Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'll just wait until Februari-March before starting to look at buying a new console. I think by then we will know for sure if they tend to explode or not. Don't want to buy a console that will explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

il serpente cosmico posted:

It's not worth worrying about, honestly. I have the same TV as you - at worst, VRR may look a little washed out compared to using your TV without it enabled. But VRR use cases on consoles are very limited, and are unlikely to be a heavily used feature. As I said, PS5 doesn't even have it enabled yet. The PS4 library that gives you the option to run at unlocked framerates runs at 60fps across the board on PS5, so you won't find a use-case there even when PS5 does receive a VRR update.

Are we sure? I literally just ordered the OLED a day ago. I still have the ability to cancel the order.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The optimal way of doing a performance profile selection in a 3D game these days is, you choose either resolution or framerate to lock, and a value to lock it at, have toggles for whatever else is applicable (eg: RT, and maybe some other grouped variable presets (honestly, it would be neat if console games finally made a couple of these things configurable like they are on PC, having options isn't anathema to people)) and then whichever of resolution or framerate you didn't lock shakes out however it shakes out.

It's a little baffling that Spider-Man insists on running its performance mode at a high resolution (admittedly dynamic, but it hovers between 1440p and 4K by accounts) and saves by disabling RT. I don't know about anyone else (though I suspect I'm not alone in this) but I'd much prefer a mode that runs at 1080p60 and keeps the RT. The more cynical part of me suspects that Sony would like to prime people to expect RT and 60fps to be mutually exclusive options in their games.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Haptic profile design seems so similar to sound design I wouldn't be surprised if there's some very good tools that take character sounds and convert them to haptics

I've heard it alleged (in this very thread) that exactly such an API exists; sound in, vibration out. The voice coil actuators in the DS5 are all but literally speakers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/ign/status/1325785475701989378?s=21

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
It'll never play them off external but lack of archiving is dumb

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Yeah it's a bit baffling that it's not there at launch but it has to be coming later because they talked about it being a thing.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Is it possible at launch to entirely fill a terabyte with PS5 games?

I mean if you're running ps4 games off a USB 3 external it's possible that the decision to postpone archiving ps5 games may have been reasonable given that it's unlikely you'd fill the ssd. Development man-hours are more limited than ever, and functionality like that wouldn't have been a high priority early in OS building.

I'm just saying I can see the reasoning. The Ps3 and 4 OS and front-ends went through a lot of revisions over their lifetime.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Casnorf posted:

I mean if you're running ps4 games off a USB 3 external it's possible that the decision to postpone archiving ps5 games may have been reasonable given that it's unlikely you'd fill the ssd. Development man-hours are more limited than ever, and functionality like that wouldn't have been a high priority early in OS building.

I'm just saying I can see the reasoning. The Ps3 and 4 OS and front-ends went through a lot of revisions over their lifetime.

Is the new Call of Duty game coming out at launch? I know that those games come in at over 200 gigs these days, so that'll take you a long way there on its own.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Casnorf posted:

I don't know, but the PS5 only has about 660GB of game storage.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yep. The harddrive is only 825GB with 667.2GB of user accessable storage.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have gone with an 823.8GB SSD really

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Casnorf posted:

Yes. Here's just a partial list of launch games (many of which will get free upgrades from last gen) and install size estimates. Not included are early December games like FIFA, Madden and Destiny 2.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (45 gigs)
Borderlands 3 (56 gigs on PS4)
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (133 gigs)
Demon's Souls (66 gigs)
Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (42 gigs on PS4)
DIRT 5 (60-80 gigs)
Fortnite (10-30 gigs)
Godfall (50 gigs)
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (50 gigs)
Marvel's Spider-Man: Remastered (55 gigs)
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (66 gigs on PS4)
NBA 2K21 (87-110 gigs)
No Man's Sky: The Next Generation (13 gigs on PS4)
Observer: System Redux (16 gigs)
Sackboy: A Big Adventure (31 gigs)
Watch Dogs Legion (34-54 gigs)
WRC 9 (30 gigs)

This steamrolls past the 664 gigs of usable space you have on the PS5.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 9, 2020

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
There was some talk about games getting smaller on install because the SSD meant they didn’t have to duplicate assets or something. Was there anything to that or just theory crafting?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lumpy posted:

There was some talk about games getting smaller on install because the SSD meant they didn’t have to duplicate assets or something. Was there anything to that or just theory crafting?

It's a real thing (at least one goon has done it themselves on PC titles as a proof-of-concept) but it's not looking like the launch window games are leveraging this as well as they should. Either that or they're using absolute unit textures.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lumpy posted:

This wouldn't affect any game already out and probably not any cross-generation game, in the coming years games that were never targeting anything other than next-gen consoles and PCs with SSDs could start doing this.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Oxxidation posted:

between this and the X900H's issues with 4k 120hz it doesn't seem like it's been a good time for people on the bleeding edge of tv's

you sit on the bleeding edge and your butt gets cut

I think I might just go for the Samsung QLED QE65Q95T around Black Friday.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1325800717714665474?s=21

Bugsnax sounds fun but is short and a little under-cooked. This really drives home and that making this game a PS+ title was probably for the best.

Game seems 100% kid friendly tho, for all the dad and mum goons ITT

Belan
May 7, 2007

I mean, how could they be? USB isn't fast enough. Unless they are talking about the internal bay.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had no idea it was from the Octodad creator

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
For the people who have played demon souls original, do you think it will hold up for those of us who have mostly played the later from software games? Will gameplay level/encounter design still be good, or will it be slightly outdated by bloodborne et al.?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Lumpy posted:

They'd need to be designed from the ground up to use it, bit risky to switch over for any titles targeting launch window.

It's likley that ue5 will eventually release some tools to automate what needs to be done. Barring a really strict working process, it needs a tool that can scan through the final build and detect that meshes or textures are duplicated but identical and should be linked to the same file. That also doesn't exist yet, but is possible. Probably many devs would rather wait for that than do it manually.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Casnorf posted:

I’ll definitely be running at least my most-played PS4 games off the internal drive to get the boost to load times

anglachel
May 28, 2012

kanonvandekempen posted:

For the people who have played demon souls original, do you think it will hold up for those of us who have mostly played the later from software games? Will gameplay level/encounter design still be good, or will it be slightly outdated by bloodborne et al.?

It was easier to cheese encounters in Demon Souls unless they changed some things. Scraping Spear was kind of bullshit. Item weight made exploration less fun. The fact that you could permanently kill or have killed by an NPC the guy who holds all your inventory also sucked. Demon Souls Magic was Souls Magic system in it's most OP form, sense you could regen mana so you could have spells up for every enemy if you were patient enough. Like you could slowly chip away certain enemies over the course of an hour with the starting spell.

Poise didnt exist, so I remember armor not being that good either.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 9, 2020

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

kanonvandekempen posted:

The level design is very good, but it's not an open-world game. It's semi-broken up into worlds and stages like a Mario game with a single checkpoint at the beginning of each one, though level progress like non-respawning enemies, switches, doors, etc. are persistent across leaving and coming back. There's plenty of exploration and shortcut-unlocking to do within each level in the familiar Souls way, you just don't get the world-interconnectedness which frankly fell by the wayside in Dark Souls 3 anyway.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

kanonvandekempen posted:

it's proto-Dark Souls. if you like Dark Souls and want more, you're in good shape

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

kanonvandekempen posted:

it’s probably going to feel a bit dated and slow compared to the other games, but not so much that you won’t enjoy it if youve enjoyed any of the newer souls games.

bluepoint have taken steps to modernize some of the more glaring old design choices, namely adding omnidirectional rolling and a slight revamp of the healing system. i think these fixes will go a long way in making it feel better.

i obviously haven’t played it yet, but i’ve got high hopes and i think you’d be cheating yourself out of a great souls game if you skipped this for fear of it feeling old!!

anglachel
May 28, 2012

punished milkman posted:

it’s probably going to feel a bit dated and slow compared to the other games, but not so much that you won’t enjoy it if youve enjoyed any of the newer souls games.

bluepoint have taken steps to modernize some of the more glaring old design choices, namely adding omnidirectional rolling and a slight revamp of the healing system. i think these fixes will go a long way in making it feel better.

i obviously haven’t played it yet, but i’ve got high hopes and i think you’d be cheating yourself out of a great souls game if you skipped this for fear of it feeling old!!

I disagree that limiting healing grass will make it "feel better". It will make it HARDER though. Demon Souls has a kind of charm to me that you could stubbornly beat your head through encounters with grass farm and magic spam. (Bosses would still mess you up if you tried to get through this way)

Item Burden was not very fun, and Dark Souls getting rid of it was a good idea.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm honestly glad the disc PS5 seems to be the one Sony is prioritizing making because a digital-only console being viable for me right now is increasingly laughable (probably even more so for people in other parts of the world).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CottonWolf posted:

Yep. The harddrive is only 825GB with 667.2GB of user accessable storage.

haveblue posted:

Should have gone with an 823.8GB SSD really

Personally I would have gone with an 854.7GB SSD.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
oh gently caress oh gently caress my uk shopto pre-order is processing!!11!! were the rumours true... uk early dispatch!? they only process 1-2 day before shipping.

if i get it this week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL7P247rfrw

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Haptic profile design seems so similar to sound design I wouldn't be surprised if there's some very good tools that take character sounds and convert them to haptics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tc-FnGVdps&t=50s

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

univbee posted:

Yes. Here's just a partial list of launch games (many of which will get free upgrades from last gen) and install size estimates. Not included are early December games like FIFA, Madden and Destiny 2.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (45 gigs)
Borderlands 3 (56 gigs on PS4)
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (133 gigs)
Demon's Souls (66 gigs)
Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (42 gigs on PS4)
DIRT 5 (60-80 gigs)
Fortnite (10-30 gigs)
Godfall (50 gigs)
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (50 gigs)
Marvel's Spider-Man: Remastered (55 gigs)
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (66 gigs on PS4)
NBA 2K21 (87-110 gigs)
No Man's Sky: The Next Generation (13 gigs on PS4)
Observer: System Redux (16 gigs)
Sackboy: A Big Adventure (31 gigs)
Watch Dogs Legion (34-54 gigs)
WRC 9 (30 gigs)

This steamrolls past the 664 gigs of usable space you have on the PS5.

I'm curious to see how many of them just count as PS4 games with enhancement patches that can be offloaded to external storage vs like Demon Souls which is an explicit PS5 game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

anglachel posted:

Item Burden was not very fun, and Dark Souls getting rid of it was a good idea.
Dark Souls getting rid of it was a good idea, but it makes perfect sense in Demon's Souls where you visit the Nexus and Stockpile Thomas after every stage. Having to decide what you want to take, how much room you want to leave for loot, and ration your supplies is a core part of the gameplay.

As far as limiting grass goes, I think it's fine. It should be more permissive than Bloodborne's Blood Vial limitation, since at least you will still be able to carry multiple types of grass.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

should have put item burden in bloodborne to make it perfect.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Harlock posted:

I'm curious to see how many of them just count as PS4 games with enhancement patches that can be offloaded to external storage vs like Demon Souls which is an explicit PS5 game.

Every game I listed is going to have a true native PS5 version that won't currently be installable to anything but the SSD (although I believe you can opt to just install the lesser PS4 version and run it off the external, or even install both if you want to get really weird).

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Vikar Jerome posted:

oh gently caress oh gently caress my uk shopto pre-order is processing!!11!! were the rumours true... uk early dispatch!? they only process 1-2 day before shipping.

if i get it this week...

I've just checked my Curry's order and!

absolutely no change from oct 22nd

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Well Target just shipped my Demon's Souls and Miles Morales Ultimate Launch edition, hopefully the console is soon to follow.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I would be ecstatic if Target is actually delivering on release day. I have the week of the 16th off and was resigned to not having my PS5 until the 19th. But I will still assume the worst. :smith:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vikar Jerome posted:

if i get it this week...

I'm covetous (but happy for you!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Volte posted:

Dark Souls getting rid of it was a good idea, but it makes perfect sense in Demon's Souls where you visit the Nexus and Stockpile Thomas after every stage. Having to decide what you want to take, how much room you want to leave for loot, and ration your supplies is a core part of the gameplay.

You should have infinite room for loot, permanently losing loot because you didn't dump enough poo poo into Thomas beforehand is really bad and should not be allowed to happen

You didn't have to ration your supplies either because you could carry infinite grass with no penalty. And this being the only thing they fixed in the remaster isn't helping