Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

volts5000 posted:

Who in the gently caress could've seen this coming!

https://twitter.com/thor_benson/status/1326978332517408768?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-U2THOF00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Some of these comments seem like pure Republican fantasy. Cecilia Muñoz has been on the Biden transition team since early September, she oversaw a 50% decrease in overall deportations as part of the Obama team, she's a longtime immigration advocate and civil rights activist, and she's openly advocated against deporting anyone who is not a recent arrival or convicted of a serious crime. She was picked because of her experience in building out a transparent immigration apparatus out of nothing, which is precisely what the Biden administration will have to do.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 12, 2020

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Halloween Jack posted:

My favourite fake meat is the chorizo from Trader Joe's. I'm not even a vegetarian.

I need to try more of Trader Joe's stuff.

Non-food contribution to the thread:
https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1326974568360267783

That's a little surprising, maybe he lost some of his bloodlust over the years? Or at least a little more cautious about it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Can I just note how hilariously on-brand it is that the Democrats' pro-deportation ghoul is a Latina? #representation #girlboss

This will always, always be the symptom of liberal tokenism. See also: black police chiefs in blue cities (Brown in Chicago, Outlaw in Philly, Best in Seattle, as examples) presiding over the absolute shithousing of BLM protesters. Somehow this poo poo is more palatable when the person delivering the tear gas, the deportations, the beatings, or the killings can claim to share an identity with the victims.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JT Jag posted:

Can I just note how hilariously on-brand it is that the Democrats' pro-deportation ghoul is a Latina? #representation #girlboss

hire 👏 more 👏 latinx 👏 deporters

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Wow. Looks like we found the reason they never complained much about trumps immigration policies; they supported them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

JT Jag posted:

#girlboss

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just a reminder for the rest of the thread, as DrNutt laid it out earlier and we reiterated, don't do this.

There are plenty of ways to say how ghoulish someone is without doing that. Post accordingly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kalit posted:

That's a little surprising, maybe he lost some of his bloodlust over the years? Or at least a little more cautious about it.

that was known for a while. he was more infavor of more info and maybe a drone strike or something because he was afraid if poo poo went bad with dudes on the ground. it would look/be very bad.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Kalit posted:

Very likely the latter (without commenting either way on the former). That decision was risky as hell no matter how you cut it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I hope that the media chooses to just ignore everything Trump says after Jan 20th.

I don't know.... he is just going to go on about this for YEARS, probably until the day he dies. I'm exhausted and it's been about a week of this poo poo.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Gerund posted:

oof, this is the kind of ghoul that makes people stop voting for your party forever. No wonder the talk for months was "we don't see Latinos as our path to victory".

Now they're just trying to ensure they're never a path to victory again. That'll teach them not to vote for joe.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kaal posted:

Some of these comments seem like pure Republican fantasy. Cecilia Muñoz has been on the Biden transition team since early September, she was oversaw a 50% decrease in overall deportations as part of the Obama team, she's a longtime immigration advocate and civil rights activist, she's openly advocated against deporting anyone who is not a recent arrival or convicted of a serious crime. She was picked because of her experience in building out a transparent immigration apparatus out of nothing, which is precisely what the Biden administration will have to do.

"Serious crime." How's that defined again? Oh and lol I almost missed it, but why should "recent arrivals" be prioritized for removal? Is there an actual reason for this or is it because those are easier targets? Mentioning "recent arrivals" in the same breath as "serious criminals" is a fun trick I saw her do in an interview, but it seems pretty ghoulish to equate the two rhetorically.

And has she made any public statements about three year olds defending themselves in immigration court? I'd love to hear her take on that if you have any links.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 12, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just a reminder for the rest of the thread, as DrNutt laid it out earlier and we reiterated, don't do this.

There are plenty of ways to say how ghoulish someone is without doing that. Post accordingly.

Please update the rules listed somewhere with all of the "this almost sounds like a slur and is now banned" because otherwise it's just unreasonable to expect us to keep track.

Is it sexist to keep using "hire more women prison guards" i missed this whole debate

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

It’s kind of touching in a very weird and awkward way

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Wicked Them Beats posted:

"Serious crime." How's that defined again?

And has she made any public statements about three year olds defending themselves in immigration court? I'd love to hear her take on that if you have any links.

I'm very excited to learn if rebuilding the immigration apparatus means we get branded Joe Biden Baby Jails or if they can find a way to admit they hosed up without saying it like that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1326983101881470981

looks like trumps is pulling an airlines industry now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is complete horseshit, but whatever, you're the boss.

The Oldest Man posted:

This will always, always be the symptom of liberal tokenism. See also: black police chiefs in blue cities (Brown in Chicago, Outlaw in Philly, Best in Seattle, as examples) presiding over the absolute shithousing of BLM protesters. Somehow this poo poo is more palatable when the person delivering the tear gas, the deportations, the beatings, or the killings can claim to share an identity with the victims.
Wasn't there a Democratic mayor saying that the BLM protests turned violent because of white toxic masculinity or something like that?

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It’s kind of touching in a very weird and awkward way
Ehhh his brand of political theatre incites violence. I personally think that the fears of mass violence are overblown, but the sooner he wraps it up and fucks off to be a TV personality again, the better.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gerund posted:

I'm very excited to learn if rebuilding the immigration apparatus means we get branded Joe Biden Baby Jails or if they can find a way to admit they hosed up without saying it like that.

Those are just the current baby jails though

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that was known for a while. he was more infavor of more info and maybe a drone strike or something because he was afraid if poo poo went bad with dudes on the ground. it would look/be very bad.

Oh whoops, I didn't realize that it was already known, thanks for letting me know.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

The Artificial Kid posted:

Sorry I know this was many pages ago, but I am working my way through the thread to catch up.

I never thought about it in these terms before, but the choice to say “3 million illegal votes” in 2016 means that Trump’s preference is to have America perfectly divided. He picked a number that meant he was “really” exactly even with Clinton, rather than, say, choosing to be the clear popular vote winner himself.

Not really, the only thing he cared about was whether his vote total was bigger than Hillary's or not. Whether that total was a plurality or majority is immaterial as long as it was bigger.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Wasn't there a Democratic mayor saying that the BLM protests turned violent because of white toxic masculinity or something like that?

Yeah Jenny Durkan (Seattle mayor) went in hard on the "good protestor/bad protestor" narrative and basically tried to frame any direct action or refusals to disperse as white male privilege.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kalit posted:

Oh whoops, I didn't realize that it was already known, thanks for letting me know.

it fine. its been known for years and was one of trumps less used flails against biden.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

My favourite fake meat is the chorizo from Trader Joe's. I'm not even a vegetarian.
Protip: Mix that with some fontina, Brussels sprouts, and cranberry dijonnaise for a dope pizza.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah Jenny Durkan (Seattle mayor) went in hard on the "good protestor/bad protestor" narrative and basically tried to frame any direct action or refusals to disperse as white male privilege.

This is further complicated by things like white supremacists burning down an autozone that it would have been completely reasonable for black protestors to burn down. Which is the goal of such ops

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Kalit posted:

The OBL raid went as good as it possibly could, but it was a huge risk. Essentially, Obama signed off on American Spec Ops raiding into what is ostensibly an American military ally without their knowledge or approval. The fact that the only real failure of it all was a crashed helicopter they had to leave behind was real lucky on their part. Any and all dust up with the Pakistani military would be a colossal international scandal.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

We need to bailout the trump admin.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it fine. its been known for years and was one of trumps less used flails against biden.

As noted, Biden's been around since Desert One days. He has seen it go wrong.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If they start looking for another job, are they double plus fired?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Harold Fjord posted:

Please update the rules listed somewhere with all of the "this almost sounds like a slur and is now banned" because otherwise it's just unreasonable to expect us to keep track.

Is it sexist to keep using "hire more women prison guards" i missed this whole debate

We had a multi-page derail about it yesterday and I'm a firm believer in the basic philosophy of "If I am using someone's gender, orientation, or race as part of my dunk, I should probably not post it", but sure, we can find a way to codify it somewhere.

I personally think the hire more women prison guards meme is overplayed but that's not what we asked people to refrain from posting and there is some truth to it, so it's fine.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

sexpig by night posted:

https://twitter.com/JarJarFan69/status/1326961278259138560

I guess he didn't learn a bunch from his ebola time

The tweet is deleted now

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pick posted:

As noted, Biden's been around since Desert One days. He has seen it go wrong.

yeah, Operation Eagle Claw was a loving shitshow as was Black Hawk Down/etc.

https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1326989666055299074

also its not over.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Gerund posted:

People need to realize that just because you get dirtsheet reports from behind the kayfabe doesn't mean you aren't a mark for the worked-shoot.

What am I reading? Did I just have a stroke?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

We had a multi-page derail about it yesterday and I'm a firm believer in the basic philosophy of "If I am using someone's gender, orientation, or race as part of my dunk, I should probably not post it", but sure, we can find a way to codify it somewhere.

I personally think the hire more women prison guards meme is overplayed but that's not what we asked people to refrain from posting and there is some truth to it, so it's fine.

It's the same substance, it's a critique of using the identity of the person to mask the inherent badness of their position. IE, bosses are bad, and "girlboss" is not empowering when said boss is doing evil, hosed up poo poo. I can see how it is inapplicable to the current lady being discussed, as no one was saying "she's a woman so she'll be great on immigration." Regardless, punishments that can theoretically lead to ramp for breaking just recently made up rules that aren't actually listed anywhere you'd go looking for rules is bad.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 12, 2020

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Oldest Man posted:

Those are just the current baby jails though

The OP said there was a need to rebuild the immigration apparatus, and I simply must know if that means doing Obama+ or admitting that what was done under Obama as "experience" and "qualifications" needs to be repudiated.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Harold Fjord posted:

It's the same substance, it's a critique of using the identity of the person to mask the inherent badness of their position. IE, bosses are bad, and "girlboss" is not empowering when said boss is doing evil, hosed up poo poo.

Sorry you feel that way but we're still standing by what we decided yesterday. Again, you can very easily critique how ghoulish that person is without needing to make her gender apart of your critique. If you're unable to do that :shrug:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It's a lot of wrestling jargon

kayfabe - an act put on for the show; pretending to have grudges or that the fights and such are real and serious

dirtsheets - I think it's documentation of the stuff for keeping kayfabe

mark - a person that buys into the act. Contrasted with "smarts" who are in on it

work/shoot - the split between fake stuff as part of the act or grift and when it suddenly becomes real because the actors buy into their own act or put real grudges and vengeance into their fake actions, or that there's another layer to the grift: an obvious one that only catches marks, and a subtler one that catches smarts (who are the true marks for those in on the scheme)

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 12, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DeeplyConcerned posted:

People need to realise that just because you know it isn't real and the performers are content with you knowing that, it doesn't mean that you're privy to everything that's real and isn't real, and they might be planning to fool you with something anyway.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, Operation Eagle Claw was a loving shitshow as was Black Hawk Down/etc.

https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1326989666055299074

also its not over.

the electors thing is some end of america poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'd like the word 'Jew' also probation worthy, then, because you can totally say that in a way that makes it sound hosed up, so that means it's also a slur.

Same with 'queer', because the standard is now apparently 'if it's literally possible to be used with bigoted intent then it is'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
They will get dragged into the streets and shot if they defect jfc