Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Oh yeah, Eric does a lot of shlock. Fun fact: he recorded all of his dialogue on the phone for that movie in fifteen minutes as a favour to the director.
I meant more in terms of him doing so much work, I'm surprised he even remembers his role on Doctor Who after all this time.
Do Big Finish tend to record with the actors in one recording studio, or does everyone record by themselves in a booth and editing puts it together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldMemes posted:

Oh yeah, Eric does a lot of shlock. Fun fact: he recorded all of his dialogue on the phone for that movie in fifteen minutes as a favour to the director.
I meant more in terms of him doing so much work, I'm surprised he even remembers his role on Doctor Who after all this time.
Do Big Finish tend to record with the actors in one recording studio, or does everyone record by themselves in a booth and editing puts it together?

Most of the time, it's everyone together (although they do record scenes with everyone in separate booths), but they've also done ones where they've recorded most of the cast at one time, then someone else later, and then edit it all together.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm sure they asked CG Snake and he just had other commitments.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Eric Roberts recorded his material separately to the other actors in his two prior appearances.

That's why he's recording with Chase Masterson this time, they're both based in Cali so they can record together.

Fun (?) fact. None of the three Masters from Day of the Master recorded with each other or the rest of the cast. Only Geoffrey Beevers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

When the recorded the Excelis Trilogy, Anthony Stewart Head recorded his parts all at once, separate from the other cast. But they had Lisa Bowerman and Mark Gatiss read opposite of him. Later, in a interview, he exclaimed how shocked he was that Big Finish could get one of The League of Gentlemen in to read lines with him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

nvm

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Latest watch on the random trip through the original run: Planet of the Spiders. Very good overall I thought, despite its mixed reputation; some elements of excess, and some things aren't well done (Tommy and his Flowers for Algenon stuff most notably) but good fun.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Latest watch on the random trip through the original run: Planet of the Spiders. Very good overall I thought, despite its mixed reputation; some elements of excess, and some things aren't well done (Tommy and his Flowers for Algenon stuff most notably) but good fun.

I like that Metebelis Three, that Three has been constantly mentioning, comes back as important, and it doesn't feel forced. That was a nice little touch that this adventure he wanted to go on was his last. I have some issues with the K'Anpo character, but it's otherwise a pretty solid serial, from my memory.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bicyclops posted:

I like that Metebelis Three, that Three has been constantly mentioning, comes back as important, and it doesn't feel forced. That was a nice little touch that this adventure he wanted to go on was his last. I have some issues with the K'Anpo character, but it's otherwise a pretty solid serial, from my memory.
Well, there is the utterly gratuitous "let's indulge Jon and his love of vehicles!" episode-long car chase that amounts to nothing...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Payndz posted:

Well, there is the utterly gratuitous "let's indulge Jon and his love of vehicles!" episode-long car chase that amounts to nothing...

How dare you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Payndz posted:

It amounts to fun, it's like the gratuitous Sea Devils sword fight.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Let Pertwee have his fun ya goobers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Planet of the Spiders is, as far as I remember, the first Pertwee story i ever saw and it still stands as my favorite.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Getting the urge to do a rewatch......

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
...of Pertwee’s entire run.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TWANG!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Planet of the Spiders rules, even (or ESPECIALLY) the episode-long chase scene which is just such an exercise in excess and indulging a departing Jon Pertwee.

Jon Pertwee was my first Doctor that I distinctly remember watching (on repeat screenings on TV, I'm not THAT old!) though I have vague memories of seeing at least one Troughton story, so seeing him regenerate into Tom Baker at the end of that story blew my tiny little mind.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Planet of the Spiders rules, even (or ESPECIALLY) the episode-long chase scene which is just such an exercise in excess and indulging a departing Jon Pertwee.

Jon Pertwee was my first Doctor that I distinctly remember watching (on repeat screenings on TV, I'm not THAT old!) though I have vague memories of seeing at least one Troughton story, so seeing him regenerate into Tom Baker at the end of that story blew my tiny little mind.

The first episode of Doctor Who I ever saw was the second half of The Mutants (aka episodes 4, 5, and 6, since it was shown in omnibus format on the Chicago PBS station), and even not knowing what the hell was going on, I still found Pertwee's Doctor to be very fascinating to watch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I watched Buckeroo Banzai yesterday and it’s odd to see how much Who is in its DNA. It definitely feels like what the Americans would have come up with if they’d invented Who themselves.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
You wanna talk Doctor Who DNA and what Americans would make of the show, I just rewatched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Robert J. Omb posted:

Of the whole dang thing!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Eric Roberts was also in the music video for Mr Brightside, which has all the "you know what, I wanna do something fun" energy of Leonard Nimoy in a Bruno Mars video or Tom Hanks in a Carly Rae Jepsen video.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FreezingInferno posted:

You wanna talk Doctor Who DNA and what Americans would make of the show, I just rewatched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
Doctor Who even stole a shot back from B&T in The Fires of Pompei.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2QchINDq5o&t=444s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Never saw this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuZMXbkp5WM

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The first episode of Doctor Who I ever saw was the second half of The Mutants (aka episodes 4, 5, and 6, since it was shown in omnibus format on the Chicago PBS station), and even not knowing what the hell was going on, I still found Pertwee's Doctor to be very fascinating to watch.

Given that Geoffrey Palmer just died, doing a rewatch of The Mutants would be topical but he gets knocked off before the point you started watching, even!

Payndz posted:

That car chase also has the stunt men appear (most notably Stuart Fell as a homeless man) with their faces and everything. It's touches like that that really rub in that it's a celebration of the whole of Pertwee's run, which makes sense as it was produced and directed and written by Barry Letts.

There's a lot of fun side stuff too - the professor at the start is a real joy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Given that Geoffrey Palmer just died

Jesus, 2020 doesn't let up, does it? :smith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Jesus, 2020 doesn't let up, does it? :smith:

He was 93, that's a good run

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Peterhouse_Cam/status/1326171393822760968?s=20

Comedian John Finnemore also appeared in Big Finish's "Doctor Who: The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield Volume 01", and wrote and co-starred in the wonderful BBC Radio comedy "Cabin Pressure", co-starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Family book club. :3:

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Robert J. Omb posted:

I'm near the end of doing just this (just finished Invasion of the Dinosaurs), as i thought Three would be a good way to get my fiance into the show.

I hadn't seen much outside of Season 7 in years, so i wasn't sure how good it would be, but we've had so much fun with the Pertwee era.

There are no serials in there that are out and out bad, and even the weaker ones usually have something wonderfully goofy in there to make up for it. I hadn't actually seen any Delgado Master stories before this and, while there was a point where he was getting close to overstaying his welcome, any scene was immediately better for him being in it.

I'll miss the Three era when we get to the end of this run- I always had a half-remembered soft spot for his run and it's been really good to see that the fond memories were justified

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Three is a consistently underrated era because I don't think he's anyone's favorite Doctor, but he has some of the best stories in the entire program

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

He's my favourite.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's like the scene in the tv movie where 8 picks up his book right where 7 left off. :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You people are going to make me watch the entire classic run again. It's like you don't respect the fact that I have kids and I have video games to play.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

You people are going to make me watch the entire classic run again.

It's okay, you don't need to thank us :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

Three is a consistently underrated era because I don't think he's anyone's favorite Doctor, but he has some of the best stories in the entire program

When I am watching a Pertwee episode he is my favorite.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Burkion posted:

He's up there for me. I'm a sucker for karate chops and sandwiches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

When I am watching a Pertwee episode he is my favorite.

Same but for all the Doctors on whatever episode I happen to be watching v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Pertwee's been overshadowed by Tom, but he's still great. Who couldn't love the Doctor as a super-confident dandy swashbuckler? And he had a really solid run of stories; when your weakest is 'The Monster of Peladon' and it also comes right at the tail end of your tenure, you've done pretty well. (No big surprise: he was my first Doctor.)