 30fps.

https://youtu.be/zeez5sA7enQ?t=346

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Best Buy site has added a large addendum to their PS5 page, one thing that stood out to me was this

https://corporate.bestbuy.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-getting-this-years-new-gaming-consoles/

quote:

Haven’t pre-ordered yet? Don’t worry

If you haven’t pre-ordered a new console yet, you still might be able to get your hands on one — but only on BestBuy.com. While our stores won’t have devices for purchase on launch day or throughout the holiday season, keep an eye on BestBuy.com, where they’ll be available for purchase as soon as we have them available. (This means there’s no need to camp out at your local store, just check back on BestBuy.com without leaving home!)

So I think the options are narrowing to Walmart and Target

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

new bloomberg article corroborates that microsoft is shopping for japanese devs say goodbye to bloodborne 2

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lol this poor fella trying to dump an entire sugar bowl on how it ran originally

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

I get a pretty consistent 15mb/s wired, takes about an hour to do 50gb.
The last disk games I bought took almost 2 hours to install yakuza 6 and rdr2 took 3 and a half loving hours. In comparison I could download all of rdr2 to my PC's ssd in under 20 minutes.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 8, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

new bloomberg article corroborates that microsoft is shopping for japanese devs say goodbye to bloodborne 2

Microsoft buys Sony

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm going all digital for PS5 games (just grabbed the Costco PSN gift card of $100 for $90) but I'm still buying disks for PS4 games. are all the black Friday deals known yet? i'm trying to figure out if i wait for black friday for stuff I don't own like GOS and Star Wars and maybe COD, or buy them this week with the target buy 2 get one free deal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

Not saying this to attack you just setting record straight, any bloomberg article not by jason is fake clickbait.
Ms is certainly trying to buy whoever they can but bloomberg has no proof of it and never will until a real journalist posts about it.
Look at their hilariously bad articles all summer that proved untrue like that ps5 manufacturing had a 50% fail rate. There are more funny ones i cant remember.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Captain Beans posted:

Its a total crapshoot as to which PSN download server you connect to. Sometimes the downloads rip, others are pathetically slow. Apparently you can kind of game it by stopping and restarting downloads and seeing if your speed changes (which means when you restarted it connected to a different server).

I don't know if this will be relevant for the PS5, but setting my PC as a proxy for my PS4 speeds up download speeds by like 3x.

Here is an article explaining how to set it up https://www.forbes.com/sites/jplafke/2017/03/31/how-to-finally-fix-slow-ps4-and-psn-download-speeds-for-real/?sh=2f743742d4eb

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Oxxidation posted:

i will never stop grumbling about the tooltips but a frame rate that isn't constantly batting its eyelashes at single digits would be helpful, yeah

It runs at a stable 30fps if you force your output to 1080p on a PS4 pro. It should run at a stable 30 regardless on the ps5 in boost mode.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The real question is if EDF 4.1 can run at a stable framerate in BC

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

5 basically does (except when it really doesnt and the screen is 1 million compound eyes clipping into each other)

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

cubicle gangster posted:

I get a pretty consistent 15mb/s wired, takes about an hour to do 50gb.
The last disk games I bought took almost 2 hours to install yakuza 6 and rdr2 took 3 and a half loving hours. In comparison I could download all of rdr2 to my PC's ssd in under 20 minutes.

Yeah RDR2 was probably the longest disc install of any of my games but it was an hour at most for me. Still sucked for sure. Downloading games to my PC from Steam is significantly faster than disc loading but the PS4 connection is loving glacial even over fiber for whatever reason. If its a problem with Sony's servers then the PS5 won't fix that, obviously, and discs will still be faster for a lot of people I think. And of course fast connections aren't available everywhere, so there's that too.

Pockyless posted:

I don't know if this will be relevant for the PS5, but setting my PC as a proxy for my PS4 speeds up download speeds by like 3x.

Here is an article explaining how to set it up https://www.forbes.com/sites/jplafke/2017/03/31/how-to-finally-fix-slow-ps4-and-psn-download-speeds-for-real/?sh=2f743742d4eb

Interesting, I haven't seen this before. I might have to try that if I end up getting any other digital games.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Oxxidation posted:

I think it was digital foundry that says it’s locked 30 without issue.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

If its a problem with Sony's servers then the PS5 won't fix that, obviously, and discs will still be faster for a lot of people I think. And of course fast connections aren't available everywhere, so there's that too..

Yeah, I guess my situation is more unique than I thought - readily available fiber, nearby sony server, and apparently a hosed up blu ray drive that's slower than it should be.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Best Buy site has added a large addendum to their PS5 page, one thing that stood out to me was this

https://corporate.bestbuy.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-getting-this-years-new-gaming-consoles/

So I think the options are narrowing to Walmart and Target

Sony announced that all retailers will be online only for launch https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/05/playstation-5-launch-day-ordering-update/

I would have to imagine if Best Buy is extending that to the holidays all the other retailers will follow suit.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I pre-ordered the PS5 bundle from Gamestop and they just charged $598 on my card so SOMETHING'S happening.

Edit: My order status on the site has now changed to Preparing for Shipment.

qbert fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 8, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rubby posted:

Sony announced that all retailers will be online only for launch https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/05/playstation-5-launch-day-ordering-update/

I would have to imagine if Best Buy is extending that to the holidays all the other retailers will follow suit.

I guess my point was that Walmart said they'd have day-of consoles available for online ordering, and it was assumed that other big box retailers would as well, like Target and Best Buy...but the language here is ambiguous enough that the options may be narrowing for day-of online.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ESRB rating says Watch Dogs 1 coming to PS5 I guess???

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rubby posted:

Target is offering consoles online with instore pickup is what they meant

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Isn't it the ultimate edition bonus of 3?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A while back, a long time before we really knew in any detail anything about the PS5 other than the Cernycast, I was poo poo-shooting this broad concept for how a new console could bring together custom poo poo-hot SSD storage and cheap, plentiful spinnyboi drives into something resembling a unified solution. It wasn't even that complicated. Hell besides a slight hardware difference it's the same PS5 we got but without a human doing the admin.

Essentially: it was the PS5 as we know it now, except it also has a 3.5" SATA drive bay.

You have your SSD as your primary drive. You have the same restriction that you can only run games off the primary drive. If you decide to put a drive in that bay, it becomes your archive, you are prompted to mirror all your installed games to it, and any game you install is mirrored to it automatically. Any context menu that previously offers "delete" as an option instead offers "archive", which removes a game from your SSD but not the archive (and a true "delete" option further down that deletes from both). Games in it still show up in your library, can still be updated, and when you hit Play, the system just copies it back to the SSD, prompting to clear space by archiving other games if needed. Let's say you can also back up videos there and playback from it. External drives work identically to how they do now and are still maintained manually (except let's say in this hypothetical that we also correct the baffling decision not to be able to back up PS5 games or saves to external drives).

There is a little OS legwork needed to make this work elegantly, mostly involving maintaining a directory file on the SSD so you can browse your library without having to spin up the disk unless you need it, or particular partial failure scenarios like, say, the archive drive is removed and then put back, we should then verify or reconstruct that directory (hell I think this is basically what that PS4 "rebuilding database" recovery screen is for).

This has kind of been done before. I want to say there's a windows version of this but the one I remember is Apple's attempt at creating what they called the "fusion drive", essentially just a small SSD and a big HDD with some middleware that attempts to optimise certain files (or parts of files) onto the SSD according to how frequently they're accessed, presenting the whole deal as one volume to your OS. It was nifty, but ultimately a failure because it was just too slow in everything other than system boot. My silly hypothetical console system isn't really that, because it still runs entirely off one big primary drive, but the way it uses a bigger, slower HDD for cold storage is reminiscent.

I still contend that maybe this should have been how the actual PS5 worked. I mean, what's an extra bay of volume on top of what we already have, really, even a 3.5" one? Oh well. What we actually did get in the end is still pretty good overall, but for the baffling particular restrictions, and I like that we'll (eventually) be able to user-service the extra storage with commercially available modules which will (eventually) have some semblance of competitive pricing. I do wonder, though, what's the service scenario if the on-board SSD fails. I fear it's "buy a new PS5, and grab your saves off PS+, which you do have, right?".

Sometimes, I really see the wisdom in Nintendo Switch using a microSD card for everything.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fedule, why'd you have to go and invent the ps5?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There were several fusion drives, WD had some, they were a bad value and were quickly surpassed by SSD prices cratering. Same thing will happen with super fast SSDs in the next year, so no reason to invest in old tech like that. Their margins on sales are already terrible on the hardware, imagine an expensive custom platter drive solution on top of it.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Label created for my pre-order shipping from Walmart. :getin:

If you have a Walmart pre-order, you can see labels created to ship to you by creating a Fedex Delivery Manager account. Walmart's uses Solutions2Go to ship it's stuff.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Super No Vacancy posted:

ill just play it on PC :)

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I preordered my PS5 through Amazon, along with DeS and Spider-Man. For some reason they console and DeS are coming on Thursday, but Spider-Man isn’t gonna make it until the 16th.

I’d have thought you could pick up the games anywhere at launch, even without a preorder. Maybe not though?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Real hurthling! posted:

It does and its much better but still not gloriously fast cause its seeming like the ps4 has some very dumbass file structure or something that makes the ssd not able to barf it full speed into ram for a lot of back compat games the way it can for a native ps5 game

Yeah I’m surprised there hasn’t been more coverage about improved load times on PS4 games (guess you got to keep readers coming back every day). What little there is stuff like “I fired up Bloodborne and it’s still a locked 30 fps bing bong moving on.” I want to know about frame pacing and improved load times!!!

I can definitely see there being some kind of CPU limited/poorly implemented loading still preventing instant loads on PS4 games. I can’t imagine that they can take advantage of the hardware asset decompression and as you say, bad file structure (I imagine something like this is why Control has 2 minute long loads when you die. It’s probably needing to do more than just stream assets from the drive).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Pulcinella posted:

Yeah I’m surprised there hasn’t been more coverage about improved load times on PS4 games (guess you got to keep readers coming back every day). What little there is stuff like “I fired up Bloodborne and it’s still a locked 30 fps bing bong moving on.” I want to know about frame pacing and improved load times!!!

I can definitely see there being some kind of CPU limited/poorly implemented loading still preventing instant loads on PS4 games. I can’t imagine that they can take advantage of the hardware asset decompression and as you say, bad file structure (I imagine something like this is why Control has 2 minute long loads when you die. It’s probably needing to do more than just stream assets from the drive).

Frame pacing’s still busted, no report on load times in this video tho:

https://youtu.be/zeez5sA7enQ

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wow this thing really isn't in stock anywhere huh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

wow this thing really isn't in stock anywhere huh

Well not yet that’s for drat sure.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So the store I work at got a PS5 demo unit set up, and it’s stored in the stupidest way you can imagine. It’s in a box that’s a little bit bigger than the PS5 itself, with some vents in the bottom and one side of the box, and 2 fans on the other sides for airflow. This obviously does not work and the PS5 overheats and crashes constantly. Apparently gets so hot that it hurt the guy who was trying to reboot it. So of course the story at my work now is “The PS5 is prone to overheating”

Like, yeah. Please don’t store your PS5 in a super enclosed box I guess. Zero online reviewers have mentioned this so it’s gonna be a non-issue; but if you have retail people warning you when you buy one chances are they might have the same setup and you know exactly why they’re claiming that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Black Stones posted:

So the store I work at got a PS5 demo unit set up, and it’s stored in the stupidest way you can imagine. It’s in a box that’s a little bit bigger than the PS5 itself, with some vents in the bottom and one side of the box, and 2 fans on the other sides for airflow. This obviously does not work and the PS5 overheats and crashes constantly. Apparently gets so hot that it hurt the guy who was trying to reboot it. So of course the story at my work now is “The PS5 is prone to overheating”

Like, yeah. Please don’t store your PS5 in a super enclosed box I guess. Zero online reviewers have mentioned this so it’s gonna be a non-issue; but if you have retail people warning you when you buy one chances are they might have the same setup and you know exactly why they’re claiming that.

Liberate it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

post pics

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Man, the new PS5 headphones are so good! The noise cancellation works fairly well, even on a PS4 pro they’re doing some quasi-3D audio effects. Like TLOU2 is just so full and rich with sounds everywhere and behind you. They fit really well too. The only gripe is the controls are a bit hard to find by feel alone. I actually prefer dials for sound instead of buttons, because they’re easier to find and use with a left finger when you’re busy. But otherwise, can’t wait to try them with the PS5 and hear this dedicated 3D sound hardware stuff. Do games have to be programmed to take advantage of all that? Or is it something the PS5 can generate for PS4 pro games, too?

Also re: headphones - those are standard two speaker Bluetooth headphones, right?
I’m not missing anything by supplying my own Sennheisers?

Edit: they’re wired

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

Also re: headphones - those are standard two speaker Bluetooth headphones, right?
I’m not missing anything by supplying my own Sennheisers?

The system doesn’t work with just any Bluetooth audio stuff, you’d have to check/hope they were compatible.