Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The movie kinda already had an issue with Vanko being too sympathetic for what they wanted to do with him (blow him up) so I don't think they can make changes like that without radically restructuring the movie. Also Tony is supposed to ultimately relate to his dad so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fangz posted:

The movie kinda already had an issue with Vanko being too sympathetic for what they wanted to do with him (blow him up) so I don't think they can make changes like that without radically restructuring the movie. Also Tony is supposed to ultimately relate to his dad so

I watched it two nights ago and I didn't really sympathize all that much with Vanko, mainly because the movie doesn't really do much with the theft angle. It gets downplayed to hell. poo poo, Tony giving Vanko advice is the reason for his power boost in the final fight. It's not even like Ghost's dad in Ant-Man and the Wasp where it's left ambiguous how much of the issue is Hank being an rear end in a top hat versus the guy actually having stolen from Pym, because in IM2 the information regarding Vanko's father's deportation comes from a less biased source, Nick Fury.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
But he had a cool bird and the movie kinda juxtaposes his lovely Russian apartment with Tony's fancy rich one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fangz posted:

But he had a cool bird and the movie kinda juxtaposes his lovely Russian apartment with Tony's fancy rich one.

this is true

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fangz posted:

That wasn't his bird.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

:eng101: A career ending comic book movie

It also made Alan Moore blow up and basically quit writing, so it killed more than one career.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Nipponophile posted:

It also made Alan Moore blow up and basically quit writing, so it killed more than one career.

What? It didn't even get him to quit writing League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Cinema Purgatoria was ongoing as of last year, Providence wrapped up in 2017, The Tempest in 2019, Jerusalem came out in 2016... he's been steadily productive if extremely selective.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant "quit writing anything worth reading".

Sorry again for the confusion.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
He was already writing League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 2

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I guess YMMV and I definitely think some of the worst writing of his career has been in the past 15 years, I think Tom Strong and Promethea both ended on high notes.

I also like the Nemo Trilogy and The Tempest but I don't know if they're good per se. I also like 1910 because I like Brecht stuff.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Nipponophile posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant "quit writing anything worth reading".

Sorry again for the confusion.

I accept your apology as you seem to still be confused.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember liking LoXG as a child and refuse to ever revisit it and have that stolen from me. You all will not kill this for me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I just went and checked IMDB for what Connery did post LXG. (Which was called that to make people think it was related to the X-Men. )

He did the voice for James Bond in a From Russia With Love PS2 game. Whacky.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

It is the only movie based on his work that I know of where he's actually credited.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

It is the only movie based on his work that I know of where he's actually credited.

It was the first of them, and him asking for credit to be removed on future films was a direct result of it, I believe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

It was the first of them, and him asking for credit to be removed on future films was a direct result of it, I believe.

Yeah, someone sued DC for plagiarism and Alan Moore had to testify that he had come up with the story himself. Can't blame him for not wanting a credit after that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lmao Ray Fisher just confirmed that every single Cyborg scene in Josstice League was reshot, except for his 30 sec scene at the GCPD rooftop

What a hot mess

https://twitter.com/Snyderspecific/status/1323323142689988611?s=19

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, someone sued DC for plagiarism and Alan Moore had to testify that he had come up with the story himself. Can't blame him for not wanting a credit after that.

There was also the situation with V for Vendetta where Joel Silver (one of the producers) gave an interview saying that Moore had seen footage from the movie and approved when no he hadn't and no he didn't.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

From Hell was the first.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EmptyVessel posted:

From Hell was the first.

Was he credited on that one?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

Was he credited on that one?

Yes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i've been going through the marvel chronological order listing on D+ and I'm towards the end now. They have Ant-Man & The Wasp BEFORE Infinity War!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soonmot posted:

i've been going through the marvel chronological order listing on D+ and I'm towards the end now. They have Ant-Man & The Wasp BEFORE Infinity War!

I mean, most of that movie does take place before IW, so I get it.

e: that said, I cannot believe it took Disney so long to actually sort the MCU by release order (and also give a chronological order option) instead of totally randomly. It's nuts.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

e: that said, I cannot believe it took Disney so long to actually sort the MCU by release order (and also give a chronological order option) instead of totally randomly. It's nuts.

Inifinity War lasts longer than a day, doesn't it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soonmot posted:

The postcredits scene of Ant-Man and the Wasp presumably takes place a few days after the rest of the movie. Scott has like what, three days of house arrest left at the start? And he gets released at the end of the movie.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

I mean, probably not that much longer. Assuming the movie is moving linearly and the cuts between the various subplots are supposed to be happening concurrently, starting from the point that Banner gets teleported into the Sanctum Sanctorum, the following events happen either simultaneously or drat close to it:

• Stark, Strange, and Parker go to space
  • Team Cap saves Vision and Wanda from the Black Order
  • Guardians find Thor

Then after that, in sequence:
  • the Guardians split for Thor to make Stormbreaker and for everyone else to watch Gamora get kidnapped.
  • Thanos and Gamora travel to Vormir and he kills Gamora. This is depicted as happening in the time it takes for the Guardians + Stark/Strange/Spidey to get to Titan, and for the rest of the Avengers to rest for a second before deciding to go to Wakanda.
  • The Titan fight happens
  • Thanos' whole fleet descends on Wakanda, Thor finishes Stormbreaker and he/Groot/Rocket go to Wakanda
  • The Snap happens.

There are some breaks in there where maybe you can be generous and assume that there was a larger gap in time, like maybe you can assume that there's a more significant gap between the Black Order's initial invasion of Earth and the Guardians finding Thor adrift in space, or the Guardians/Team Stark spend a little more preptime than we see on Titan, or maybe that the Avengers spend a little more time in Wakanda while Shuri works on Vision, but still, everything in the movie happens fast. Maybe it doesn't happen in one day, but I'd say if that even if you're being ridiculously generous, the Infinity War takes 3 days tops from start to snap

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 10, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
drat, I guess AM&W is chronologically first then!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arist posted:

For a while searching for "Mandalorian" on D+ would not bring up the Mandalorian's making-of show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, I did it.

Due to the unspeakable popular demand that totally exists, I made a video essay about everyone's favorite movie, Man of Steel. Specifically about Pa Kent, my favorite character! I mean there's a bunch of stuff dissecting superhero mentor tropes but we all know what the people really want. Yes, it's 45 minutes. Yes, it's all downhill from there.

I would like to sincerely thank everyone here, because this is absolutely all your fault. Special shout-out to A loving Pandemic, which gave me the free time to do anything like this. <3

Hopefully there will be more, everyone said! In fact, next one will probably be about Doctor Strange.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching New Mutants, and like its not the best Fox X-men movie but its pretty good so far. It helps Anna-Taylor Joy is a pretty much perfect Illyana. Everyone else pretty much feels on point, with Maisie Williams Raine is actually better than the comic version. It probably didn't help that her comic counterpart was always crying and beating up on herself. In the film she's got a bit more self confidence.

I guess because no one saw it there hasn't been much spoiler discussion around it so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I'm not sure about Limbo just being created by Illyana rather than an actual place that she was taken to as a child as a change, and her just being a teleporter without the stepping disks is a minor nitpick. Raine and Danny being sweet on each other is adorable.

I'd not say it was a horror movie, but its certainly more horrific than any other mainstream comic movie since the Blade movies. Way Reyes a existing character? Wasn't there a super smart mutant who worked with Dr Nemesis by that name?

I really enjoy Iron Man 2, but the criticisms of it are totally accurate. loving Elon Musk, though that's before he was revealed to be a giant chud rear end in a top hat. I always like when Natasha gets introduced to Tony Pepper says "she's a very expensive lawsuit".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cecilia Reyes is an X-Men supporting character, yeah. Not a bad guy like in the movie though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Did any of the mister sinister stuff make it into the final cut of the movie?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vince MechMahon posted:

Did any of the mister sinister stuff make it into the final cut of the movie?

I was waiting for an end credits sequence where he is shown in shadows or something, but nope.

Aphrodite posted:

Cecilia Reyes is an X-Men supporting character, yeah. Not a bad guy like in the movie though.

Okay, and I don't remember her having Sue Storm powers either.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Haven't seen New Mutants but Cecilia does have force field powers. Though yes, it's usually overshadowed by her doctorness.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My vague memory is that she was a "I don't want to be a super hero just because I'm a mutant" so her powers basically sucked because she never used them unless it was an emergency.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

My vague memory is that she was a "I don't want to be a super hero just because I'm a mutant" so her powers basically sucked because she never used them unless it was an emergency.

Yeah and like a lot of mutant powers around her era, they were more complicated than just 'make a force field.'

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Well, I did it.

Due to the unspeakable popular demand that totally exists, I made a video essay about everyone's favorite movie, Man of Steel. Specifically about Pa Kent, my favorite character! I mean there's a bunch of stuff dissecting superhero mentor tropes but we all know what the people really want. Yes, it's 45 minutes. Yes, it's all downhill from there.

I would like to sincerely thank everyone here, because this is absolutely all your fault. Special shout-out to A loving Pandemic, which gave me the free time to do anything like this. <3

Hopefully there will be more, everyone said! In fact, next one will probably be about Doctor Strange.

Clicked through and liked for goon solidarity

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I recently re-watched Iron Man 2 and...what? No deleted scenes? I guess Favreau likes how the movie turned out.

But man, I just kind of feel like this is a bit of a mess. Is it studio meddling with it? Is it a bunch of script re-writes getting mashed together? Between Whiplash's story and Tony dealing with being poisoned (and also clearly dealing with it with alcohol when getting trashed at the party), they just kind of handwave the whole thing and well he gets better or whatever.

Also Ivan's final suit just seems to be an enhanced Iron Mongerer suit and just isn't as unique as his official outfit.

Also Coulson drops a Supernany reference. Never noticed that before.

Next up is Thor...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Iron Man 2 benefits/suffers from being the big "world builder" entry. Its the movie where the MCU really started to expand into what its become and back then I think its incredibly cool to see Black Widow and Fury and War Machine and everything else, but 10 years later after so many MCU films and teamups that's really not that special and its a bit of a less impressive standalone piece.

Thor I think has a bit of the same but I think its more of its own film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Clicked through and liked for goon solidarity
:patriot: