Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Something I really loved about the run is that there was a running joke of The Master cheesing it at the end of a serial via stolen vehicle...only for it to pay off in The Daemons, when he tries to escape in Bessie, which The Doctor prevents via remote control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Same but for all the Doctors on whatever episode I happen to be watching v:shobon:v

I mean, Fear Her...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fear Her was set in the impossible far flung future date of 2012! :aaa:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

Fear Her was set in the impossible far flung future date of 2012! :aaa:

To this day, the only good part of that whole episode to me was that they did some tiny little things to sell the timeframe of 'the not-too-distant future'. Nothing that steals the show of the whole thing, because that's not what they want to do, just little things like a computer monitor that's also a TV (which they were on the money on), or estimating what stage in their career a recent talent show winner would be at (which they were wrong about, but in fairness that's a REALLY tough shot to call). It says something that when you look back on it, the flaws in the setting itself are around the London Olympics part which they never could've gotten right, and not the '2012' part. I've got a real soft spot for media that tries to realistically depict very slightly into the future and ends up getting it mostly right--my favorite on all of that is the Persona series, especially Persona 4 (although Persona 5 gets credit for accurately predicting a batshit insane 2016 election season).

I remember people trying to criticize 'why is the torch going down this random-rear end London street', but I was a kid during the Sydney Olympics, and I have a very distinct memory of my whole family going out to watch the torch being run down a completely random road in one of Adelaide's shittier suburbs, so I can buy that part.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 11, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It got this right too.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

An Taoiseach posted:

Something I really loved about the run is that there was a running joke of The Master cheesing it at the end of a serial via stolen vehicle...only for it to pay off in The Daemons, when he tries to escape in Bessie, which The Doctor prevents via remote control

Delgado’s performance when the Doctor takes control of the car is... ahem... Masterful.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
I started watching through Pertwee's episodes recently and have really been enjoying them. Pertwee's portrayaI of the character is very charming. I do think his first series was the best so far (I'm towards the start of series 9 at the moment). All four of the stories are good, and having the first in HD is a real treat. Afterwards it was a bit sad to see the show put aside:

• A companion who's meant to be close to being the Doctor's equal
  • Cold opens
  • Cliffhanger endings that were amazingly abrupt

Plus, after his first series Pertwee's Doctor seems to spend more time being grumpy than before. Still, the chemistry between him and Delgado is fantastic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Roger Delgado definitely is just a lot of fun and he fits so well with Pertwee's Doctor.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Series 13 will have only 8 episodes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is it The Good Place that has that joke about a British TV show running for 50 years and producing nearly 10 episodes or w/e?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Probably Community with its whole Inspector Spacetime running gag.

Which I remember TV Tropes saw and immediately went :regd08:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Simpsons had a joke on the lines of "It's the most successful British comedy ever, and we're showing all six episodes!" (They probably had Fawlty Towers in mind, with its, er, 12 episodes in four years.)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

Probably Community with its whole Inspector Spacetime running gag.

Which I remember TV Tropes saw and immediately went :regd08:

Community itself was already badly running that poo poo into the ground by about the second time Inspector Spacetime was mentioned

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

It's hopeful to note that this is COVID-19 related, and not Chibnall related.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/Peterhouse_Cam/status/1326171393822760968?s=20

Comedian John Finnemore also appeared in Big Finish's "Doctor Who: The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield Volume 01", and wrote and co-starred in the wonderful BBC Radio comedy "Cabin Pressure", co-starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

My housemate was one of the other people to send in a solution, but his was incorrect (he didn't know which order to put two pages and just flipped a coin, so it's entirely possibly lost on that).

He hasn't been in Doctor Who but does watch a random serial with me every Thursday

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't Inspector Spacetime also on a lovely Sarah Silverman show on Comedy Central?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't Inspector Spacetime also on a lovely Sarah Silverman show on Comedy Central?

Close! Christopher Eccleston made a guest appearance on the Sarah Silverman Program in a Doctor Who-esque role.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Cleretic posted:

To this day, the only good part of that whole episode to me was that they did some tiny little things to sell the timeframe of 'the not-too-distant future'. Nothing that steals the show of the whole thing, because that's not what they want to do, just little things like a computer monitor that's also a TV (which they were on the money on), or estimating what stage in their career a recent talent show winner would be at (which they were wrong about, but in fairness that's a REALLY tough shot to call). It says something that when you look back on it, the flaws in the setting itself are around the London Olympics part which they never could've gotten right, and not the '2012' part. I've got a real soft spot for media that tries to realistically depict very slightly into the future and ends up getting it mostly right--my favorite on all of that is the Persona series, especially Persona 4 (although Persona 5 gets credit for accurately predicting a batshit insane 2016 election season).

I remember people trying to criticize 'why is the torch going down this random-rear end London street', but I was a kid during the Sydney Olympics, and I have a very distinct memory of my whole family going out to watch the torch being run down a completely random road in one of Adelaide's shittier suburbs, so I can buy that part.

Have you watched RTD’s recent (ish) mini series Years and Years? Good fun... sort of.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's great being a Who fan at times

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Whoa, can't believe they're selling one of the stars of the photoshop for The Five Doctors!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Tonight's viewing was The Horns of Nimon, which is actually really enjoyable to watch for most of its run time (and terribly boring the rest of it). The biggest flaw is that no two performances seem to be from the same programme.

If you've seen the clips of Graham Crowden's Soldeed you deserve to watch the entire thing, because while he's funny to watch in a vacuum, in the context of the rest of the serial every single line read of his final scene had all of us breaking down in hysterics to the extent it was difficult to follow the episode for the next couple of minutes.

Next up: the Sontaran Experiment!

Which is quite short, so we rolled up another random story to watch with it and got, rather fittingly, The Ark in Space. What are the odds.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Ark in Space is so good except for that one scene where Four does the "I'm going to pretend to be a sexist to snap you out of your fear!" trope, which I accept is mostly just that it's dated. It just grates more than the bubble wrap costumes. Tom's commentary on it made me laugh.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That’s one of the laziest and worst covers they’ve ever done. A fan on FB did this in 5 minutes aping the target novel cover and is so much better:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Let the Big Finish cover artists also design the DWM covers ya cowards

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tonight's viewing was The Horns of Nimon, which is actually really enjoyable to watch for most of its run time (and terribly boring the rest of it). The biggest flaw is that no two performances seem to be from the same programme.

If you've seen the clips of Graham Crowden's Soldeed you deserve to watch the entire thing, because while he's funny to watch in a vacuum, in the context of the rest of the serial every single line read of his final scene had all of us breaking down in hysterics to the extent it was difficult to follow the episode for the next couple of minutes.

The Nimon be praised!

Like quite a few things - I wouldn't like it if the show were like that every week, but for a capstone to the utterly unhinged Graham Williams/Douglas Adams year? Exquisite, absolutely exquisite.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1327265202799337472

Man that's a pretty cover

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eric Roberts is the most unique looking man ever.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

His hair reminds me of Capaldi

Handsome silver fox

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 14, 2020

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Anyone check out the first episode of Daleks! yet? The animation is a bit dodgy, but they make it work, and the synth heavy score is very nice. The voice acting is top notch (Nicholas Briggs shouting "Explain!" in the Dalek voice will never not be funny).

Big Finish are having a Paul McGann sale until the 18th - getting The Eleven for free a few weeks ago really recaptured my interest in the Eighth Doctor. I've listened to a few of the 8 and Charley audios over the years, but most of them are on Spotify now, and they're only £3 when they're not on sale, so I'm planning to go through them at some point - I don't really care about C'rizz as a character at all, so the Divergent arc doesn't appeal to me.

I was thinking about getting The Girl Who Never Was and Dark Eyes 1. Is that a good pick?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, what exactly IS this Time Lord Victorious stuff. Like what's the general plot? I thought it'd be about some kind of evil alternate universe Tenth Doctor from the end of Waters of Mars, but it's not that?? It seems weirdly hard to look up what this trans-media event is about, unless I am just horribly bad at googling.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So, what exactly IS this Time Lord Victorious stuff. Like what's the general plot? I thought it'd be about some kind of evil alternate universe Tenth Doctor from the end of Waters of Mars, but it's not that?? It seems weirdly hard to look up what this trans-media event is about, unless I am just horribly bad at googling.

From what I'm able to piece together, the two novels are the main story, everything else is just side stories? After his meltdown at the end of The Waters of Mars, the Tenth Doctor decides to go to the start of the universe and defeat the creatures that set lifespans for races. This starts to break time, so the Eighth and Ninth Doctor aren't happy about this.

The Big Finish audio trilogy has 8 meet the Time Squad Daleks and decide to go back, and the Doctor Who Magazine comic has 9 and vampires. Also there's a new big brain Dalek, something to do with an escape room, video shorts about UNIT finding a hole in the universe and Ood short stories on T-shirts, and Faction Paradox might be back in the main universe or something.

It's all very confusing and I've not been able to find plot summaries online for most of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Imagine the gatekeeping for understanding your multimedia event being so convoluted that not even this thread can understand it. Like we're loaded with Big Finish fans, people who have watched the reconstructions, people who read the novels, and, dear God, people who watched Torchwood.

We were involved in a big dueling review of all of New Who, including the original namesake of Timelord Victorious. Still, none of us can tell what they're asking us to buy and get excited about. I made a Google spreadsheet to detail Big Finish releases by date. I am currently thinking about a way to watch all of Classic Who and it will involve considerable effort, because Terry Nation and recons, and I can't bring myself to even try to understand what they're asking me to buy.

It's clear they put a lot of effort into it and just totally missed, it's "What not to do while marketing your popular property."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Imagine the gatekeeping for understanding your multimedia event being so convoluted that not even this thread can understand it.

Yeah, but basically no one in this thread is up to date with what BF/comics/whatever is doing.

But, if I may:

It's a series of stories that are all -- bar the two books -- basically standalone. They fit together into a larger mosaic, and have recurring villains and themes, but they're each individual pieces.

Broadly speaking, the series charts the worse excesses of the Tenth Doctor's Victorious phase, culminating in his attempt to travel back into the universe's prehistorical period and erase death from the galaxy. His earlier incarnations attempt to stop him, and deal with the fallout of his actions.

AKA what was explained in the post immediately above yours.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldMemes posted:

Anyone check out the first episode of Daleks! yet? The animation is a bit dodgy, but they make it work, and the synth heavy score is very nice. The voice acting is top notch (Nicholas Briggs shouting "Explain!" in the Dalek voice will never not be funny).

Big Finish are having a Paul McGann sale until the 18th - getting The Eleven for free a few weeks ago really recaptured my interest in the Eighth Doctor. I've listened to a few of the 8 and Charley audios over the years, but most of them are on Spotify now, and they're only £3 when they're not on sale, so I'm planning to go through them at some point - I don't really care about C'rizz as a character at all, so the Divergent arc doesn't appeal to me.

I was thinking about getting The Girl Who Never Was and Dark Eyes 1. Is that a good pick?

The Girl Who Never Was is AMAZING. Just make sure you listen through the end credits of part 4.

And Dark Eyes was is sooo good.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TLV feels too widespread

There's so much you need to get to see it all, and the connections to TLV on some of them are...tenuous at best, really

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1327989824754741248

I like TLV's sonic tho, even if it's yet another 10 rehash like River's (albeit without as many bells and whistles)

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

They weren't very clear on the fact that the novels are the main story, as in the actual plot of the event. And they've just put out a new story order that goes beyond the second book, making it even more confusing.

As far as I can piece together:

The two novels are the main story, with the Tenth Doctor having his crisis and going to the Dark Times and interfering with the Kotturuh, and 8 and 9 trying to talk their future self down from the brink of madness.
The Big Finish audios are how 8 gets to the Dark Times, meets Brian the Ood, and has to ally with the Dalek Time Squad.
The Doctor Who Magazine comic is how 9 gets to the Dark Times, and vampires are involved.

That's the core stuff.

The annual story is extra lore on the Kotturuh, as is the newsletter short story.
The Faction Paradox story is linked but on the fringe, since Faction Paradox aren't really canon to Doctor Who anymore.
The comic making app stories are side short stories.
The Master audios are more Kotturuh lore and background lore for the Big Finish stories.
The Tenth Doctor comic is set after time starting breaking.
Daleks! ties into the action figures short stories, and is stories about the new Dalek Emperor.
BBC audio are doing an audio book and also an audio play that can be listened to in either order, a la Flip Flop, but it's also on vinyl for some reason.
There's an Ood t-shirt with a short story written on it.
The UNIT webcasts tie into the live show experience that we don't know much about.
There's an escape room and a Fourth Doctor audio that serves as prequel, as well as "print and play escape room".
The VR game is getting an update of some kind.
Also the TARDIS got a POV short story on the BBC website.

That's assuming that I'm even understanding this right, its very confusing.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 15, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
'All Flesh Is Grass' is one hell of a title, though. That's got a House of Leaves kinda vibe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cleretic posted:

'All Flesh Is Grass' is one hell of a title, though. That's got a House of Leaves kinda vibe.

It's from the Bible, isn't it?

Still cool though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Its been amazingly mismanaged, and the guy in charge of it having meltdowns on Twitter anytime anyone questions what is going on is the only thing I've enjoyed so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And then one of the stories, the Eighth Doctor and Tenth Doctor story that was available on LP in stores, got postponed until next year due to the shutdown in the UK. As a result, BF also had to postpone the download release of that story.