Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A somber as gently caress chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This manga.

Just... this manga.

Denji's not back up to 100 percent yet, but the TV and Kobeni are right. He's always been revving up for another go sooner or later, no matter how bad the hits he's taken.

Something that feels a little odd, though, is Kishibe suggesting that Makima's put silencing Kobeni high on her priority list. Not absurd, to be clear. And if we're just taking it on "What Kishibe reasonably assumes", there's no issue at all. The only odd bit there is how she let Kishibe get away after telling him everything, even though she had a clean shot.

Add in that she's been the person most encouraging Denji to think, and...

I don't know. It's maybe nothing.

It just doesn't quite feel like nothing.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I don't remember if we've seen Kobeni & Denji (as Denji) hang out before... what a good pairing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Denji spending time with Kobeni is good because she’s probably the closest thing to a normal person he’s interacted with since the manga started.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Nice use of light when Kobeni lectured him.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
this is a pretty well rounded squad, all things considered I could see kobeni being the only one to survive

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

This manga.

Just... this manga.

Denji's not back up to 100 percent yet, but the TV and Kobeni are right. He's always been revving up for another go sooner or later, no matter how bad the hits he's taken.

Something that feels a little odd, though, is Kishibe suggesting that Makima's put silencing Kobeni high on her priority list. Not absurd, to be clear. And if we're just taking it on "What Kishibe reasonably assumes", there's no issue at all. The only odd bit there is how she let Kishibe get away after telling him everything, even though she had a clean shot.

Add in that she's been the person most encouraging Denji to think, and...

I don't know. It's maybe nothing.

It just doesn't quite feel like nothing.

I don't like where this maybe leads, and I dread the possibility of it.

This was a good chapter. I'm interested in seeing how he responds to the fame.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm kind of hoping for a dumb reveal that devils get weaker with the adoration of the public, but hybrids, being half human, actually get way stronger.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Kobeni don't get too close to Denji. I want you to live.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Hypocrisy posted:

Kobeni don't get too close to Denji. I want you to live.

If anything she's the one who will kill Denji in the end, if he dies.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Kobeni, kill Denji"
"...ah!"
"Ill give you 5 bucks"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arzaac posted:

I'm kind of hoping for a dumb reveal that devils get weaker with the adoration of the public, but hybrids, being half human, actually get way stronger.

Hes a manga protagonist, it is a given

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

If anything she's the one who will kill Denji in the end, if he dies.

I mean, he's died a lot so far.

He just doesn't stay dead. That's what being a manga protagonist means.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Shounen protagonists and their comrades are supposed to face death with a smile. Kobeni actually fears death, and that aspect is part of what makes her so compelling. Reminds me of when the manga spent time with Power's trauma post-Darkness Devil. Not the usual way of things.

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 7, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I love every chapter of this manga because I don't know whats happening. Last we left off Denji was throwing the peace sign to Kishibe who was offering to help him escape Makima. Now we're in a run down safe house where Denji & Kobeni are having a heart to heart and TV news is breaking the fourth wall and it looks like Denji is about to have some sort of realization.

No idea what next chapter could even be!!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Jerkface posted:

No idea what next chapter could even be!!

We’re finally getting the Tomato Devil’s backstory.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I read this chapter while Guts' theme from Berserk was playing and it was very fitting.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So, do you think Denji still has a thing for Reze?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

denji, become chainsaw man

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

So, do you think Denji still has a thing for Reze?

It's been months since she (as far as he knows) ditched him, so I don't think so.

He's got a dozen bigger things to worry about right now anyway, and he's not the kind of guy who fits a ton of ideas in his head at once to begin with.

I mean, if he sees Reze again, and he's not busy, it could maybe go somewhere, but right now his Makima related issues take precedence. (Also his feelings for Power, wherever those are going. If nothing else, he made a contract.)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Shounen protagonists and their comrades are supposed to face death with a smile. Kobeni actually fears death, and that aspect is part of what makes her so compelling. Reminds me of when the manga spent time with Power's trauma post-Darkness Devil. Not the usual way of things.

haha imagine hating life while being afraid of dying it's a real hellish existence lol

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Plutonis posted:

haha imagine hating life while being afraid of dying it's a real hellish existence lol

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

It's been months since she (as far as he knows) ditched him, so I don't think so.

He's got a dozen bigger things to worry about right now anyway, and he's not the kind of guy who fits a ton of ideas in his head at once to begin with.

I mean, if he sees Reze again, and he's not busy, it could maybe go somewhere, but right now his Makima related issues take precedence. (Also his feelings for Power, wherever those are going. If nothing else, he made a contract.)

i mean, depending on how clearly he remembers his stint as full-power chainsaw man, he might be able to put 2 and 2 together and realize what actually happened to reze.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Work seasonal retail Denji it could be so much worse!

I think Kishibe has been anti Makima a long rear end time from what we’ve seen so expecting tricks from him. If he’s under her control it would feel lame now o feel.

Great colour spread

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Finished fire punch also, Fujimoto loves the old “this ain’t the hero of a manga in real life??!” Bits lol as well as movies.

Fire punch had cool ideas that rarely landed imo vs chainsaw man which is all hits

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

EmmyOk posted:

Work seasonal retail Denji it could be so much worse!

I think Kishibe has been anti Makima a long rear end time from what we’ve seen so expecting tricks from him. If he’s under her control it would feel lame now o feel.

Great colour spread

This spread immediately reminded me of Dorohedoro.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Great chapter, drat.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

I do enjoy the implications that have been revealed so far, both in terms of themes and plot. From our initial viewpoint, Denji's actions and whims have simply been based on single-mindedness and short-term goals, but with what has been revealed thus far, the question becomes what actions has been his and what actions may have been affected by Makima's control. Then again, even if Makima had not influenced Denji's action in the past, would he have made the same choices? Do you have free will if you just follow what other people say? Does free will even matter if you adhere to your basic desires? I think the only time Denji has ever rejected a request from Makima is when he opted to stay with Aki and Power rather than spend vacation with her, and that may have been his only real choice he made since he became chainsawman.

Ah looks like the themes are getting less and less subtle.

edit: Nonetheless, the theme it talks about is nuanced for a Jump manga. The lack of freedom is the norm; to be controlled and manipulated is normal. True freedom is an aberration. All hail the hivemind! All praise the algorithms!

Flair fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 10, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, definitely getting explicit about the themes.

Some kinda interesting speculation I saw on Japanese twitter talked about what might be Makima's weakness, based on recent events.

When Angel and Power managed to resist her, it was powered by love. (I'll leave the exact manner of the love to other discussion.) When Chainsaw Man was weakened, it was the result of an outpouring of love from the public.

Denji loved Makima when he first met her. And even if it's immature affection, it was sincere. (This contrasts with the rest of Public Safety, who either think of her as a necessary evil at best, or she put the whammy on them.)

Could be that the same things that let Makima hurt Denji so bad might be how he wins. Again, if we're mirroring FLCL, Naota loved Haruko even after everything, and Denji helped Reze out because he liked her despite the many, many murders. (Which was a real and important choice he made, even if the consequences wound up not mattering much. Give yourself a little credit, Denji!)

Dunno if that's how things will go, but it did kind of track with some of my thoughts on the whole setup right now.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 12, 2020

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://imgur.com/a/DD30nWn

Speed Translatin'

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Again I go to my last post, how could you ever expect this chapter based on the preceding one???????????????????????????? Its impossible. I love it, and I wonder what Denji thought about on how to kill Makima or what he is even going to do here.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me, before reading the chapter: I wonder how they'll set up Denji vs Makima?

The chapter: Set up? What is set up? ALL IN BAYBEE

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Again I go to my last post, how could you ever expect this chapter based on the preceding one???????????????????????????? Its impossible. I love it, and I wonder what Denji thought about on how to kill Makima or what he is even going to do here.

I dunno what to tell you, man. It's pretty standard screenwriting.

We just finished Hero goes on killing spree and date in pursuit of burgers, followed it up with the traditional revival and self-sacrifice of the most popular character, and went through the classic secret hideaway bonding session over the definition of normality.

Where else would it go but

Final battle between hero and love interest over the value of bad movies?

I mean, not criticizing Fujimoto for execution, but I think we all should have seen it coming a mile away. I mean, I just described half of all Frank Capra movies up there. Being surprised by this result is like being surprised that children who see the star that drives them insane go insane.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like this. It fits way better then having a long drawn out training arc or something. It also furthers Denji's development.

Also, Makima was shocked.

Is it me, or did Kishibe's scar swap sides of his face a few times. I feel like something was very off about his perspective.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I like this. It fits way better then having a long drawn out training arc or something. It also furthers Denji's development.

Also, Makima was shocked.

Is it me, or did Kishibe's scar swap sides of his face a few times. I feel like something was very off about his perspective.

Yep. Scar switches sides a few times there. Figure it'll be fixed in the volume release.

Something that was probably intentional, on the other hand?

Check out Denji's arms in the last segment. He may not be in Poochita's crazy four armed super mode, but whatever he's got going on, it's brand new.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I love that this is the standard argument versus a forced utopia - a flawless world has no room from flaws, which are ultimately the most human thing of all - but just done in one sentence, using the medium we know both Denji and Makima care about. It really makes it work in such a small amount of time.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm half expecting this to end with Kobeni running over all of Makima's crew with her car, except her car is now an X-wing for some reason.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I love that this is the standard argument versus a forced utopia - a flawless world has no room from flaws, which are ultimately the most human thing of all - but just done in one sentence, using the medium we know both Denji and Makima care about. It really makes it work in such a small amount of time.

"Makes it work in such a small amount of time" is almost a Chainsaw Man box quote.

I mean, it's to be expected of a blend of FLCL and Abara, but it's still worth noting how much of Chainsaw Man is just as long as it needs to be to do its job right.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep. Scar switches sides a few times there. Figure it'll be fixed in the volume release.

Something that was probably intentional, on the other hand?

Check out Denji's arms in the last segment. He may not be in Poochita's crazy four armed super mode, but whatever he's got going on, it's brand new.

Yeah I noticed that as well, but I wasn't sure if it was actually something or actually the first time we had a good look at his arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

chiasaur11 posted:

"Makes it work in such a small amount of time" is almost a Chainsaw Man box quote.

I mean, it's to be expected of a blend of FLCL and Abara, but it's still worth noting how much of Chainsaw Man is just as long as it needs to be to do its job right.

I’m sad that we are on the falling action segment of the story. This has been the most entertaining manga I’ve read in a while, and I’ll be sad to see it go. There’s something to be said for not dragging out the story, though, and finishing it in whatever insane manner Fujimoto has cooked up.