Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Also recall that his planned books start with an outline that he says looks about like this:

Part One:
Bob Learns that he is the Mystic gardener.
Sally finds a nasty tree in her gardens.
Part Two:
Bob is dramatically driven out of his village by talking potatoes.
Sally breaks up with her fiancé over the spinach incident.
Part Three:
Bob fights with the main villain in the pumpkin patch.
Sally discovered inside the largest pumpkin.
Part Four:
Bob ascends to be king.

I say “planned books,” of course, to account for when he busts out a whole novella during a trans-Atlantic flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I kinda forgot the emperors soul existed. Does that tie into the Cosmere or should I just assume everything does at this point?

I believe the only way it's tied in to any other stories so far (other than being set on the other side of Sel) is Hoid's cameo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheMadMilkman posted:

I say “planned books,” of course, to account for when he busts out a whole novella during a trans-Atlantic flight.

That was Legion, right? He conceived of it and started writing at the beginning of the flight and by the time it landed he had a first draft if I recall.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Daric posted:

Emperors Soul takes place on the same planet as Elantris

Dope. I’ll read it because of course I would.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Proteus Jones posted:

That was Legion, right? He conceived of it and started writing at the beginning of the flight and by the time it landed he had a first draft if I recall.

IIRC it was Alloy of Law.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Yes.

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC it was Alloy of Law.

Alloy of Law was written to clear his head after finishing WoT. It turned out better than expected, so he revised the Mistborn release plans.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I kinda forgot the emperors soul existed. Does that tie into the Cosmere or should I just assume everything does at this point?

Emperor’s Soul also explains the basics of how the Physical / Cognitive / Spiritual Realms work, which I think could be helpful for new readers before they get to some of the more Cosmere-heavy stories.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

KKKLIP ART posted:

Don't forget that Hoid makes an appearance because he stole the real Moon Sceptre which Cosmere theory spoilers since he's going around accumulating power, means there's something up with the Moon Sceptre.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Torrannor posted:

Dawnshard spoilers: I'm not sure that Hoid searches for a Dawnshard. Did you read the Dawnshard annotations that Brandon posted?

Cosmere & Dawnshard Hoid searches for people and things to achive his goal. We also know that he moves based on the whim of Fortune as much as he does through conscious thought. I think his Dawnshard was something like Survive since I suspect thats the main questline Kelsier pursued. I don't know if he'd be able to hold a different dawnshard, hold the same one twice, or even hold one ever again. But with all the power he has the magnifying power of a Dawnshard wouldn't be something he'd skip out on. He has Connection to enough of the other shards that could likely seize them from their existing vessels or reform the shattered remains if he held Change for example. He isn't the sort of good natured hero guardian of the universe. Power gets him closer to his goal and a Dawnshard would accelerate that. I do think he doesn't know that Change was on Roshar but it was likely one of the reasons his Fortune led him to the planet at first. Much like Rysn's deception getting involved with Dalinar and Odium is very likely to accidently mask from Hoid the bigger prize, thinking that the war is the big tale being told that he's there for.

Cosmere cosmology Since we know 10.5 of the 16 Shards and 1 of four dawn shards I'm going to pose some baseless theory. I don't think the dawnshards are going to have opposites, not even in the loose opposite way the shards do. In order to be the divine will to create the universe they've all got to be somewhat progressive. I'm betting on Unite, Survive, Change, and for the final one I would have picked Love if it wasn't so cliche, so maybe Create or Explore?. Ambition + Ruin + Cultivation belong to Change. Dominion + Honor + probably Devotion are under Unite. Preservation + Autonomy + the mysterious survival orientated shard (Contemplation?) fall under Survive. Odium + Endowment go into bin four for Love/Create/whatever

In short i'm glad that we've got until the mid 2040's worth of Cosmere books planned out.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Cosmere cosmology I don't think the dawnshards are going to have opposites, not even in the loose opposite way the shards do. In order to be the divine will to create the universe they've all got to be somewhat progressive.

this is honestly a pretty good point, we make assumptions that they must be opposed based on Shards, but those are just assumptions

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

(Dawnshard) I wonder if or how the Change Dawnshard is related to the super-secret tenth name of the Almighty: Elithanathile, He Who Transforms.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
All Cosmere Spoilers (Including Dawnshard):

So I've been working on my Dawnshard/Shards theory since reading Dawnshard and came up with the below:

https://i.imgur.com/ET2J6l5.png

Can read my full explanation in the reddit thread I posted as I don't want to just copy/paste here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/jsk44e/combined_dawnshardshards_theory/

It feels right to me but I guess all of your own theories always seem right to yourself (but not claiming any of the unknown shard names are right, just filled in stuff that sound reasonable).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

insider posted:

(but not claiming any of the unknown shard names are right, just filled in stuff that sound reasonable).

it will be funny if there are a bunch of nice Shards out there, they're just hiding and don't want any part of all this poo poo

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I really don't think there are any shards or intents more violent than Ruin, and a lesser extent Odium. Kinda hard to rule creation when your metaphysical constant drive is to break things.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Before you go too far down the rabbit hole of speculation, Brandon Sanderson himself has said that he hasn't finalized all the names of the shards.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

I kind of wish I had just left them blank now as everyone is just focusing on the names of the shards which is not the point of the theory at all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Finally finished Dawnshard. Goddamn those reveals and that epilogue for both Lopen saying his Third Ideal by realizing his attempts to be friendly and funny actually tend to hurt people, and that his cousin's Third Ideal was probably something to the effect of "I'll protect others even if they hurt me" given how he described Lopen's behavior.

The Epilogue seems to hint that each Dawnshard might imprint some level of Investiture of the 4 shards they were responsible for creating on the respective Dawnshard holder. Rysn seems to have at least the Third Heightening since suddenly seeing colors more vividly and noticing the tone of the captain's voice so distinctly like a person with Perfect Pitch might do. If true, then this Dawnshard is the 'parent' of Endowment (and 3 others) in the mural and we'll see other forms of Investiture begin to manifest in Rysn.

eke out posted:

it will be funny if there are a bunch of nice Shards out there, they're just hiding and don't want any part of all this poo poo

You mean like Preservation was? For a cosmic force of nature they were about as close to benign as you could expect so I wouldn't be surprised if some are "nice" to the extent that an entity of that level could be. See also: Cultivation, whose drive would be to create and nurture rather than to destroy.

Sab669 posted:

The only thing I remember whatsoever was, I think Way of Kings "spoiler", someone in an interlude at the Pure Lake said, "merciful Domi" but I'm probably missing other clues.

More specifically, in that part of Way of the Kings. The three people visiting Purelake are characters from the Elantris, Mistborn, and White Sand story settings. The 2nd person in that list could be very interesting since, IIRC, Stormlight takes place around the same time as the Wax and Wayne series on Scadrial while that character is from the original trilogy, so they're hundreds of years old and a living legend for people like Wax and Wayne.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 12, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So Rhythm of War will be out soon, which means it's once again time to make some predictions what will happen, and also to state what we hope to see in the book. I will be basing these on both the pre-released chapters of RoW, as well as Dawnshard.

Some predictions what will happen:

Adolin will revive his blade. It was hinted at in Oathbringer, but thinking about it, how well will he be received as an ambassador when he shows up at the Honorspren's capital with a dead spren in tow? So this just has to happen. I wonder if he will be an Edgedancer, as Maya is an Edgedancer blade? Would be strange to have a second one after Lift. Or perhaps he can revive her without becoming a Radiant?

Shallan will not "deal" with her multiple personalities, and Veil at least will join the Ghostbloods after carrying out Mraize's mission in Shadesmar.

Kaladin will not swear his fourth ideal. Instead, when the Fused attack Urithiru, he will overcome some of his PTSD, preparing him for swearing his fourth ideal in the next book.

Szeth will use Nightblood to permanently kill that warcrimes Fused.

Dalinar will probably not do much, I predict Navani will outshine him. She has her own little plot going with the inventions, investigating that captured Unmade, and dealing with whoever sent her that threatening letter.

Venli will surely speak her second ideal. It's "I will seek freedom", and it will definitely be in the process of declaring independence from the Fused.

I'm still really unsure whether the Fused will manage to capture the tower and turn it against the Radiants. I'm leaning on "they will", but I could really see it going either way.

That invasion into Emul will probably go bad for both the Radiants and the Fused, with Ishar joining the battle just in time to mostly wipe out both forces. He's mad, after all.

Rysn will continue to appear in interludes. I honestly don't think we will see the full power of her Dawnshard in Rhythm of War, but perhaps we will learn that a combination of X plus a Dawnshard might allow our heroes to defeat Odium, and book 5 will be spent searching for X and a Dawnshard. X (whatever that is) is likely in Shinovar.

Now for my with list of things I want to see:

More Renarin! More Glys! I really want to see more of those two, they have an interesting dynamic, and of course the mystery of the corrupted Radiant spren is super interesting.

While I was very pleased with the amount of Lopen we got in Dawnshard, there can never be too much Lopen. More Lopen please! More Bridge 4 please! How does Sigzil handle Kaladin's responsibilities, what are Drehy and Skar up to, how do they cope without Rock as a cook?

I wouldn't mind if we get a bit less Taravangian. Let him fade to the background for a bit, to set up his inevitable betrayal at a crucial point in book 5.

Seeing more of the Azish would be nice, especially how they handle the return of the Radiants.

I really hope Rlain and those Parshendi that Eshonai sent away will come into play this book. This is the perfect opportunity, with Venli coming to the tower with other Singers and the Fused. Rlain was criminally underused in Oathbringer, and I hope this changes in RoW.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Moash die. Horribly.

So, what are your predictions, and what would you like to see?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

All I want right now is to see more of the other orders of Radiants :v:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I haven't read any of the preview chapters, but I'm there with you. I want to see what dustbringers are all about because they seem like hosses.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

That invasion into Emul will probably go bad for both the Radiants and the Fused, with Ishar joining the battle just in time to mostly wipe out both forces. He's mad, after all.

honestly i hope they subvert expectations on this one at least a little bit: we know directly it's a trap, Navani and Dalinar are both insanely suspicious, and the Mink's plan fit so perfectly into the trap it appears to be a betrayal. plus, they KNOW Ishar is insane and not really their ally.

at this point it just seems way too predictable and obvious for it to be a normal trap that they walk straight into knowingly, i smell a twist. hell, maybe the surprise is that Odium is just straight-up willing to sacrifice an army there in return for potentially winning Urithuru and it doesn't actually go badly

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Odium just wants to get out of Roshar. If billions of people die, even if they're on his "side", he won't care.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Fezz posted:

Odium just wants to get out of Roshar. If billions of people die, even if they're on his "side", he won't care.

Dalinar asked him about that in a theoretical sense but then Odium said he'd have to make sure Cultivation and the remnants of Honor were no longer a threat. Which seemed pretty stupid of him to be honest. Even if its a lie "just let me go and I'll leave you alone" seems like a strong position to argue from.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Can't wait for Home Alone: Urithiru with Navani, Kaladin, Szeth, Lift, and Vasher as the Fused try to overtake it

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Subvisual Haze posted:

Before you go too far down the rabbit hole of speculation, Brandon Sanderson himself has said that he hasn't finalized all the names of the shards.

I believe he said he'd have them all 'finished' by RoW, even if we don't know it all by then.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The OreSeur/Vin relationship is so weird at the beginning of Well of Ascension. And I feel like Vin comes off like a bit of a dick with this. I wonder how much that tension between them is in this book. I hope it gets resolved sooner than later. Because right now it just feels like she abuses him since he is “under contract” and then he just is snarky in response.

Other than that, I’m excited to see where this book goes. Definitely a slooooooooow start.

EDIT: Overall, I feel like Vin is a little harsh and cruel at the start of this book (also, Vin confirmed to be okay with killing dogs). If this book ends up being more about her processing her trauma and guilt, then I'll be a little more accepting of this side of her.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 12, 2020

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Mordiceius posted:

The OreSeur/Vin relationship is so weird at the beginning of Well of Ascension. And I feel like Vin comes off like a bit of a dick with this. I wonder how much that tension between them is in this book. I hope it gets resolved sooner than later. Because right now it just feels like she abuses him since he is “under contract” and then he just is snarky in response.

Other than that, I’m excited to see where this book goes. Definitely a slooooooooow start.

EDIT: Overall, I feel like Vin is a little harsh and cruel at the start of this book (also, Vin confirmed to be okay with killing dogs). If this book ends up being more about her processing her trauma and guilt, then I'll be a little more accepting of this side of her.

Well of Ascension is generally accepted as the worst one. The whole book is pretty slow. It sets up nicely for Hero of Ages though and the stuff that you learn in it goes directly into Era 2.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Vin and her dog start slow but are the highlight of book 2 imo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How would you be if this thing ate your first real friend and mentor?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sab669 posted:

How would you be if this thing ate your first real friend and mentor?

As Elend said Kelsier was dead. A corpse. OreSeur didn't eat Kelsier. He ate Kelsier's corpse. Not only that, it was all according to Kelsier's wishes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Vin and her dog start slow but are the highlight of book 2 imo.

Agree 100%.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I mean if this was just Sanderson's way of saying "I wanted to give Vin a talking dog." then, I get it. I just hope that the hostilities between Vin and OreSeur don't last all book, because that could be tiresome.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Mordiceius posted:

As Elend said Kelsier was dead. A corpse. OreSeur didn't eat Kelsier. He ate Kelsier's corpse. Not only that, it was all according to Kelsier's wishes.

Very very very late full mistborn series spoilers: lol that didn’t work out so well for him in retrospect

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

:spock: emotional responses are not logical

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Haven't re-read the trilogy but I remember book 2 being the weakest.

Vin is still a teenager, and even if she was an adult it makes sense for her to not act 100% logical about OreSeur eating Kelsier's body, I mean, I would also be freaked out by that

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Torrannor posted:

So Rhythm of War will be out soon, which means it's once again time to make some predictions what will happen, and also to state what we hope to see in the book. I will be basing these on both the pre-released chapters of RoW, as well as Dawnshard.

Adolin will revive his blade. It was hinted at in Oathbringer, but thinking about it, how well will he be received as an ambassador when he shows up at the Honorspren's capital with a dead spren in tow? So this just has to happen. I wonder if he will be an Edgedancer, as Maya is an Edgedancer blade? Would be strange to have a second one after Lift. Or perhaps he can revive her without becoming a Radiant?

Shallan will not "deal" with her multiple personalities, and Veil at least will join the Ghostbloods after carrying out Mraize's mission in Shadesmar.

Kaladin will not swear his fourth ideal. Instead, when the Fused attack Urithiru, he will overcome some of his PTSD, preparing him for swearing his fourth ideal in the next book.

Szeth will use Nightblood to permanently kill that warcrimes Fused.

Dalinar will probably not do much, I predict Navani will outshine him. She has her own little plot going with the inventions, investigating that captured Unmade, and dealing with whoever sent her that threatening letter.

Venli will surely speak her second ideal. It's "I will seek freedom", and it will definitely be in the process of declaring independence from the Fused.

I'm still really unsure whether the Fused will manage to capture the tower and turn it against the Radiants. I'm leaning on "they will", but I could really see it going either way.

Rysn will continue to appear in interludes. I honestly don't think we will see the full power of her Dawnshard in Rhythm of War, but perhaps we will learn that a combination of X plus a Dawnshard might allow our heroes to defeat Odium, and book 5 will be spent searching for X and a Dawnshard. X (whatever that is) is likely in Shinovar.

Now for my with list of things I want to see:

More Renarin! More Glys! I really want to see more of those two, they have an interesting dynamic, and of course the mystery of the corrupted Radiant spren is super interesting.

While I was very pleased with the amount of Lopen we got in Dawnshard, there can never be too much Lopen. More Lopen please! More Bridge 4 please! How does Sigzil handle Kaladin's responsibilities, what are Drehy and Skar up to, how do they cope without Rock as a cook?

I wouldn't mind if we get a bit less Taravangian. Let him fade to the background for a bit, to set up his inevitable betrayal at a crucial point in book 5.

Seeing more of the Azish would be nice, especially how they handle the return of the Radiants.

I really hope Rlain and those Parshendi that Eshonai sent away will come into play this book. This is the perfect opportunity, with Venli coming to the tower with other Singers and the Fused. Rlain was criminally underused in Oathbringer, and I hope this changes in RoW.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Moash die. Horribly.

So, what are your predictions, and what would you like to see?

Predictions (All RoW preview chapters spoilers)

Agree with you that Adolin is going to revive the blade and is going to be the reason the spren are convinced. My twist is that I don't think Maya will want to bond with Adolin on the fact she's been dead for hundreds of years and will want to go do spren stuff/be alive. He'll bond with some spren though because he'll be so respected.

It will be revealed that Veil has been working with the Ghostbloods the whole time for real and it will cause Shallan to realize she's not in control of herself at all and needs to confront her memories. She might not do it for another book though.

Kaladin will say the 4th ideal not in battle but in surgery trying to save someone he loves (probably someone in bridge 4), and he will have to accept he cannot save them and move on to those he can save (something like that for the 4th ideal).

Szeth will absolutely use Nightblood while the tower is attacked and it will freak the Fused out massively when he permanently kills one of the big bads which could lead to Venli's moment below. I don't see Szeth doing much though until then.

Dalinar/Jasnah won't be in the book much at all, they'll be off fighting the battle off in Emul off screen so the other characters have time to shine.

Navani will become Bondsmith after Adolin/Shallan convince the spren to join the war fully and they will tell them how to awaken/bond the Sibling. Tower activates at key moment.

Venli will start a civil war within Odiums ranks. Seems obvious. She'll convince some of the fused to switch sides just like with what happened with the Skybreakers.

That's all I really have. Honestly I hope I'm wrong on most of these as it seems a bit boring. I do think this book is going to be mostly set up for the final book though. Hope I'm wrong.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

insider posted:

Predictions (All RoW preview chapters spoilers)

It will be revealed that Veil has been working with the Ghostbloods the whole time for real and it will cause Shallan to realize she's not in control of herself at all and needs to confront her memories. She might not do it for another book though.

(RoW preview chapter spoilers)
This one for sure. Furthermore, Veil is absolutely the one who killed Ialai.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Not a RoW prediction, just a wish:

Zahel/Vasher better let fuckin' loose. It would be a stretch for him to have a surprise automaton army lying around, but he's a goddamn mad scientist and I'll be disappointed if all he has to offer is swordsmanship and ad hoc awakenings. I am hopeful he eventually helps Navani figure out the tower. He also needs a reunion with Nightblood so he can teach Szeth the ultimate technique of THROW SWORD AT BAD GUY MOB AND WAIT FOR RESULTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^ugh, yea, I want more Nightblood/Szeth/Vasher stuff too