Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

gay picnic defence posted:

It’s also the first time the transition has been an issue, apparently the Bush-Clinton-Bush-Obama transitions were seamless. I assume the earlier ones were mostly fine too.

Funny how the issue with the transition of power is caused by the guy with the power going out, not the guy who will have the power coming in. Almost like it's an extremely flawed system. Nah let's just stick with it and not think about changing it for 250 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean..... you used to could challenge someone to a duel and shoot them down

Could you imagine a trump/Biden duel? They’d both fire on the count of one...and miss.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

Pity they can't still do it. I have no love for Biden, but I'm pretty sure he'd have Trump beaten or running scared at the idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Richard Cabeza posted:

Could you imagine a trump/Biden duel? They’d both fire on the count of one...and miss.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Pretty sure Biden hasn't seen a muzzle loading musket since he was about 13 anyway.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Richard Cabeza posted:

Chances are Trump would look into the barrel to see if it's loaded.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Carth Dookie posted:

Pity they can't still do it. I have no love for Biden, but I'm pretty sure he'd have Trump beaten or running scared at the idea.

I highly doubt Trump has ever fired a gun in his life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Johnny Aztec posted:

I highly doubt Trump has ever fired a gun in his life.

You say that, but Trump is pretty much known for his ability to fire effectively

edit: Really, all these people going "he can DO THAT?" at Trump reassigning the staff of every bureau he can reach should not be surprised. Trump spent like 10 years firing people every thursday night on TV, he's had a lot of practice.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

CJacobs posted:

You say that, but Trump is pretty much known for his ability to fire effectively

On reality TV, maybe

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Great post/av combo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Trump appears to dislike hunting, and has called big-game trophy hunting a "horror show", so I doubt he's personally much for guns. His sons, on the other hand...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1326390695649800192

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
loving clickbait tweets.

"YOU'LL BE SHOCKED ABOUT WHAT THIS ONE lovely LAWYER DID THIS TIME!"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Richard Cabeza posted:

I read once this is historically how most duels went because it was usually more about honor and saving face than actually wanting to cap someone.

Sometimes though you'd get someone who thought they were in the face saving kind of duel who then just gets blasted by their opponant who is not.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

It’s also the first time the transition has been an issue, apparently the Bush-Clinton-Bush-Obama transitions were seamless. I assume the earlier ones were mostly fine too.

I had a readup on Wikipedia last night and the ones that weren't started the civil war (Buchanan to Lincoln) and ended the Reconstruction Era (Grant to Hayes) so good luck with that America, can your second republic constitution not include the insane bits allowing anyone to be armed to the teeth and counting black people as 3/5 of white people tia

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Avirosb posted:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Avirosb posted:

Lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Avirosb posted:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. Remember when trumpf kept talking about missiles he called "super dupers" and the defense department eventually had to explain to people what the gently caress he was rambling on about?

Taotipper
Nov 8, 2020

Beachcomber posted:

In the 1700s travel was very slow. It would take at least a week for some of the electors to arrive in DC.

Changing this would require an amendment and lol at getting 3/4 of the states to agree on anything.

Also, it's probably nice for the president elect to be able to take a little break between campaigning and governing.

The transition period in the 1700s was even longer, it was reduced by a constitutional amendment in the early 1900s but for whatever reason they decided it should still be over 2 months

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Shanghaied posted:

Constitutionally, his current terms ends on Jan 20 whether there's a new president or not. There is no room for interpretation at all - POTUS and VP are elected to four-year terms. It's the second sentence in Article 2. If neither Biden nor Trump becomes president, then hello President Pelosi!

It's almost worth doing just to see the chud reactions.

lol he's already not accepted the result of an election, what makes you think he's going to accept the THE DEMOCRATS!! kicking him out of the white house just because it's in the constitution

The question is really whether or not he has enough of a backing to maintain power and, to be honest, the republicans are lining up behind him from what I can see. I don't like doom posting but god drat America is in an extremely bad situation

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It really is something how Trump can bring to light all of these issues that have never really been an issue before because we've literally never had a worse president

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Sure would love to see the line of 80 year old senate Republicans try and stop the secret service from dragging trump from the white house

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

You know what time it is

thedonald.win nutjobs *snip*

I absolutely cannot wait to see what you find there on January 20th. :allears:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Beachcomber posted:

In the 1700s travel was very slow.

Imagine being stuck at the airport back in 1776.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtgzVARrPu4

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Need more lols.. Tweet you fat gently caress

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Garrand posted:

Sure would love to see the line of 80 year old senate Republicans try and stop the secret service from dragging trump from the white house

what about a bunch of right wing militias?

like yeah these guys are stupid as gently caress and disorganized, but fundamentally one side (including, presumably, people in the secret service) will think twice between firing on their own people and the other side literally won't even hesitate for a split second if they think it'll keep them in power.

Seventy million people voted for a giant fascist pissbaby lmao

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

If a militia tries to storm the white house to 'protect' Trump, they're getting shot

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Garrand posted:

If a militia tries to storm the white house to 'protect' Trump, they're getting shot

by the other militias.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Now that I think about it, there is no reason why this would end on January 20th. He can set himself up as the anti-president in Mar-a-Lago and keep farting out lawsuits and pretend to be the real president till 2024. Give orders to the Biden cabinet over twitter, make interview rounds on Fox News, meet with neonnazi party leaders in Europe as "the president", hold presidential rallies, etc. AFAIK there is no law that prohibits you to claim you are the president of the united states of america on social media

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

abigserve posted:

lol he's already not accepted the result of an election, what makes you think he's going to accept the THE DEMOCRATS!! kicking him out of the white house just because it's in the constitution

The question is really whether or not he has enough of a backing to maintain power and, to be honest, the republicans are lining up behind him from what I can see. I don't like doom posting but god drat America is in an extremely bad situation

Hey I don't think he cares about the constitution either. But all the doomers ITT keep bring up the various constitutional loopholes that he could use to remain in power, which just seems unnecessary and contradictory:

If he has the support, why not just seize power outright? Why bother with the loopholes? His supporters are not gonna care whether its constitutional.

And if he doesn't have the support, no amount of loopholes are going to disguise the blatant unconstitutionality of his actions, so why would he bother with loopholes?

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

GABA ghoul posted:

Now that I think about it, there is no reason why this would end on January 20th. He can set himself up as the anti-president in Mar-a-Lago and keep farting out lawsuits and pretend to be the real president till 2024. Give orders to the Biden cabinet over twitter, make interview rounds on Fox News, meet with neonnazi party leaders in Europe as "the president", hold presidential rallies, etc. AFAIK there is no law that prohibits you to claim you are the president of the united states of america on social media

Fox News business plan spotted.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shanghaied posted:

Hey I don't think he cares about the constitution either. But all the doomers ITT keep bring up the various constitutional loopholes that he could use to remain in power, which just seems unnecessary and contradictory:

If he has the support, why not just seize power outright? Why bother with the loopholes? His supporters are not gonna care whether its constitutional.

And if he doesn't have the support, no amount of loopholes are going to disguise the blatant unconstitutionality of his actions, so why would he bother with loopholes?

Even Tin-Pot dictators smear a thin veneer of "democracy" to add a whiff of legitimacy to their rule.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shanghaied posted:

If he's able to prevent enough EC votes from being cast, he doesn't need the military. If he fails, he'll probably try ordering the military to arrest or just plain shoot democratic leaders. His voting base would love it. I bet much of the military would support it to.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I keep forgetting that the election was only a week ago. So much has happened since, it feels like it should be close to Jan 20th already.

lol

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If, and it'a a big if, his lawsuits work, and somehow he is sworn in for a second legal term. This would do irreversible damage to America and her image worldwide.

Not that Trump, or even the majority of Americans would care, but nobody would even pay lip service to respecting American democracy. Trade deals would slowly start to dry up, any sort of legitimacy that anyone American said on the global scale would be gone.

And this is before all of the stupid, fascist, and petty things he would do over the next four years, "I think New York should be called Trumptown. Make it so. " etc.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

only if you discount impersonating a federal officer under 18 U.S. Code § 912

quote:

Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 742; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(H), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

but yeah, toss it on the pile

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Good morning everyone. Please enjoy this lol if you haven't already.

https://twitter.com/NickLutsko/status/1326375815572025344

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

DickParasite posted:

If he's able to prevent enough EC votes from being cast, he doesn't need the military. If he fails, he'll probably try ordering the military to arrest or just plain shoot democratic leaders. His voting base would love it. I bet much of the military would support it to.

Bullshit. The right can posture but this nation is still rattled over law enforcement and past military shootings (Kent state). The military will not open fire unless fired on. That’s an illegal order and officers will get fragged if they order 20 year olds to fire on civilians.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Shanghaied posted:

He needs some platform to push the conspiracy theories that keep his base on his side. He can't go full dictator because then he's only left with the extremists and the fringe, of which you can't control a country with. But if he gets 70 million people - who already want him to stay in the office, keep in mind - to shrug and be like "well, maybe he should stay president until all they sort out the fraud allegations" then there's no way to drag him out without effectively tearing the country apart in the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Richard Cabeza posted:

Bullshit. The right can posture but this nation is still rattled over law enforcement and past military shootings (Kent state). The military will not open fire unless fired on. That’s an illegal order and officers will get fragged if they order 20 year olds to fire on civilians.

Lotta chuds in the army would just love to shoot some liberals. And there're plenty of guns in America's cities. Whose to say who fired first?

Also, from the wiki on Kent State:

"A Gallup Poll taken the day after the shootings reportedly showed that 58 percent of respondents blamed the students, 11 percent blamed the National Guard and 31 percent expressed no opinion.[51] "

Do not count on the army to do the right thing.

e: think of how all the chuds and the conservative media react every time the cops kill an unarmed black guy. Fox will say Antifa shot at are brave soldiers, the soldiers responded appropriately, etc...

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 11, 2020