Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
EDIT: Update on the previous page, obviously.

Ah, the Yurt storyline. It's fortunate that you got the info from Patches when you did, because I suspect that's what triggered Yurt to attack you when you talked to him. If you leave him alone in the Nexus, I don't believe he stops at the NPCs who aren't vital. The only people he won't kill are Thomas and Boldwin, as well as the candle maiden. I could be wrong about that, though - I've never left him alive long enough. Usually, just until the first two bodies appear so I can get the free souls. The first cleric who disappeared when you rescued Urbain, though? He disappears whether you've freed Yurt or not. He is, indeed, the Miracle merchant in the same way that the now-deceased Mage was the Magic merchant, but he doesn't stick around when he's no longer needed. (If you'd like to know how to purchase Miracles, I'll tell you, since it looks like you don't plan to get any.) I have no idea what happens to that cleric. Maybe he feels even more ashamed than the guy who left Urbain and runs away when Urbain returns.

The Warding spell is, in my opinion, definitely worth building up the Intelligence for the extra slot, especially since that also gives you more of the MP you need to use it. Tower Knight is pretty easy to defeat early on, rescuing Freke is only moderately difficult, and you can't use the soul for anything else. There aren't many weapons that I generally bother with (especially among those that require souls that can become magic or miracles), but the Meat Cleaver is a pretty solid choice if you intend to bulk up Strength and Faith. The magic attack is always handy, and I never turn down a weapon with healing. (Yes, my mainstay in Dark Souls was a Fire Server +10, how did you guess?) I'm pretty sure you had enough Strength, but your Faith was too low, hence the ability shortage. I think it still does the full complement of physical damage, but I've never experimented with weapons above my magical class in any of the Souls games. I usually just grind my levels up as high as is practical before going anywhere.

Maneater is a tough fight, no two ways about it. Magic defense is obviously a key for most of Latria, so the Dark Heater Shield you found deep in the Mine is great, and you can't go wrong with Warding. Also, while you don't get anything for cutting tails in this game, it uses its tail both for applying that buff and for shooting most of its spells, so removing it if possible is a good idea. The center platform is the best place to stage your fight, both because you can hide behind the torch for a bit of breathing room and because gravity is the real boss most of the time. Spatial awareness is slightly less of a problem when you have room to maneuver. Slightly. The major issue with this fight is that Maneater changes up its attacks so rapidly, and it can fire a burst of magic just about anywhere. I think you need to learn its tells, react appropriately, and be as aggressive as possible early on - ranged magic is recommended just in case it decides not to land for a while. The best advice I've got for when the second one appears is to keep track of which one was first and focus on it as best you can. Playing defensively or splitting damage means taking longer, and that means more time you have to spend dealing with two Maneaters attacking at once. If you play online, it's not uncommon to find a helpful summon sign here, partly because this is a much easier boss with a partner, and partly because of...

The Old Monk is a gimmick fight that may not have been very well thought out. I think if Dark Souls had come out first, and Fromsoft had seen what invaders do in the Undead Burg, they might not have used this idea at all. The Old Monk has been dead for a long time, and that scarf seems to be animating the body. When you reach his tower, he summons a warrior to stop you. If you're online, that might be a player trying to invade anywhere in Latria - if they're at the right level to invade you, they can be summoned as your boss. It can also be a player who's dropped a summon sign anywhere in Latria. Once, I ended up fighting the same player who'd already helped me beat Maneater. The homing arrow spell is part of the boss, not part of the player's arsenal, but in every other respect, the boss you fight is identical to PVP. That includes the player's full stock of healing items and the weapons everybody hates. If your boss has a lot of grasses, it can be a very long fight. If there's no eligible player, you fight a computer-controlled character with two Claws. Not much of a threat, in my opinion. It's about on the same level as any other Black Phantom human, but with more HP. Again, magic defense is vital. Also, due to the nature of network connections and PVP, the boss is summoned while you're still at the bottom of the stairs. The player has to wait until you reach the fog door to do anything, and if you die on the way there, they just get kicked out. I think they get to keep the big scarf helmet if they kill the host player, but if you die on the stairs, they don't. Alas, due to the ephemeral nature of online-only content, the boss is all but gimmickless now. I'm pretty sure it can be poisoned, but because it has a boss health bar, you don't see the HP numbers from the damage. I believe the poison was what killed it in your winning run - note that it's just standing there, and then it collapses. It should also be vulnerable to both backstabs and parries, although if you're fighting a player, that has all the usual issues with network lag, as well as the unfortunate issue where some condition can cause all damage from an attack to be negated. I think it's if both players attack at the same time or something like that. I thought people were cheating for the longest time. Anyway, the easiest solution is to unplug the network connection or play the game in 2020, when the servers are no longer running.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Nidoking posted:

The Old Monk is a gimmick fight that may not have been very well thought out. I think if Dark Souls had come out first, and Fromsoft had seen what invaders do in the Undead Burg, they might not have used this idea at all.

Given that both Dark Souls 2 and 3 made use of the concept, I don't think you can say this with much certainty.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

2 introduced restrictions on what equipment invaders can use. I never saw a ninja-flipping Havel-wearing Lightning Greatsword invader in Majula. Never encountered an invader in 2 that I thought was unfair. Never encountered an invader in Dark Souls that I didn't utterly hate.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Thanks for the detailed writeup. Yurt sounds like a real jerk, but I'm still glad I freed him rather than leaving him to rot and missing out on the event. I wonder if he's useful for ushering along a dark tendency playthrough or if he just inconveniences you by killing other NPC's. Either way, I can see where Lautrec got his inspiration from now.

Maneater definitely seems like a gatekeeper fight for this game, where in Dark Souls it'd probably be Capra Demon, followed by a somewhat more appropriate analogue in Ornstein & Smough (even though they're closer to the Bell Gargoyles mechanically). Maybe it's just me, though. I typically have a tough time dealing with multi opponent bosses in these games. As for the Old Monk fight, I never would have guessed the nature of its gimmick now that the servers are gone. It's a pretty interesting one, but if they implement it in the remake I hope that they adjust pvp for minimal griefing a la Storm Reaver or another weapon I've heard about that destroys your gear. Speaking of gimmicks, I'm sensing a pattern for these end of archstone boss fights.

Regarding miracle casting, I was looking at my stats and I assume Urbain won't help me because I'm a godless heathen.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 7, 2020

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

rojovision posted:

Regarding miracle casting, I was looking at my stats and I assume Urbain won't help me because I'm a godless heathen.

Correct. I'm pretty sure you need 10 Faith to have a Miracle slot, just like you need 10 Intelligence for a Spell slot. In this game, they're separate slots, even though they all go into the "up" submenu. Miracle slots are considerably more expensive than Spell slots, but I don't think there are as many Miracles worth bothering with, particularly early on. I could probably get a 5-slot loadout for Spells and use them all regularly. Granted, Warding takes up two of those.

I don't believe anything Yurt does has any effect on Tendency. There may be an effect when you kill him, or he may be an exception specifically because not killing him is eventually going to ruin your game.

Also, while I'm thinking about it: My strategy for Capra Demon is one of the rare uses for Aural Decoy. I very rarely have a problem surviving the critical first few seconds.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

There's something of a common experience I want you to at least be aware of from the Old Monk fight. As Nidoking detailed, anybody summoned to be the Old Monk fight gets to just wait around while waiting for their target to make their way up to the boss room. For a certain number of players, this meant figuring out the ideal place to stand (right next to the fog door), and preparing their strongest spell. The spell that I'm thinking of comes from somewhere you haven't seen yet, so unfortunately I have to stay real vague on this one. This specific spell has a cast time that's about the same length as the animation of walking through the fog door.

So, uh, the player Old Monk takes their position, waits for the sound of their victim walking through the fog door, and presses the button. The instant their victim regains control, they're already in the middle of active hitboxes they can do absolutely nothing about, and the spell is usually powerful enough to kill unprepared players in a single cast. People were absolute dicks with this boss setup. Also there were the players who would bring 99 new moon grasses to brick wall the poor soul just trying to beat a boss.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 22 - Shortcut

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think I meant to mention earlier and forgot that the door at the top of the Nexus is the online hall of fame for the top players a.k.a. the hundred or so people who first maxed out their soul counters. It only opens if you're online. I think there are a couple of minor items in there, but nothing that would really change the game at all.

That ledge you were trying to reach in the Valley of Defilement early on is the way you crossed the wall in the first place. I don't think it's possible to reach it from the far side, except by returning via the shortcut and going the long way around.

If you haven't worked it out since the recording, the Large Sword of Moonlight scales only with Faith. The requirement is super high, but weapons that completely ignore shields always have their uses. I think 24 may actually be a breakpoint for an extra Miracle slot, so it's a good target if you're building Faith at all.

I'm certain you can climb onto that ledge you were trying to jump onto in the shantytown. I don't know whether you need to be running, or not running, or hit it from a certain angle, but I know I've done it.

I have no idea how that big guy got onto the bridge to the shortcut. I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to be there - I can't imagine I'd ever have managed to get that far if I had to deal with him along with everything else. But nice job getting past what I think is the worst part of the game. Too many fights against big guys on or near tiny islands. Most of the game is difficult in a good way; that's difficult in the worst way.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nidoking posted:

I think I meant to mention earlier and forgot that the door at the top of the Nexus is the online hall of fame for the top players a.k.a. the hundred or so people who first maxed out their soul counters. It only opens if you're online. I think there are a couple of minor items in there, but nothing that would really change the game at all.

That ledge you were trying to reach in the Valley of Defilement early on is the way you crossed the wall in the first place. I don't think it's possible to reach it from the far side, except by returning via the shortcut and going the long way around.

If you haven't worked it out since the recording, the Large Sword of Moonlight scales only with Faith. The requirement is super high, but weapons that completely ignore shields always have their uses. I think 24 may actually be a breakpoint for an extra Miracle slot, so it's a good target if you're building Faith at all.

I'm certain you can climb onto that ledge you were trying to jump onto in the shantytown. I don't know whether you need to be running, or not running, or hit it from a certain angle, but I know I've done it.

I have no idea how that big guy got onto the bridge to the shortcut. I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to be there - I can't imagine I'd ever have managed to get that far if I had to deal with him along with everything else. But nice job getting past what I think is the worst part of the game. Too many fights against big guys on or near tiny islands. Most of the game is difficult in a good way; that's difficult in the worst way.

Ah very interesting about that hall of fame room. I wonder if that'll make a return in the remake. Bit of a shame I can't get in there even though the servers aren't around anymore, especially since the Monumental's dialog about it remains in the game. And yeah, faith makes much more sense for the sword. I was making an assumption based on the later games where I believe it typically scales with your sorcery stats if I'm remembering correctly.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 23 - Had To Be Done

The original goal was to finish the game by the time the remake came out, but it looks like we aren't quite there yet. As a result, we'll have a double feature of episodes tonight, and possibly tomorrow in an effort to try and finish things up, though I don't necessarily want to rush through what remains of the game. We'll see how far we get. The second episode for tonight (11/11/2020) will go live around 7:30 PM EST, with the post following shortlyish after.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 12, 2020

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 24 - Impenetrable

Oddly enough YouTube poo poo the bed minutes ago. I guess my video was just too powerful. Whenever they fix things, you'll be able to watch tonight's second episode at the link above.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 25 - Loose Ends

Since I had to record this ahead to try and maintain the schedule I looked up two specific NPC's, though I'd have preferred to ask for hints in the thread. This is the next to last episode - the final one should be out in a couple hours.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 26 - The Broken Crown and the Trip Down

This marks the end of the playthrough. Thanks to everyone who posted tips and advice. I know for sure that we missed some stuff, and I intend to do some independent research before starting the remake that just came out. However, if anyone has some thoughts about things that I may have missed, or didn't understand (like world tendency for example), leave a post and I'll be sure to check it out.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 23, 2020

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm on vacation at the moment, so I'm behind on videos, but I can give you my thoughts on part 23 for now and watch the rest when I get home. Dirty Colossus is another one of those bosses that's probably a reasonable threat early on, but few people are likely to get that far without building up a lot, especially given the roadblocks in the swamp area leading to it. Once you've opened the shortcut, that's pretty much the end of the area. Dirty Colossus is another Really Big Guy What Swings At You, and by now, avoiding its attacks should be second nature. It shoots flies that will cling to you and drain your health, like the leeches from Leechmonger, but you can heal through it easily enough, and in the worst case, there are fires burning all around the arena, which you can use to burn them away with minimal damage to yourself. If you've got a good fire weapon, the fight is over before it begins.

Maiden Astraea is a gimmick fight and a regular fight all in one. Shooting her from the upper ledge is by far the easiest way to deal with her, and as you saw, you still get the rewards for killing Garl Vinland. I don't bother with the armor (still using a female character for the Silver Bracelets), but the Dark Silver Shield offers 100% physical and magic defense, making it my go-to shield for the rest of the game. (What little is left, anyway.) The weight and Strength requirement are both pretty high, but like I said before, I've never known that to matter for guarding with shields of its class.

Those who don't like to buy lots of arrows will have to fight Garl directly, which isn't much fun if you're not a parrying master. The stats on the armor and shield are no joke, and if you back off to heal while he's low on HP, he'll use a healing miracle and undo most of your work. Backstabs are effective, but good luck getting behind him, and God help you if he decides to attack while you're back there, because like most human enemies, he can turn on a dime. Umbasa. If you can kill him, the fight is effectively over, but I think it's worth seeing what happens next for yourself.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nidoking posted:

I'm on vacation at the moment, so I'm behind on videos, but I can give you my thoughts on part 23 for now and watch the rest when I get home. Dirty Colossus is another one of those bosses that's probably a reasonable threat early on, but few people are likely to get that far without building up a lot, especially given the roadblocks in the swamp area leading to it. Once you've opened the shortcut, that's pretty much the end of the area. Dirty Colossus is another Really Big Guy What Swings At You, and by now, avoiding its attacks should be second nature. It shoots flies that will cling to you and drain your health, like the leeches from Leechmonger, but you can heal through it easily enough, and in the worst case, there are fires burning all around the arena, which you can use to burn them away with minimal damage to yourself. If you've got a good fire weapon, the fight is over before it begins.

Maiden Astraea is a gimmick fight and a regular fight all in one. Shooting her from the upper ledge is by far the easiest way to deal with her, and as you saw, you still get the rewards for killing Garl Vinland. I don't bother with the armor (still using a female character for the Silver Bracelets), but the Dark Silver Shield offers 100% physical and magic defense, making it my go-to shield for the rest of the game. (What little is left, anyway.) The weight and Strength requirement are both pretty high, but like I said before, I've never known that to matter for guarding with shields of its class.

Those who don't like to buy lots of arrows will have to fight Garl directly, which isn't much fun if you're not a parrying master. The stats on the armor and shield are no joke, and if you back off to heal while he's low on HP, he'll use a healing miracle and undo most of your work. Backstabs are effective, but good luck getting behind him, and God help you if he decides to attack while you're back there, because like most human enemies, he can turn on a dime. Umbasa. If you can kill him, the fight is effectively over, but I think it's worth seeing what happens next for yourself.

Yeah Dirty Colossus is not only kind of a lame name, but a super easy boss at the point in your character's development where I feel like you can reasonably reach him as a new player. I agree about the Dark Silver Shield, though I do enjoy the HP regen from Adjucator's even though it's objectively worse as an actual shield. When I play through the remake, I think I'll try to kill Garl before Astraea unless I'm finding him to be a serious road block. Warding does seem to make failed parries somewhat forgiving. At any rate thanks for the additional perspective as always. Enjoy your vacation!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

A bit more on the final parts of the game:

Penetrator is pretty much the proto-Pursuer, with a big sword that he swings all sorts of ways and the really nasty stab attack you've got to watch out for. It's mainly a contest of stats, but if you go to the trouble of freeing Biorr before fighting Penetrator, he'll actually show up to help in the fight. This is one of the very few places you can make any use of Refresh in a single-player playthrough, and it's hard to hit him with it, but it does work. Also, Biorr will almost be able to finish Penetrator on his own, so it's worth the trip.

The three Black Phantoms shortly afterward are, as far as I can tell, meant to be the remnants of the people who became the three bosses from earlier in Boletarian Palace. Most of the stuff they drop can be collected elsewhere (there's a Tower Shield in the prison area where Biorr is, and there's a White Bow behind an illusory wall in the Shrine of Storms), so there's not much to them gameplay-wise. It's also a bit odd that Ostrava didn't appear in the later stretches of Boletarian Palace. He's got a bit more storyline to him. I believe you're correct in that Yurt must have gotten to him. The Rune Sword and Shield his phantom drops can also be found on a ledge in the Tower of Latria area, although I never use them because I believe they have the same effect as the Ring of Magical Dullness.

It's possible to kill both of the dragons in the last area where they appear. It just takes a TON of arrows and patience, and Biorr will probably die while you fight the Blue Dragon, unless you leave him in his cell. (I suspect that's why he wasn't in the Nexus at the end.)

False King Allant is a fight that actually requires some skill, so I have very little in the way of advice. Warding is a big deal, which is a surprise, since it looks like most of his ranged attacks are magical. When he winds up for the big area attack, I use a yellow light principle: If I'm close enough to reach him, one attack usually knocks him out of the animation. If not, then I run the other way. I never knew you could roll through the attack, but it does have a limited range. Aside from that, the Dark Silver Shield will do your work for you against everything but the grab. The grab is bad.

The Blueblood Sword is a weird one. It has high requirements across the board, but if I remember correctly, it scales only with Luck. Remember how Luck is a stat you can raise? Neither do most people. I like to toss a few points into it just to have a better chance to get stuff, especially upgrade drops, but that's what the Large Sword of Searching is for. That, and having it in your left hand and parrying with it. You correctly identified the issue with Darkmoonstone - it's one of very few upgrade materials in the game without a Pure one to be found somewhere (Bladestone is another, and this might also be true of Moonstone, but I never bothered with that), so you have to get one as a rare drop from a crystal lizard in Shrine of Storms, or as a SUPER-rare drop from a reaper. This would be why you might skip the Storm Ruler until you can safely kill the lizards nearby with the Large Sword of Searching equipped. I've always gotten at least one Pure Darkmoonstone this way. Incidentally, the number of times crystal lizards appear is one plus the number of bosses you've killed in that world. If the lizard starts running, that consumes one appearance. Every time you kill a boss, all of the lizards in that world respawn one further time.

Tendency is a sweeping mechanic that it's strange there's so little documentation on in the game. (They got better at this over time, but it seems like there are always some undocumented features in every Souls game that I don't know how people figured out, and I don't know how they expected anyone to figure it out.) There are two types of Tendency: World Tendency and Character Tendency. Character Tendency is pretty easy: Your Character Tendency moves toward white when you defeat Black Phantoms or (I think) help someone defeat a boss, and toward black when you kill NPCs or (I think) invade someone's world and kill them. Soulbrandt and Demonbrandt scale based on this Tendency, as do your overall stats when in Soul form, and the Monumental gives you a reward if you achieve Pure White. If you reach Pure Black, you can meet Mephistopheles, the one who sent Yurt to kill everyone in the Nexus. Both of them give you rewards that only have any effect in multiplayer, and neither is likely worth it.

World Tendency is specific to each world. It goes toward black if you die in Body form in that world or kill an NPC, and toward white if you kill a boss or a unique enemy that appears in Pure Black. The enemies in each world get stronger the closer to Pure Black you are, and when you hit Pure Black, additional Black Phantom enemies will appear as normal enemies in that world. (On the bright side, Black Phantoms always drop items, every time.) Item drops are affected by World Tendency as well - you'll tend to get more consumable items in white, and more upgrade materials in black. However, the big changes are when you hit Pure White or Pure Black. Each world has Tendency-based NPCs and paths, as well as Demons that can spawn. While there are exceptions, the NPCs will generally appear in living form when the world is Pure White, and as Black Phantoms in Pure Black. The Black Phantom versions will drop their weapons when defeated, and most of those are unique. The living ones, if killed, usually drop armor (like Garl Vinland). Most paths open only when the world is Pure White, and they often lead to unique items. Finally, in addition to the Black Phantoms, there are Primordial Demons in each world that appear when the Tendency is near or at Pure Black. They almost always drop Colorless Demon's Souls when killed, which upgrade the unique weapons that can't be upgraded any other way. One important thing to keep in mind is that a world's Tendency doesn't change until you leave it and reenter, so if you're in Pure White, you can die and still do the Pure White stuff as long as you don't leave first.

When the servers were still up, the World Tendencies would all be reset when you restarted the game, usually to just under Pure White. It was generally helpful. There were also events where all worlds would be forced to Pure White or Pure Black for a week around holidays like Halloween or Christmas. I'm pretty sure I beat most of the game during one of those events.

A quick rundown of Tendency stuff, spoilered in case you want to discover any of it for yourself: In Boletarian Palace, that gate near the start opens in either Pure White or Pure Black, and I believe it never closes again. Executioner Miralda appears in that area, and she'll just attack you in either form. The Binded armor she drops is decent for female characters. I've never messed with her axe much. The Primordial Demon is on that ledge near the Penetrator boss fight room. Also, the dragons in the first area will leave in Pure White, giving you a clear shot at the Large Flame Shield and the other items there. In Stonefang Tunnel, the Primordial Demon is at the bottom of the elevator on the far side of the first bridge. The path to the Dragon Bone Sword in the Dragon God's room opens in Pure White, and Scirvir the Wanderer shows up in a tunnel halfway down the big drop to Flamelurker's area. If you have the Dragon Bone Sword equipped, the living Scirvir will give you a Pure Greystone. The Black Phantom one drops a talisman that can cast both magic and miracles, and the lore on it is really something. In Tower of Latria, I think the Primordial Demon is somewhere on a plank in the swamp area, and the only NPC is Rydell - the Black Phantom version of him is already out of the cell and drops a polearm that regenerates MP. To free him, you need to climb that staircase in the second area in Pure White - there will be a narrow plank leading to the key to the second floor cells. This is the worst part - there's no way to get back to the first area without going through the Nexus, so I hope you didn't die along the way. In addition to being able to open Rydell's cell (he gives you the Dull Rat's Ring, I think), the blockage on the other side of the second floor is also gone in Pure White, and you can find more items in some of the cells. In the Shrine of Storms, the Primordial Demon is behind the illusory wall I mentioned earlier where you can find the White Bow. Also, the item on top of the stalagmite in the pit where you met Urbain will be on the floor in Pure White Tendency. It's the katana "Makoto", another one of those that hurts you when you swing it. The NPC, Satsuki, appears right near where you start the area, and he wants you to find Makoto. If you do, then he attacks you with it and you have to kill him to get it back. There's no point. His Black Phantom even only drops another Hiltless. Finally, in the Valley of Defilement, there's a ladder near the very first big guy that leads to that legendary spear, Istarelle, that Patches mentioned. (It still takes some fighting to get to it, and while it has Poison resistance, I think it scales with Faith.) The Primordial Demon is somewhere in the swamp, like everything else of note, and the NPC is Selen Vinland, who camps on that island you found with a couple of items and signs of life but no actual life. She's looking for her brother, Garl. We know what happened to him. Once you've defeated Astraea, if you return to her lair in Pure White, you'll find Black Phantom Garl Vinland, and no tricks - you have to beat him straight up. He drops his weapon, Bramd, and a seal you can show Selen to get another Miracle-enhancing Ring. The Black Phantom of Selen drops a sword called Blind that ignores shields and is much smaller than the Large Sword of Moonlight, but you have to fight her in the swamp, which is never fun. There's probably more that I'm forgetting, but this is probably enough to give you the idea.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nidoking posted:

World Tendency is specific to each world. It goes toward black if you die in Body form in that world or kill an NPC, and toward white if you kill a boss or a unique enemy that appears in Pure Black. The enemies in each world get stronger the closer to Pure Black you are, and when you hit Pure Black, additional Black Phantom enemies will appear as normal enemies in that world. (On the bright side, Black Phantoms always drop items, every time.) Item drops are affected by World Tendency as well - you'll tend to get more consumable items in white, and more upgrade materials in black. However, the big changes are when you hit Pure White or Pure Black. Each world has Tendency-based NPCs and paths, as well as Demons that can spawn. While there are exceptions, the NPCs will generally appear in living form when the world is Pure White, and as Black Phantoms in Pure Black. The Black Phantom versions will drop their weapons when defeated, and most of those are unique. The living ones, if killed, usually drop armor (like Garl Vinland). Most paths open only when the world is Pure White, and they often lead to unique items. Finally, in addition to the Black Phantoms, there are Primordial Demons in each world that appear when the Tendency is near or at Pure Black. They almost always drop Colorless Demon's Souls when killed, which upgrade the unique weapons that can't be upgraded any other way. One important thing to keep in mind is that a world's Tendency doesn't change until you leave it and reenter, so if you're in Pure White, you can die and still do the Pure White stuff as long as you don't leave first.

Am I right in thinking that you couldn't really get to Pure White world tendency in a single playthrough? It seems a bit nuts that you'd have all these blocked-off paths and unreachable content, just to cater to the small number of people who would not only beat the game, but want to then play it again, possibly multiple times.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Gort posted:

Am I right in thinking that you couldn't really get to Pure White world tendency in a single playthrough? It seems a bit nuts that you'd have all these blocked-off paths and unreachable content, just to cater to the small number of people who would not only beat the game, but want to then play it again, possibly multiple times.

It's entirely doable to do the pure white content in every world but it takes either planning, luck, or a white world tendency event. The easiest way to do it is never dying in body form outside the Nexus, which is why a lot of people kill themselves in the Nexus immediately after beating a boss.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 16, 2020

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I always used to do all of the Pure White stuff in a single playthrough. (I've never gotten very far in New Game +.) Not dying in Body form along the way is highly encouraged, but given the initial Tendencies, I think defeating one or two bosses should be enough to get to Pure White. Certainly, once you've beaten all three, you're there. Worst case, as long as you don't hit Pure Black too early, you may be able to get to that point, then go through the world from start to finish and do everything to bump the Tendency back up. It might not work that way offline, though. The page I linked upthread with the unofficial server has some messages you can drop to set any world to Pure White or Pure Black artificially, which should make things much easier.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Thanks for the world tendency info. It matches up with some of the research I did before starting the remake.

Speaking of the remake, if you guys are interested I could post videos for the playthrough I started in this thread as a sort of bonus thing. I'm currently only a couple episodes in. I guess it'd be a spoiler allowed playthrough since there's not much point in holding them back here. One of my main goals is to see some of the tendency related stuff that I missed in the original game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Doesn't seem like there's much interest in adding the remake to the thread, so I'm going to go ahead and get this playthrough submitted to the LP Archive. Thanks to everyone who watched / participated. If you want to check out the remake playthrough you can do so here.