Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
its bad because people are flipping them on Ebay for twice the price and rubes are actually buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

hatty posted:

its bad because people are flipping them on Ebay for twice the price and rubes are actually buying them.

Something something supply demand. Something something natural market price.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Has anyone actually seen a bot? What I mean is you always see people complaining about them. But is there any proof that they actually exist? Beyond anecdotal evidence that something sold out real fast. Is there software you can buy? Are there hordes of developers writing their own apps that are able to place orders without using the web interface?

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
ship the console, target

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

There are discords where you can watch feeds of the scalpers bots as they buy consoles. I watched one a bit when preorders first went up, it made me come the the conclusion that I didn't stand a chance to score a preorder.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Waltzing Along posted:

Has anyone actually seen a bot? What I mean is you always see people complaining about them. But is there any proof that they actually exist? Beyond anecdotal evidence that something sold out real fast. Is there software you can buy? Are there hordes of developers writing their own apps that are able to place orders without using the web interface?

Anyone with an intermediate knowledge of web scripting could poke around a store and develop a bot that refreshes the page and checks you out faster than any human could. Some people homegrow, some sell it, some just give it out for free. 5 minutes with google can get you most of the way there, there are discord servers where you can collaborate and trade tips and such.

Ended up snatching the Costco bundle after all. Their generous return policy made me feel ok about maybe overspending a bit. Hope Spiderman is worthwhile.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Waltzing Along posted:

writing software to do this kinda stuff is trivial. you can use something like selenium to control a web browser and slam a website harder and faster than any human could

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megasabin posted:

Target finally shipped it... to arrive next Wednesday. What a mess this launch is.

Check the actual FedEx tracking after 24 hours. Mine from Target finally shipped late last night. Said to arrive Wednesday. Checked the FedEx tracking today (at FedEx.com - not Target's site) and it says it's arriving tomorrow.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Anyone with an intermediate knowledge of web scripting could poke around a store and develop a bot that refreshes the page and checks you out faster than any human could. Some people homegrow, some sell it, some just give it out for free. 5 minutes with google can get you most of the way there, there are discord servers where you can collaborate and trade tips and such.

Ended up snatching the Costco bundle after all. Their generous return policy made me feel ok about maybe overspending a bit. Hope Spiderman is worthwhile.

Is the costco bundle still available?

Is it possible to buy a membership online and then buy the bundle?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

il serpente cosmico posted:

Getting a PS4 and a Switch were nowhere near as bad as this. Both of those had functioning pre-orders up for days before they sold out, rather than sites getting crashed and selling out within minutes whenever inventory goes up.

PS4 maybe, but it was near impossible to get a Switch for like 6 months after launch. Plus there was no pandemic to inflate demand in 2013 or 2017.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Waltzing Along posted:

In case this isn't a joke post, yeah, I've seen a lot of threads about scripts people were using and tweaking for specific sites. It was clear enough that the odds of getting it online legitimately were basically like winning a small lottery that I waited in line about 9 hours to do an in-person preorder back in September

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Critical posted:

Is the costco bundle still available?

Is it possible to buy a membership online and then buy the bundle?

It is not available anymore

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Megasabin posted:

Target finally shipped it... to arrive next Wednesday. What a mess this launch is.

BonoMan posted:

Check the actual FedEx tracking after 24 hours. Mine from Target finally shipped late last night. Said to arrive Wednesday. Checked the FedEx tracking today (at FedEx.com - not Target's site) and it says it's arriving tomorrow.

I finally got "we shipped it!" email, saying it will arrive the 18th, that includes a tracking number, which FedEx says does not exist. :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

My one regret is not trying harder for Sony Direct

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's just bizarre to me that a single product going live crashed an international mega-corporation's entire website and there probably isn't a single person going "huh, maybe we need to change how we do things"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lumpy posted:

I finally got "we shipped it!" email, saying it will arrive the 18th, that includes a tracking number, which FedEx says does not exist. :v:

Takes a bit to get into their systems sometimes. Keep the faith!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

It's just bizarre to me that a single product going live crashed an international mega-corporation's entire website and there probably isn't a single person going "huh, maybe we need to change how we do things"

the capitalism hasn't failed us thus far :thunk:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Why bother when it only happens once a decade or so?

It’s not worth fixing when it works fine 99.9999% of the time otherwise.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PantsBandit posted:

It's basically "Just in Time" solutions. Everything corporate function now-a-days (from IT to manufacturing to general logistics) is handled with just-in-time "lets try to scale our infrastructure up and down in real time" poo poo. So You'll never get a website that is large enough to handle these kind of things because 99.99% of the time they don't need it. And if they do try to scale up in anticipation of something like this they:

a.) normally can't do it in time and
b.) still fail to properly assess server loads

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

PantsBandit posted:

They got their money, why do they care if a scalper or an actual user buys it

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

bradzilla posted:

PS4 maybe, but it was near impossible to get a Switch for like 6 months after launch. Plus there was no pandemic to inflate demand in 2013 or 2017.

The run up to launch wasn't as bad. I got a pre-order for the switch by only being mild on top of things, rather than hammer F5 the day before Sony said they would even go up.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

My Sony order says it's preparing for shipment yay

Same here, is that good news or just "wait until we figure out the custerfuck that is this release"?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The run up to launch wasn't as bad. I got a pre-order for the switch by only being mild on top of things, rather than hammer F5 the day before Sony said they would even go up.

I tried to pre-order when they first went up like a month ago but Sony bungled that and didn't announce the time when pre-orders would go live like they said they would and they went up middle of Sonys presentation and were sold out before most people realized. It was real dumb.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That was super embarrassing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just don't get why they don't do it like apple does and just keep orders open forever. I know Walmart won't do that but I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem on the official Sony site.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Fuckin hell. The stupid Walmart sale went up while I was dealing with something at work. Urrgghhh. I’m just gonna try to pop over to the Walmart near work real fast.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
FWIW I called my local Target today and was told that, while they can't sell any stock in-store today, they can tomorrow. Whether or not they'll get more stock that hasn't been claimed is obviously a crap-shoot, but it was a different message than the "zero in-store stock" that Sony has been saying.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Popete posted:

I tried to pre-order when they first went up like a month ago but Sony bungled that and didn't announce the time when pre-orders would go live like they said they would and they went up middle of Sonys presentation and were sold out before most people realized. It was real dumb.

That's how I missed the pre-order too. I was like "wait, they're live?" And if course when I looked it was sold out.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I buy the ps4 version of spiderman do i

Get a free ps5 upvradr
And can continue my save on ps5

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Get a free ps5 upvradr

No. You have to rebuy it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Rexicon1 posted:

Fuckin hell. The stupid Walmart sale went up while I was dealing with something at work. Urrgghhh. I’m just gonna try to pop over to the Walmart near work real fast.

all sales are online-only today. your local store could possibly break that rule but I wouldn't count on it, and that's assuming they even have them in stock in the first place

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Get a free ps5 upvradr
If you mean Miles Morales, you get the PS5 upgrade free, yes to save transfer.
If you mean Spiderman, no to free upgrade, but yes to save transfers, Sony relented. This will come in an update around Thanksgiving.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 12, 2020

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Popfindr update: Target near me was showing 4 in stock, went in to the store and an associate confirmed for me that only online pre-orders are available for pick up today, but that if they have any in stock tomorrow morning they can be bought in store.

edit:

PantsBandit posted:

FWIW I called my local Target today and was told that, while they can't sell any stock in-store today, they can tomorrow. Whether or not they'll get more stock that hasn't been claimed is obviously a crap-shoot, but it was a different message than the "zero in-store stock" that Sony has been saying.
Missed this in my rush to post, but I can at least corroborate this.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

If you mean Spiderman, no to free upgrade, but yes to save transfers, Sony relented.

I'm pretty sure Sony's position has always been that it's a developer decision, not something they were blocking.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

JazzFlight posted:

If you mean Spiderman, no to free upgrade, but yes to save transfers, Sony relented.

Oh, in hadn't heard that. That's something at least. I'll probably wait until a sale to pick it up anyway, but that's good to know.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

holy poo poo :cripes:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Next console launch Sony and Microsoft should just with with the retailers and make a god drat 1-800 number with a queuing system, to beat the internet bots.

We have chat bots that have been demonstrated that could theoretically game this as well but that would be harder and the technology isn't quite there yet.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

morallyobjected posted:

I'm pretty sure Sony's position has always been that it's a developer decision, not something they were blocking.
Yeah, I just meant they relented about being dicks and not having their first party devs make that a priority. It should be required on all exclusive PS5 games (frankly, I think it should be required by all devs and Sony should foot the server space for cloud saves).

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I never played Days Gone on my old white PS4, so I decided to buy it for playing off my PS5. poo poo it's pretty nice, 4k HDR, 60fps or at least fast enough to convince me otherwise. Graphics look nice. This is how I want all my PS5 games to be. I'm sorta done with 30fps these days. I'm used to 60fps+ on PC and with the PS5 I'll probably pick performance over raytracing if that means I can get my 4k 60fps fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Already have a casuality. My included HDMI cord doesn't work. Thankfully I have plenty.