Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Meatball posted:

I'm expecting trump to just say at a rally next week "we're gonna figure out a way to make sure I'm president next year."

Everyone wants him gone in the Republican party but his hold over the base is very strong. They're just going along with it for now.

My concern is they use this as an excuse to block Biden's agenda: "We dont feel comfortable working with Biden until we figure out what happened in the election. The senate investigation starts Monday". Then they go the bill Clinton route: dig through his past with a fine tooth comb until they can find something they can misrepresent and attack him for.

The GOP has spent the last year digging through Biden's history trying to find things to attack him over. If there was a magic bullet that would destroy Biden's public support, they would have found it by now.

Murgos posted:

The people who want a Trump cabinet member on their board of directors or on their consulting team are exactly the people who are going to exclude someone fired by Trump. No one else wants a Trump cabinet member on their board, even if they were fired.

Esper's options for both private and public sector work are sharply curtailed by being fired. Will he land in a cushy job? Sure, but without nearly the options and opportunities he would have had otherwise.

The reason former cabinet officials get hired is for their connections and government experience. As long as Esper can reasonably claim to know some cool tricks for winning defense contracts, no company's gonna care which president he worked under or how he left the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

it's funny because in the Federalist Papers they talk about this (to critique the Articles government), and bring up historical examples of republics that failed because a minority could obstruct everything and keep the government from being able to function, and it was impossible to fix because that minority can obstruct any proposals to reduce their ability to obstruct.

And then they built those exact flaws into their new government. I honestly think we need a new constitution, like what happened with the original one: they didn't get a unanimous vote of the states to amend the Articles of Confederation. They just wrote this new thing and said "OK all the states who want to use this, ratify it and when we get enough we'll just use it and the other states can join or not"

Well, a lot of flaws in the Constitution at compromise they had to put in to even get enough states to sign in, i.e. result of minority obstruction over not wanting to give up a non-representative excessive amount of power..

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm pretty sure no, because Chuck Schumer would be majority leader

No he wouldn't. The next Senate is inaugurated on Jan 5th; the runoffs are Jan 6th. McConnell will have 50 votes to 48 on Jan 5th. They can do a number of parliamentary things in that 24hr window.

evilweasel posted:

so powell v. mccormak does not appear to apply to me because that's a case about excluding someone nobody doubts was legally elected, but was just a criminal. there the problem was they sought to effectively expel a member, but by majority vote rather than the 2/3rds required under the constitution, by saying they wouldn't seat them.

i read article 1 section 5 the same way you are doing here: that the senate has the power to adjudicate a dispute over who was legitimately elected to the seat and say that someone is not the legitimately elected senator, if there is a dispute. what you need to ask however is, who is voting? you would need to look if there is historical precedent, but I would argue that the "senate" voting on it would be the two thirds of the senate that was not up for election that year. dems are a majority of those (35 to 30). however perhaps that would not apply to the special election, where the winner should be seated at a different time.

Right exactly, I think because of the special election, the new Senate inaugurates the day before, and can then choose whether or not to seat the winners (or, tragedy/farce option if the seats split, just outright seat the GOP member and not the Dem).

It may not come to this because the Dems I suspect will lose one or both seats even if the elections are administered fairly. But if it does, it feels like this is the constitutional hardball we should expect from McConnell.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Except that all of these people we’re talking about have long private and public service careers that predate the Trump admin. Trump didn’t, like, hire Esper or Vindman from outside the field into the roles they had when he fired them.

Vindmann landed somewhere but it was not the landing he wanted.

Esper will land somewhere but is not the full glory of a successful run as SecDef.

This isn't a hard concept.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Apparently they are actually doing an audit

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/statu...ingawful.com%2F

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status...ingawful.com%2F

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Georgia SOS can't throw away pro-Biden ballots during a recount, correct?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Grouchio posted:

The Georgia SOS can't throw away pro-Biden ballots during a recount, correct?

This isn't a recount.

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1326549391075799041

It's basically just auditing the paper trail that their voting machines spat out.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1326559429119012866

Seriously, an audit isn't going to take that long. It's all done by machine.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rea posted:

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1326559429119012866

Seriously, an audit isn't going to take that long. It's all done by machine.

The GA SoS says each county is going to recount all ballots by hand. So, uh, I trust that he knows what he's talking about.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Murgos posted:

The GA SoS says each county is going to recount all ballots by hand. So, uh, I trust that he knows what he's talking about.

Basically every journalist I can find says this is just GA's legally-required audit, so I don't know what the gently caress Raffensperger is going on about. Could just be his PR team writing an announcement that conflates a recount and an audit because they don't know the difference.

Seriously, in the same statement, he also said this is a "recount, an audit, and a recanvass all in one," which I have absolutely no clue what that means. Those three are very different things.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petey posted:

Right exactly, I think because of the special election, the new Senate inaugurates the day before, and can then choose whether or not to seat the winners (or, tragedy/farce option if the seats split, just outright seat the GOP member and not the Dem).

It may not come to this because the Dems I suspect will lose one or both seats even if the elections are administered fairly. But if it does, it feels like this is the constitutional hardball we should expect from McConnell.

gotcha, i had not looked at the timing there

i think that would be a possibility, legally speaking, but i think that it would be unlikely all republicans go along with it, considering there's four currently not going along with the current nonsense regarding the presidency.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Rea posted:

Basically every journalist I can find says this is just GA's legally-required audit, so I don't know what the gently caress Raffensperger is going on about. Could just be his PR team writing an announcement that conflates a recount and an audit because they don't know the difference.

Seriously, in the same statement, he also said this is a "recount, an audit, and a recanvass all in one," which I have absolutely no clue what that means. Those three are very different things.

I think the idea is that because the margins are so tight, you end up needing to do a hand recount in order to do the audit. I might be wrong here, though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think the idea is that because the margins are so tight, you end up needing to do a hand recount in order to do the audit. I might be wrong here, though.

the way you would do an audit here would be take a reasonable sample of ballots, scan them, then hand count them, then compare the results

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KyungLahCNN/status/1326549352907591681

An underrated factor in GA runoff turnout is just how much of the Republican base will be loving dead by January 5th.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

evilweasel posted:

gotcha, i had not looked at the timing there

i think that would be a possibility, legally speaking, but i think that it would be unlikely all republicans go along with it, considering there's four currently not going along with the current nonsense regarding the presidency.

Right, I think the question is political, not parliamentary: would McConnell be able to hold his coalition together in that situation, and for how long?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

evilweasel posted:

the way you would do an audit here would be take a reasonable sample of ballots, scan them, then hand count them, then compare the results

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1326553419583156230

If Zetter is to be believed (and I don't have any reason to disbelieve her), then the legally-required sample here would be close enough to just auditing every ballot that it just makes better PR sense to audit every ballot.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

zoux posted:

An underrated factor in GA runoff turnout is just how much of the Republican base will be loving dead by January 5th.

COVID's not an automatic death sentence. I'm sure some people will get deeply sick, but others will be well enough to go about continuing to endanger their fellow man after a period of either being asymptomatic or being mildly unwell.

And COVID seems to punch harder at minorities since they're the ones doing essential work that cannot be done from home, so it's not all punishment for GOP voters.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1326564507351576576

Okay, apparently this is recounting all the ballots by hand, so the important difference now is that this was going to happen anyway, and isn't the result of the GA GOP and Trump's whining.

My head hurts.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

zoux posted:

I look at that and plague is the least of my worries. About a thousand things could happen that would lead to a disorganized crowd trying to find the nearest exit, and then someone dies from crushing injuries

Having a political rally in a loving strip-mall is just the worst idea I've ever seen from a crowd that runs on bad ideas

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rea posted:

Okay, apparently this is recounting all the ballots by hand, so the important difference now is that this was going to happen anyway, and isn't the result of the GA GOP and Trump's whining.

Who cares? Even if it's just to appease the big wet baby, let them recount. There's still no way a recount in Georgia can overturn the results. This isn't Florida.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Who cares? Even if it's just to appease the big wet baby, let them recount. There's still no way a recount in Georgia can overturn the results. This isn't Florida.

I think the primary worry right now is that this recount will go past the deadline for certification (December 8th, iirc) and allow the GA GOP to just send their own electors, regardless of the results.

A full hand recount does sound like it'll take a while, but apparently the weird hybrid audit/recount that GA is doing means that some of the time-wasting parts of a recount (having to put the ballots back where they found them) are nullified?

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1326566727950376960

Zetter certainly sounds like she doesn't think it's some ratfucking attempt.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rea posted:

I think the primary worry right now is that this recount will go past the deadline for certification (December 8th, iirc) and allow the GA GOP to just send their own electors, regardless of the results.

Let them. Not only would that STILL not overturn the election, it would be the biggest "gently caress you" to Georgia Democrats in history and practically guarantee big D turnout in the runoffs.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DarklyDreaming posted:

I look at that and plague is the least of my worries. About a thousand things could happen that would lead to a disorganized crowd trying to find the nearest exit, and then someone dies from crushing injuries

Having a political rally in a loving strip-mall is just the worst idea I've ever seen from a crowd that runs on bad ideas

Covid is spreading like wildfire through the US right now and the most realistic threat to this crowd.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Rea posted:

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1326566727950376960

Zetter certainly sounds like she doesn't think it's some ratfucking attempt.

Honestly this is right on, this is the time when you pull Republicans in on making reforms.

Their default setting is to not do poo poo most of the time they're in power and when they win, they certainly have no incentive or instinct to change anything, after all if they just won, then everything must be working fine, so why would you change it.

But since they just lost, their internal logic is telling them that something must be broken and needs to be fixed. They can't imagine that they simply lost fairly, so the answer must be either fraud or a glitch, either way, right now they're a lot more open to the idea of increasing election transparency and security.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If the Alaska vote counting continues like the last dump its going to end up nearly as close as Arizona.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Let them. Not only would that STILL not overturn the election, it would be the biggest "gently caress you" to Georgia Democrats in history and practically guarantee big D turnout in the runoffs.

"Let them overturn the results of the election and send their own electors :smuggo:"

::multiple states overturn electoral results and send their own electors and elect Trump to a 2nd term::

"Ah, well, nevertheless"

Insurrectum fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 11, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TheBizzness posted:

If the Alaska vote counting continues like the last dump its going to end up nearly as close as Arizona.

Really?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Insurrectum posted:

"Let them overturn the results of the electron and send their own electors :smuggo:"

::multiple states overturn electoral results and send their own electors and elect Trump to a 2nd term::

"Ah, well, nevertheless"

It is an unbelievably dumb system and seems tamperable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nate_cohn/status/1326548645034954753?s=21

An interesting way to look at those people where we are wondering whether it's a function of trust in the system to report info.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1326536823644938246
https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1326538048939593734

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

this is literally describing a coup and we shouldn't give it any more credit than we give people freaking out about the sun exploding and killing all of us.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

axeil posted:

this is literally describing a coup and we shouldn't give it any more credit than we give people freaking out about the sun exploding and killing all of us.

Well of we don't give those people credit, since the sun isn't going to go supernova, it's going to become a red giant.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I know we're the abused spouse who will always feel afraid, but what they're describing is ridiculous. The pressure isn't only one way, either; the world is moving on from Trump.

It's a straight "steal the election" gambit. That's not a legal remedy. The country's over if they do it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Insurrectum posted:

"Let them overturn the results of the election and send their own electors :smuggo:"

"Ah, well, nevertheless"

This isn't going to happen.

:siren: IK note :siren:
Going forward, unless you have a recent article or source quoting Republican led legislatures actually saying they are gonna go forward with just overriding their state's election results (and not the "hmmm, sure would be funny if we did that" takes, I mean actual "We're doing it and there's nothing you can do to stop us" takes), you will eat a probe for posts like this (this goes for everyone)

This isn't the thread for Doomposting or Nothing matters posting.

axeil posted:

This is more succinct to what I was getting at.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

axeil posted:

Like I said in the other thread, a real attempt to overturn the election literally means blood in the streets - probably including those who tried to overturn it. Hell, possibly secession and civil war.

What they're describing is not a bloodless procession of legal wrangling and Trump winning with one weird trick and wow everyone is okay with it.

And presumably everyone making these decisions understands that. Which is why it's hard to take this as anything more serious than stage-setting (which is still really bad!)

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
AP has called the Alaska Presidential and Senate races for Trump & Sullivan (R)

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1326575049294360577

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1326575307248308224

e: and Young (R) for the at large Congressional District

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1326576060843102210

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Biden's already +5 million in the popular vote, likely to end up more than a million above that. Remember the spontaneous celebrations in the streets because he lost?

https://twitter.com/toddgillman/status/1326568128843821056

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Good briefing from the Biden legal team about the state of the legal battles.
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1jMJgpgYqMlxL

Includes the lawsuits that judges, including Trump-appointed judges, have thrown out.

Also, the RNC is laying off staffers.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/politics/rnc-layoffs-trump-biden/index.html

quote:

Departments within the RNC were instructed Monday to inform staffers who were being laid off, though the scale of the layoffs vary among the departments. Most stemmed from those assigned to the RNC-Trump Victory program, the joint fundraising effort between the RNC and Trump campaign that served as the ground and field program for the Trump campaign.

A Republican source told CNN a "large portion of staff" were laid off. The exact number is unclear.

One source told CNN most of these jobs were only intended to last through the election, but the round of layoffs underscores how the Republican apparatus is hardly moving full-steam ahead to challenge the outcome of the results as the President wishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you're going to entertain some doom conspiracy (hint: don't,) at least think it all the way through before you start arzying all over the place please.

Every allied country is behaving according to Biden becoming the next president. The world media has called the election for Biden. The military actively hates trump, especially the officers.

Nobody wants to see what would happen if the GOP pulls a coup, but if they do, they'll be isolated and powerless and the whole thing will be more embarrassing than anything else.

I'm not saying they won't try, they're obviously trying right now, there's just no possible scenario I can imagine in which they get what they want at this point.