Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

I think Iron Man 2 benefits/suffers from being the big "world builder" entry. Its the movie where the MCU really started to expand into what its become and back then I think its incredibly cool to see Black Widow and Fury and War Machine and everything else, but 10 years later after so many MCU films and teamups that's really not that special and its a bit of a less impressive standalone piece.

Thor I think has a bit of the same but I think its more of its own film.

I still remember what a crazy novelty it was to see Cap’s shield appear for like half a second in IM2. All the Phase 1 movies still have this unique quirkiness to me because they were clearly still figuring things out and hadn’t yet reached that fine-tuned assembly line feel of the later phases. I’d almost call it nostalgia if the movies weren’t barely a decade old.

They’re never going to recapture that “holy poo poo they’re actually doing it” feel of getting all these characters together in one movie, although Endgame definitely came close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thor benefited from Iron Man 2 being the test for the shared universe I think.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also think it was doing enough of its own world building that took center stage and Hawkeye's just a little bonus, and stuff like Loki and Asgard that matter huge down the line are part of the key story. Iron Man 2 already has its foundation in place so we're way more focused on the side stuff of Black Widow and War Machine and Cap's shield.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Well, I did it.

Due to the unspeakable popular demand that totally exists, I made a video essay about everyone's favorite movie, Man of Steel. Specifically about Pa Kent, my favorite character! I mean there's a bunch of stuff dissecting superhero mentor tropes but we all know what the people really want. Yes, it's 45 minutes. Yes, it's all downhill from there.

I would like to sincerely thank everyone here, because this is absolutely all your fault. Special shout-out to A loving Pandemic, which gave me the free time to do anything like this. <3

Hopefully there will be more, everyone said! In fact, next one will probably be about Doctor Strange.

I enjoyed this, and thought it was interesting. My only bit of advice is in regards to audio quality, but that might just require a new mic etc, but otherwise very good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh definitely, I had no idea how voiceover stuff had to be done, which is pretty embarrassing in retrospect. Apparently it's not quite as easy as "talk into your phone, put it into an app, profit." The next video will have much better sound editing along with actual pop filters and so forth.

And thanks!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stuff like RTX voice really helps make that easy now too, you can get very clean voice audio just from any old mic on your PC if you have a compatible video card.

(Yes, video.)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
there wasn't much news from the Disney earnings call, which isn't surprising given that they have the Disney+-focused Dec. 10 investor day that's more likely to deliver on that front, but Chapek did confirm that Mulan and Disney+ Premier Access weren't a one-off (which is interesting, given that some had assumed that releasing Soul on the standard Disney+ subscription tier meant that they saw it as a failure) and that there would be more news next month. so I guess that could be good news for anyone hoping to see Black Widow before next fall or whenever a vaccine is widely available

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WandaVision is officially coming out in January.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

WandaVision is officially coming out in January.

Trump being dragged out of the white house kicking and screaming and Wandavision? January is going to be a hell of a month.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If anyone else is in the UK, ITSV has finally been added to Netflix!

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1327348338744766466

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Out of the three things I know about that movie, this is the third most exciting. Even if it means Drax shows up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought we already knew the Guardians would be in Thor 4.

I find it funny that between Hulk in Thor 3, Wanda in Strange 2, and Guardians in Thor 4 that every movie is basically a teamup now. And by "funny" I mean "awesome."

But those contracts must be a nightmare.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

Out of the three things I know about that movie, this is the third most exciting. Even if it means Drax shows up.

Do you mean especially if it means Drax shows up? Cause he's the best guardian.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Do you mean especially if it means Drax shows up? Cause he's the best guardian.

I'm saying I can take or leave Pratt, but also that Drax rules.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Drax will be there you just won't see him, because he has mastered the art of invisibility

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

I'm saying I can take or leave Pratt, but also that Drax rules.
:hmmyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If Pratt would acknowledge that his church is super loving lovely I'd like him a lot more.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think for this phase they are doing more team-up films instead of a big Avengers movie. Which is fine by me because earlier movies with team-up like Thor Ragnarok were great

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can't drop a film with EVERY loving HERO and then go back to single hero adventures.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

You can't drop a film with EVERY loving HERO and then go back to single hero adventures.

Black Widow would disagree.

Or she would I guess, but she's dead and also her movie's been pushed back forever...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pratt is no good but I still like Star-lord.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Black Widow would disagree.

Or she would I guess, but she's dead and also her movie's been pushed back forever...

They gave her a whole team for her film.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Does Spider-Man Far From Home not count because it contains Marvel fan-favorite character, Ned?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sony. Doesn't count.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Drax will be there you just won't see him, because he has mastered the art of invisibility

It would be great if Drax was there and all he did was either standing still or moving really slowly in the background.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IUG posted:

Does Spider-Man Far From Home not count because it contains Marvel fan-favorite character, Ned?

Far From Home contains Skrulls and Nick Fury.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Far From Home contains Skrulls and Nick Fury.

...well, just skrulls.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

IUG posted:

It had Fury and Hill, AND Box of Scraps guy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

theironjef posted:

AND Box of Scraps guy.

Ralphie Parker did not shoot his eye out with a Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle for this level of disrespect.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

howe_sam posted:

Ralphie Parker did not shoot his eye out with a Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle for this level of disrespect.

Tony Stark built this in a cave. With a box of scraps! And it had a compass in the handle and this thing that tells time!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Tony Stark is more important to the plot of Spider-Man: Far From Home than he is to the plot of his own films, so I'd say it still counts as a crossover. :cheeky:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
https://screenrant.com/constantine-2-development-keanu-reeves-peter-stormare/

gently caress Constantine gently caress The Matrix gently caress Bill and Ted gently caress Speed

When is Hollywood going to bring back the pinnacle of Keanu Reeves' career?

WHERE'S JOHNNY MNEMONIC 2 YOU COWARDS?

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 14, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Bring in Matt Ryan for Into The Constant-Verse

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Bring in Tom Ellis too for a Lucifer-off

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The gently caress? All that stuff they've been saying will be added to the Synder Cut is only 4 minutes?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

The gently caress? All that stuff they've been saying will be added to the Synder Cut is only 4 minutes?
I saw that story yesterday too, and that makes absolutely no sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lot of Whedon in the Snyder Cut I guess.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

A lot of Whedon in the Snyder Cut I guess.

I thought he said only like 10% of Whedon's cut was him :psyduck:

e: why bother with the weirdest, most delayed reshoots of all time if you're adding four minutes to a four hour project? What the gently caress?

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume at least half of those four minutes must be Jared Leto then in which case what the gently caress