Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's always worth throwing a magazine at the ammo terminal, because the type it'll give for each ammo type is random (not per use, but per terminal).

What you really want to hope for are silver-cased 9mm/45 P+ ammo, or the white-tipped ammo (incendary+Armor Piercing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Luneshot posted:

Although hopefully the planned tutorial will actually explain some of this stuff when it gets implemented, I'm going to repeat (and add to) some of the stuff already mentioned, so it's all in one post:

The Stuff That Isn't Really Explained At All About H3VR Take And Hold

Thannks for the post. Anton really needs to use focus testing with total noobs , and see how they totally fumble in his game, to really learn how it doesn't need a simple tutorial but much, much more work.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's always worth throwing a magazine at the ammo terminal, because the type it'll give for each ammo type is random (not per use, but per terminal).

What you really want to hope for are silver-cased 9mm/45 P+ ammo, or the white-tipped ammo (incendary+Armor Piercing).

Updated the post with a listing of common ammo types.

Turin Turambar posted:

Thannks for the post. Anton really needs to use focus testing with total noobs , and see how they totally fumble in his game, to really learn how it doesn't need a simple tutorial but much, much more work.

Yeah. I love Take and Hold and I do recommend it, but the absolute nicest thing I can say about it is that it's "obtuse".

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 10, 2020

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Luneshot posted:

• I recommend visiting the ammo terminals even if you have spawnlockable ammo, because each intermission between hold points has a different, randomly chosen set of ammunition variants for almost every kind of ammo in the game. For example, if you place a 9mm handgun magazine on the shelf and press the magazine icon, it will fill that magazine with whatever random 9mm variant is currently in play, random per terminal (not per use): anything from regular FMJ to hollow-points to incendiary rounds. If you get a variant you like (and you have spawnlocking turned on), then lock that magazine in your inventory and congrats, now you have infinite incendiary ammo (or whatever). This is especially useful for weapons like shotguns if you start with an ammo type you don't like.
    Pointy solid copper tip: standard full metal jacket
    Hollow tip: hollow-point (good against unprotected hot dog, not so good against armor)
    Green or red tip: tracer round
    Black tip: armor piercing round
    Blue tip: incendiary round
    White tip: armor piercing + incendiary round
    (For handgun ammunition, any of the above but with a steel case instead of brass is a +P round; they're more powerful.)

Another point on this is if you have a magazine or speed loader in your hand and press up on the touchpad, it ejects a single round so you can pick it up and see what type of round it is on your hand menu.

e:

Luneshot posted:

Yeah. I love Take and Hold and I do recommend it, but the absolute nicest thing I can say about it is that it's "obtuse".

I remember being annoyed about having to grab bullets/shells one at a time on loose ammo weapons, then saw that you can hold multiple rounds at once while watching a T&H run, so I went looked for how to do it.

The video that told me how? The devlog that introduced the loving feature.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This poo poo is basically why I bounced off and uninstalled H3VR and why it's the only VR purchase that I actively regret. Everything is convoluted and nothing is explained.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah. I'm impressed by H3VR's detail but dude has no idea how to design things that are accessible to human beings.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Learning the trick with loose ammo ( loading multiple into your hand ) will *save your rear end*. I love H3Vr but its an arcane game for shooter idiots like me.

I am sorely disappointed right now to learn that No Man's Sky is basically half broken in vr since origin update. Amazingly bad reprojection issues, and performance issues.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Just an anecdote, but I've had 4 non-techy people in the past few days who have expressed intention to get a VR headset either for themselves or as a gift. I've convinced people to buy a headset before, but usually other enthusiasts. I think Quest 2 might be the thing that breaks VR into the mainstream, something that has been said before I'm sure, but it feels different this time (also probably something that has been said before!).

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

SCheeseman posted:

Just an anecdote, but I've had 4 non-techy people in the past few days who have expressed intention to get a VR headset either for themselves or as a gift. I've convinced people to buy a headset before, but usually other enthusiasts. I think Quest 2 might be the thing that breaks VR into the mainstream, something that has been said before I'm sure, but it feels different this time (also probably something that has been said before!).

My parents are in their 60s and they both pre-ordered the Quest 2. Then my mom bought me one, and now she's buying one for my nephew so that they can play VR games together.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be huge.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Talkc posted:

Learning the trick with loose ammo ( loading multiple into your hand ) will *save your rear end*. I love H3Vr but its an arcane game for shooter idiots like me.

Running around with a sawn-off shotgun and a stack of shells in the other hand is the best thing ever.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kikas posted:

drat, does Vertigo Remastered have some sort of dampening on your hand movements? I just got the shock stick and swinging it was like i was underwater, couldn't hit anything with any force and died 3 times to the the first enemies.

Is it because of my Link? Or is the whole game like this?

If you attack from the back, it's a one-shot whack with the baton. My recommendation would be to check a video on youtube and see if your baton movement works roughly the same and, if not, file a bug report. I never used the baton after the first boss, but I also never had any issue like this when using it throughout the first 30-45 min. It does have weight in a system with physics, but never felt sluggish to me. Guns have projectiles, too, but you can toggle a hitscan modifier if you don't wanna wait for the projectiles to travel over to enemies a bit further into the game.

The devs are active on the Steam forums, if you still have issues.

I just took a video and am trying to find a good host for you to compare. It feels like it has maybe 1-2lb of "weight" but hardly like it's underwater.

Video here. Looks a bit strange because I went from an 80 FPS source to a 60 FPS GFE recording, but it's pretty smooth in-game and there's only maybe 1/8-1/4 sec delay between swinging my hand and the baton following the movement. Is your baton movement smooth, but delayed quite a bit behind hand movement? On second thought, maybe I'm not the best person to be giving advice. I did lift the Rift S headset cable over the baton at the beginning so I didn't cut it. :downs:

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 10, 2020

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Talkc posted:

I am sorely disappointed right now to learn that No Man's Sky is basically half broken in vr since origin update. Amazingly bad reprojection issues, and performance issues.

NMS was the game i most wanted to play when i got my first VR headset. It’s also the only game i’ve bounced off of playing in VR and now just play pancake style.

The sense of scale is of course amazing but i just can’t deal with the cumbersome UI and menus in a game where you spend a significant amount of time in them. Too frustrating.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
H3VR is getting a more complete tutorial soon, but there are some good youtube videos that go through it, and generally I think a 5 minute YT is better than a 15 minute tutorial level.

But I really just want a T&H large-scale map.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is the Quest 2 to PC link (dev stuff, not game tethering) super finicky about the cables being used? I don’t have many USB3 to USB-C cables lying around so I could just have bad luck.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Warbird posted:

Is the Quest 2 to PC link (dev stuff, not game tethering) super finicky about the cables being used? I don’t have many USB3 to USB-C cables lying around so I could just have bad luck.

Not really, in my experience? It should work fine over even a USB2 cable as long as it carries data and isn't purely a charging cable. Make sure you're enabling data transfer in the headset menu every time you plug in.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Try another usb port, too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s entirely possible that I’ve only been using charging cords. Iirc they were all Index controller cables so who knows. I’ll try with a few of the other cables I have lying around and we’ll see what happens.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Thanks for the H3VR writeups, lots of good info for the next time I dive back in. Is it just me or do the revolver speed loaders love to drop one bullet when you grab them?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Warbird posted:

Yes. I had 2 different cables that said they were USB3 and turned out both were not (I went into the amazon comments on both and discovered many/most people were having the same issues on both brands). I ordered new ones that were reviewed well and they've worked great.

That said, cruddy cables should still work in USB2 mode, it's just slower. Unless they are charging only, of course.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN
Humble Bundle has a Fall VR bundle going on right now including Saints and Sinners at the top tier for $17.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fall-vr

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JumpyMonky posted:

Humble Bundle has a Fall VR bundle going on right now including Saints and Sinners at the top tier for $17.

That's an awesome deal :eyepop:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

SCheeseman posted:

Absolutely. Its such a drat shame that the headset to do it is Facebook associated.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

JumpyMonky posted:

Already own S&S, I recognize IEYTD as being a good game. Anything else from the bundle worth checking out?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JumpyMonky posted:

Woo, this rocks.

What is the difference between the Quest vs SteamVR Saints and Sinners? Beside running locally vs PCVR of course.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lockback posted:

Woo, this rocks.

What is the difference between the Quest vs SteamVR Saints and Sinners? Beside running locally vs PCVR of course.

Well, the quest version does include cross buy, so in that sense you're getting the ability to play the PCVR version or mobile version. As far as actual game changes, I think its all basically visuals only.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Got my quest 2 and have been using this link cable, but it seems like it lags like crazy once on PC. I enable the data when I plug it in, maybe the port i'm plugging it in to is not usb 3.0 for some reason?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Got my quest 2 and have been using this link cable, but it seems like it lags like crazy once on PC. I enable the data when I plug it in, maybe the port i'm plugging it in to is not usb 3.0 for some reason?

Do the USB test in the oculus app under devices --> Quest 2 (scroll down). See what the bitrate.

I have a couple Oculus PCVR games that lag crazy using the link but so far they are just stuff with cross buy.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

If you already have a game in the bundle, can you give the key to someone else?

IEYTD was super fun and has a nice charm. I really recommend it.

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants

AzureSkys posted:

If you already have a game in the bundle, can you give the key to someone else?

IEYTD was super fun and has a nice charm. I really recommend it.

I was able to give the keys for games I already owned away.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I've been playing Thrill of the Fight as a little workout, doing 2 matches a night. It really kicks my rear end, I'm exhausted and drenched in sweat at the end, but it's only 20 minutes so I was curious how much of a workout it really is.

So I did a little research about shadow boxing, which led to a bunch of stuff about how shadow boxing is great for HIIT (high intensity interval training) because it uses your whole body and really gets your heart rate up, which led me to researching more about HIIT in general.

I found this article which had some interesting bits:

quote:

The findings were telling: Less intense training programs with shorter intervals carried the least health benefits, while interval training studies reporting the greatest increases typically used longer (three- to five-minute) intervals.

For this reason, athletes have long used the interval technique to up their game, Mayo Clinic exercise researcher Michael Joyner told Vox in 2016. “There’s observational data in athletes going back almost 100 years showing the benefits of a few bouts of really high-intensity exercise in people.” He added: “If you want to get people to their biological maximum, they need to be doing four to five times of three- to five-minute intervals.”

[...]

“When we’ve measured it in a lab, we’ve shown that a 20-minute session of intervals can result in same calorie burn over 24 hours as a 50-minute bout of continuous exercise. So that means the afterburn effect is greater after the intervals — but it peters out after a while.”

Playing two matches in TotF is 6 rounds, each round is three minutes with a one minute cool down in between, which is pretty much the perfect HIIT regimen. And in 20 minutes you can match the overall calorie burn of continuously exercising for 50 minutes.

Not bad!

I also found a cool site where they do metabolic testing on VR games to compare the exertion to other activities.
https://vrhealth.institute/portfolio/thrill-of-the-fight/

Playing TotF averages out to be equivalent to rowing, jogging 6 miles per hour, competitive soccer, or bicycling 14-16 mph. At it's peak it hits the top of the chart with activities like sprinting and running up stairs.

If you weigh 100 pounds TotF burns about 400 calories per hour, if you weigh 240 it burns about 1100 calories an hour.

Another thing I learned: Muhammad Ali didn't lift weights. He stayed in shape with running, shadow boxing, sparring, punching bags, jumping rope, and bodyweight exercises.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Skyarb posted:

Does anyone know of any valve index cable extensions?

Asking again for any help

Not specifically for the index or the index cable, but I am using these 2 cables
and repeater to extend the USB and DP from my PC in my office into the open space in my basement.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16377
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V7NOV3Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D949F59/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had previously used some of those USB3 cables that are like $50 and have repeater hubs built in to them, but they couldn't do the passthrough camera on the Index. Not enough bandwidth, I think. The fiber optic USB cable I linked above works great.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
was thinking about grabbing star wars squadrons, but then remembered the weird framerate issues with VR i read about a few weeks ago. have they fixed that nonsense yet?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SCheeseman posted:

2uest is selling very very well, indeed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

punished milkman posted:

was thinking about grabbing star wars squadrons, but then remembered the weird framerate issues with VR i read about a few weeks ago. have they fixed that nonsense yet?

Yes, that was patched.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

2uest is selling very very well, indeed.

Tell zuck to go gently caress himself tia

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

punished milkman posted:

Yup, runs and looks fantastic now.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Tomathan posted:

I was able to give the keys for games I already owned away.

Thanks! Grabbed the bundle then saw a gift link for the key.

For calorie burn, are vr apps like Yur accurate at all or do you need a smart watch type device for better tracking?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quick video I took showing the robustness of S&S' body directed movement
https://i.imgur.com/DjaYoH6.mp4
You can see a bit of drift when looking left or right, but it's nowhere near as severe as it is with head directed movement. The last clip is me physically turning my whole body right and glancing left and right as I do so. All the footage was taken with me constantly holding the stick forward.
e: reuploaded with a better video (here is the old one for posterity)

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 11, 2020

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm having a blast in Outer Wilds VR. Kind of hard to believe this is a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SCheeseman posted:

Tell zuck to go gently caress himself tia

If I find myself chatting with him for some reason, I’ll try to remember to pass that along